PDA

View Full Version : Any news on trading and crafting?

BronzeElemental
2011-07-20, 03:24 PM
That aspect is one of my favourites in gaming, trading and manufacturing is where the long term interest is at. With SWG SOE designed a truely unique and beautiful crafting system, why can't PS2 have something like that?

Say you take over a base, engineers can then rush out to deploy various mining machines. Later they can come back (if the base is still theres) and collect resources with which they can craft goods to trade with other players.

For example what if a player brings an engineer 3 jackhammers, 2 starter motors and 4 armour scraps. The engineer takes this gear, adds some of his own mined resources and hads back a super-max kill suit +1 with ten uses or something.

Not only would this introduce a very simple economy system (add credits and your set) BUT it would also give people FAR more incentive to capture and hold bases. Just think of the range of things that could be crafted; new armours, new weapons, new vehicles, bling for your ride (spoilers, rims, tinted windows etc.) new beards and other facal accessories, glasses, shoes, armour/clothing dyes, etc. etc.

Bags
2011-07-20, 03:25 PM
For example what if a player brings an engineer 3 jackhammers, 2 starter motors and 4 armour scraps. The engineer takes this gear, adds some of his own mined resources and hads back a super-max kill suit +1 with ten uses or something.

If you want this I suggest you play TF2.

CrystalViolet
2011-07-20, 03:28 PM
I want to see magic classes in PS2. Can't wait to play as a Vanu ice elemental mage.

BronzeElemental
2011-07-20, 03:29 PM
Some sort of cyber-punk technomage would be pretty damn sweet.

Bags
2011-07-20, 03:29 PM
Oh good, and then can we kill Arthas?

BronzeElemental
2011-07-20, 03:31 PM
Planetside isn't really a PvE kinda game I don't think. I'm not completely against the idea of some kind of giant robot beast that all three empires have to team up to defeat from time to time however.

Logit
2011-07-20, 03:40 PM
Planetside isn't really a PvE kinda game I don't think. I'm not completely against the idea of some kind of giant robot beast that all three empires have to team up to defeat from time to time however.

The beauty of Planetside is you get to kill real thinking people.

Giant Robots?

On the topic of crafting and such, I'm pretty against it as it tends to force people to sit around and do nothing, or farm resources etc..etc.. which is bad for the actual purpose of the game.

Which is death and destruction if you were wondering.

Kouza
2011-07-20, 03:52 PM
I giggled...

MgFalcon
2011-07-20, 04:00 PM
Idiots... I have the Sword of 1,000 Truths!

Bow before my awesome Epeen!

Craft me up a potion to throw at ye olde Terran and those In-dubious Conglomerates!

Whoknowswhat1
2011-07-20, 04:01 PM
The whole part of planetside is to fight the other 3 empires... not to "team together"... we have been fighting for 8 years. i plan on making that into 20

Logit
2011-07-20, 04:02 PM
I feel like you're going to have a hard time getting people on board when you use words like "crafting."

Most, including myself, immediately relate this to WoW or Evercrack, which are 2 forms of MMO I hope Planetside takes zero ideas from...except the whole being big and successful part.

Raymac
2011-07-20, 04:07 PM
Idiots... I have the Sword of 1,000 Truths!

Bow before my awesome Epeen!

Craft me up a potion to throw at ye olde Terran and those In-dubious Conglomerates!

How do you kill that which has no life?

To the OP, the title of this thread has a couple of Planetside swear words, so the skepticism here should be expected. Having said that, I really do want Planetside 2 to attract as many different kinds of gamers as possible.

Basically, the more people that play Planetside, the better it is. So I'm not against having some sort of crafting to appeal to the players that really love it. Even with the example you gave, I'm not seeing how it will work. Maybe when we get a look at the 3 year plan, and the sandbox ideas that have the devs all excited, we may see something very similar to this.

Bags
2011-07-20, 04:08 PM
But if they put in crafting to "attract those you like it" then those who don't like it (read: 90% of the fps community) are forced to do it.

Tigersmith
2011-07-20, 04:09 PM
Might as well start talking about a Auction house. When would that be added. Trading guns back and fourth with overpriced resources the TR will never have because they suck

Whoknowswhat1
2011-07-20, 04:11 PM
I feel like you're going to have a hard time getting people on board when you use words like "crafting."

Most, including myself, immediately relate this to WoW or Evercrack, which are 2 forms of MMO I hope Planetside takes zero ideas from...except the whole being big and successful part.

I agree 100%... I believe Planetside would have been "Big and successful" if they had advertised. It is a game worth playing and no other MMO can relate to it. People are stuck in the WoW system of "If you're not good enough for this game, complain a shitload to have (in this case) Blizzard make it easier, who gives a fuck about people who like a challenge". If planetside goes that way, it will surely become a generic MMO, instead of the kick ass it was made to be.

Whoknowswhat1
2011-07-20, 04:13 PM
Might as well start talking about a Auction house. When would that be added. Trading guns back and fourth with overpriced resources the TR will never have because they suck

Long live the striker, being the best fucking thing in the game

Bags
2011-07-20, 04:14 PM
Long live the striker, being the best fucking thing in the game

You mean the worst ESAV in the game? All it has is ease of use, which isn't really a good thing.

Raymac
2011-07-20, 04:16 PM
But if they put in crafting to "attract those you like it" then those who don't like it (read: 90% of the fps community) are forced to do it.

Like many things in games, it could be something you choose to do instead of being forced to do it. Like nobody is forcing you to be a Gal pilot, but other people choose to be. Having Galaxies in the game don't alienate the people who don't want to use them.

Hamma
2011-07-20, 04:18 PM
This thread is doomed sadly, I don't see any of this stuff happening and nobody is going to like it.. :lol:

Whoknowswhat1
2011-07-20, 04:19 PM
Post Deleted

Logit
2011-07-20, 04:25 PM
This thread is doomed sadly, I don't see any of this stuff happening and nobody as going to like it.. :lol:

Not so sadly, this is correct. People will be so against this idea, that including it would probably be on the same level is reimplementing BFR's

I will admit that it if done correctly, just like BFR's, it could work. But who knows how that is, and at this point no one is worried about it not being in.

Tigersmith
yep..hopefully this guy is serious :(

http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/cant-tell-if-serious-or-just-a-bad-troll.jpg

Bags
Compared to TR AA MAX (that you have to lead the target instead of track)
Compared to the TR MCG (where if u miss for 2 seconds you die to everything)
Compared to the TR MAX Lockdown (where NC can live longer by shields, and VS by flying in the air to avoid everything, even OS's)

What are you talking about?

Whoknowswhat1
2011-07-20, 04:29 PM
What are you talking about?

Balance issues that are not meant to be on this thread... Going to delete and move to other thread.

BronzeElemental
2011-07-20, 07:00 PM
I guess it depends on how you see planetside. I see it's potential as a war simulator to be far more interesting to me than as just a large-scale FPS. One of the things which I think was missing from the first planetside was some kind of logistics and/or resource management. These two ideas where half-heartedly implimented at best. No one really enjoyed driving an ANT out to sit inside a portal and no one really enjoyed endlessly stealing techplants to lock out the big guns (I'm sure some people did, but no one I know).

I'd just like to see it done properly or not at all.

basti
2011-07-20, 07:17 PM
This thread is doomed sadly, I don't see any of this stuff happening and nobody is going to like it.. :lol:

OPs a troll, nothing else. Get rid of him please...

Infektion
2011-07-20, 09:42 PM
That aspect is one of my favourites in gaming, trading and manufacturing is where the long term interest is at. With SWG SOE designed a truely unique and beautiful crafting system, why can't PS2 have something like that?

Say you take over a base, engineers can then rush out to deploy various mining machines. Later they can come back (if the base is still theres) and collect resources with which they can craft goods to trade with other players.

Not only would this introduce a very simple economy system (add credits and your set) BUT it would also give people FAR more incentive to capture and hold bases. Just think of the range of things that could be crafted; new armours, new weapons, new vehicles, bling for your ride (spoilers, rims, tinted windows etc.) new beards and other facal accessories, glasses, shoes, armour/clothing dyes, etc. etc.

Ok... A mod needs to delete this kids account, because every thread he's started is honestly filled with BS and everything that's anti-planetside, next thing he'll resurrect the instances in planetside thread! Let's ban his IP before it gets worse... Screw that, let's ban his subnet!

Death2All
2011-07-20, 09:49 PM
Ermm...I really don't see how trading and crafting have a place in a fast paced persistent world shooter.

BronzeElemental
2011-07-20, 09:53 PM
Ermm...I really don't see how trading and crafting have a place in a fast paced persistent world shooter.

While I see and understand your point the same could be said for other RPG elements in planetside. The idea that you have to spend a fair length of time selecting certs, customising loadouts, messing around with your locker, sorting the boot of your vehicle, etc. could also not "have a place in a fast paced persistent world shooter" IMO.

Hamma
2011-07-20, 10:02 PM
This thread has run it's course.