PDA

View Full Version : MAX Melee

Rarntogo
2011-07-13, 10:53 AM
Ok.... Maybe this is a little over the top but why not have a MAX unit capable of melee? I mean... only having the current game to go by, I know there have been many many times I wished I could bash the head of the infantry guy running around me in circles around me shooting while I was helpless to do anything because my starfire ammo didnt do any damage. Your in a robotic suit, why shouldnt it have the ability to melee?

Thoughts?

Malorn
2011-07-13, 10:57 AM
The NC max has a crowbar like thing on it in the concept art. The VS max has a lot of insectoid spiky bits for stabbity-stab-stab, and the TR max has...well...an Iron Fist I suppose (haha). So I suppose MAX melee is a possibility. Big hukling armored exosuit...I wouldn't want to get hit by that. Makes sense to expand the options of MAX units to do more than just shoot a single gun. MAX Combat was kind of bland, would like to see that upgraded a bit. The sacrifice of MAX is the inability to use support abilities, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have multiple combat tools.

CutterJohn
2011-07-13, 10:57 AM
A big sweeping backhand would be pretty sweet. Maybe not do a lot of damage, but toss them back 10 feet and stun their vision for a bit. Also would be pretty cool if you could palm their helmet with one of those bit robotic mitts and plant their face into the ground.

razor851
2011-07-13, 11:04 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Rarntogo
2011-07-13, 11:05 AM
A big sweeping backhand would be pretty sweet. Maybe not do a lot of damage, but toss them back 10 feet and stun their vision for a bit. Also would be pretty cool if you could palm their helmet with one of those bit robotic mitts and plant their face into the ground.

The animation ideas would be endless. LOL! But probably not feasible...

Logit
2011-07-13, 11:07 AM
I think at the very least they should be able to "push" people, even if it's only a slight dmg output or no dmg output at all.

Goku
2011-07-13, 11:22 AM

Big huge thing coming at you with an arm for knock back? Reminds me of the tank from L4D. I like.

MgFalcon
2011-07-13, 11:24 AM
The VS MAX would need to be able to decapitate people in one hit

#Justsaying

morf
2011-07-13, 11:31 AM
I'd like to see the max reach out, palm someone's head, and crush it in one hand like a peach. I definitely agree, if they don't implement max melee it won't be Planetside anymore.

Volw
2011-07-13, 11:32 AM
The NC max has a crowbar like thing on it in the concept art. The VS max has a lot of insectoid spiky bits for stabbity-stab-stab, and the TR max has...well...an Iron Fist I suppose (haha). So I suppose MAX melee is a possibility. Big hukling armored exosuit...I wouldn't want to get hit by that. Makes sense to expand the options of MAX units to do more than just shoot a single gun. MAX Combat was kind of bland, would like to see that upgraded a bit. The sacrifice of MAX is the inability to use support abilities, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have multiple combat tools.

I believe it's not a weapon, it's a weapon mount.

If you look closely, there's also a vertical bar sticking out the left shoulder, and with the 'crowbar' looking thing, it forms a square. So probably where the weapon pod goes.

You can see weapon mounts on TR max hands as well.

Redshift
2011-07-13, 11:34 AM
I was helpless to do anything because my starfire ammo didnt do any damage. Your in a robotic suit, why shouldnt it have the ability to melee?

AA MAXes shouldn't do any dmg to troops let alone melee :P that's one of the reasons we had so many MAXes inside in PS1, remove the AA MAXes AI ability and we'd only have useful ones inside

Rbstr
2011-07-13, 11:41 AM
I'm OK with it having melee.

But lets get away from the idea that smacking a grunt with a metal fist is better than plastering his brains on the walls with a scattergun. You know what I mean?

Think Left4Dead where it deals a bit of damage but mostly exists to push people back.

CutterJohn
2011-07-13, 11:46 AM
remove the AA MAXes AI ability and we'd only have useful ones inside

Only if pilots can't press the eject button and instantly transform from prey into hunter. If that capability exists, they need to be able to instantly switch roles up too.

And seriously.. AA maxes, even the starfire, sucked indoors. They sucked vs infantry, and were the worst at killing other maxes. They served as bullet sponges, little more.

Malorn
2011-07-13, 11:47 AM
I believe it's not a weapon, it's a weapon mount.

If you look closely, there's also a vertical bar sticking out the left shoulder, and with the 'crowbar' looking thing, it forms a square. So probably where the weapon pod goes.

You can see weapon mounts on TR max hands as well.

OOh you're right, and the NC MAX in PS1 had the weapons on the right arm, not left.

The NC max is holding something in its left hand, could that be a BANK or a REK? Maybe MAX can do more than shoot guns in PS2...

Redshift
2011-07-13, 11:53 AM
Only if pilots can't press the eject button and instantly transform from prey into hunter. If that capability exists, they need to be able to instantly switch roles up too.

And seriously.. AA maxes, even the starfire, sucked indoors. They sucked vs infantry, and were the worst at killing other maxes. They served as bullet sponges, little more.

yes but when you carried at max 6 bullets those bullet sponges sucked....

etheral
2011-07-13, 12:00 PM
I'm OK with it having melee.

But lets get away from the idea that smacking a grunt with a metal fist is better than plastering his brains on the walls with a scattergun. You know what I mean?

Think Left4Dead where it deals a bit of damage but mostly exists to push people back.

Smacking a grunt with a metal fist? A suit of power armour (thats what a MAX is when you get right down to it) that allows you to wear about a ton of armour plate and carry a gun about the size and weight of an infantryman would be more than capable of putting a fist through a concrete wall. Just saying ;)

Rbstr
2011-07-13, 12:07 PM
You've completely failed to see the point. Smacking the guy requires far more than simply point gun and having him explode in a fine mist.

Volw
2011-07-13, 12:11 PM
OOh you're right, and the NC MAX in PS1 had the weapons on the right arm, not left.

The NC max is holding something in its left hand, could that be a BANK or a REK? Maybe MAX can do more than shoot guns in PS2...

I think left arm is the one with weapon mount.

Dreamcast
2011-07-13, 12:14 PM
Actually I think it should be the opposite......I would love if an infiltrator could get close enough to a max, and destroy him with a couple of hits with there melee.

I mean the way I see max in close quarter is big and sluggish......Meaning Infantry should have some advantage with the melee.

Sure Max can have melee but it should be slow and sluggish when used IMO.

etheral
2011-07-13, 12:15 PM
@rbstr I know that, I was just pointing out that a MAX suit having a melee attack that only does minimal damage + knockback instead of, say, putting its fist through a grunt's torso requires a little bit of willing suspension of disbelief.

I should point out that I am a lifelong 40k fanboy and therefore have something of a melee combat fetish, despite the fact that it makes no sense alot of the time :D

CutterJohn
2011-07-13, 12:24 PM
I think left arm is the one with weapon mount.

NC had there weapons on the left in PS1(and TR had both, and VS on the right, same as the new screens) so it seems likely.

Volw
2011-07-13, 12:36 PM
@rbstr I know that, I was just pointing out that a MAX suit having a melee attack that only does minimal damage + knockback instead of, say, putting its fist through a grunt's torso requires a little bit of willing suspension of disbelief.

I should point out that I am a lifelong 40k fanboy and therefore have something of a melee combat fetish, despite the fact that it makes no sense alot of the time :D

http://500motivators.com/plog-content/thumbs/motivate/me/large/474-drive-me-closer-i-want-to-hit-them-with-my-sword.jpg

etheral
2011-07-13, 12:55 PM
http://500motivators.com/plog-content/thumbs/motivate/me/large/474-drive-me-closer-i-want-to-hit-them-with-my-sword.jpg

You mean that ISNT sound tactical advice???? :D

Probably explains why I play NC :lol:

ZeroOneZero
2011-07-13, 01:00 PM
NC Maxes with crowbars hehe half-life 1 anyone? (Clang clang clang clang). Knock-back damage sounds good, push them back enough so you can fire upon them.

Reason why TR maxes don't need helmets is because they get to eat "sandvich" after every fight.;)

2coolforu
2011-07-13, 01:11 PM
I can already see the Dual Cycler now

"It costs 400,000 Auraxium to fire this weapon, for 12 seconds!"

Redshift
2011-07-13, 01:13 PM
NC Maxes with crowbars hehe half-life 1 anyone? (Clang clang clang clang). Knock-back damage sounds good, push them back enough so you can fire upon them.

Reason why TR maxes don't need helmets is because they get to eat "sandvich" after every fight.;)

If you're close enough to a splatter MAX to be meleed then i'd saty being knocked back 10 feet is probably the only chance you've got of surviving, NC MAX's pushing you out of point blank range would be a godsend :P

Rbstr
2011-07-13, 01:29 PM

I picture these as a bit more slow and hulking than some lithe anime-style mecha/exosuit (not that I don't love a Gundam or whatever). Except, perhaps, the VS suit.

You've seen your share of big construction equipment that's hydrophilic opperated I'm sure. You'd be powerless to oppose one of those hydraulic rams but, at the same time, it isn't putting a hole through you in an instant and certainly won't unless it has something to push you against.

Big heavy shit has mass, and while it may be very powerful it's also likely to be kind of slow. A billion ton punch from a MAX may only move a foot per second.
Far more readily belief-suspended than your version, tbh :p

ZeroOneZero
2011-07-13, 01:30 PM
I can already see the Dual Cycler now

"It costs 400,000 Auraxium to fire this weapon, for 12 seconds!"

Yeah hahah, Heavy and the TR maxes are a lot alike.

If you're close enough to a splatter MAX to be meleed then i'd saty being knocked back 10 feet is probably the only chance you've got of surviving, NC MAX's pushing you out of point blank range would be a godsend :P

Yeah, I just realized i made a Already strong max, even stronger. :(

I say let the talent tree decide what type of melee customization maxes are allowed to use. After all it's not just infantry, tanks like to be close and personal with maxes. Therefore i suggest most maxes get to jump higher in order to avoid being crushed.

-TR max on lock down trying to kill air, only to turn around and see a vanguard heading his general direction. TR max's face ":(" before he dies.

Volw
2011-07-13, 01:36 PM
I say equip NC max with an electromagnet in one hand and scattercannon in the other :D

Could call it 'The Blender' :D

Haro
2011-07-13, 06:54 PM

To me, the left hand looked like a weapon mount. Trigger + a hook in back for an ammo box. Gun slides into rails underneath.

As for melee max... dunno. I saw a fan-made concept art of an alien tech melee max that looked badass, with an energy sword. That would be a bit over the top.

I do like the idea of a max pimp-slap.

Forsaken One
2011-07-13, 07:02 PM
***x202a;Section 8: Prejudice - Fatalities Gameplay***x202c;‏ - YouTube

enough said? you know you want it. :lol::rofl:

MgFalcon
2011-07-13, 07:07 PM
Ohhhhh Section 8... I liked it just a little bit in beta, never really did play the game live. I actually thought it would fill the void that Planetside left in my soul. :(

#truestory

Forsaken One
2011-07-13, 07:14 PM
Ohhhhh Section 8... I liked it just a little bit in beta, never really did play the game live. I actually thought it would fill the void that Planetside left in my soul. :(

#truestory

I'm going to admit. the option to do finishing moves like that as well as cool finishing moves as infantry would be awesome to have. would add a extra layer of epicness and fun without taking away anything good about the game.

in fact teamwork finishing moves would be so badass too. lol. One guy shoving the enemies gun up his ass before the other curb stomps him. :lol::rofl::lol:

Death2All
2011-07-13, 07:18 PM
Ok.... Maybe this is a little over the top but why not have a MAX unit capable of melee? I mean... only having the current game to go by, I know there have been many many times I wished I could bash the head of the infantry guy running around me in circles around me shooting while I was helpless to do anything because my starfire ammo didnt do any damage. Your in a robotic suit, why shouldnt it have the ability to melee?

Thoughts?

And why should your AA MAX win against a softy anyways? MAXes are all about picking the right one for the right situation. You shouldn't always win.

Melee for PS in general is stupid idea. Adding that to MAXes would be extremely retarded.

MgFalcon
2011-07-13, 07:23 PM
Fuck it! Lets just give the goddamn MAX's the quick-knife as well!!

Forsaken One
2011-07-13, 07:31 PM
Fuck it! Lets just give the goddamn MAX's the quick-knife as well!!

that would be boring. have him grab a softie and rip him in half! or something like in the video I showed. :D

MgFalcon
2011-07-13, 07:33 PM
that would be boring. have him grab a softie and rip him in half! or something like in the video I showed. :D

I have always wished for a sarcasm font :cry:

Rarntogo
2011-07-13, 08:52 PM
And why should your AA MAX win against a softy anyways? MAXes are all about picking the right one for the right situation. You shouldn't always win.

Melee for PS in general is stupid idea. Adding that to MAXes would be extremely retarded.

It's not about winning all the time. As a softy in battle, should you be able to walk right up to a giant robot armored suit, get up really close and kill him with your machine gun? Yes, we all know thats exactly how to do it but I just dont think its right. That hulking robot should at the very least be able to toss that softy aside and make him think twice about getting up close and personal. A MAX should be at least somewhat dangerous no matter what ammo he has. Just one man's opinion is all. :)

Sifer2
2011-07-13, 09:35 PM
It sounds like the way PS2 is designed is to give you a lot of customization into your loadout. Such as Tanks now being able to equip an AA gun in place of an AI turret if they want.

I would imagine MAX's might get this same option. So you unlock the ability to equip your MAX with a melee weapon but might sacrifice something else for it. I think the coolest potential use for a MAX melee weapon though would be to kill other MAX's in close quarters combat. Cause the transformers movies proved people love to watch big robots beat each other up. I don't think it would be overpowered against Infantry so long as you can move faster than the MAX can.

Justaman
2011-12-25, 03:43 PM
Having a sidegrade option for an actual melee weapon on a MAX would be awesome, and I hope its a choice, but other than that, what I'm thinking is, MAX's need 2 things:

1. something to deter/deal with people from hiding between your own legs and shooting.

2. What can a max do that's out of ammo?

1. Give them a "sweep" type attack. 160 degree sweeping motion with your gun, does minimal damage, like 5 or 10, to infantry. BUT, it knocks them down, giving you a chance to dislodge them from w/e nook and cranney of your person they're hiding in.

2.(this one more than #1 by far) The option to drop my guns, allowing me to melee with bare hands. Deals damage based on type of armor. Light inf takes lots, heavy takes a fair amount, Max takes moderate, vehicles take based on being heavy armored or light vehicles.

If you get more ammo, you won't be able to shoot your guns until you either go pick them up again, or have the timer on the max suit ready so that you can get an entirely new suit again.

Senyu
2011-12-25, 03:52 PM
As long as it isn't a viable option all the time and something you use now and then, I think it's alright. Maybe a low cooldown so you can't spam it

Justaman
2011-12-25, 03:58 PM
As long as it isn't a viable option all the time and something you use now and then, I think it's alright. Maybe a low cool-down so you can't spam it

Ya, make it have a lunging animation that takes like 2 seconds to complete/recover from.

LZachariah
2011-12-25, 05:05 PM
I thought they already said that MAX's will have some kind of melee weapon?

If you think about it, it would be perfectly balanced. MAX's get 2 hands to slot any combination of weapons they want. A melee weapon could be equally effective against infantry or armor (or maybe you could make it only meant for just one of those two target-types, etc), and it would presumably be MUCH more powerful than a ranged weapon, because it has the limitation of close-combat only. So, if you want your Vanu MAX to have an Anti-Air cannon on your left arm and an energy-saber on your right, go for it!

~Zachariah

Rumblepit
2011-12-25, 05:27 PM
On September 16th the developers working on Planetside 2 held a Twitter Q&A to answer fans questions about their upcoming MMOFPS. Last night Planetside Universe was kind enough to gather all the questions and answers and posted the full transcript on their site.

The QA session was pretty long so if you don’t want to read through the whole thing, I took the privilege of listing all the details below. Even so, the list is also very long, so I bolded some of the more important answers if you’re just interested in the juiciest details.

Resources help players unlock items, addons and even accelerate cert learning.
Lots of faction specific infantry weapons and variations.
It will include a robust achievements system.
No medical terminals so far.
Bases will span multiple hexes.
No longer range artillery is planned at this time.
No stamina bar. Sprint speed depends on role/class.
Lore gets an update.
Facilities will still have a Sphere of Influence.
Upon login, players are presented with a world map showing available missions.
No Empire specific HUDs. Vehicles do have unique HUDs.
Bunny hopping will be possible, but will not give “much” of an advantage.
Armor will be customizable.
ADAD (strafe) spamming will not be possible.
No animations for entering/exiting vehicles. There will be vehicle “start up sequences”.
GUI is not currently customizable, but will be at some point.
Sun glare will not effect pilots.
There will be different voices for voice macros, some specific to a faction.
Galaxy troop deployment is being discusses, although no guarantee it will be included.
Players stats will be available on the web and via mobile apps.
No stealth vehicles currently.
More than one continent at launch.
Online training will be more than twice as fast as off-line.
Bases still have generators.
Continents will support 2000+ plus players
Squad Leaders can choose any class and receive passive perks and coordination tools.
Continents will have multiple different environments, snow, forest, glacier.
No MAC support so far.
Working hard to prevent cheating and aimbotting.
No pilot class. Any non-heavy infantry class can pilot/gun in a vehicle.
There will be Killboards.
********MAX suites will have a melee attack.************
There is built-in voice chat.
Planetside 2 runs on its own FORGELIGHT graphics engine.
There will be automated and manned defenses for all bases.
Currently no dual monitor support, but possible added in the future.
You can still kamikaze your Gal (ship) into players.
All weapons from PS1 will return in some form.
Friendly-Fire is on.
BFRs will not be returning.
Medics cannot be infiltrators
Facilities will have multiple objectives before you can take one over

there ya go.

LZachariah
2011-12-25, 07:43 PM
That's what I thought; thanks for this good post :)

~Zachariah

Traak
2011-12-25, 10:20 PM
Yes, I agree. Getting close to a MAX should yield swift death. Not a reward of you being able to rely completely on lag to prance around and jackhammer him to death.

MAX's were seriously weak in PS1 for close-quarters.

Justaman
2011-12-25, 11:01 PM
********MAX suites will have a melee attack.************

Awesome post.

Guess that giant crowbar on the NC Max isn't just for show and is going to be doing some serious nasal excavations.

Guessing TR Max just gives Ye'Old boot/fist/gun-barrel to the face.

And VS will go supersaiyan? Or will people just get their eye's poked out, if they get to close, from all the spikes in the armor?

Xyntech
2011-12-26, 03:00 AM
And VS will go supersaiyan? Or will people just get their eye's poked out, if they get to close, from all the spikes in the armor?

Lightsabers.

Traak
2011-12-26, 04:12 AM
It sounds like the way PS2 is designed is to give you a lot of customization into your loadout. Such as Tanks now being able to equip an AA gun in place of an AI turret if they want.

I would imagine MAX's might get this same option. So you unlock the ability to equip your MAX with a melee weapon but might sacrifice something else for it.I think the coolest potential use for a MAX melee weapon though would be to kill other MAX's in close quarters combat. Cause the transformers movies proved people love to watch big robots beat each other up. I don't think it would be overpowered against Infantry so long as you can move faster than the MAX can.

Someone in non-power-augmented armor should be faster? Why? Do people run faster than cars drive? Is them not having all that extra weight encumbering them make them faster than an F1 car, which is burdened by 600 or so kg of mass?

Here's how to balance it: don't get near MAX's. Done.

SgtMAD
2011-12-26, 09:43 AM
Yes, I agree. Getting close to a MAX should yield swift death. Not a reward of you being able to rely completely on lag to prance around and jackhammer him to death.

MAX's were seriously weak in PS1 for close-quarters.

LOl, yea,sure they were

Rumblepit
2011-12-26, 10:57 AM
i heard rumors, cant confirm or deny any of it. but i was told they will be able to carry more then one weapon. this means they mite have the same movement as a normal player. being able to pull out a AA gun outside then switching to a massive hammer when in cqc.

Xyntech
2011-12-26, 01:40 PM
i heard rumors, cant confirm or deny any of it. but i was told they will be able to carry more then one weapon. this means they mite have the same movement as a normal player. being able to pull out a AA gun outside then switching to a massive hammer when in cqc.

I believe that has been confirmed. One weapon per arm, like the old TR MAXes, only for every empire and the weapons can be two of the same thing, or two different weapons.

Traak
2011-12-26, 08:15 PM
I remember being in a full-health pounder, being attacked by an NC in Rexo, who just got right up to my crotch, and was jackhammering me. I was hitting him with pounder rounds, which were exploding and damaging ME.

He didn't seem to experience much harm, if any, from them, but I was killed.

As I said, MAX's were seriously lame in CQB. When the defense against a soldier is to ram your face in his crotch and stick a jackhammer up his butt, then that soldier needs two things:
A) You to cease being gay, and
B) Melee combat capability.

Kouza
2011-12-27, 08:35 PM
I vote we downplay melee and make it almost useless like in PS1... lol