PDA

View Full Version : Resupplies

krnasaur
2011-07-17, 02:52 PM
With looting gone and no changing class when you spawn, what happens when one runs out of ammo?

ShowNoMercy
2011-07-17, 02:55 PM
Thats a great question, maybe some deal like in CoD where when you kill someone they drop a pack that gives you ammo, or only gives you ammo if they had the same bullets as you. There could also be ammo exchange between players like in PS1, which would be good since it added a more tactical feature to defensive situations.

Bags
2011-07-17, 03:01 PM
Link to your source where they stated that looting is gone, please. I'd love to read some new information.

Kietharr
2011-07-17, 03:33 PM
Link to your source where they stated that looting is gone, please. I'd love to read some new information.

They said that looting of enemy faction weapons/hacking enemy faction vehicles was out and that grid inventories like the first game's are out. Doesn't spell out a pretty picture for looting but I guess you could have a 'search for ammo' use option on enemy corpses and any ammo they had of a correct type for one of your weapons would be added to your inventory.

Or just have them drop the bullets as pickups though I don't really like that option as much. I feel that taking enemy from a dead ammo should probably take a bit of time, it's not as if when you shoot someone he has the common courtesy to throw all of his ammo on the ground first.

Bags
2011-07-17, 03:37 PM
They said that looting of enemy faction weapons/hacking enemy faction vehicles was out and that grid inventories like the first game's are out. Doesn't spell out a pretty picture for looting but I guess you could have a 'search for ammo' use option on enemy corpses and any ammo they had of a correct type for one of your weapons would be added to your inventory.

No they didn't.

-Couple reasons, the one you mention is one, another is because we really want to push the empires to be very different in PS2, and getting ahold of enemy weapons and vehicles makes it a lot more of a balance nightmare.

They heavily implied you will not be able to loot enemy weapons due to the "balance nightmare" it apparently causes and lack of "empire differences" but he didn't actually say looting was out.

ShowNoMercy
2011-07-17, 05:24 PM
seems likely they will not allow enemy weapon looting from what you quoted bags.

Bags
2011-07-17, 05:44 PM
It seems. He didn't confirm it. A lot of things in Planetside 1 are "balancing nightmare" yet they made it into the game.

Headrattle
2011-07-17, 05:54 PM
Well, originally Planetside was supposed to have an economy, where you bought your weapons and ammo. Which is why inventory and looting made it into the game. They dropped it because it didn't work.

CutterJohn
2011-07-17, 06:17 PM
no changing class when you spawn, what happens when one runs out of ammo?

Who said this?

But even if true, its silly to think that they wouldn't have reloading capabilities sprinkled around.

dsi
2011-07-17, 06:25 PM
No more grid inventory? But that was fun :(

Tigersmith
2011-07-17, 06:54 PM
No more grid inventory? But that was fun :(

Yes the Grid Inventory is out. I also loved working out loadouts. But apparently it was too hard for people. LOL

Now we get premade classes and perks/addons like all other games.

sigh.. not happy

Bags
2011-07-17, 06:57 PM
Yes the Grid Inventory is out. I also loved working out loadouts. But apparently it was too hard for people. LOL

sigh.. not happy

Where did they say it was too confusing for players? Higby never gave a reason for why they are removing them.

Tool
2011-07-17, 08:47 PM
I liked the grid inventory as well, see how the new system is handled before I pass judgment.

Resupplies? Aside from old PS1 ways to rearm, there might be a cert tree allowing infantry resupply in the field by some means. Ammo drop, some battlefield like ammo box, etc.

SavageB
2011-07-17, 08:55 PM
I think re supplying will be done through the interfaces which we are accustomed to in PS1 and through an engineer skill cert for on the fly resupply or switchover.

Hamma
2011-07-17, 10:42 PM
Quite a few people are concerned about Inventories being removed. Perhaps they are reading all of that ;)

Aractain
2011-07-18, 01:11 AM
I don't really mind about removing inventory, even looting. The inventory wasn't really that fun. As long as there is something with a visual repesentation of what Im carrying Im fine.

Anyway ammo/resupplys should be done by team members with some thingymajig. Maybe the medic can do it or maybe there is a supprsive fire machicegun style class? He can carry the extra bullets.

Will there be medpacks? (Im guessing not)

Bags
2011-07-18, 01:12 AM
Replacing inventories and looting "FOR TEH TEAMWORKZ" leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Aractain
2011-07-18, 01:14 AM
Will we even use the same ammunition anymore?

Bags
2011-07-18, 01:16 AM
I'd be sad to see Zee Gold Bulleets go away. :(

Tool
2011-07-18, 01:34 AM
I'd be sad to see Zee Gold Bulleets go away. :(

The only times I used gold ammo was on new characters with HA but not enough certs for AV. Hard to imagine gold ammo was used much beyond that scenario by players. Or new players who didn't know the difference.

Not saying it shouldn't be in PS2, especially if only certain classes can use AV weapons. It would give other classes an option. So maybe it should be in PS2. I would like to see more differences in functionality of ammo but that's a different topic.

Bruttal
2011-07-18, 04:53 AM
Am happy and sad that the inventory is gone, am happy because setting up yet another load out for the 1billionth time is annoying as hell. am sad because now i cant carry extra ammo or extra health depending on what i wanna do.

IMO what they should have done was have a box where you can drop every item you want to put in your inventory then couple suggestions windows (with the items you have selected) and if you had to many items the small items are the first to be left out if over 2 of that type. for example am in a rexo i droped in 4medic 4 repair ammo's a medic, repair stick,Lasher 4 boxes of ammo 4 health kits and a CUD, and thumper.

Out of all that. it says okay well you dont have room for all that so lets take out 2medic 2 repair. as one suggestion box. second suggestion box would be to leave two medic kits out.

I think you can see where am going with this.

Desoxy
2011-07-18, 05:36 AM
I found the grid inventory tedious as well. Maybe they could do it weight or slot based.. that way you could still trade off ammo for medkits etc

Headrattle
2011-07-18, 09:18 AM
Slot based wouldn't be so bad. Main gun, backup gun, other crap to adjust as you will. A nice compromise between inventory and other stuff. As long as there are a decent amount of slots. Not just Rifle, Pistol, grenade, healthpack.

The Inventory system was actually pretty well built when you think of it. They could have done a lot more, but they chose not to, so... ok.

Lartnev
2011-07-18, 03:45 PM
Surely AMSs and structures would have reload/inventory points. :shrug:

Maybe there'll be a command cert for air drops... maybe galaxies have special ammo drop ability. Just because you can't loot players doesn't mean you'll routinely run out of ammo (it also solves the frustration of trying to loot a backpack only for it to disappear when you get in range ;))

Death2All
2011-07-18, 05:31 PM
Am happy and sad that the inventory is gone, am happy because setting up yet another load out for the 1billionth time is annoying as hell. am sad because now i cant carry extra ammo or extra health depending on what i wanna do.

IMO what they should have done was have a box where you can drop every item you want to put in your inventory then couple suggestions windows (with the items you have selected) and if you had to many items the small items are the first to be left out if over 2 of that type. for example am in a rexo i droped in 4medic 4 repair ammo's a medic, repair stick,Lasher 4 boxes of ammo 4 health kits and a CUD, and thumper.

Out of all that. it says okay well you dont have room for all that so lets take out 2medic 2 repair. as one suggestion box. second suggestion box would be to leave two medic kits out.

I think you can see where am going with this.

Or you could just learn how to make a loadout yourself? Just because there are a few special, incompetent idiots within the community doesn't mean you need to scrap an entire concept. A game shouldn't cater to idiots anyhow, it should reward those who come up with intelligent loadouts. It's not like you couldn't loot their backpack and see how it looked and then make yours look similar, so don't feed me that.

Grid inventories were so simple, yet they had a lot of depth to them. Any moron could make a loadout, it may not be as effective as another but you could still do it. Your punishment was that A) You didn't have the most effective loadout, maybe not as much ammo, medpacks or grenades that you needed. B) Everyone laughed at you when they looted your backpack.

The only solid reason I think they have for not having a grid inventory system is that this game is supposedly being hinted at being a port to the Playstation 3 in the future. Why a PC based game has to scrap an entire mechanic to cater to the console crowd is beyond me.

Too many games cater to idiots, they need to start rewarding intelligent players for a change.

ShowNoMercy
2011-07-18, 05:43 PM
They did just say the grid style inventory was out right? does that mean there is a possibility that volume and/or weight based inventory could make it into PS2? I would be down with that, it would be better than grid style anyways.

Bags
2011-07-18, 05:45 PM
I think, if they want to remove inventories to remove confusion they should make it optional.

Like, have a predefined inventory for every class, and let people change it if they want. So, if I pick heavy assault as my weapon of choice for this life, then maybe my default inventory contains a chaingun, 3 medkits, 200 extra ammo, and a 2 decis. But then I could have the option of changing it. So maybe I want a chaingun, 6 medkits, 0 extra ammo, and 3 decis.

Something like that pleases vets, and keeps inventory system from confusing noobs.

Bing
2011-07-18, 11:04 PM

sigh.. not happy

I 100% agree. I always loved tweaking my inventory, and it did a lot to make Planetside feel different from the other FPSs I could have been playing, but wasn't. With all my options premade, no amount of weapon addons and armor customization is going to feel like my play style is my own.

I like to be able to take exactly what I want with me into the field, not have to work around a premade loadout containing items I'll never use.

Traak
2011-07-18, 11:51 PM
No! Grid inventory is one of the many things that made PS rock! Even a cloaker could carry a glue gun to drop for a friendly!!!

Let's not dumb the game down ta heck!

Logit
2011-07-19, 09:53 AM
Quite a few people are concerned about Inventories being removed. Perhaps they are reading all of that ;)

I hope so, especially in the case of a MAX unit being able to carry extra (insert item a softie would use) in there "trunk."

Kurtz
2011-07-19, 10:59 AM
I'm fairly certain they mentioned equipment terminals still in the game since looting and inventory grids will not. You can switch classes at an equipment terminal.