PDA

View Full Version : "Skill Based Flying"

MrVicchio
2011-07-13, 04:38 PM
I'm sold. Period.

BF2, I ROCKED it in AA and AG combat. Period. If they have a two seater with a WSO to fire weapons, you want to be my WSO. Cause when it comes to Air craft, you just can't touch this.

I love going against silly fools that try to get into circle fights with me. Wanna fly in circles? I can do this. It's called a Yo-Yo and you're dead. Try back and forth flying? Scissors. I'll take you out.

Man, I am really excited now. Must go read more, post less spam.

Logit
2011-07-13, 04:39 PM
I'm sold. Period.

BF2, I ROCKED it in AA and AG combat. Period. If they have a two seater with a WSO to fire weapons, you want to be my WSO. Cause when it comes to Air craft, you just can't touch this.

I love going against silly fools that try to get into circle fights with me. Wanna fly in circles? I can do this. It's called a Yo-Yo and you're dead. Try back and forth flying? Scissors. I'll take you out.

Do you drink a lot of coffee?

basti
2011-07-13, 04:43 PM
I cant wait to try flying a mossy and a gal with my Saitek x52 Pro. If it is good, im sold. This way i wont have to deal with headshots at all. :D

MrVicchio
2011-07-13, 04:48 PM
Do you drink a lot of coffee?

What... yes, what's that got to do with anything?

;)

Zulthus
2011-07-13, 04:49 PM
:rolleyes:

morf
2011-07-13, 04:50 PM
I cant wait to try flying a mossy and a gal with my Saitek x52 Pro. If it is good, im sold. This way i wont have to deal with headshots at all. :D

That is until I headshot you through the window of your gal.

Wakken
2011-07-13, 04:52 PM

Indeed :p

I wonder how much skill it takes to drive the AMS's...

Find some place for you to spawn I will!

Zulthus
2011-07-13, 04:53 PM
I'm pretty sure glass won't be penetrable. It'd lead to quite a few balance issues. ;)

Volw
2011-07-13, 04:54 PM
It was hard to not rock in BF2 planes with no reliable AA to shoot them down :p

MrVicchio
2011-07-13, 04:55 PM
Hey I can slog in the mud with the best of ya, but why hoof it when you can streak across the sky raining death on the enemy? It's much more civilized really.

CrystalViolet
2011-07-13, 04:56 PM

I have the same stick. Going to be interesting deciding how to program out all the features in the game.

I really hope they maintain a VTOL /hover component to the planes. Something like how the F35s work in the battlefield games. Would make formation flying a whole lot easier.

Zulthus
2011-07-13, 04:56 PM
I'm an avid pilot in BF2 myself. I still "pwn noobs" on Wake Island to this day.

MrVicchio
2011-07-13, 04:59 PM
Sure any fool could fly around, but lining up on ground targets and hitting them... taking out other A/C without getting blotted out of the sky... flying through the damn upside down while in a dog fight causing the other guy to crash... that's not flying, it's art.

Zulthus
2011-07-13, 05:01 PM
Sure any fool could fly around, but lining up on ground targets and hitting them... taking out other A/C without getting blotted out of the sky... flying through the damn upside down while in a dog fight causing the other guy to crash... that's not flying, it's art.

2coolforu
2011-07-13, 05:04 PM
One aspect we don't want from BF2 is how much jets dominated the game, if your team's pilots were worse than the others then you were in for a world of dive bombing and base-rape.

MrVicchio
2011-07-13, 05:05 PM

You're a cute one, roll eyes and everything!

MrVicchio
2011-07-13, 05:06 PM
One aspect we don't want from BF2 is how much jets dominated the game, if your team's pilots were worse than the others then you were in for a world of dive bombing and base-rape.

That's kinda the point behind air power. It dominates. Control the skies, control the war.

Zulthus
2011-07-13, 05:06 PM
You're a cute one, roll eyes and everything!

:rofl:

It was ridiculous in BF2, though. There was no way to get your planes off the ground to counter theirs once they had air superiority. AA didn't help, either. The missiles tracking was shit.

Redshift
2011-07-13, 05:08 PM
That's kinda the point behind air power. It dominates. Control the skies, control the war.

Hacks the CC? :P

2coolforu
2011-07-13, 05:08 PM
Yeah but Planetside is all about combined-ops, with aircraft it has no disadvantage in Planetside because the cost isn't there, if the shiny B-2 Spirit goes up in flames because some chip overheats it's $1 Billion down the drain, if a Galaxy crashes into a cliff because the pilot is fapping then its 'Oh well spawn 'nother'. The disadvantages of aircraft don't carry over into Planetside so the balancing factor needs to be there to prevent dominance.

basti
2011-07-13, 05:09 PM

Ohh yes it is. And it will be a pleasure seeing all those wanabes crashing into canyons while the few of us, the real kings of the sky, will fly happily until the world ends.

Zulthus
2011-07-13, 05:12 PM
Ohh yes it is. And it will be a pleasure seeing all those wanabes crashing into canyons while the few of us, the real kings of the sky, will fly happily until the world ends.

http://files.sharenator.com/lol_face_RE_Mass_Effect_3-s274x280-128653-580.jpg

I agree

MrVicchio
2011-07-13, 05:18 PM
Was that really needed Zulthus? I mean... really.

Zulthus
2011-07-13, 05:19 PM
Yes.

MrVicchio
2011-07-13, 05:20 PM
Yeah but Planetside is all about combined-ops, with aircraft it has no disadvantage in Planetside because the cost isn't there, if the shiny B-2 Spirit goes up in flames because some chip overheats it's $1 Billion down the drain, if a Galaxy crashes into a cliff because the pilot is fapping then its 'Oh well spawn 'nother'. The disadvantages of aircraft don't carry over into Planetside so the balancing factor needs to be there to prevent dominance.

Oh I agree, there is a huge difference between "Real World" and a game. Games must have balance. But it has to be skill based balanced. I loved BF2 pre-AC nerf patch, yes it was over powered but it was for me, a ton of fun, but what made me quit was getting shot down by a guy with a pistol.

:/

That being said, if they are going give flying more... umph in PS2, that means there will be counters. I look forward to it with great anticipation.

Zulthus
2011-07-13, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure how well PS2 would work with BF2 flight mechanics, but it'd be a neat idea to try out. I really didn't like the PS1 VTOL-style flying. It felt pretty boring, tbh.

morf
2011-07-13, 05:53 PM
I'm pretty sure glass won't be penetrable. It'd lead to quite a few balance issues. ;)

If they don't let you shoot through the glass it won't be Planetside 2 anymore :(

basti
2011-07-13, 05:59 PM
If they don't let you shoot through the glass it won't be Planetside 2 anymore :(

FFS MORF! I had to check if you were the guy who opened that the "BUT IT WOULDNT BE PLANETSIDE!" thread. Goddamn, fool! :D

Haro
2011-07-13, 06:02 PM
I wonder how PS2 is going to work out the realistic flight physics with sci-fi vehicle types. I think we all can agree that PS1 flight mechanics were pretty lame, but I would still like to see VTOL quite a bit.

And hopefully they upgrade the AA as well. I'd like to see a really sick skyguard-type with missile pods.

Tool
yes it was over powered but it was for me, a ton of fun

And was it fun for those who weren't flying? Ah I suppose they didn't matter, fodder they are.

Zulthus

Sorry :(

Aractain
2011-07-13, 06:07 PM
Lets hope the AA needs skill to.

Bags
2011-07-13, 06:09 PM
Burster took skill if the pilot had half a brain in their head.

Forsaken One
2011-07-13, 06:28 PM
I'm sold. Period.

BF2, I ROCKED it in AA and AG combat.

BF2. where if you learned to get off the ground you got a free 5+ kill.. or if you got a tank.. or apc.. well. basically you got in any vehicle and chances are you got 5+ free kills even if you were mentally challenged.

I think flying should be like BF2142 before the noob patch that raised the flight ceiling.

Ah the days of flying under bridges, through trees, and stuff as well as under radar to break a lock on.

now its just fly straight up like a tard and loop spaming, sigh.

I seriously hope if they take vehicle balance and skill from any BF its BF2142. only BF game where you can't press the magic button to port into a vehicle and get auto kill sprees without watching your back, useing skill at driving, etc.

Zulthus
2011-07-13, 06:30 PM
BF2. where if you learned to get off the ground you got a free 5+ kill.. or if you got a tank.. or apc.. well. basically you got in any vehicle and chances are you got 5+ free kills even if you were mentally challenged.

I think flying should be like BF2142 before the noob patch that raised the flight ceiling.

Ah the days of flying under bridges, through trees, and stuff as well as under radar to break a lock on.

now its just fly straight up like a tard and loop spam, sigh.

I seriously hope if they take vehicle balance and skill from any BF its BF2142. only BF game where you can't press the magic button to port into a vehicle and get auto kill sprees without watching your back, useing skill at driving, etc.

Honestly, 2142 is the same as BF2. Except the aircraft are more noob-friendly. I really hate the hover tanks though.

Sirisian
2011-07-13, 06:39 PM
I think when they said skill based they meant you're good if you invest your "skill" points into flying. :lol:

I can't wait to invest points into my liberator maneuverability and everything so I can bomb anything without getting touched. :)

Lets hope the AA needs skill to.
Invest in faster lock-on and such. Sounds simple enough.

Forsaken One
2011-07-13, 06:40 PM
Honestly, 2142 is the same as BF2. Except the aircraft are more noob-friendly. I really hate the hover tanks though.

no, its not x3. it takes more skilled people to kill people do to not having the "mega bomb of auto rape", not having noob shit like flairs. (the shield can't be spammed like flairs and lasts much shorter.), and before the whole looping and flying straight up noob patch it took great skill flying under bridges, weaving through a base at full speed, etc. also AA mattered a lot and was very good at taking down shit pilots. while pilots like me it would be more an annoyance.

all vehicles took more skill in BF2142. want to drive a tank and auto win useing it but your super bad like in BF2? not going to happen. cause you'll get one shotted by AV in the back or something else if you're stupid.

Zulthus
2011-07-13, 06:48 PM
I swear, flying under bridges and through bases at full speed was easy stuff. 2142 was all I played back in 06 until I found PlanetSide. I sucked major ass at dogfighting in that game though. The mix between a helicopter/jet was confusing for A2A combat for me.

Aractain
2011-07-13, 06:50 PM
I think when they said skill based they meant you're good if you invest your "skill" points into flying. :lol:

I can't wait to invest points into my liberator maneuverability and everything so I can bomb anything without getting touched. :)

Invest in faster lock-on and such. Sounds simple enough.

More like this (for AA):
They meant player skill for flying.

***x202a;battleground europe AA movie***x202c;‏ - YouTube

SavageB
2011-07-13, 06:52 PM
I'm sold. Period.

Time to break out the Ol microsoft sidewinder.

SKYeXile
2011-07-13, 07:00 PM

you buy one for JGE too?....

LostSoul
2011-07-13, 07:12 PM

Heh, and you think you are going to be one of them? Lol, silly German ;) I'll show you how to fly a camera!

basti
2011-07-14, 04:06 AM
Bah, tarts, both of you! :D

FastAndFree
2011-07-14, 04:31 AM
This is how you keep the wannabees out of the sky :rolleyes:

If this was the QUICK startup...
No, I couldn't do that myself
And don't forget to readjust your spin diffusors after every warp or you will overload the quantum harmonizers!

Jokes aside, I can't wait to crash my Reaver! Or Mosquito. Or whatever as long as it has wings and can crash
I wonder how the Flight Ceiling will work this time, has anyone heard anything about that?

MrVicchio
2011-07-14, 04:40 AM
Time to break out the Ol microsoft sidewinder.

I might spring for one of them fancy ones with the all the bells and whistles ;)

hippieschuh
2011-07-14, 06:56 AM
What do you play with? Mouse, Gamepad or Joystick?

while I love flying in PS1 I totally suck at BF2, I dont know it just doesnt feel right, the control is way to complicated using mouse.

I like simple controls

Raelity
2011-07-14, 07:10 AM
I always use WASD and the arrow keys when flying in BF2, instead of the mouse. In PS2 I'm going to find a TR Reaver outfit and rain death from the sky, can't wait to make some vanguards turn and run.