PDA

View Full Version : Killstreaks in PS2?

Doctor Digit
2011-07-08, 10:38 PM
I might have heard this a little bit wrong, but around 2:45-3:00 in the video it does sound like they'll have some sort of killstreak system in PS2.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/huge-scale-planetside-2/717179

Zulthus
2011-07-08, 10:50 PM
Shaping up to be more and more like Call of Battlefield: Modern Planetside 2

I notice he also said they're trying to decide between quick knife and equippable knife... wow

SKYeXile
2011-07-08, 11:03 PM
if quick knifes one shot in planetside. and guns still have the same TTK, they're retarded and the game should be shut down right now.

Bags
2011-07-08, 11:12 PM
If someone is getting in melee range of you with radar you're generally doing it wrong. I don't agree with copying COD knife style, but I don't think it will be the end of the world. Unless everyone can sprint with a gun out ala COD and they remove radar.

I'm fine with killstreaks as long as it's only a visual thing and doesn't give you any call in abilities.

Edit: oh fuck they do have sprinting.

Sirisian
2011-07-09, 12:01 AM
if quick knifes one shot in planetside. and guns still have the same TTK, they're retarded and the game should be shut down right now.
Did you watch the videos completely? They said the TTK is faster now apparently.

Bags
2011-07-09, 12:05 AM
Good that they actually have the ability to track what vehicles we pull, what guns we use, etc. Well, good for them as developers.

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 12:10 AM
Did you watch the videos completely? They said the TTK is faster now apparently.

just watching it now.

Senyu
2011-07-09, 12:30 AM
People have been mentioning alot of Call of Duty similarities and with the video it does seem like it. But until we can actually get a feel for the gameplay I think it should wait. For example dieing. In Call of Duty it was quick couple pops and your dead. Planetside soldiers seemed a bit tougher and took more than a couple shots. Unless its by a Jackhammer noob. Other than that I hope in this its not as easy to die like in Call of Duty but still vulnerable

etheral
2011-07-09, 12:50 AM
Ugh, killstreaks on the table? :(. Not particularly happy about that, but i'm willing to wait and see what they do with it.

Not too happy with the idea of a quick knife either.

An idea that I had for melee combat was that players would normally have to draw their knives like they do in PS1, but the faction assault rifles would have some kind of bayonet lug, so players could attach their knives for CQB, giving you an instant melee attack as well as the ability to shoot, and then take them off again when fighting at distance. The downside would be that attaching your knife makes you suffer either a considerable accuracy penalty (30%?) or make you lose the ability to ironsight. Hopefully that should mean that during base sieges there is a reason to use something other than HA.

Thoughts?

Sirisian
2011-07-09, 12:50 AM
As I mentioned to a person in the IRC chat, the whole idea with Planetside is that you can take a lot of damage (and it doesn't need to be explained by the advanced armor) because it allows players to retreat and heal. It gives medics and engineers a reason. If you can shoot someone and kill them in a second then the incentive for players to heal (if they survive) is almost nullified. Basically you'll be doing a lot more reviving than healing.

Personally I like taking 10 rounds in rexo and being given the opportunity to react. Someone in the channel said "if I see you first then I should get the kill" and I just don't believe it should be that easy. I'm sure everyone has shot a skilled player that's damaged and instead of fighting they speed-run up the stairs and you can't kill them. This is a tactical move that you don't seen in other games really. There's a sense of staying alive in Planetside. You might take some pop shots at an enemy and they'll hide behind a tree and heal.

The other reason for the long TTK is that it uses rounds and forces players to reload causing a delay. This limits the kill streaks they can get averaging most players that aren't very good to a 1/1 k/d ratio. If TTK was too low then someone could easily kill multiple people with a single clip. (Not that you can't right now with HA).

Raymac
2011-07-09, 12:59 AM
Sounds like they want to make this a Planetside for the masses. So bring us your kill whores, your campers, your try-hards, and n00bs yearning for an epic gaming experience.

I'm not too worried about killstreaks being too overpowered. Even COD learned to tone down the killstreaks after MW2.

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 01:02 AM
grats you have skeeter farmed 15 people, please choose your target for orbital strike.

VVN.

Raymac
2011-07-09, 01:04 AM
Why stop at an OS? Why not full on nuclear holocaust?

Bags
2011-07-09, 01:11 AM
grats you have skeeter farmed 15 people, please choose your target for orbital strike.

VVN.

They said OS is unlocked via "skill points" and there is still CR and BR.

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 01:14 AM
They said OS is unlocked via "skill points" and there is still CR and BR.

oh sure they say its unlocked by that, how about how its activated...hrrrmmm?

Bags
2011-07-09, 01:17 AM
oh sure they say its unlocked by that, how about how its activated...hrrrmmm?

OS seem too tactical to be unlocked by a kill streak, seeing as you can get them indoors.

But that is possible, I guess.

dsi
2011-07-09, 01:21 AM
I thought this was a troll thread based on the title.

This is horrible.

Bags
2011-07-09, 01:32 AM
So they say they're designing it for "new" and "old" players so where's the stuff for the old players?

3 empires
massive fight

That's all I see that's designed with us in mind.

Doctor Digit
2011-07-09, 01:32 AM
I wouldn't call it horrible by any means. I may not care for Killstreaks, but I'm still very optimistic about this game, especially when we have only had two days worth of good info. Looking forward to more information and videos coming out in the future and I'm sure PS2 will be a phenomenal game in the end.

Bags
2011-07-09, 01:34 AM
I wouldn't call it horrible by any means. I may not care for Killstreaks, but I'm still very optimistic about this game, especially when we have only had two days worth of good info. Looking forward to more information and videos coming out in the future and I'm sure PS2 will be a phenomenal game in the end.

This. While I don't want the gameplay to turn into COD, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't play it even if they did.

I don't mind taking some things, but I really hope we don't end up with COD on a massive scale.

Doctor Digit
2011-07-09, 01:42 AM
I think that with the Alpha or Beta testing if the game is too much like COD, there will be quite a sizable uproar from the testers and the community itself. I pray that it doesn't get that bad, so far I still am pumped about it, it's different from the original PS for sure, but I'm curious on how their new changes will pan out.

krnasaur
2011-07-09, 01:47 AM
OK guys, this is a huge misunderstanding. they are talking about halo kilstreaks, where all you get is a KILLTACKULAR! or whatever pop up on the screen, with how indepth this game is i doubt you will get a OS/something overpowered from getting a killstreak

Raymac
2011-07-09, 01:49 AM
Just keep stroking those reward pathways in my brain. ooohhhh yeah.

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 01:50 AM
what about the MERITS, WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE MERITS!?

Bags
2011-07-09, 01:55 AM
OK guys, this is a huge misunderstanding. they are talking about halo kilstreaks, where all you get is a KILLTACKULAR! or whatever pop up on the screen, with how indepth this game is i doubt you will get a OS/something overpowered from getting a killstreak

That was my first guess. I mean, players fly planes so calling in a heli doesn't make much sense, and we already have radar.

Just a visual YOU'RE DOING GOOD, PAT ON THE BACK is all I imagine it will be.

CutterJohn
2011-07-09, 02:06 AM
Or something subtle, like TF2 does. You know they have kill streaks, right? Few notice. If you're on a roll, the game rewards you with an improved critical hit rate.

Elude
2011-07-09, 02:08 AM
How about they just remove the knife entirely and just go with bashing players with your weapon.

As for kill streaks I agree that they wont be COD style but more UT style.

Bags
2011-07-09, 02:16 AM
Or something subtle, like TF2 does. You know they have kill streaks, right? Few notice. If you're on a roll, the game rewards you with an improved critical hit rate.

Yeah, let's not do that. If anything give dominations but no crit.

dsi
2011-07-09, 02:17 AM

This is what I'm hoping it is after watching the Q&A session, he seemed to be struggling for a proper terminology for "player doing good, getting lots of kills" and just came out with that.

Also CutterJohn, TF2's crit sprees are very noticeable and competitive players play without them enabled as it is largely luck based, even with the "more damage, more crits" probabilities. Dominations could be cool though ;p

CutterJohn
2011-07-09, 02:25 AM
How about they just remove the knife entirely and just go with bashing players with your weapon.

Or finally quell the myth that melee is in anyway suitable in a modern or futuristic war. Cept maxes.. That would hurt if one of those pimp smacked you.

@dsi: Don't much care for how the competitive people play the game. They aren't the gospel on correct. And dominations are pointless with populations like PS has. Be very rare to get one.

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 02:39 AM
@dsi: Don't much care for how the competitive people play the game. They aren't the gospel on correct. And dominations are pointless with populations like PS has. Be very rare to get one.

Nah, happens all the time, everytime you get a hate tell, that's a person you dominated.

PsychoXR-20
2011-07-09, 03:28 AM
I wouldn't mind kill streaks like BF2142 had. Basically it just gives you a little pin and says good job and that's it. You can have a little pride knowing that you have 8000 5 kill streak pins, and others can see that too and know that you're a better player than they are. I wouldn't turn my back on the game if they are CoD style kill streaks, but I would rather they not go that route.

The more they say the more the game sounds like an MMO version of BF2142, which I think is great. 2142 is probably my second favorite multiplayer FPS because of its similarity in pacing to PlanetSide. It's Sci-fi, but still retains a modern feel to it (not to many laser guns) and it's not unreal or MW paced (movement speed is slower, TTK is slower and the gameplay in general is slower).

DviddLeff
2011-07-09, 04:03 AM
That's the impression I get Psycho; BF for me is perfect game play wise, it just needs to be on a massive scale.

COD is too quick for me; its just death match in too small arenas, I need team based objectives with time to develop real tactics.

Kill streaks it sounds to me is more about the pat on the back as people have said, not critical bonuses or rewarding you with nukes...

Quick knife I support; mainly because if you can get close enough to someone, especially with the new faster TTKs, you deserve to get a good kill; loved it in all the BF games. Only concern is how that will work with cloakers...

DxC
2011-07-09, 04:38 AM
Was just about to ask with that question Dviddleff Cloakers would be intresting to say the least

Give me back my melee boost and darklight yay!

Bruttal
2011-07-09, 04:59 AM
Well i think its gonna be more skill based stuff like for instance, you unlock the skill "Napalm Strike" but it just sits there, then you get a Mossy out and start killing inf you get say 10 kills, then you unlock your "Napalm Strike" and you can preset your location so all you have to do is fly over it and it will dump the Napalm.

Revers could do the same thing with Rolling Thunder, and grunts prob not attack dogs but maybe RCDX type thing. then for AA users SAM's Turret but more manual and field deployable.

Just a Guess anyways, Thought about quickknife i think you should make people equip it every time basicly you can only hold the knife in a pulled out poistion when you put it away it goes to your inventory. Quick kill with it i dont mind if someone gets that close to me with one then i should die lol.

DxC
2011-07-09, 06:04 AM
would be a bit daft mind though as normal trying to quick knife a max unit... would turn around and ask wtf your doing and do you want your tin opener back?

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 06:14 AM
Just a Guess anyways, Thought about quickknife i think you should make people equip it every time basicly you can only hold the knife in a pulled out poistion when you put it away it goes to your inventory. Quick kill with it i dont mind if someone gets that close to me with one then i should die lol.

yea but howmany times in planet are you fighting that close? imagine walking into the frontdoor of an amp station, guy has audio amp on(since 3rd person is out now) knifes you in the back. around the corner in a tower, knifes you in the face as you come around the corner, you come upto get your reaver out of a fight terminal in a dropship or tech plant, knifed.

oh yea...

DID I MENTION THERE IS STEALTH...DERP.

stealth + instantgib knifes = retarded. and again if they're planning that, shut it down now.

Bruttal
2011-07-09, 06:31 AM
SKYeXile your such a negtive person, is your glass half empty?. heres some more liquad.

You have audio amp too buddy, and if theres a type of darklight ya have another protection. and if there camping a single area how long do you think there gonna last agianst 800 people who saw him kill someone, or was told by that person who did die?. communication is key in planetside after all

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 06:43 AM
audio amp does not detect somebody unless they're moving.

this is a game prelaunch, im not going to suckup devs ass and go OMG THE IDEA IS GREAT FEED US SOME MORE. im going to be criticise everything i feel is broken or would not work based of the current into we have.

and instantgib quick knifes, in the current planetside, even if the weapons have faster TTK's and no 3rd person would be broken.

CutterJohn
2011-07-09, 06:51 AM
Quick knife I support; mainly because if you can get close enough to someone, especially with the new faster TTKs, you deserve to get a good kill; loved it in all the BF games. Only concern is how that will work with cloakers...

I'm fine with it, so long as its not instakill. Knives suck. Melee sucks. It doesn't belong in warfare. If you want a melee kill, be prepared for many seconds of grappling, and hope he doesn't shoot you, since a bullet > any knife.

I don't care if you are close to someone. Shooting them will still be the far more preferable option. Sure, backstabs i could see being instakill, but by the same reasoning, back shootings should be as well.

*Rant brought to you by the many people in bad company 2 that could charge you while you were shooting them, and flick there knife for an instant kill.

Sentrosi
2011-07-09, 06:58 AM
One way to counter an infiltrator coming into your base is to have a sort of stealth field analyzer in each base. This analyzer would read the area and alert whenever an infiltrator is inside the base. It could alert down to the room or it could alert to the base itself.

The only counter to this would be taking the gens down. Once the gens go up the analyzer takes a good 5 minutes to reboot itself. This gives any cloaked inside a fighting chance to accomplish it's goals.

LordReaver
2011-07-09, 07:41 AM
This limits the kill streaks they can get averaging most players that aren't very good to a 1/1 k/d ratio.

Umm.. The average player has a 1/1 ratio. Skill has nothing to do with it, it's math. Someone must die for every kill. When you factor in death by tree, and other non kill deaths, you return an average player ratio of less than 1/1. In other words, more than half the people in the game die more often than get kills.

Bruttal
2011-07-09, 07:47 AM
Umm.. The average player has a 1/1 ratio. Skill has nothing to do with it, it's math. Someone must die for every kill. When you factor in death by tree, and other non kill deaths, you return an average player ratio of less than 1/1. In other words, more than half the people in the game die more often than get kills.

LOL so true, woops bailed out of my vehicle before i got to the other side.... bubble bubble bubble .... dead lol or OMFG RUN 2 vanguards chasing us bam damnit who put that tree there.

CutterJohn
2011-07-09, 07:51 AM
Nevermind, I can't read. Disregard fail post.

Firefly
2011-07-09, 08:11 AM
I'm fine with it, so long as its not instakill. Knives suck. Melee sucks. It doesn't belong in warfare. If you want a melee kill, be prepared for many seconds of grappling, and hope he doesn't shoot you, since a bullet > any knife.

I don't care if you are close to someone. Shooting them will still be the far more preferable option. Sure, backstabs i could see being instakill, but by the same reasoning, back shootings should be as well.

*Rant brought to you by the many people in bad company 2 that could charge you while you were shooting them, and flick there knife for an instant kill.
I understand the reason and the intent behind your post, but then there's the part of me that wore an Army uniform and deployed downrange - that part has a hard time accepting some alternate reality when it comes to warfare. Whilst a majority of this is true (and brought on by a video game rant), in close quarters you don't get the option to say "Hmm, I think I'll shoot this guy who's closed in on me". If he's THAT close to you then A) you've fucked up and B) you go for whatever is at hand. Preferably, yes, that would be your bullet-shooting weapon. But if they're inside your reach you're fucked. You can't bring that to bear without stepping back. So you go for something else - a knife. Or maybe your sidearm. The reason why we still have bayonets is because A) it's intimidating, B) when you run dry you have a weapon, and C) it functions as a combat knife for when someone gets inside your engagement area.

I hope they have someone on their team that knows weapons and isn't a complete gamer dipshit. Knives are not insta-kill weapons. Like, hardly ever. A knife wound can kill you quickly if you bleed out, but that's about it. Everything else is slow as compared to a bullet to the face. That horse shit in the movies about sneaking up on someone and cutting their throat and it being quiet and quick? Total bullshit. It's noisy, it's messy, and it's not as quick as they make it seem. So I hope they don't make knives an insta-gib option like CutterJohn mentioned regarding BadGame 2.

Spark
2011-07-09, 08:21 AM
After watching the Q&A I got the impression that killstreaks weren't something that splashed flashing text on your screen, rather something that subtly increased your XP gain. That's an understandable reward considering the player did something special either by luck or by skill. I'm not a fan of quick-knifing though, especially if people are opting to rush you in close/medium combat rather than use cover effectively while shooting.

I don't know if this makes much sense, but PS1 to me seemed like an MMO (for lack of a better word) reworked into an FPS. PS2 is looking to be a modern FPS worked into an MMO. Obviously with PS2 we'll be seeing more shooter conventions, but whether that's a good or bad thing I have no idea.

BorisBlade
2011-07-09, 08:36 AM
Faster TTK's will suck. When you have 1000 people, dieing fast like you do in the awful CoD games just means you spend all your time respawning. You have no need for medics and no need for engineers to repair armor, nor does the various armor types really have much impact. This guy is clearly a CoD fanboy and needs to stop tryin to copy that awful game. If i want CoD i will play CoD. I play PS cause its not at all like CoD.

And no to the knife. not sure what retard thought that instant death knifing makes sense. Just runnin around and insta-gibbin every person you get in melee range of, which is easy now with sprint, is just flat out terribad gameplay and not even remotely realistic. Leave knives like PS1. Where it takes a good 3 hits or so and the animation is slow enough that any person with a brain would use a gun not a knife, cloakers can use em for stealth kills but soldiers should not have much reason to use em. You dont see our military soldiers knifing insurgents, cause its stupid, doesnt take em out like a gun would, and will most likely get you killed. So keep it halfway realistic, leave the knives out of the gun fight.

And am i the only one who doesnt like that Higby guy? I'm not exactly a fan of his ideas on what PS should be either. Tryin to turn it into a CoD MMO is a terrible idea. CoD plays terribly. And even more so in a persistant large scale game. Although the beta tests will quickly show this out if they keep doin this crap.

CutterJohn
2011-07-09, 08:41 AM
Is that the guy who does 90% of the talking? If so, he looks, acts, and talks almost exactly like my boss, except skinnier and longer hair. Its quite freaky.

Highwind
2011-07-09, 09:40 AM
With regards to "quick knifing", the way I imagine it might work well for everyone.

In PS you had to equip your knife, there was an upfront equip time before you could attack with it (pulling it out) and extra time to equip is effectively added if you need to put away your current weapon (often the case). This upfront equip time ruins many of the scenarios where a non-stealth MIGHT ever knife someone, like for example in lieu of reloading to finish a hurt target they were sparring with in a hallway. To many the knife didn't exist in Planetside for all intensive purposes, and that isn't really fair the potential that it could bring to the table if balanced right.

It is important to note that the Knife in PS-one had two modes, one hit harder than the other (the weaker, the slash, and the harder, the stab)

If in Planetside 2 the goal was to just get the knife some more play time the "quick knife" would do that, but it should be balanced around the the weaker of the two knife attacks, the slash. Not that is has to be a slash (could be a rifle butt hit, or whatever) but it should be a weaker melee attack then for example taking the time to SWITCH to your real full powered knife, which I assume you would also have and would nearer to a 2-3 hit kill.

(For examples we are using the Planetside 100 health scale, and zero armor)

With "quick knifing" done this way you effectively you give every "gun" the option do a light melee attack that might do say 15-20 health of damage (less with armor etc) but wouldn't have any equip time worth noting, you would just swing at a fairly fast speed right while having your gun equiped. To balance the use of that rapid fast attack put a longer "reload" on the back end of that fast attack so that it can't be spammed more then once or used for more then a finisher really, while at the same time limiting slightly the speed at which the user can get back to their main weapon more or less forcing a re-equip animation.

Other posters are right, we should be using our guns, but in unique places I can see where a "fast" light attack might "out skill" someone you choose to just reload, where you put your life on the line to end it then and there with a quick hit, that sounds like it could be both fun and fair.

Thoughts on that perspective?

2coolforu
2011-07-09, 10:31 AM
I understand the reason and the intent behind your post, but then there's the part of me that wore an Army uniform and deployed downrange - that part has a hard time accepting some alternate reality when it comes to warfare. Whilst a majority of this is true (and brought on by a video game rant), in close quarters you don't get the option to say "Hmm, I think I'll shoot this guy who's closed in on me". If he's THAT close to you then A) you've fucked up and B) you go for whatever is at hand. Preferably, yes, that would be your bullet-shooting weapon. But if they're inside your reach you're fucked. You can't bring that to bear without stepping back. So you go for something else - a knife. Or maybe your sidearm. The reason why we still have bayonets is because A) it's intimidating, B) when you run dry you have a weapon, and C) it functions as a combat knife for when someone gets inside your engagement area.

I hope they have someone on their team that knows weapons and isn't a complete gamer dipshit. Knives are not insta-kill weapons. Like, hardly ever. A knife wound can kill you quickly if you bleed out, but that's about it. Everything else is slow as compared to a bullet to the face. That horse shit in the movies about sneaking up on someone and cutting their throat and it being quiet and quick? Total bullshit. It's noisy, it's messy, and it's not as quick as they make it seem. So I hope they don't make knives an insta-gib option like CutterJohn mentioned regarding BadGame 2.

I've had to deal with someone wielding a knife, I have never had to deal with someone wielding a gun. Yes knives are combat weapons but I mean, a proper bayonet charge hasn't been done since the Falklands war and that was against shittily trained Argentinian teenagers who just wanted to surrender, the last time there was any wide use of bayonets was in the world wars and the bayonet was a tool invented because single shot muskets sucked ass, now with every infantryman having semi and automatic rifles as standard they just aren't used.

It takes such a great deal of training to use a knife in any way, and the method they are used in games is just laughable, half the time you make some wild slash that probably wouldn't even cut through some shitty clothes. Not to mention the fact that EVERYONE in Planetside is wearing futuristic space armor made of exotic alloys I just don't see any place for a CoD style knife. Even modern body armor is basically knife proof, Planetside sort of subverted this by having knives with advanced characteristics (force-knives, magnetic fields etc) to try and explain how they could kill you, even then it took bionic enhancements to your muscle to even kill someone in two hits - that was good and it made sense however an instant kill knife does not fit into a world that has invisible men and future armor. What it boils down to is this, guns can be made more advanced, they can have SABOT ammunition or use magnetic powering or a better chemical propellent, a knife relies on a human and humans have a limit to how strong they can get - that limit is a result of being human and using muscles, ATP and having a skeleton made of a material with a set strength.

The US army recently discontinued bayonet training, yes a knife is a good thing to have 'Just in case', however it is 'Just in case'. It's a total last resort. Having knives on frontline infantry troops as a weapon that is actually effective is ridiculous, the situation in which a knife would actually be useful just doesn't arise in a videogame.

Elude
2011-07-09, 11:25 AM
Remove the knife, I just wanna beat someone over the head a couple times with the butt of my weapon.

Firefly
2011-07-09, 02:14 PM
I've had to deal with someone wielding a knife, I have never had to deal with someone wielding a gun. Yes knives are combat weapons but I mean, a proper bayonet charge hasn't been done since the Falklands war and that was against shittily trained Argentinian teenagers who just wanted to surrender, the last time there was any wide use of bayonets was in the world wars and the bayonet was a tool invented because single shot muskets sucked ass, now with every infantryman having semi and automatic rifles as standard they just aren't used.

It takes such a great deal of training to use a knife in any way, and the method they are used in games is just laughable, half the time you make some wild slash that probably wouldn't even cut through some shitty clothes. Not to mention the fact that EVERYONE in Planetside is wearing futuristic space armor made of exotic alloys I just don't see any place for a CoD style knife. Even modern body armor is basically knife proof, Planetside sort of subverted this by having knives with advanced characteristics (force-knives, magnetic fields etc) to try and explain how they could kill you, even then it took bionic enhancements to your muscle to even kill someone in two hits - that was good and it made sense however an instant kill knife does not fit into a world that has invisible men and future armor. What it boils down to is this, guns can be made more advanced, they can have SABOT ammunition or use magnetic powering or a better chemical propellent, a knife relies on a human and humans have a limit to how strong they can get - that limit is a result of being human and using muscles, ATP and having a skeleton made of a material with a set strength.

The US army recently discontinued bayonet training, yes a knife is a good thing to have 'Just in case', however it is 'Just in case'. It's a total last resort. Having knives on frontline infantry troops as a weapon that is actually effective is ridiculous, the situation in which a knife would actually be useful just doesn't arise in a videogame.
I wasn't talking about a bayonet charge, I was talking about having the bayonet. :rolleyes: The Marine Corps at least got it right as a whole and came up with the kabar, which is one of the knives I took overseas (thanks Dad). Practically nobody fixes bayonets unless it's for some ceremony. But you still take it with you and wear it on your gear. Knives have their function, that function actually being a tool. In a video game, the only time anyone should be using a knife is as an infiltrator. Hollywood that shit up, unless you're going for realism (in which case you should also refrain from using silencers because Hollywood got that wrong, too).

And just a minor correction: the US Army discontinued bayonet drills/training in BCT/AIT. A number of infantry units still train it because of its inherent physical and martial value, as well as the fact that bayonet training isn't just using a bayonet, but using your weapon as a melee object.

Sirisian
2011-07-09, 02:44 PM
:rolleyes: You missed the point of what I said. I acknowledged the average and said in order to bias the game toward that average then a slower TTK forces that because of reaload times. It's much easier to kill three people in a row if you're not reloading because the new TTK might be so much faster.

I brought this up because I had friends that tried to get into this game and aren't that great. It's very discouraging for beginners when they die 100 times without a kill. A faster TTK gives a huge advantage toward skilled player essentially allowing for kill streaks to happen. Take the current Planetside. Really good players might only be getting a 20/1 k/d whereas with the new system I fear that number might explode.

Bags
2011-07-09, 02:50 PM
:rolleyes: You missed the point of what I said. I acknowledged the average and said in order to bias the game toward that average then a slower TTK forces that because of reaload times. It's much easier to kill three people in a row if you're not reloading because the new TTK might be so much faster.

I brought this up because I had friends that tried to get into this game and aren't that great. It's very discouraging for beginners when they die 100 times without a kill. A faster TTK gives a huge advantage toward skilled player essentially allowing for kill streaks to happen. Take the current Planetside. Really good players might only be getting a 20/1 k/d whereas with the new system I fear that number might explode.

Most of the time when you see insane KDs like 60 / 2 and 74 / 1 they were gotten inside of a vehicle.