PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Logo

LordReaver
2011-07-09, 07:23 AM
I think the new logo looks kinda lazy.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5236/ps2logoo.jpg

It's like all they did was give it a tiny bevel and slap a diagonal gradient on it. It looks a little cartoony even. If they made the font themselves, I'll at least give them some props, but I doubt they did.

By comparison, here is one I made a long time ago.

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/4257/planetsideub2.png

Right click and view image for full size.

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 07:28 AM
I didn't want to say anything about it. the 2 is the worse part though, i thought the font was okay, but why not the original?

Lunarchild
2011-07-09, 07:33 AM
There is one big advantage in their logo over yours however: it is easily readable, it has contrast...

Ah well, the logo is the least of my worries ^_^

LordReaver
2011-07-09, 07:43 AM
Mine wasn't meant for contrast. My point was that they didn't put a lot of effort into it.

Proof that this stuff takes very little effort.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1627/unled3kkf.png

Surge72
2011-07-09, 08:38 AM
You say that they didn't put a lot of effor into it, and give two examples of your attempts. I will have to disagree with you there and say they have clearly put a lot of effort into it, more so than you, because I prefer their's to both of yours. Sorry.

Vancha
2011-07-09, 08:56 AM
Simple doesn't always equate to lack of effort. I think the logo works well with the sort of clean sort of spacey orange/teal vibe they're going for. The 2 does look pretty strange, though. Someone needs to tell it to stop dragging it's feet.

Edit: Your rusty Planetside looks pretty damn good though, Reaver.

Elude
2011-07-09, 08:56 AM
Complex logos were never very attractive to me except for perhaps Quakes.

I like it simplified.

LordReaver
2011-07-09, 09:50 AM
You say that they didn't put a lot of effor into it, and give two examples of your attempts. I will have to disagree with you there and say they have clearly put a lot of effort into it, more so than you, because I prefer their's to both of yours. Sorry.

"You say that they didn't put a lot of effor into it, and give two examples of your attempts."

Correct. Notice how I pumped out a similar quality logo in just a few minutes.

"I will have to disagree with you there and say they have clearly put a lot of effort into it, more so than you, because I prefer their's to both of yours. Sorry."

Your logic is terrible. Your preference of theirs does not prove they put much effort into it.

Here, let me clarify my point for you...

They could have done a better job.

Simple doesn't always equate to lack of effort. I think the logo works well with the sort of clean sort of spacey orange/teal vibe they're going for. The 2 does look pretty strange, though. Someone needs to tell it to stop dragging it's feet.

Edit: Your rusty Planetside looks pretty damn good though, Reaver.

Not always, but in this case I feel it does. They are making PS2 more grungy and war torn. Keeping the logo clean doesn't seem to fit what they are doing with the rest of the game. Even so, if they wanted a nice clean logo, that clearly had effort put into it, they should have gone back to the original one. It was simple and very unique looking.

razor851
2011-07-09, 10:49 AM
As usual with SOE, it seems half-assed.

Surge72
2011-07-09, 11:22 AM
Correct. Notice how I pumped out a similar quality logo in just a few minutes.

Your logic is terrible. Your preference of theirs does not prove they put much effort into it.

Notice how I prefer theirs to yours, therefore your quick attempts are not of equal quality to theirs (in my opinion).

And my preference of theirs does not prove they put much effort into it no, just like your distaste for theirs doesn't prove that they put no effort into it.

Elude
2011-07-09, 11:42 AM
It's like all they did was give it a tiny bevel and slap a diagonal gradient on it. It looks a little cartoony even. If they made the font themselves, I'll at least give them some props, but I doubt they did.

I don't think the logo was designed the same way any conventional photoshop user like yourself would do it, I highly doubt they simply just plastered bevel, and gradient filters on it haha. I think the game looks somewhat cartoony itself so I see no problem with the font following that same appearance.

Of course they made the font themselves! It's not exactly hard to create shapes that form letters...

Surge72
2011-07-09, 11:46 AM
The font also loosely resembles that of the first game (original, before the re-imaging), which I think is a nice touch.

Raymac
2011-07-09, 01:24 PM
I'm sorry, is this thread serious or are you all just being silly?

I mean you could say this exact same stuff about any logo for anything. pshh golden arches? I could have thought of that. pshhh a swoosh? thats lazy.

Bags
2011-07-09, 01:43 PM
Only on the planetside forums will we bitch about a logo.

MooK
2011-07-09, 01:55 PM
Logo thread? Logo thread.

http://www.pxoink.net/files/planetside2.png

http://www.pxoink.net/files/planetside2-logo.png

LordReaver
2011-07-09, 10:14 PM
Notice how I prefer theirs to yours, therefore your quick attempts are not of equal quality to theirs (in my opinion).

And my preference of theirs does not prove they put much effort into it no, just like your distaste for theirs doesn't prove that they put no effort into it.
That is a contradiction. "I like theirs more than yours, so yours is lower in quality" "My preference does not prove amount of effort applied" This is not about which one do you like more, they are completely different. The point is that they didn't do anything to make the logo stand on its own. Take the Mass Effect logo for example. It's not a whole lot different, however they made it unique by adding a swooshy thing across it. Or like I said before, the original logo was better. It has a font that has an interesting spikey/warpgate like effect to it. These logos stand out, they are unique.

I don't think the logo was designed the same way any conventional photoshop user like yourself would do it, I highly doubt they simply just plastered bevel, and gradient filters on it haha. I think the game looks somewhat cartoony itself so I see no problem with the font following that same appearance.

Of course they made the font themselves! It's not exactly hard to create shapes that form letters...
That's pretty much how it's done. Photoshop is an industrial tool afterall. That's why it cost over $1000 normally. The lowest price I've seen for it was $180 with a student license (http://www.academicsuperstore.com/products/Adobe/Photoshop+Extended). Also, many companies just buy font. You can fork out money for someone to design one, or you can pay less money and get one already made, because there are tons out there.

I'm sorry, is this thread serious or are you all just being silly?

I mean you could say this exact same stuff about any logo for anything. pshh golden arches? I could have thought of that. pshhh a swoosh? thats lazy.
No, those logos you described are unique. Arches? gotta be McDonald's, Swoosh? Nike obviously.

Logo thread? Logo thread.

http://www.pxoink.net/files/planetside2.png

http://www.pxoink.net/files/planetside2-logo.png

Those I would say could be better than the PS2 logo.

In the end, I don't really care, I just have an opinion.

PsychoXR-20
2011-07-09, 10:47 PM
I'm still partial to the original logo:
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5827/pslogooriginal.jpg

LordReaver
2011-07-09, 10:53 PM
lol, yeah, that one is pretty bad.

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 10:59 PM
ill go there:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/SKYeXile/psbf.jpg

Elude
2011-07-09, 11:44 PM
That's pretty much how it's done. Photoshop is an industrial tool afterall. That's why it cost over $1000 normally. The lowest price I've seen for it was $180 with a student license. Also, many companies just buy font. You can fork out money for someone to design one, or you can pay less money and get one already made, because there are tons out there.

I never said they didn't use photoshop lol, I simply said they didn't design it the same way any conventional photoshop user like yourself would do it.

That logo is more then likely hand drawn in photoshop with definitely drafts outside of photoshop, I think you underestimate the simple things game developers do to create games.

You really think they didn't thoroughly think of how the text should look?

As for the price and popularity of photoshop, that has nothing to do whether or not they used it. After all that's like saying they more then likely made all of their 3D model content in Autodesk Maya which is far more expensive then photoshop mind you. I'm sure they designed most of their 3D model content through a number of programs like 3ds Max, lightwave, or zbrush.

To think that the logo for their game was done purely in photoshop without drafts outside of photoshop or even methods of designs in other adobe programs like illustrator is insane, all because the logo looks simple enough for an average photoshop user to make.

krnasaur
2011-07-09, 11:54 PM
wow.

People on the internet will bitch about ANYTHING. I think its fine.

Firefly
2011-07-10, 12:08 AM
Arguing about a fucking logo.

Well, gents. We've nitpicked PS2 to death so why not be a tight-ass about the logo and start a goddamned pointless petty argument? This reminds me of the time Ron Paul wanted to spend tens of billions in government money to find out how much money was REALLY left in Ft Knox.

= fucking worthless.

Sethsocrazy
2011-07-10, 12:22 AM
If the logo is all we have to complain about, I'll be happy.

LordReaver
2011-07-10, 01:24 AM
I never said they didn't use photoshop lol, I simply said they didn't design it the same way any conventional photoshop user like yourself would do it.

That logo is more then likely hand drawn in photoshop with definitely drafts outside of photoshop, I think you underestimate the simple things game developers do to create games.

Lot's of game logos are made in Photoshop. I doubt they would draw a gradient by hand, when you could just use a filter and get the same thing. My point was that what they did was simple.

You really think they didn't thoroughly think of how the text should look?

Making it worthy of publishing and being good are two different things.

As for the price and popularity of photoshop, that has nothing to do whether or not they used it. After all that's like saying they more then likely made all of their 3D model content in Autodesk Maya which is far more expensive then photoshop mind you. I'm sure they designed most of their 3D model content through a number of programs like 3ds Max, lightwave, or zbrush.

*Sigh* I was only pointing out that photoshop is not some little app you can download to make funny pictures for the internet. I thought I made that rather clear.

To think that the logo for their game was done purely in photoshop without drafts outside of photoshop or even methods of designs in other adobe programs like illustrator is insane, all because the logo looks simple enough for an average photoshop user to make.

I'm not even the one who brought up photoshop. I was not talking about their techniques for making the logo. I was criticizing the logo itself.

I notice a lot of people crying about non existent crying. I find this amusing and ironic.

Elude
2011-07-10, 02:14 AM
You whine about me whining about you whining about a logo.
Lot's of game logos are made in Photoshop. I doubt they would draw a gradient by hand, when you could just use a filter and get the same thing. My point was that what they did was simple.

I wasn't suggesting that everything was designed by hand in photoshop. My point is even simple things can have complex techniques when being designed. I feel the logo looks very similar to the original planetside logo and that it does portray a slight cartoon look very much like the game itself does.
Making it worthy of publishing and being good are two different things.

Not necessarily, in my eyes if it's not worthy of publishing then it's not good or well thought out.
*Sigh* I was only pointing out that photoshop is not some little app you can download to make funny pictures for the internet. I thought I made that rather clear.
Of course, I never once stepped over into saying it was designed for any old person so they can make silly signatures on forums.

I'm not even the one who brought up photoshop. I was not talking about their techniques for making the logo. I was criticizing the logo itself.
No you did not, but I assumed you did when you started mentioning the use of gradient and bevel filters on their logo(of course these are not exclusive photoshop features, but that's just what I happened to link it to).

Grimster
2011-07-10, 02:24 AM
Tbh I could care less about the logo. I doubt WoW had its success because they had an awesome logo. :D

I think in the trailer the logo was the one thing I payed the least attention to. :)

LordReaver
2011-07-10, 04:38 AM
Tbh I could care less about the logo. I doubt WoW had its success because they had an awesome logo. :D

I think in the trailer the logo was the one thing I payed the least attention to. :)

Could that not be because it's not a very good logo? ;)

Actually, I remember reading an article a long time ago, about how significant a good looking company logo was to their success as a business.

Blackice
2011-07-10, 02:09 PM
I'm fine with them being lazy on the logo if that means they are putting more time into the game.

Hamma
2011-07-10, 10:08 PM
Well said :lol:

I'm happy with the Logo, it doesn't need to blow my socks off.

ZeroOneZero
2011-07-10, 10:13 PM
I think I need to download a program or an extension. All the pics you guys posted up have an image of frog inside an icecube. If that's the new PS2 logo I'm down for it. :D

Jennyboo
2011-07-10, 10:13 PM
Well said :lol:

I'm happy with the Logo, it doesn't need to blow my socks off.

I concur :)