PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

Higby
2011-07-09, 04:11 PM
Hey PSU!

As you may have surmised I'm Matt Higby, the creative director for Planetside 2. I've been lurking on these boards for a long time and I'm really stoked to finally be able to talk about Planetside 2 outside the confines of our office.

As is often the case with these things, our revelation of Planetside 2 and some of the systems and features of the game has spawned even more questions than it answered. I'll definitely be around to clarify some points where I can and I'm looking forward to being able to give you guys some direct, exclusive looks into the development process for the game in the near future as well.

I've been really happy to see that the majority of the folks on this board are excited by what we've revealed and I'm sure that as we start showing you guys more of where we're heading that some of the holdouts will come around too. We've got a solid direction with PS2 that the team is really excited about and things are really coming together amazingly well.

Anyways, I just wanted to pop in, introduce myself and let you know that this is an incredibly important community to us and we are here and we are listening.

Thanks all, until next time!

Bags
2011-07-09, 04:13 PM
Wasssuup. Yay for dev-community interaction. Looking forward to our concerns being addressed.

Manitou
2011-07-09, 04:14 PM
Hail and well met! Thanks for stopping by our humble abode - we hope you feel welcome. :D

We are for the most part excited about this game. Those less so will come around as the details about it emerge, I am sure!

Death2All
2011-07-09, 04:14 PM
Hey, Higby. It's nice to seem some interaction for a change.

I have a question regarding inventories. Will they still be in the game? Are we going to be able to make our own loadouts with as much ammo/medkits/grenades as we want? I know that you're using a class based system now, which still puzzles me a bit...

Are the classes going to have a predefined loadout for you to use? Are we still going to have equipment terminals and favorites we can make?

Bags
2011-07-09, 04:15 PM
Hey, Higby. It's nice to seem some interaction for a change.

I have a question regarding inventories. Will they still be in the game? Are we going to be able to make our own loadouts with as much ammo/medkits/grenades as we want? I know that you're using a class based system now, which still puzzles me a bit...

Are the classes going to have a predefined loadout for you to use? Are we still going to have equipment terminals and favorites we can make?

Ooh, good question. I'll be really sad if we don't have inventories and loadouts. It was always fun to have to scavenge for stuff like ammo and medkits, and I will be really sad if we cannot pick up enemy weapons.

basti
2011-07-09, 04:19 PM
Welcome Higby!

Just tell me, what faction are you?

Bags
2011-07-09, 04:20 PM
Welcome Higby!

Here's to hoping he's TR, since the rest of the devs seem to be VS and NC!

klu
2011-07-09, 04:21 PM
welcome, and i gotta say the more i hear about the territory system the more i like it, sounds like a serious improvement over ps. i have a vs question, in ps we were told we had longer ttk weapons in exchange for being the 'mobility empire'. with jump jets and seaborne combat for all empires does this mean the vs will get rifles that can actually kill stuff? will all empires get flying maxes?

HunterMaximus
2011-07-09, 04:23 PM
I realize this isn't really a Q&A session, but I think one thing a lot of people around here would like is a few more details on the mechanics of the skills system and the timer, how it relates to BR and the old cert system.

I was happy to see in one of the Fan Faire sessions you appreciated the beauty of the PS 1 cert system, so I (and I think many others) are very curious how the new system differs and how it retains the strengths of the old system.

Dreamcast
2011-07-09, 04:26 PM
Welcome....quick question

Are you guys considering headshots?

Actually I want headshots......Perhaps sacrific your accuracy and rate of fire for headshots using the weapon mods you guys talked about.

razor851
2011-07-09, 04:27 PM
I love your hair.

Bags
2011-07-09, 04:28 PM

please no. The actual combat pace of planetside 1 was perfect, in my opinion.

Higby
2011-07-09, 04:28 PM
Welcome Higby!

Well, I tend to be rebellious and a bit of a loose cannon and so I've always played NC in the past... but, since I've been running a design team I'm starting to see the practical appeal of strict authoritarian discipline and TR is looking mighty appealing...

Higby
2011-07-09, 04:30 PM
I love your hair.

Hah, thanks. Maybe if I show my wife your comment she'll let me keep it. :cry::cry::cry:

basti
2011-07-09, 04:34 PM
Well, I tend to be rebellious and a bit of a loose cannon and so I've always played NC in the past... but, since I've been running a design team I'm starting to see the practical appeal of strict authoritarian discipline and TR is looking mighty appealing...

TR? NC? Go die in a fire. :P

And tell T-Ray that he is ONE SEXY BEAST! GO VANU GO! :D

Canaris
2011-07-09, 04:52 PM
Great to see you here Matt, thanks for all the info you guys gave us from the Fan Faire, still sifting through it all.

Don't think I've been this excited about a game before.

p.s. You could always tell your better half that since everyones seen you at the fan faire your hairs been trademarked by SOE :lol:

Raymac
2011-07-09, 05:11 PM
Higby, thank you so much for unveiling Planetside 2, and showing us the really amazing direction you are taking it. Also, I think I can speak for all Planetside fans when I say "Good Luck". We hope this game will be as successful as it is ambitious.

Seeing you talk about the game, I really get a great sense of comfort and excitement. I'll be looking forward to every update.

BlazingSun
2011-07-09, 05:56 PM
Hello.

I hope your visit here will not only be a short plessure and you will visit und join us more often in the coming months.

While I'm aware that the people on this forum are only a fraction of the new playerbase and our opinions are not necessarily equal to those of the average gamer, I still think that we can help to push the game into the right direction in certain areas if SOE chooses to listen to us now and then.

Just a word of warning though. To a certain degree some of the old PS Dev teams tried to put some player ideas into the last game as well, which brought us BFRs, Core Combat, the wasp, and some other lesser evils. Not only the idea matters, but also how you implement it. I'm just saying. :groovy:

2coolforu
2011-07-09, 06:08 PM
Good to see developers who care, good luck with development!

Gogita
2011-07-09, 06:23 PM
Hey! It's good to see higher-ups getting in contact with the low folk ^^

I second this question. Please do not add headshots...

Bruttal
2011-07-09, 06:45 PM
Hi matt, I know your no stranger to PSU but now we can officially welcome you!. if you haven't already check out our ps:next wishlist theres alot of trash in there but there are some cool things ;).

Mirror
2011-07-09, 06:55 PM
Welcome to PSU Matt!

Zulthus
2011-07-09, 06:56 PM
Welcome Matt, glad to see the developers interacting with and listening to the community. :)

BorisBlade
2011-07-09, 07:06 PM
Always great to see dev involvement with the community. Glad to have ya around PSU man!

MgFalcon
2011-07-09, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the best community that has kept me informed for the past years on PS stuff and what-not. My only suggestion for y'all is to hire some extremely attractive girls [3] for a poster-marketing campaign (VS, TR, NC themed of course). Hands down: best marketing campaign yet.

I cannot wait for the sequel of the best game I have ever played (in my life). Also please be sure that long-ago vets get the credit we deserve :)

basti
2011-07-09, 07:17 PM
And bang, you just got as high on my eternal respect list as T-Ray and Scott Brown (End games, former NetDevil), simply because of that Reddit QnA that happend a few minutes ago. Never seen something like that done by a guy in your position. Awesome, just awesome. :)

Bags
2011-07-09, 07:19 PM
Ye, it's amazing how much less pessimistic the community becomes when we actually get information, even if we don't like it. ^_^

MooK
2011-07-09, 07:19 PM
Hey PSU!

As you may have surmised I'm Matt Higby, the creative director for Planetside 2. I've been lurking on these boards for a long time and I'm really stoked to finally be able to talk about Planetside 2 outside the confines of our office.

As is often the case with these things, our revelation of Planetside 2 and some of the systems and features of the game has spawned even more questions than it answered. I'll definitely be around to clarify some points where I can and I'm looking forward to being able to give you guys some direct, exclusive looks into the development process for the game in the near future as well.

I've been really happy to see that the majority of the folks on this board are excited by what we've revealed and I'm sure that as we start showing you guys more of where we're heading that some of the holdouts will come around too. We've got a solid direction with PS2 that the team is really excited about and things are really coming together amazingly well.

Anyways, I just wanted to pop in, introduce myself and let you know that this is an incredibly important community to us and we are here and we are listening.

Thanks all, until next time!

I'm both surprised and impressed that this development team has so far characterized such passion for this game, and also a willingness to interact with the community. I hope that even in the face of such a difficult job, you and your fellow developers maintain that passion and willingness to interact. Good luck, and don't let the whole "everyone is expecting this to be the greatest game" thing get to you. Seriously this had better be the greatest game I've ever played.

Head on down to the IRC some time, heh.

Aractain
2011-07-09, 07:20 PM
Hello. No pressure overseeing Planetside's future btw....... :)

Firefly
2011-07-09, 07:51 PM
I like chicken sammiches.

Sentrosi
2011-07-09, 08:14 PM
Welcome to our small hole in the universe. I want to say something poignant and memorable here, but I'm like Chandler Bing, always saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. So I'll keep it short. I like lamp. I...like lamp.

Firefly
2011-07-09, 08:15 PM
I like lamp. I...like lamp.
Would that be a leg lamp like in that Christmas movie with Ralphie and you'll shoot your eye out?

Higby
2011-07-09, 08:40 PM
I like lamp. I...like lamp.

Sconce 4 life!!

Zulthus
2011-07-09, 09:12 PM
snip

CaptainMaverik
2011-07-09, 09:26 PM
Matt, I'm a long time lurker here aswell, i've played PS since 2003, with the odd break here and there, but what always drew me back was the thing that made it unique.
I couldnt get that same experience of vast, co-ordinated warfare anwhere else, and inspite of the minor pifalls (graphics, bugs, hackers etc) I always came back, i made some great friends whilst playing aswell, and that sense of community shouldnt be underestimated. However i'm sure im not alone in thinking that it was so sad that PS never got the full audience it deserved,
Which leads me to my point (finally ;P )
There will always be somethings someone doesnt like, you cant cater to the last individual, but from what i see, you're taking the best bits of PS, and crucially adding the neccessary elements that will bring in new blood, the kind of player that might not have thought about it before, thats what is of paramount importance, not whether x,y or z feature makes it into the game, but making sure enough people actually get hooked, because without them, we have no game.

Wakken
2011-07-10, 03:02 AM
I love your hair.

I have to agree,

btw, this is my first post after roaming these forums for a long time. I finally took time and registered :)

Grimster
2011-07-10, 03:36 AM
Maybe the next commercial face for Head & Shoulders?

"After spending a long day developing Planetside 2 I want to give my hair the best it can get. That is why I use Head & Shoulders because it keeps my hair soft and free from dandruff". :)

Would have me buying H & S in a split sec. :D

Tigersmith
2011-07-10, 11:23 AM
V-V-H Matt.

Thanks for stopping by! :) Feeling like the old days around here. All the devs stopping by yet again.

Love the Reddit btw.

DxC
2011-07-10, 11:38 AM
Hey Matt.

Nice to see yourself here hopefully most the burning questions get answered!

xcel
2011-07-10, 11:39 AM
Hi. Just wanted to say I'm putting my faith in you to retain what made planetside the game it is today! I really appreciate you making a sequel and I'm really stoked!

Hamma
2011-07-10, 09:54 PM
Late to the party but thanks Higby for taking part in the community! It's awesome to have you all visiting the site.

Jennyboo
2011-07-10, 10:01 PM
Welcome Matt very happy to have you here also very glad to have met you at the Fan Faire!!!:D

Zerikin Loukbel
2011-07-10, 11:43 PM
Great to see ya here.

Naeadil
2011-07-11, 01:53 AM
Welcome to the community! Thank you for making Planetside 2 <3

krnasaur
2011-07-11, 02:30 AM
Matt, in the QandA I think it was, you said you like to lurk the PSU forums, will you come on here every once and a while, I'm not saying all the time, maybe once every lunar cycle, give us loyal PS fans a little nugget of exclusive info? <3

Bags
2011-07-11, 02:39 AM
Matt, in the QandA I think it was, you said you like to lurk the PSU forums, will you come on here every once and a while, I'm not saying all the time, maybe once every lunar cycle, give us loyal PS fans a little nugget of exclusive info? <3

He posted in my QandA thread a few hours ago.

krnasaur
2011-07-11, 02:40 AM
He posted in my QandA thread a few hours ago.

which? there is so much stuff its hard to keep track

Evilmp
2011-07-11, 02:44 AM
Hello - I'm not sure if this has been asked.

Will trees still play an important role in anti-aircraft? This was a great feature and I'd hate to lose it!

Also, is there a hard number for the population limit in a single continent?

Thanks!

Bags
2011-07-11, 02:47 AM
which? there is so much stuff its hard to keep track

http://www.planetside-universe.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36445

One of the last pages he posted on.

Hamma
2011-07-11, 07:24 AM
Also we have this to make it easier to keep track of. :)

http://www.planetside-universe.com/forums/gviptracker.php

krnasaur
2011-07-11, 07:43 AM
Also we have this to make it easier to keep track of. :)

http://www.planetside-universe.com/forums/gviptracker.php

:love:

Hamma
2011-07-11, 08:51 AM
It can always be found at the top next to User CP as well, just above PSU headlines.

Tapman
2011-07-11, 10:20 AM
I've lurked around PSU for a while now especially since the survey email we got a while back, long time PS player though. I saw this thread and figured that if Higby was joining and posting, the recent talking points about community interaction is more than the posturing that I was expecting from SOE (No offense!) so I finally registered today. I look forward to seeing you more around here and to giving my input towards the sequel to my favorite game of all time!

Also glad to know you're NC! :cheers: I would really enjoy playing with the Dev team, would you all consider releasing a list of your character names? Alts would probably be better so that your mains don't get spammed with tells requesting beta release dates and demanding this and that but we do want to see how well you play!