PDA

View Full Version : Multi-core Utilization?

xcel
2011-07-12, 10:27 AM
Not a lot of games have implemented multi-core processing. I am wondering if Planetside 2 will utilize multiple cores. Or rather, the forge light engine.

Did anyone inquire about this in the q and a?

basti
2011-07-12, 10:31 AM
Non info there yet. But im pretty sure it will. Most people have at least 2 Cores these days, not using that to full advantage is just stupid. :)

Warruz
2011-07-12, 10:43 AM
Non info there yet. But im pretty sure it will. Most people have at least 2 Cores these days, not using that to full advantage is just stupid. :)

most games support 2 cores fine, its however when you get into 4/6/8 that it becomes underutilized.

Desoxy
2011-07-12, 10:44 AM
I once read that PhysX can make use of extra cores if you have no/a less powerful nVidia card to take care of those calculations.

Maybe it got scrapped until now though..

basti
2011-07-12, 10:47 AM
PhysX does use your CPU if your video card doesnt suppport PhysX. But i dont know if it puts stuff on the CPU if your Video card supports it, but isnt strong enough.

Warruz
2011-07-12, 10:53 AM
PhysX does use your CPU if your video card doesnt suppport PhysX. But i dont know if it puts stuff on the CPU if your Video card supports it, but isnt strong enough.

Not to mention with newer designs of processors there is a higher separation of what a CPU and GPU do well for efficiency.

Volw
2011-07-12, 11:03 AM
Not a lot of games have implemented multi-core processing. I am wondering if Planetside 2 will utilize multiple cores. Or rather, the forge light engine.

Did anyone inquire about this in the q and a?

Because a lot of games are console ports (sadly).

Pretty much all PC exclusive titles have multicore support.

Levente
2011-07-12, 01:09 PM
if forgelight supports Directx 11, then it will use all of the cores of the cpu, this is one of the advantages in dx11

Hamma
2011-07-12, 06:32 PM
We don't have a ton on the engine but I would hope it utilizes multiple cores.