PDA

View Full Version : Suicidal pilots; should they be in Planetside 2?

Whoknowswhat1
2011-07-20, 02:27 PM
No one has posted this yet, so i guess i will...

In recent weeks (and really forever) players have been using vehicles from the air support certification (galaxy, loadstar, liberator, and even a GGS or two) to suicide into a group of people in order to kill them. this can be both very effective and annoying when trying to assault a base. With the announcement of the Gal a few months back, i began to wonder wether or not they would add this tactic in PS2... it does seem fitting that a ship/ vehicles the size of the gal make a huge explosion, but i would like the opinion of the community. Should this be in Planetside 2? :borg:

Bags
2011-07-20, 02:40 PM
I don't see why not.

Whoknowswhat1
2011-07-20, 02:41 PM
I don't see why not.

me either but some people get very annoyed while attacking, expecially on capitals when cr4's and 5's cant OS

DashRev
2011-07-20, 02:42 PM
I don't see why not.

This.

If someone finds crashing a lodestar into a base fun and/or rewarding, then let them.

Raymac
2011-07-20, 02:45 PM
Ahhh, remember the days of the Ant Bombs? Good times.

I figure if someone wants to kamikaze, then they should be allowed to. One of my beefs is that the aircraft timers are too short, and I spend most of my game time in a Reaver. (But thats another conversation I guess) Being able to spam 1 kamikaze attack after another is not something I think anyone wants.

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 02:52 PM
I sure love them and they should be in the game. Recently i had a 13 kill Gal Bomb. The feeling I got was sure enjoyment. Alot of people gave me tells after that and stated it was a broken mechanic and I am abusing it.

I recorded this one awhile ago lol
***x202a;LoadStar Suicide!! 6 Kills!***x202c;‏ - YouTube

Bags
2011-07-20, 02:54 PM
I would never get the kills for those things... always said they team killed each other.

Firefly
2011-07-20, 02:59 PM
You know what's even better? Logging into my VS or NC alt and volunteering my services as a Galaxy pilot and then crashing the whole fucking thing in the ocean. And before I splashdown, saying "I'm actually a Terran terrorist."

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 03:00 PM
You know what's even better? Logging into my VS or NC alt and volunteering my services as a Galaxy pilot and then crashing the whole fucking thing in the ocean. And before I splashdown, saying "I'm actually a Terran terrorist."

You cant unless you have 2 accounts in planetside 2. 1 Empire per server :D

That would be soo funny tho i admit. Even if i was in the gal i would be laughin

Firefly
2011-07-20, 03:01 PM
I've done the double account thing for Planetside.

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 03:02 PM

Yes :) We all have lol

Your a mean person

Whoknowswhat1
2011-07-20, 03:02 PM

ahh أرضي الجمهورية i see :D

Whoknowswhat1
2011-07-20, 03:03 PM

i have like 5

WarChimp130
2011-07-20, 03:04 PM
Don't even crash it, just fly over the ocean and kick everyone out. Let em' drown, lol.

As far as suiciding goes, I'm okay with it but their should be a penalty of some sort also to prevent people from just doing it nonstop. Back in the old days I wouldn't just suicide into it, I'd fly towards it, bail then bust out the MCG and start mowing whoever the crash didn't get.

Whoknowswhat1
2011-07-20, 03:06 PM
As far as suiciding goes, I'm okay with it but their should be a penalty of some sort also to prevent people from just doing it nonstop. Back in the old days I wouldn't just suicide into it, I'd fly towards it, bail then bust out the MCG and start mowing whoever the crash didn't get.

That could be considered just bailing out and it "accidentally" killing people, then killing more

Ranik Ortega
2011-07-20, 03:08 PM

Fucking hell Firefly, I knew there was a reason I rolled with BWC back in the day. :D

Firefly
2011-07-20, 03:11 PM
Your a mean person
You're* and that's legit!

I mean, we all have to contribute to the war effort somehow, amirite? Some people pull out their MCG and do the ADADADDADADDAADAD Dance of Death. Some people fly recon and report back to higher. Some people fly the Galaxy. Some people climb into a perfectly-good Mossie and then bail out over a base. Me, I like to be the guy that they never see coming. So every time they load up and see a random guy in Sanctuary, they wonder... "Is that Ackbar the Terran Terrorist?":scared:

Whoknowswhat1
2011-07-20, 03:13 PM
Me, I like to be the guy that they never see coming. So every time they load up and see a random guy in Sanctuary, they wonder... "Is that Ackbar the Terran Terrorist?":scared:

so why not cert cloaker

Firefly
2011-07-20, 03:18 PM
Because that's just a random enemy saboteur. When I'm the same colour as they are, I blend in and I walk amongst them. They don't know who I am or where I am or what I'm doing until it's way too late.

Raymac
2011-07-20, 03:45 PM
So every time they load up and see a random guy in Sanctuary, they wonder... "Is that Ackbar the Terran Terrorist?":scared:

IT'S A TRAP!!

Bruttal
2011-07-20, 03:47 PM
Honestly from the discripton of how things are gonna be earned I think we will see alot less of that and more Skilled pilots.

Bing
2011-07-20, 03:55 PM
I never liked the suicide attacks because it always seemed such a waste of a perfectly good vehicle, but now that everything is going to cost *something*
I think that a suicide attack, bailing mossie transport, or any other 'wasteful' actions would be perfectly acceptable.

When the player engaging in such activity has to sacrifice something to do it (other than a short timer) then that's their prerogative and I'm all for it. It was just seemed unfair that ditching a new vehicle was never detrimental to the player.

MgFalcon
2011-07-20, 04:12 PM
If they didn't allow for suicide availability... well that would just be stupid. I loved flying my Gal right into CY's after having dropped an entire load out on top.

The trick is to jump out and not get killed in the process!

Dreamcast
2011-07-20, 04:18 PM
How I remember this game........

I use to do that while people were waiting next to the vechile pad, it was so fun.

I also took people on my galaxy and dropped them in the middle of the ocean

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 04:27 PM
How I remember this game........

I use to do that while people were waiting next to the vechile pad, it was so fun.

ahaha good times.

Hamma
2011-07-20, 06:31 PM
I find it annoying when people do it, but more than effective and a valid way to roll if you want to do that.

Firefly
2011-07-20, 06:48 PM
I find it annoying when people do it, but more than effective and a valid way to roll if you want to do that.
Next time you're in a blistering firefight and you think to yourself, "Why are there only three squads here instead of four?", just remember... somewhere in their Sanctuary is a dude in broadcast going "Gal pilot for hire" whilst plotting a personal waypoint over a body of water.

Hamma
2011-07-20, 06:55 PM
:lol:

Kietharr
2011-07-20, 07:38 PM
Yes. If it becomes a major problem up the timers on them. Or make them valuable by making them take resources to make.

Traak
2011-07-20, 07:51 PM

Is there anything more fun than gaining people's trust then stabbing them in the back? I mean, for you and Dreamcast?

When it thrills you to betray people, even in a game, it just seems pathological. I guess your answer would be "It's only a game." Well, so are outlawed Japanese stalk-and-rape games. Do you own a bunch of those, since they are "only a game."?

If you betray your empire, then you should be rewarded with all your characters being brought back to BR0 CR0. It's the Sony equivalent of a death sentence, you know, what spies and traitors enjoy. But, remember, it's only a game.

Dreamcast
2011-07-20, 07:58 PM
Is there anything more fun than gaining people's trust then stabbing them in the back? I mean, for you and Dreamcast?

When it thrills you to betray people, even in a game, it just seems pathological. I guess your answer would be "It's only a game." Well, so are outlawed Japanese stalk-and-rape games. Do you own a bunch of those, since they are "only a game."?

I loved Team Killing.......but then you get lots of grief so you have to come up with new ways of screwing people over.

Dropping them in the Ocean was one of those ways...destroying terminals,mines,etc.

It was pretty fun, then getting there weapons and smuggling them to my TR empire.

lol

Traak
2011-07-20, 08:03 PM
Well, now I understand. Yuck.

LOL, however, it's all the different people that thrill or annoy us that keep us coming back.

Death2All
2011-07-20, 08:36 PM
I really don't understand how you couldn't die from someone crashing an aircraft into you much less prevent that in the game.

Bags
2011-07-20, 08:39 PM
I really don't understand how you couldn't die from someone crashing an aircraft into you much less prevent that in the game.

It's science, I ain't gotta 'splain shiet.

Infektion
2011-07-20, 09:36 PM

I was known for that during beta... Friendly ocean gal drops. Oh how I miss the angry private msgs.

kaffis
2011-07-20, 11:05 PM
I'm hoping that the resource system will disincentivize suicide vehicles of any type in favor of trying to fall back and repair.

Hopefully, the resources hit of ineffective vehicular use will hit home on an individual level, as well as the empire one. The problem with NTUs in PS1 was that terrible players didn't care they were bleeding the base dry with their terrible, resource-intensive play.

SKYeXile
2011-07-20, 11:26 PM
People kill themselves in PS1 so other people dont get kill credit...i think theres a simple solution...GIVE SOMEBODY KILL CREDIT FOR A SUICIDE.

obviously they would have had to of hit them within a certain amount fo time for xx damage, same goes with teamkilling, and killstealing give credit to the people who did the highest percentage of damage out of the last 100% HP damage taken.

Traak
2011-07-20, 11:32 PM
I agree. Like hockey, where the last player from the scoring team gets credit for the goal, even if someone from the scored-on team literally slapped it in the net himself.

That way, forcing some guy to suicide is exactly and just as productive as blowing him to hell. Thus these kill-depriving guys will quit being so gay and just fight to the finish instead of leaping to their doom.

MgFalcon
2011-07-20, 11:33 PM
People kill themselves in PS1 so other people dont get kill credit...

I did it to bring fourth the "Divine Wind" all Japanese-style! :D

Bags
2011-07-20, 11:37 PM
Higby confirmed assist / damage based XP.

Firefly
2011-07-21, 12:18 AM

If you betray your empire, then you should be rewarded with all your characters being brought back to BR0 CR0. It's the Sony equivalent of a death sentence, you know, what spies and traitors enjoy. But, remember, it's only a game.
Fuck it. I'll take a ban for this.

Oh shut the fuck up, you ball-jawing twat. I may be severely drunk right now but I'm tired of your cunty holier-than-thou posts. You're like that goddamned mosquito that keeps buzzing around my ear in a dark tent as I'm trying to stick my dick in your sister's ass. It's a goddamned video game, chill the fuck out and go let your sister swallow your cum so you can finally release some stress. Jesus fucking Christ on wheat toast.

Captain1nsaneo
2011-07-21, 01:02 AM
That's not going to get you any big fish. Now CRUSHING, that will get you some big fish. I've killed several BFRs in a match between my Gal, their face, and a Tree. The tree won but I got the kill credit and could still fly away.
As for killing people in Sanc, how are you supposed to kill the ones inside the HART building? Those people who think being AFK makes them safe? I'll tell you how: Mods. I've murdered people in Sanc using the explosion of a mod when it's timer runs out and someone's holding it. NOTHING IS SAFE.

Seriousness aside, there's a good reason to kill death explosions in the game. I'll pull up an example I saw about 4 days ago. NC GG is close to death, VS FV is tracking it but has a lot of fire on him. He's not going to be able to kill it with his dual starfires. So he cuddles up to the thing and when he dies the GG goes with him and nets him a kill from the pilot who bailed.
I also tend to use this as a final 'screw you' sort of thing where I try to take one or two with me when I know I'm not getting out alive. Has turned several losses into ties during dog fights. Definitely would miss it if it wasn't in PS2.

Beagle
2011-07-21, 01:07 AM
Fuck it. I'll take a ban for this.

Oh shut the fuck up, you ball-jawing twat. I may be severely drunk right now but I'm tired of your cunty holier-than-thou posts. You're like that goddamned mosquito that keeps buzzing around my ear in a dark tent as I'm trying to stick my dick in your sister's ass. It's a goddamned video game, chill the fuck out and go let your sister swallow your cum so you can finally release some stress. Jesus fucking Christ on wheat toast.

Well, just because it's a game doesn't mean you're not getting your kicks from screwing over everyone else's fun.

I mean, a little griefing every now and then doesn't make you the devil, but bragging about your skill at abusing faction swapping to screw up something fun like Gal rides makes you sound like a dick. So if you're going to do that, you probably don't need to fly off the handle when someone calls you on it.

On topic, I'm with the crowd that hopes the new resource system will make this kind of thing more costly for the player and their side.

Ranik Ortega
2011-07-21, 01:14 AM
Jesus i'm guessing a lot of you wouldn't survive in EVE or Darkfall.

Griefing? :cry:

Being a traitor is being a traitor. Not having good character bleeds over and from other areas of your life.

That is honestly the most pathetic argument I have ever heard. :rofl:

Traak
2011-07-21, 01:32 AM
Jesus i'm guessing a lot of you wouldn't survive in EVE or Darkfall.

So, I'm guessing that you think that you are some worldly-wise member of the kewlzzz OMGzz kidzzz club because you think we "wouldn't survive in EVE or Darkfall."?

Ranik Ortega
2011-07-21, 01:41 AM
So, I'm guessing that you think that you are some worldly-wise member of the kewlzzz OMGzz kidzzz club because you think we "wouldn't survive in EVE or Darkfall."?

Oh yes I belong to an elite grief club. I've seen and done it all. I AM THE CYBER BULLY! But seriously I laugh because like Firefly said, you take yourself way too seriously.

Traak
2011-07-21, 01:45 AM
You don't even know me. People who cackle with glee about betraying others and wasting their time are just screwed up. But, hey, even Jeffrey Dalmer has fanboys.

Curious how you guys can boast about screwing other people over, but then launch into some tirade about anal sex when someone points out that that is a character flaw.

Ranik Ortega
2011-07-21, 01:47 AM
You don't even know me. People who cackle with glee about betraying others and wasting their time are just screwed up. But, hey, even Jeffrey Dalmer has fanboys.

Curious how you guys can boast about screwing other people over, but then launch into some tirade about anal sex when someone points out that that is a character flaw.

:doh: :huh: :rofl:

SKYeXile
2011-07-21, 03:46 AM

playing a European developed game makes you hardcore, you missed the memo.

MetalCage
2011-07-21, 07:24 AM
You cant unless you have 2 accounts in planetside 2. 1 Empire per server :D

That would be soo funny tho i admit. Even if i was in the gal i would be laughin

I know I have NC and TR alts on my 1 account on the same server.

Sentrosi
2011-07-21, 07:50 AM
It's a valid tactic, but one that should cause a significant drain on resources. You don't see American Soldiers going into a fight with a C-130 and fly it into a hillside in Afghanistan to take out a bunker of snipers.

Whoknowswhat1
2011-07-21, 10:32 AM
It's a valid tactic, but one that should cause a significant drain on resources.
(this isnt really directed towards you Sentrosi, but towards every1 with the same view of "the huge ships should cost major resources")

another side of that would be if you and your outfit are doing gal drops and they only have the resources for 2-3. do you stop doing ops cause you are running low on resources, effectively slowing down the gameplay and in a game where you can do "anything" you want, to be forced to do something else?

Death2All
2011-07-21, 10:37 AM
griefing is bad nd if u greif then ur bad

Sentrosi
2011-07-21, 10:38 AM
We all do things throughout the day we don't want to do, but have to in order to live comfortably. Let me ask you this question;

Do you want to work 8 extra hours this weekend because some middle management screw off can't change his tee time to next week? Note I didn't say overtime because you are salaried.

The same goes for this. If my empire can't generate the resources needed for operations that night, then we (meaning outfit) needs to be fluid enough to recognize this and then adjust accordingly. One of the great things about being a Dragonwolf is that there are no egos to bruise. Many times we go in with a plan to do one thing, but end up doing something else because the battle dictated it.

This makes vehicles no longer treated as throw-away methods of transport. It makes me really want to take care of my Galaxy. It's going to piss me off that I have to land and repair my Galaxy because the forward intel didn't say anything about the drop zone being hot.

Firefly
2011-07-21, 10:59 AM
It's a valid tactic, but one that should cause a significant drain on resources. You don't see American Soldiers going into a fight with a C-130 and fly it into a hillside in Afghanistan to take out a bunker of snipers.
This is a science-fiction video game. More importantly it's a video game. You don't see Air Force pilots bailing out of their F16 to drop into a Taliban stronghold. Or a guy wearing heavy Ranger body armour and sixty pounds of battle kit running and dolphin-diving. You don't see infinite lives on the battlefield, either.

Whoknowswhat1
2011-07-21, 11:01 AM
I personally do not have a problem with changing vehicles, but to someone who has devoted every second of the skill tree to flying a gal or support vehicle they may be unable to face the fact being "i spent 2 months training this since the game started... now what do i do?"

Or the lesser-skilled outfits that have found that the best or only way for them to do outfit ops, is if someone pulls a gal.

I understand the analogy "life isnt fair, so bend the fuck over." but just like any job, if you do something you dont want to do alot of times, you end up hating and resenting that job, so you quit and find another job. (mayb not in this economy, but back when it was more stable you would) People would/will not pay a sum of money every month to do something they dont want to do, or what is not fun for them.

I hope that made some sense... i havent had my morning coffee

Bags
2011-07-21, 12:10 PM
This is a science-fiction video game. More importantly it's a video game. You don't see Air Force pilots bailing out of their F16 to drop into a Taliban stronghold. Or a guy wearing heavy Ranger body armour and sixty pounds of battle kit running and dolphin-diving. You don't see infinite lives on the battlefield, either.

That's only because they're all wearing cloaker suits.

morf
2011-07-21, 12:36 PM
Ok look I'm saying it:

If you can't kamikaze ppl, it won't be planetside anymore. End of argument.

The second I get into beta I'm going to crash an upside-down Galaxy into the first purple helmet I see.

Goku
2011-07-21, 12:39 PM
I sure love them and they should be in the game. Recently i had a 13 kill Gal Bomb. The feeling I got was sure enjoyment. Alot of people gave me tells after that and stated it was a broken mechanic and I am abusing it.

I recorded this one awhile ago lol
***x202a;LoadStar Suicide!! 6 Kills!***x202c;‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8EXqc7Gso8)

I think my 8 kill one with a mosquito at an AMS beats all those considering the explosion radius is smaller ;).

Raymac
2011-07-21, 12:52 PM

Using that example, thats EXACTLY what the Taliban do though. They'll pile some explosives into a car, drive it up to a check point, and boom. It is a drain on the Taliban's resources, but only a small drain because there seems to be no shortage of people who want to blow themselves up. (just carrying on the example, not looking for a political debate)

So, I do agree with you in that I think it should be limited enough to where you can't just spam Galaxy and Galaxy and just durka durka jihad all day long, but it shouldn't be taken out of the game. Suicide missions could be fun, and I don't want to start trying to figure out where to draw the line between assaulting something deep behind enemy lines with no chance of surviving very long, and flying a Gal into a single sniper.

morf
2011-07-21, 01:29 PM
You got a problem with durka durka jihad?