PDA

View Full Version : Do you have DX11?

Sirisian
2011-07-14, 02:25 PM
Okay I'm curious because of the other thread so I'll make this thread. Do you currently have a DX11 computer or will you have a DX11 computer in 2012? I'm just curious how many Planetside fans are going to take advantage of the option to continue to use their XP based machines. (I could rely on the steam survey, but this is mostly just FPS players so I want a concrete result of specifically Planetside players planning to play Planetside 2).

// Edit I made it public I think so we can see if anyone is really staying with XP and DirectX 9 so we can question their decision. Not sure if public polls even work on this forum system.

Raymac
2011-07-14, 02:32 PM
We'll have to keep in mind that this poll isn't scientific, but I think it's a good idea to do anyways. I don't have a card with Directx11, yet, but if I do upgrade my computer, it will be for a new GPU.

Tigersmith
2011-07-14, 02:37 PM
Yess I do. But I doubt planetside 2 will have it.

Bags
2011-07-14, 03:03 PM
Windows 7 with a GTX 460 here.

SavageB
2011-07-14, 03:07 PM
Windows 7 64 bit pro with Asus Radeon 5850.

Desoxy
2011-07-14, 03:15 PM
Also Win 7 64bit with 1090T/Radeon 5850 here *crossing fingers for multicore optimization :p*

Warruz
2011-07-14, 04:01 PM
this question is worded odly, i have DX10 as of now however i plan on upgrading but i dont know when il upgrade the video card as i like to wait for the last moment on the video card to get better deals.

But im going to say DX10 since its what i have now and i prob wont get a new vid card till november.

Also why is XP DX10/11 even on there. XP doesnt support either of them and even if your card does its a mute point.

Alduron
2011-07-14, 04:04 PM
Windows 7 64, GTX570, i5 2500k (@4.6Ghz currently), 8GB RAM, SSD....Hopefully that will at least pass minimum requirements...

Sirisian
2011-07-14, 04:11 PM
Also why is XP DX10/11 even on there. XP doesnt support either of them and even if your card does its a mute point.
lol, people are crazy. I had a friend that was using Windows 2000 because he thought XP and Windows 7 sucked. His computer was fast. He just now (like 2 years ago) switched to Windows 7 because some random game he wanted to play didn't work on it.

// edit... wait so there are 2 people that said they're going to use XP and a DX9 card. Can those people explain why? I'm genuinely curious. I tried to make the poll public so no one could just lie.

Desoxy
2011-07-14, 04:11 PM
this question is worded odly, i have DX10 as of now however i plan on upgrading but i dont know when il upgrade the video card as i like to wait for the last moment on the video card to get better deals.

I do not think there are any cards left that you would upgrade to without DirectX 11 capabilities.. or are there?

Warruz
2011-07-14, 04:16 PM
I do not think there are any cards left that you would upgrade to without DirectX 11 capabilities.. or are there?
there isnt nor was i trying to say they where.

My point was my current card is DX10 and i dont know when il be upgrading so im voting DX10 for now, however i was saying its worded odly to take into effect the future when god knows if youl upgrade or not. Better to just vote on what you currently have.

basti
2011-07-14, 04:19 PM
Q9550, GTX280, Win 7. I do save to upgrade in case i cant run PS2 at full details with that card, but that will be decided during beta. :)

Sirisian
2011-07-14, 04:20 PM
My point was my current card is DX10 and i dont know when il be upgrading so im voting DX10 for now, however i was saying its worded odly to take into effect the future when god knows if youl upgrade or not. Better to just vote on what you currently have.
Well there are people that said they're upgrading their computers in the future so I wanted to take that into account. This is more of a "hey SOE look we all have DX10/11". I was hoping to see everyone using DX11 only by now, but I guess it's still too early to expect that.

basti
2011-07-14, 04:28 PM
Well there are people that said they're upgrading their computers in the future so I wanted to take that into account. This is more of a "hey SOE look we all have DX10/11". I was hoping to see everyone using DX11 only by now, but I guess it's still too early to expect that.

Chances are those two that have yet selected win xp and DX9 cant play anyway.

Sirisian
2011-07-14, 04:46 PM
Chances are those two that have yet selected win xp and DX9 cant play anyway.
I found one of them. It's a person on IRC from Hungary. :lol: The other guy I don't know about though.

// edit oh lol you click on the number to see the names.

Alduron
2011-07-14, 04:52 PM

I'd say a large number people wont be on DX11 for a while. As far as computer upgrades go DX11 is a pretty recent development (considering people upgrade every few years).

I'm expecting more people to say that they're running DX9, tbh.

CutterJohn
2011-07-14, 06:38 PM
This poll has a very strong selection bias. People populating this forum, a forum for a game not due out for many months, are passionate gaming nerds. The average person playing planetside will have a much worse spec than the average here.

Sirisian
2011-07-14, 07:03 PM
This poll has a very strong selection bias. People populating this forum, a forum for a game not due out for many months, are passionate gaming nerds. The average person playing planetside will have a much worse spec than the average here.
Yeah it would seem that we have a lot of people with decent hardware on this forum. My two friends in real life that played Planetside regularly have a DX10 and DX11 system. (Though the one with a DX10 computer is upgrading soon for BF3). Though I don't know many people running old computers. The outfit I was in on emerald back in the day had a lot of FPS gamers in it that had decent computers for that time.

I have a feeling the BF3 DX10/11 only will force many PC players that have held back to upgrade. Seems like SOE is trying to target those kinds of gamers with PS2.

nathanebht
2011-07-14, 07:06 PM
Much more useful to look at the Steam Survey results. 5.6 % surveyed have Win7/Vista and a DX11 card.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey)

SKYeXile
2011-07-14, 07:28 PM
Much more useful to look at the Steam Survey results. 5.6 % surveyed have Win7/Vista and a DX11 card.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey)

why do people have a DX10/11 GPU and windows XP? o.O

Bags
2011-07-14, 07:29 PM
why do people have a DX10/11 GPU and windows XP? o.O

They're too cheap to buy Win7 for $30.

Goku
2011-07-14, 08:31 PM
Nice poll! :D

Sifer2
2011-07-14, 08:53 PM
If they use DX11 I hope its mainly for performance boosts. Like using the multithreaded rendering that BF3 is going to have. I think the game looks decent enough as it is from the trailer an would rather have extra performance so I can handle the big fights smoothly.

I think a lot of people will upgrade for PS2 though. I remember the first one was one of the few games that made me upgrade just to play it back in the day. I upgraded my RAM to a whopping 512 MB so I could play it!

Bags
2011-07-14, 08:55 PM
If they use DX11 I hope its mainly for performance boosts. Like using the multithreaded rendering that BF3 is going to have. I think the game looks decent enough as it is from the trailer an would rather have extra performance so I can handle the big fights smoothly.

They said at this point in development performance > visual improvement. Hope they hold true to their word.

BorisBlade
2011-07-14, 09:36 PM
Windows 7 64, GTX570, i5 2500k (@4.6Ghz currently), 8GB RAM, SSD....Hopefully that will at least pass minimum requirements...

Considering you are in the top 2% prob of the avg pc out there, yeah you'll be fine. You have to remember that the avg pc is realllllllllly crappy, you'd be surprised man. And yeah i know you were bein sarcastic. :P

Bags
2011-07-14, 09:37 PM
Considering you are in the top 2-3% prob of the avg pc out there, yeah you'll be fine. You have to remember that the avg pc is realllllllllly crappy, you'd be surprised man. And yeah i know you were bein sarcastic. :P

Hah yeah, he better have been sarcastic.

Tlacatecatl
2011-07-15, 07:03 AM
As one of the people that selected Win XP/Dx9, I have been a little bit fast with my clicking. Right now I use Win XP with Dx9, but I don’t know what I will be using next year. Maybe I will update for BF3, but quite frankly it’s the first game I am interested in that I can’t play with my current PC. So I never felt the need to upgrade up until now. ^^

FreedomShot
2011-07-15, 09:17 AM
Most people have DX11 now and Windows 7.

kaffis
2011-07-15, 10:05 AM
Not to be nitpicky, but 2 of those options are entirely impossible (DX10/11 cannot run on XP, no matter what kind of video card you have), and one is partially mislabelled (likewise, DX11 is not available on Vista).

In any event, my current computer, which is getting an upgrade over the next month, is a GeForce 8800GTX that still has Vista as I haven't been arsed to load 7. By the time Deus Ex comes out, I should be all set for DX11, though.

Sirisian
2011-07-15, 11:44 AM
Not to be nitpicky, but 2 of those options are entirely impossible (DX10/11 cannot run on XP, no matter what kind of video card you have), and one is partially mislabelled (likewise, DX11 is not available on Vista).

I included those not because it doesn't work, but because there are people in the world that are running XP with a DirectX10/11 card. Those people don't tend to be very computer savvy. :lol:

Also I explained before why I didn't just quote the steam hardware survey. That doesn't exclude the people that wouldn't play an MMOFPS. The people that would play an MMOFPS are in the same group as FPS players who usually upgrade more often to play their favorite FPS at a high frames per second.

kaffis
2011-07-15, 02:58 PM
I included those not because it doesn't work, but because there are people in the world that are running XP with a DirectX10/11 card. Those people don't tend to be very computer savvy. :lol:

Also I explained before why I didn't just quote the steam hardware survey. That doesn't exclude the people that wouldn't play an MMOFPS. The people that would play an MMOFPS are in the same group as FPS players who usually upgrade more often to play their favorite FPS at a high frames per second.
Ah. Yeah, I re-read the question twice in case it said "what OS/graphics card will you be running" instead, which would have explained the XP/10/11 options. ;)

And I agree that the Steam hardware survey, while an informative starting point, isn't the whole story when you're looking at particular market segments.

nathanebht
2011-07-15, 08:11 PM

Actually DX11 is available on Vista. Windows 7 and Vista are almost the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX