PDA

View Full Version : Social Media Networks in Planetside 2

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 11:41 AM
Since it seems like every game now a day you can link your facebook/twitter to your game account. Do you think planetside 2 should have this feature?

Rift did a amazing job with it i might say. Twitter in game is fantastic and the ability to upload youtube videos straight from in game is great!

But question is would you like to see it in this game.

Firefly
2011-07-20, 11:42 AM
Not really. Because I delete friends who spam my news feed with bullshit.

Chaff
2011-07-20, 11:47 AM
If I ever "tweet" while gunning in a Prowler - I should be FOREVER banned from PS - or any online TEAM-oriented game.

PS I HATE social media.

I'm far too bored with my own life to take time away from it to be BORED with someone elses shopping isle dilema - or trivial babblings.....

Bags
2011-07-20, 11:47 AM
I've never found a reason to make use of social media built into games, like Starcraft. Yes Blizzard, if my friends play Starcraft chances are they are already on my friendlist.

p0intman
2011-07-20, 11:49 AM
i dont want to see any goddamn social media in PS. fuck that shit.

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 11:51 AM
It may come down to not what you like. If its easy for them to implement I don't blame them for putting it in. Free Advertising on twitter ftw

Bags
2011-07-20, 11:52 AM
No other game that I know of has built in Twitter, and what's the point? You can Tweet out of game.

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 11:57 AM
No other game that I know of has built in Twitter, and what's the point? You can Tweet out of game.

Rift does. It takes a screenshot and tweets every time you get a achievement.

Bags
2011-07-20, 12:09 PM
Oh boy, just what I need. Bandwidth wasted on the two worst ideas in gaming history.

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 12:09 PM
Oh boy, just what I need. Bandwidth wasted on the two worst ideas in gaming history.

lol...:D

basti
2011-07-20, 12:24 PM
"You just OSed a enemy AMS, do you want to share this on Facebook?"

Errm, no.

Bags
2011-07-20, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I told all my friends already who would be at all interested in PS2.

Chaff
2011-07-20, 01:01 PM
ZERO bandwith should be allocated to this drivel.

SOE can offload player tweets from the game - and twit them from their own game-whoring non-PS2 server. I get the free adverstising angle. SOE can create a way to eliminate or curtail in-game twitters. No bandwidth loss & NO DISTRACTED DRIVERS.

....I don't want to be headed for a GAL-Drop riding behind a pilot TWITing pictures of clouds and enemy Mossy's while in flight.

Chaff
2011-07-20, 01:05 PM
I hear the DEV's appreciate the comments from the veteran players - based on the different threads and the layers of feedback and concerns - they should be wary of the PS1 vets. I am in awe of how much intense passion people here have for this game.

Chaff
2011-07-20, 01:09 PM
I hope PS2 still feels like PlanetSide - yet attracts and maintains a bigger group of long-time players.....while adding new & better content that draws heavily from the original.

Improve it. Don't ruin it.

Hamma
2011-07-20, 01:42 PM
:huh:

Quite a little rant there with 3 posts :lol:

I really dislike this stuff also but I wouldn't be surprised if it made it in. It is indeed free advertising.

Chaff
2011-07-20, 01:46 PM
:huh:

Quite a little rant there with 3 posts :lol:

I really dislike this stuff also but I wouldn't be surprised if it made it in. It is indeed free advertising.

Can you tell I'm not a Social Media fan ? :mad:

yeah
guilty
I am a salty old fart

Instead of shopping for a new manpon - I'll just hunt down a hay bale with a rope.

Bags
2011-07-20, 01:53 PM

Why would your friends not already know about it? Sony is doing something wrong if the only way they can get the message out there is by abusing our social media devices.

Chaff
2011-07-20, 01:55 PM
btw

I hope you keep on the DEV team to help with PC specs. I'm saving up. My old gaming rigs MB fried last year. This is the only game I'm worried about missing.

I know the AMD vs NVIDIA debate could get touchy. Do what you can to keep us in the loop.
plz
I'm saving my $$$$$$.....and waiting for any information on how my next gaming PC can best be optimized for PS2.

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 01:55 PM
I really dont care if its in the game. But I know I really enjoy twitter. And would be happy to see it added.

Logit
2011-07-20, 01:56 PM
Why would your friends not already know about it? Sony is doing something wrong if the only way they can get the message out there is by abusing our social media devices.

I'm not sure it's his friends he's worried about.

Who doesn't have Facebook these days? If you can provide worldwide advertising for free, why shouldn't you?

We might not be a fan of it, but it's not surprising at all if it happens.

Infektion
2011-07-20, 02:18 PM
Not really. Because I delete friends who spam my news feed with bullshit.

LOL! I wish I had you as a friend on FB :)

Chaff
2011-07-20, 02:18 PM
Once you become a salty old fart - you lose all interest or drive to keep up with new technology.

I wonder how many new accounts they'll get in PS2 due to twitter, Facebook, or the next hot-button Social Media platform.

Logit
2011-07-20, 02:25 PM
Once you become a salty old fart - you lose all interest or drive to keep up with new technology.

I wonder how many new accounts they'll get in PS2 due to twitter, Facebook, or the next hot-button Social Media platform.

I wouldn't necessarily label Facebook as "new."

Impossible to know, but the potential for it to attract tons of subscribers is there. If it makes the game larger, and therefore more awesome & epic. I say, why the hell not?

Firefly
2011-07-20, 02:25 PM
LOL! I wish I had you as a friend on FB :)
I don't see why, and I'm sure I posted a link to my Facebook somewhere on the forums so what the hell is stopping you? I don't make a big fuss about it - I just click the little unfriend link and problem-solved. If it's something I feel requires a memo, such as those fucking idiots still posting that goddamned "ZOMG THE DARKHORSE BATTALION LOST NINE MARINES IN THREE DAYS!" horse shit from almost a fucking year ago, I'll casually drop a "Welcome to October 2010, where was your support then?" and be done with it.

Yeah... right. Which explains what you're doing on an internet forum talking about an MMO-FPS.:doh:

Chaff
2011-07-20, 02:34 PM
oh snap

I see consistency within my TWACKED appearance of being an inconsistent hypocrit.

L4G
2011-07-20, 02:41 PM
Add me to the list of people who would hate to see this included in the game!!

Most importantly i don't want my colleagues to know that I have been awarded Hacking Support Silver when I should be working :)

But I also don't want to be reminded how long ive actually been online for when PS2 does get released .. xFire was bad enough when it told me I had spent 18 Hours ingame during a day and im sure thats not the worst length of time by a while :doh:

Chaff
2011-07-20, 02:45 PM
If it resulted in candy pooping out of my flash drive - I'd agree to any add-on.

Bags
2011-07-20, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure it's his friends he's worried about.

Who doesn't have Facebook these days? If you can provide worldwide advertising for free, why shouldn't you?

We might not be a fan of it, but it's not surprising at all if it happens.

Okay, the day the game was announced I informed all of my friends who would have any interest in it.

So my point is again, how would social media help them at all at this point?

Firefly
2011-07-20, 02:57 PM
Because you might make new friends or discover some long-lost acquaintance or classmate or coworker or some chick you wanted to bang but couldn't seal the deal.

Because internet-people in today's day and age are sheep and need to be told what their likes and dislikes are - an example is this phenomenon of "OMG, So-and-so likes this and he's really cool guy doesn't afraid of anything so that means it must be okay! [clicks "Like"].

Because some people might miss your oh-so-super-important status update that says "I just jizzed in my pants, Planetside 2?!?!?" because they were too busy doing something like, I dunno, having a real fucking life, and then by the time they get around to logging into Facebook their feed is trashed from all you cocksuckers playing Farmville and Mafia Wars and Cafe City so they missed your status. But they didn't miss the steady stream of spam saying "Bags just got stabbed in the dick by Firefly!" and "Bags just bailed out of his Mossie and hacked into Rehua!" and "Bags just killed Tigersmith with his Jackhammer" and "Bags just warped onto Hossin!"

And finally, some people can be told to their face in person "Yeah man I'm not coming over because I've got to play Planetside with my outfit tonight" and they blink at you, then subconsciously think you're a dick for ditching bro-mance date night, and then they see it pop up in your feed and all of a sudden they're like "OH SHIT! WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT AWESOME SHIT?!?!?!"

That's the power of social media. In addition to being a hugely fucking annoyign time-sink, it has its hypnotic benefits.

Bags
2011-07-20, 02:58 PM
I'll just not be hooking up my facebook then.

Firefly
2011-07-20, 03:00 PM
Me either. Mainly because I don't want my family being bombarded with Planetside 2 spam.

Bags
2011-07-20, 03:05 PM
But they need to know.

Logit
2011-07-20, 03:05 PM
I'll just not be hooking up my facebook then.

I was going to respond. But I updated my Facebook status instead.

Chaff
2011-07-20, 03:12 PM
Both my friends are unable to use social media
....it's hard to tweet with hoofs.

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 03:18 PM
Please keep thread on topic. Thanks.

Hamma
2011-07-20, 04:24 PM

You know Bags people often answer your questions 300 times and you keep asking it. :lol:

Because if someone is tweeting about PlanetSide 2 it's creating free advertising on Twitter where millions of people are reading various trends that are going on. "Social Media" is not just your friends on your Facebook page it's a global phenomenon that allows you to reach out to millions of people you could never reach before.

In fact, Social media has created new ways to get the news out about PlanetSide for just PSU alone. We have seen a crazy influx of traffic from those sources that we never would have had before to promote the game.

Open up your mind a bit and you might learn something. ;)

Bags
2011-07-20, 04:28 PM
You know Bags people often answer your questions 300 times and you keep asking it. :lol:

Because if someone is tweeting about PlanetSide 2 it's creating free advertising on Twitter where millions of people are reading various trends that are going on. "Social Media" is not just your friends on your Facebook page it's a global phenomenon that allows you to reach out to millions of people you could never reach before.

In fact, Social media has created new ways to get the news out about PlanetSide for just PSU alone. We have seen a crazy influx of traffic from those sources that we never would have had before to promote the game.

Open up your mind a bit and you might learn something. ;)

Don't you have to be following someone to get their tweets? There's a difference between not understanding how this stuff works and "not opening my mind". From my understanding only your friends see your useless drivel.

Not much point to having a lot of bodies to shoot if it wastes what precious little bandwidth I have sending screenshots to twitter! But they said performance comes first so I'm not too worried.

But if you support performance being hindered so more people will play (what the OP is talking about and what I am against) then more power to you, I guess.

Dreamcast
2011-07-20, 04:31 PM
It will be cool if you could sync planetside to ur wall.

For example you got post of how the battles were going, or got post of plans ur outfit wants to do.

Im not sure about the spamming of accomplishments or whatever.

Bags
2011-07-20, 04:34 PM
Optional, please. I don't want my ping to spike to a couple hundred every time I do something "automatic screenshot to Twitter" worthy.

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 04:35 PM
Optional, please. I don't want my ping to spike to a couple hundred every time I do something "automatic screenshot to Twitter" worthy.

Its not even that bad. Your ping is not gonna spike what are you running on 56k? god :huh:

Hamma
2011-07-20, 04:36 PM
Don't you have to be following someone to get their tweets? There's a difference between not understanding how this stuff works and "not opening my mind". From my understanding only your friends see your useless drivel..

You don't need to follow someone on Twitter to read their Tweets, you can read search trends and view Tweets without ever following someone.

Now if you connected to Facebook you are right only your friends will see it.

If you don't understand that's cool, hopefully I helped you. ;)

And I'm not saying I support it, I'm saying I wouldn't blame them if I did and I doubt it would take away from performance.

EDIT: I could never imagine it being automatic though.

Bags
2011-07-20, 04:37 PM
You don't need to follow someone on Twitter to read their Tweets, you can read search trends and view Tweets without ever following someone.

Now if you connected to Facebook you are right only your friends will see it.

If you don't understand that's cool, hopefully I helped you. ;)

And I'm not saying I support it, I'm saying I wouldn't blame them if I did and I doubt it would take away from performance.

EDIT: I could never imagine it being automatic though.

Yeah, the OP talked about automatic screenshots. I upload at 40 kb/s and my ping will spike to about 300 for the duration, so that would be unplayable.

Its not even that bad. Your ping is not gonna spike what are you running on 56k? god :huh:

I didn't know you lived in my house and had the same Time Warner package I do! :p

Logit
2011-07-20, 04:38 PM
And if it was automatic, I can't imagine they wouldn't let you toggle it.

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 04:39 PM
And if it was automatic, I can't imagine they wouldn't let you toggle it.

yea like they would say you need Twitter to play and if you dont. then bye lol.

Dont worry guys. if its put in the game im sure they will have a toggle. :D

Bags
2011-07-20, 04:41 PM
Okay, as long as it's optional and doesn't waste an unnecessary amount of dev time then have at it.

Logit
2011-07-20, 04:44 PM
In fact I'm not so sure, even if I had twitter, I'd want all of my followers knowing how much of a nerd I am.

Constant PS2 Tweets = Less sex

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 04:46 PM
In fact I'm not so sure, even if I had twitter, I'd want all of my followers knowing how much of a nerd I am.

Constant PS2 Tweets = Less sex

Not always true :D

Rbstr
2011-07-20, 05:30 PM
I like keeping internet separate from real life to a fairly large extent. It's not that I wouldn't want people to know I play PS2 or whatever...I just don't care to broadcast more crap that no one cares about.

waldizzo
2011-07-20, 05:36 PM
having some kind of integration with youtube could be spiffy. myspace, friendster, etc.... not so much

knaggsy
2011-07-20, 05:36 PM
How to loose friends reading your feeds:

"Knaggsy captured Ixtab Tower NW. Why not join him on Planetside 2?"
"Knaggsy hacked Ixtab base. Why not join him on Planetside 2?"
"Knaggsy took Ixtab base. Why not join him on Planetside 2?"

Oh dear that would get out of control....

The only thing which would be nice is to be able to use OPENID or facebook connect to login to the forums.

On another note, an in-game battle recorder would be nice which records actions when your logged in and you can have a place like in black ops you can showcase your best moments to your friends without having to always be running fraps just in case you have the comedy lols moment. This is all dependent it can be implemented without causing lag or fps drops...

Bruttal
2011-07-20, 05:59 PM
Speaking of witch, does anyone wanna create a cool PS-U ps2 Logo link we could post on our twiter/facebook/myspace and other media sorces?

Hamma
2011-07-20, 06:44 PM
What sort of logo? size/specs etc?

Traak
2011-07-20, 08:42 PM
A .gif of a warpgate would be cool.

MgFalcon
2011-07-20, 09:23 PM
I'm gonna be txting (tweeting) and driving (flying my Gal)... BEST PILOT EVERRRRR!!!

Hezzy
2011-07-20, 10:46 PM
I'd be up for this as long as I could control what is posted and when it is posted. Like people have said, I don't want my newsfeed to be loads of crap.

Alox
2011-07-21, 03:19 AM
Social media integration is on the bottom of my wish list for planetside.

In fact, if they ever do stuff like that I hope I can turn it off and hide so I don't have to look at it when I play.

Also, I will be pissed if we miss out on features in game, because they had to reallocate resources to social media integration! :)

Bruttal
2011-07-21, 04:39 AM
What sort of logo? size/specs etc?

Something the size of a forums sig i guess maybe a lil longer. could do 3 vearsions VS TR NC from the renders we have. and Planetside2 next too it and under it planetside-universe "for the latest news" IDK someone can think of something better am sure

Hamma
2011-07-21, 08:53 AM
You mean like these (http://www.planetside-universe.com/ps/psuserbars.php)?

Bruttal
2011-07-21, 08:55 AM
You mean like these (http://www.planetside-universe.com/ps/psuserbars.php)?

these?. as in the bottom of your post?. yeah kinda but bit longer maybe not so tall whatever works really. do some image mapping or something. i dont have any software on my pc for image editing at ALL or id done something by now lol

edit:I dont have anything except microsoft paint that is HAHA.

Edit2:couldn't even tell that "these" was a link till i saw it in my quote sry. and no those are to small ;)

Edit3:Besides those links don't show up on facebook status well.

Hamma
2011-07-21, 09:13 AM
ah :(

Well if you have some examples we can look at them. :D

Bruttal
2011-07-21, 09:24 AM
http://www.lissaexplains.com/fun6.shtml
something like thats done there. added with basti sig size well lil longer shorter of the PS2 Renders of the soliders. and if am Completely throwing you off now ignore me i go away after awhile lol.

Dreamcast
2012-04-03, 07:42 PM
This is a pretty sweet idea IMO.

Imagine being able to link Facebook group to outfit.....It will be pretty cool.

Zulthus
2012-04-03, 07:48 PM
NO. Fuck social media in games. You can participate in that bullshit when you aren't playing. Don't waste any resources even trying to put this waste of space in. PLEASE.

*cough*

Red Beard
2012-04-03, 08:02 PM
Didn't Higby indicate during one of the community nights that Twitter would be used in some fashion to address the "too many useless CR5's" problem encountered in PS1?

If they are in fact planing that, I'm sure there will be at least some minor soul-selling going on...:bang: