PDA

View Full Version : Will there be an app for PS2?

MrVicchio
2011-07-14, 03:43 AM
Seriously. With all this talk of real time, off game info... how long till there is a PlanetSide 2 app?

Would you use one if it were available?

Grimster
2011-07-14, 04:15 AM
Yeah sure I would. If there is a proper API that app developers can utilize I am certain that there will be a PS2 app of some sort at least one providing stats info.

What would be cool is if they take it one step further and enable you to have a app where you can update yourself on the progress of your empire and maybe even check the continents and how territories are divided. Maybe have it so you have to login and also be able to check the current missions issues by empire/squad/outfit?

Gandhi
2011-07-14, 04:24 AM
What would be cool is if they take it one step further and enable you to have a app where you can update yourself on the progress of your empire and maybe even check the continents and how territories are divided. Maybe have it so you have to login and also be able to check the current missions issues by empire/squad/outfit?
I've been thinking about making something like this with WebGL, but I'll have to wait and see what kind of data is available and more importantly if we're allowed to use art assets like the continent map in our tools.

MrVicchio
2011-07-14, 04:38 AM
Heck there's an app for everything, and when I'm at work I cannot really do a lot of web surfing.. but an app with a quick update on what's going on...

That appeals to me.

basti
2011-07-14, 05:23 AM
Im buying an iphone if there is an app that lets me issue missions and commands.
Imagine, your at the mall, looking at the phone, see the map, put the phone to your ear, and just start: retreat from sector 5, take a platoon of tanks with air support to defend sector the base, and get the infantary to attack the enemy at sector 7!
:D

Kran De Loy
2011-07-14, 05:35 AM
I can just see it now. At the jewelry store with your GF as she shops with you credit card in hand. You're standing off to the side mumbling into your bluetooth fiddling away on your little apple products when BAM! SWAT tackles you from behind cause you were freaking out the employees talking about assaulting the building from the flank with grenades.

razor851
2011-07-14, 08:09 AM
:ugh:

Tigersmith
2011-07-14, 08:31 AM
I'm 100% sure they will have apps with this game. They talked about a huge API with the game.

Only other game that does this well is Eve online.

Desoxy
2011-07-14, 08:50 AM
I also thought of mobile apps when they said they had "other plans".

Would be much more excited for that then the PS3 interconnectivity the press immediately jumped on..

I am sure that if their API is as good as they want it to be the community will come up with a "progess tracking utility" eventually - does EVE have stuff like that?

BlazingSun
2011-07-14, 08:55 AM
I'm currently thinking about how many jobs would be lost, if people had no interest in useless things like that, as I do.

Tigersmith
2011-07-14, 09:02 AM
I also thought of mobile apps when they said they had "other plans".

Would be much more excited for that then the PS3 interconnectivity the press immediately jumped on..

I am sure that if their API is as good as they want it to be the community will come up with a "progess tracking utility" eventually - does EVE have stuff like that?

Yes they do have apps that track progress works amazing :)

Tigersmith
2011-07-14, 09:07 AM
I'm currently thinking about how many jobs would be lost, if people had no interest in useless things like that, as I do.

exactly same as me. can't wait to waste time on these apps when they come out. I may actually have to sign up for a apple dev account and make my own.

Warruz
2011-07-14, 09:47 AM
i would like one that you can chat with your outfit and have a update on who owns what in the world.

Also....im a android user, so whoever decides to make this app better make it multi platform

Gandhi
2011-07-14, 09:58 AM
So... will PSU have a place for apps when the time comes?

Hamma
2011-07-14, 10:35 AM
That would be pretty cool, but we don't really have any developers into that stuff. :(

Kurtz
2011-07-14, 11:03 AM
I plan on making an app for Android at the very least for my outfit. I'm sure there are plenty of developers out there that also plan on making apps.

I hope that all the server requests from all these apps don't actually slow the server down. There were many stat sites in the PS1 days, many of them failed to update. Lets not forget that the stats were broken in PS1 for over a year, for whatever reason.

Facebook can handle thousands of app requests and I recently read a stat that Facebook apps request billions of requests per day or week or something. Facebook also has a very robust API.

At the very least I hope that SoE plans on showing an updated territory map like Battlegrounds:Europe (ww2online) on the front page of their website (for each server).