PDA

View Full Version : Traveling through regions in PS2

Death2All
2011-07-09, 03:21 PM
They stated in their panel that the continents are broken up in smaller regions throughout the continent.

I was curious to know how travel works with these regions. Can we seamlessly travel through each region or is there a load time when going into that region? Are we going to be able to fight at the edge of the region trying to push into another one much like how you sometimes fight at a warpgate trying to get into the cont?

Personally, I'd much prefer being able to seamlessly travel through regions since there can apparently be hundreds of them on a single continent. While a loadtime probably wouldn't be too long I feel that it could possibly break up the game and tarnish the "persistence" of it if we need to load a region everytime we go to one.

Just my thoughts

Bags
2011-07-09, 03:22 PM
"No instances."

Surge72
2011-07-09, 03:23 PM
Indeed, no instances. They made it pretty clear that the continents are just one big map. The regions they were talking about are probably just related to the territory control system. They can alter the control maps by playing with what region belongs to what bunker/facility/etc.

Death2All
2011-07-09, 03:23 PM
"No instances."

Yes, I know they stated there's no instances. They didn't say anything about if traveling from one region to another results in a loadtime. We can speculate that, but a few people on the panel said that they lurk these forums so maybe by a stroke of luck I could get some clarification.

Bags
2011-07-09, 03:26 PM
Yes, I know they stated there's no instances. They didn't say anything about if traveling from one region to another results in a loadtime. We can speculate that, but a few people on the panel said that they lurk these forums so maybe by a stroke of luck I could get some clarification.

If there's a load time it is instanced. I imagine as you come into viewing distance you will begin to see more unimportant objects load in(bushes, etc), but I imagine most things will load in the background before you come in range.

DviddLeff
2011-07-09, 03:35 PM
They have said that Forgelight is designed to allow for seamless transitions across the world.

However there are obvious warp gates, so I think we'll have 1000 people on a single continent using the seamless technology, but use warp gates as before to travel between them.

artifice
2011-07-09, 03:46 PM
If there's a load time it is instanced. I imagine as you come into viewing distance you will begin to see more unimportant objects load in(bushes, etc), but I imagine most things will load in the background before you come in range.

You are confusing zones with instances.

basti
2011-07-09, 03:49 PM
To put it simple and stop this discussion:

"Can we seamlessly travel through each region"

Yes, you can. Load times only if you switch the continent.

Bags
2011-07-09, 03:53 PM
You are confusing zones with instances.

Same deal, they both great up game play and aren't what planetside is about.

HunterMaximus
2011-07-09, 04:28 PM
To put it simple and stop this discussion:

"Can we seamlessly travel through each region"

Yes, you can. Load times only if you switch the continent.

Agreed. I got the distinct impression from watching the session videos that the "regions" as they discussed really only related to controllable territory and resources. Analogous to SOIs, except that every part of a continent is covered by one (and of course there are different properties and benefits, etc).

Raymac
2011-07-09, 05:44 PM
This is something I'd like to pin the devs down on because it really could be a game of semantics they are playing. To me, when I hear "No zones" and "Yes continents" I hear a contradiction. In PS1, Hossin is a different zone than Searhus which is a different zone than Cyssor, etc.

So the question is, what is the transition between these continents? Is it totally seamless or are the continents totally separated? I mean if the ONLY way I can get from one continent to another is via a warpgate, then that is still zoning. A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Volw
2011-07-09, 05:52 PM
This is something I'd like to pin the devs down on because it really could be a game of semantics they are playing. To me, when I hear "No zones" and "Yes continents" I hear a contradiction. In PS1, Hossin is a different zone than Searhus which is a different zone than Cyssor, etc.

So the question is, what is the transition between these continents? Is it totally seamless or are the continents totally separated? I mean if the ONLY way I can get from one continent to another is via a warpgate, then that is still zoning. A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Nope, it's pretty simple - no zones within a continent. Just like PS1.

LordReaver
2011-07-09, 10:49 PM
Ok, I think the problem here is you are all using different words.

What I have gathered...

There will be servers like Markov, Emerald, and Werner.

There will be conts/zones like Cyssor, Ish, Hossin, "Indar". I think the confusion here, is that technically speaking these are called servers.

Regions are more analogous to the grid than anything else. If you look at conts. Like real life nations (you have to "load" between them), regions are like states or little territories where there is no real "boarder".

Aractain
2011-07-09, 11:22 PM
Im still confused.

Is there one world with a load of land masses in it with water inbetween that can be flown over (future water expansion area lol)?

Or is it a set of several seperate continent maps (exactly like planetside 1)?

CutterJohn
2011-07-10, 12:02 AM

Then there are load times, and the continent is an instance. :)