PDA

View Full Version : Getting ping fucked in PS2?

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 12:50 AM
I dunno if there is another Q & A session for PS2, but it would be nice to know if forge light will be playable on a high ping(200) like the original planetside, or can we expect more terrible hitscan and attempting to compensate for latency ourself s like in gaybal agenda.

For those that dont know, i play from Australia, while i have a decent connection, the pacific ocean gets in the way of things.

Anyway there is a large community of oceanic players looking for a decent PvP MMO, it would be nice to know if planetside will be it or we will be at a large disadvantage due to our ping.

reposted post from planetside.com:

With some info Quovatis posted yesterday on the planetside syndicate i must say im alittle concerned. now im certainly no expert on netcode or anything, but iv read alot on the internet and played alot of games with high ping to know afew things anyway heres what he said:
Is the hit detection client-side or server-side? We all know how frustrating it is to get killed after you've already taken cover on your screen. The developers want to minimize the effect of lag in PlanetSide 2. Hit detection will use a hybrid model of client and server-side tracking. Physics will be handled by the client, and some other details will be handled by the server. I was told the target latency is around 100-150 ms maximum. How this would be achieved or enforced is unknown. However, there will be multiple servers, so players can choose the server with the shortest latency.

Gaming especially MMO gaming in Australia, has never been the greatest, simply due to the fact its 150ms ping, minimum, across the pacific. Planetside is one of few shooters playable on a high ping due to clientside hit detection(CSHD) because there is no need to compensate for latency manually in your aim, a hit on your screen is simply a hit.

In Quovatis post while the first "We all know how frustrating it is to get killed after you've already taken cover on your screen." is merely more a comment rather than accrual info, the " target latency is around 100-150 ms maximum." I would say confirms planetside 2 will use a rather basic serverside hit detection(SSHD) code, similar to that of the Unreal series. This would mean every shot people fire, they would have to predict where their target would be on the server when their hit packet reaches it. because anything over 100-150ms it becomes pretty hard to predict where you target would be.
You should know that most games these days use while its not really a hybrid, its serverside hit detection, but you don’t require to manually adjust your aim to compensate for latency. This is typically called serverside hit predtection(SSHP) what it does it timestamp each packet, where your shot was fired and where it was at, when your packet then gets to the server it uses its buffer to rollback its data by the delay of your packet, and verify the details of your shot to detect the hit. Though this offcourse would put added strain on the server and is likely no going to be the code used to run 1000 players online, COD:MW and the source engine use serverside hit prediction. you can read more on SSHP:
here:http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking

Back to the "not been killed around corners part" in my experience this can only be solved by one method, using the basic serverside hit detection code, the reason people die around corners in PS1 is because the person who killed you, or you yourself have a higher ping, and on the person who killed screen you were still in line of sight for them. when their kill packet got to the server, you make think your were safe, but the fact is, you're already dead, you just dont know it yet, but this works both ways, you kill people when on their screen they're around a corner, you just don’t notice or think about it.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE WARPING!?!?, shut up, you're an idiot. Warping has nothing to do with hit detection or ping, warping is due to planetsides poor movement prediction system. planetside sends packets at about 5-7 ticks a second, i forget the actual number, BUT ITS LOW. This means while you’re rendering at 60 FPS, you have about 53 frames where your client must predict where your target is moving for those frames where it has no data. it offcourse predicts that they will continue to go in the same direction at the same speed of the last packet they sent. (this is why people warp though the roof in stairways) when your client then gets a new packet it "warps" everybody to there proper location at the time you received the packet. This type of movement prediction is called extrapolation.

Most games these days use something called interpolation, where your client runs at one packet behind the actual data it has received, it then renders everybody’s movement between the locations of the 2 packets received. most FPS games you play though are sending packets at about 27 ticks per second though, so you don’t notice any delay. couple that with the 10-30 ping you're getting, everything is smooth sailing and would be in planetside 2 aswell, except if they have a low tickrate again and the client decides its a good idea to render movement between a pillar, because on one packet you're on one side, the next you're on the other side, it simply connects the dots, PS2 will likely use this movement prediction, there will still be some funky shit to be seen if the servers tickrate is low, but certainly not as bad as extrapolation.

I said ping has nothing to do with warping, well that’s not a fact, merely an observation and using some logic, but a client with high ping still sends data at the same rate as a client on low ping, meaning there can only be the same amount of movement between packets and the same amount of correction or warp. When packets are lost though, as is the case with Chinese users, there is going to be longer in-between packets and as a result larger corrects aka: MORE WARP!

Now back to things that go hand in hand with basic SSHD, its a little something called hitscan, hitscan is a way of detecting if a bullet hits the target, it calculates that when fired the bullet travels along a line at infinite speed, and checks if anything in that line is hit. (eg: the shock rifle or lightning gun or chaingun in unreal) it basically means that bullets cant have a travel time, while they may animate a travel time, they don’t have one. It means bullets can have no dip or arc. Though not every weapon has to be hitscan in a game with SSHD, just expect every direct fire weapon to be using hitscan.

I hope that puts some people’s mind at ease about warping, but also raises questions, do you have the ping to play a game that uses base SSHD? Would you want to? But it also raises the question to SOE. Can you make a game that can still support international players on US servers? Unlike the Chinese, Australians run at a low packet loss, in my experience lower than some US players(i run a constant 0.0) and Planetside has a reasonable Australian playerbase that loves planetside and more MMO and FPS that I know would certainly play PS2 if ping only had the same effects as the original.

Bags
2011-07-09, 12:53 AM
Look at the name - "Forgelight". It's obviously fucking magic so they don't have to explain shit.

Zulthus
2011-07-09, 12:58 AM
They've already stated that playability and hit detection isn't reliant on ping NEARLY as much as PlanetSide 1.

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 01:05 AM
They've already stated that playability and hit detection isn't reliant on ping NEARLY as much as PlanetSide 1.

err where? i thought iv seen / read everything now.

DviddLeff
2011-07-09, 04:04 AM
Yeah I read that also, cant say exactly where though as I've trawled through 20 or so articles in the past 12 hours...

CutterJohn
2011-07-09, 04:22 AM

Not that SOE is the most reliable source concerning a product they want to sell.

I concede 10 years of advancements in netcode, server, and net infrastructure should make things better.. We'll see.

Vancha
2011-07-09, 08:50 AM
PlanetSide Universe: Ping will effect gameplay less than it did before.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/p-fan-faire-2011-live-coverage-67.htm

Came up on the second live blog.

LordReaver
2011-07-09, 09:55 AM
They will probably have a multiple servers for you to choose from. I suspect PS2 will have a lot more people than PS1 did.

wolfkrone
2011-07-09, 05:11 PM
Look at the name - "Forgelight". It's obviously fucking magic so they don't have to explain shit.

agreed

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 08:15 PM
Okay i think thats good news, not that it really effected gameplay beforehand, other than getting hit around corners, unavoidable with clientside hit detection or Serverside hit prediction.

unless they have developed some sort of fancy new type of hit detection nobody has even thought of yet alone made.

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 08:20 PM
They will probably have a multiple servers for you to choose from. I suspect PS2 will have a lot more people than PS1 did.

I would hope they bring back us west servers, still though thats 150min ping any Australian will get. and that could go upto 300 depending on your location in Australia.

i pinged 180-220 to markov. its playable, but i run into weird shit when playing on emerald/gemini.

Raymac
2011-07-09, 09:24 PM
Everytime I see the thread title, I think it's some 80's movie about a chinese exchange student losing his virginity in a summer of laughs and hijinks. Is that racist?

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 09:26 PM
Its in Future Crews mandate to include sexual innuendo in all threads.

SKYeXile
2011-07-10, 01:22 AM
from the syndicate:

"Is the hit detection client-side or server-side? We all know how frustrating it is to get killed after you've already taken cover on your screen. The developers want to minimize the effect of lag in PlanetSide 2. Hit detection will use a hybrid model of client and server-side tracking. Physics will be handled by the client, and some other details will be handled by the server. I was told the target latency is around 100-150 ms maximum. How this would be achieved or enforced is unknown. However, there will be multiple servers, so players can choose the server with the shortest latency."

...and I'm out. Personally i would much rather be killed around a corner 1000 times than not be able to hit my target because i have to lead them by 200ms. but anyway.

Sirisian
2011-07-10, 01:38 AM
100-150 ms is pretty high latency. That's England to the US latency. When I connected during my 45 days free I had a constant 33 ms latency. Pretty common for games.

If there was European server you might be better off. Those oceanic cables do have a latency hit though. :lol:

Australia is really screwed. I hear about it all the time how you guys have huge pings. I was getting like 250 ms latency when doing networking tests years ago with an Australian friend. That's usually a worst-case scenario latency test.

Bags
2011-07-10, 01:39 AM
from the syndicate:

"Is the hit detection client-side or server-side? We all know how frustrating it is to get killed after you've already taken cover on your screen. The developers want to minimize the effect of lag in PlanetSide 2. Hit detection will use a hybrid model of client and server-side tracking. Physics will be handled by the client, and some other details will be handled by the server. I was told the target latency is around 100-150 ms maximum. How this would be achieved or enforced is unknown. However, there will be multiple servers, so players can choose the server with the shortest latency."

...and I'm out. Personally i would much rather be killed around a corner 1000 times than not be able to hit my target because i have to lead them by 200ms. but anyway.

I wouldn't trust a quote from The9 back from when PSnext was just a graphical update for PS.

SKYeXile
2011-07-10, 01:44 AM
Its 150ms across the pacific, minimum. its an additional 50 across the US, then about another 100 to England. and that's how you get routed when connecting to Europe, Markov always had the lowest ping for me from 180-220...if wearner was lower, i would have played there.

and before anybody says China or Singapore, shut up, you're an idiot.

anyway ill remain hopeful that info is wrong, because even playing something with server side hit detection like unreal with 50-100 ping is annoying.

SKYeXile
2011-07-10, 01:48 AM
I wouldn't trust a quote from The9 back from when PSnext was just a graphical update for PS.

thats from the9? thats what quovatus just posted on planetside sydicate.

Bags
2011-07-10, 01:51 AM
thats from the9? thats what quovatus just posted on planetside sydicate.

The9 is the only people who use the phrase "the developer" when referring to SOE.

Edit: Oh. Didn't see the "s". Might not be them then. You can panic again.

SKYeXile
2011-07-10, 01:54 AM
The9 is the only people who use the phrase "the developer" when referring to SOE.

Edit: Oh. Didn't see the "s". Might not be them then. You can panic again.

thanks...

well on the other hand it is cheap to live in America....muppets.

Aractain
2011-07-10, 04:08 AM
Do you cyber your mossie?

It would be nice to have ping be a non-issue. Ill want to galavant around on some american servers for fun. (usualy got 200ish back then which was noticeably laggy for my fish stick (Lasher))

SKYeXile
2011-07-10, 07:35 PM
updated my original post with comments on PS1 and PS2 netcode and movment prediction.

ZeroOneZero
2011-07-10, 10:25 PM
When all else fails! lowerping.com. Need to wait until they put up PS2. :groovy:

SKYeXile
2011-07-10, 10:32 PM
When all else fails! lowerping.com. Need to wait until they put up PS2. :groovy:

Lowerping is a terrible service and only exists because of backward coded MMO's that have nagales agroythm still enabled that exponentially increases ping.

This was a problem identified YEARS ago by internode on wow servers, they still have not fixed it. On a game with decent netcode its not needed.

its 150ms across the pacific, a proxy cannot change that. 180ms is the best anybody will ever see to a Planetside 2 west server from Australia.

ZeroOneZero
2011-07-10, 10:40 PM
Lowerping is a terrible service and only exists because of backward coded MMO's that have nagales agroythm still enabled that exponentially increases ping.

This was a problem identified YEARS ago by internode on wow servers, they still have not fixed it. On a game with decent netcode its not needed.

its 150ms across the pacific, a proxy cannot change that. 180ms is the best anybody will ever see to a Planetside 2 west server from Australia.

Yeah that's true. :S Hope SOE can come up with a plan, I don't see why they can't have multiple servers outside the U.S. China would be nice. I'm from the middle east and I remember getting 1600-2000 ping on the first PS. I seemed like everyone else was speed hacking. :P

SKYeXile
2011-07-10, 10:46 PM
Yeah that's true. :S Hope SOE can come up with a plan, I don't see why they can't have multiple servers outside the U.S. China would be nice. I'm from the middle east and I remember getting 1600-2000 ping on the first PS. I seemed like everyone else was speed hacking. :P

umm ping tiems have improved over the years to china, i remember when they always used to be 400, but its a decent ping but still terrible network., and we would be playing with...unsavory people.

this is a 100mbs raw connection BTW:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1380115042.png

i much prefere the US result.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1380116328.png

ZeroOneZero
2011-07-10, 10:51 PM
umm ping tiems have improved over the years to china, i remember when they always used to be 400, but its a decent ping but still terrible network., and we would be playing with...unsavory people.

this is a 100mbs raw connection BTW:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1380115042.png

i much prefere the US result.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1380116328.png

Interesting...Yeah U.S. is the best choice so far. One can only hope! Like you have mentioned, ping plays an important roll in this game, it's no fun without the nice smooth transitions, especially for a FPS type game. Best of luck friend!:D

SKYeXile
2011-07-10, 10:54 PM
It does nto have to play a large part with friendly code...only evil code.