PDA

View Full Version : razer products

SKYeXile
2011-07-25, 08:52 AM
is it just me or are their products totally overhyped?

I brought razer imperiator about a year ago...whenever BCBC2 cameout when my ligitech mouse died and a cracked it with them, anyway the mouse was awesome to use and i think my avg K/D started to climb, but then every so often the thing just disconnects, for no reason, you can replug the usb in and it will work fine, but thats obviously annoy when your in the middle of a game.

anyway, i got over the mouse forming me to always palm it to reach the front button, i was playing MMOs at the time and brought a naga, it didn't have the disconnect problems...though i didn't load its drivers since i used the numpad binds.

anyway the mouse was sorta uncomfortable to play for FPS' given that i had no problem's with the naga, i tried a lachesis, after about 2 hours fighting pixilated bots in unreal tournament the thing died on me...replugged it in and it works again for an hour before it dies again.

i mean WTF does anybody else have problems with their shit?

Coreldan
2011-07-25, 09:15 AM
I have a Razer Imperator too and the disconnects seem to be a base fault for the model, other one being that the other axis sometimes stop working.

I've had one for like 4-5 months now and I've had no trouble with it so far, even if I took the risk that it has those faults. I also have the Belkin n52te, which has it's software made by Razer, and nowadays the same product is sold as Razer Nostromo. If it ever breaks, I plan to buy a new one. I'm likely to keep having a Razer mouse too once this one breaks/something else.

I don't know much about the quality of equivalent competitors (high end gaming mice), but overall the difference just between the Razer Imperator and my old Logitech Mx518 (not quite comperable, thoigh) is huge enough to never go back to anything but a high-end gaming mouse. I don't really care which brand as long as it works, but I have to say I love the looks of Razer-gear and my setup has already blue leds everywhere, so why change! :D

SKYeXile
2011-07-25, 09:23 AM
yea i kinda liked the imperiator, the thing is way more accurate than my old logitechs, but the disconnects started to shit me, also i like to use both the side buttons and in the rear position my fingers slightly sit over the front of the mouse, its sorta annoying.

oh yea i forgot, i also had a razer lycoss keyboard...but since i only have a keyboard for typing and not playing games...it kinda shitted me when random keys kept on dying.

SKYeXile
2011-07-25, 09:37 AM
wait so your imperiator still does the same thing though? i forgot about the axis not working sometimes.

Tigersmith
2011-07-25, 10:03 AM
I did have the razor mamba mouse. I gave that to my cousin. Nothing special at all. Very Conformable tho.

Currently I use the logitech G9X. The best mouse I have ever owned. Got it when it first came out. And when the one i have now breaks. I will be buying another one.

But I have acouple friends that have some keyboards from razor. They are not worth it..

This is what I have for keyboard. Amazon.com: SteelSeries 7G Gaming Keyboard: Electronics

Love it! Soo happy I picked it up.

BorisBlade
2011-07-25, 11:06 AM
Yeah they are all hype man. Seriously, dont buy the mice they are terrible. And i mean from a functional standpoint. They are horribly shaped, and have terrible ergonomics. I love the idea of the naga mmo mouse, but its designed by idiots who never actually use a mouse. The shape sux, the button placement sux, its just awful in so many ways. I have used several of their other mice since apparently my friends are stupid and buy these things. They all blow, terrible shapes, lack or buttons and/or terrible placement. Stick with Logitech for mice, they are the kings of mice atm. I personally just got a G700 and its great.

As far as KB's no clue, but its kinda hard to eff those up, should be fine.

I do have a Razer Charcarias headset and its really good, so at very least they can do headsets right. But avoid the mice like the plague.

Its all total hype, its like that Axe body spray/soaps. Its the same shyt as the store brand crap and the same as every single other brand out there its effin soap with perfume in it. But people buy it up like its goin outta style. They think they will get these women or somethin. Its all marketing. Proof of how stupid and easily fooled and influenced people are.

Coreldan
2011-07-25, 11:27 AM
wait so your imperiator still does the same thing though? i forgot about the axis not working sometimes.

I once had the axis problem for a few seconds but that disappeared as soon as it came. It has never disconnected for me.

Goku
2011-07-25, 11:34 AM
I have had the Imperator for just about a year now. The mouse has been nothing, but good to me thankfully. No issues like the disconnects you were having. I have gone through a copperhead that lasted 5 years, lachesis lasted under a year, and this is my third mouse with them. I think the lachesis originally had a lot of issues with them dying. Damn thing works from time to time, but then dyes again. IDK its temperamental.

Never used their sound or keyboard products. I never heard anything good or bad about the sound products. Though I heard to just avoid their keyboards, since they're total junk as far as quality is concerned given the huge price tag.

Vancha
2011-07-25, 03:09 PM
Early Razer were good. Their mouses were good "gaming" products in what was then a relatively small market.

Now though, it's safe to say Razer ain't what they used to be. Their products are still decent I think, but they've gone for marketing and flashy lights over quality (which isn't to say the quality's non-existent, it just takes a back seat). Hell, just look at the stuff they've brought out for Starcraft and Starwars, it's purely about the brand now, which brings us to "gaming" products today.

Somewhere along the line, companies realized "gaming" products didn't actually need to be decent, they just needed to look like spaceship control consoles to sell. That's not to say all companies prioritize the brand over quality, but you look at Razer or Thermaltake and the amount of bullshit in their marketing almost makes you throw up (exceptions being Logitech for certain, possibly Steelseries/Roccat/Mionix - although some of the latter three's products are suspect, Steelseries especially).

SKYeXile
2011-07-25, 05:52 PM
I did have the razor mamba mouse. I gave that to my cousin. Nothing special at all. Very Conformable tho.

Currently I use the logitech G9X. The best mouse I have ever owned. Got it when it first came out. And when the one i have now breaks. I will be buying another one.

But I have acouple friends that have some keyboards from razor. They are not worth it..

This is what I have for keyboard. Amazon.com: SteelSeries 7G Gaming Keyboard: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-64022-7G-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B000W6IY6O)

Love it! Soo happy I picked it up.

Yea i did look at that mosue but i got pissed at logitech after the G5 and its annoying coating on it, then the G9, with those sidebuttons that dig into your thumb, maybe ill take this POS back and try that...or another imperiator...i did really like it, but the disconnects are REALLY FUCKING ANNOYING.

SKYeXile
2011-07-25, 05:58 PM
Like i said though i dont use a keyboard for gaming, for WASD i use:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_erzABF25txs/TFFa4qZidXI/AAAAAAAAAGI/VSwWgxXamao/s1600/Devour.jpg
i brought a razer lycossa because its got blue lights and goes with my shiney blue lights in my antec case...yea i stay away from thermtake cases now too...but i think antex maybe going the same way as thermaltake, i may switch to lain li cases next.

but yea the razer lycossa...ii got the mirror one because i thought shinny would be cool...but offcourse as soon as it comes incontact with oily skin, the thing look TERRIBLE and you constantly have to clean it...its so annying..and like i said...random keys jsut stop working...

yea i sounds like i have alot of problems with perhiprals not working...but i use a G15 as mykeyboard now...not an issue...im sure it takes more power with the LCD screen than the lycossa. and if you google razer mouse disconnecting or something along those lines you get alot of reports of it...its posssibly a windows 7 64 problem..im not intirly sure.

BorisBlade
2011-07-25, 08:30 PM
Yea i did look at that mosue but i got pissed at logitech after the G5 and its annoying coating on it, then the G9, with those sidebuttons that dig into your thumb, maybe ill take this POS back and try that...or another imperiator...i did really like it, but the disconnects are REALLY FUCKING ANNOYING.

yeah test out mice first man, at very least you can get a feel for em at a retail store like best buy or somethin. I for one need a mouse with more buttons than those and better ergonomics, although most logitechs are good, no where near the awfulness of the razers.

The G700 is a really solid mouse. Quite a few buttons and good ergonomics, its prob got the most usable buttons of any mouse without resorting to that horrible mess of the Naga. Its also both wired and wireless and gaming grade features including various switch on the fly setups etc. And its priced well.

I previously had an MX Revolution. Good mouse as well. The second rocker wheel on the side can be used for 3 additional buttons and it still has several others to satisfy larger button needs. Great ergonomics as well, really liked the larger thumb rest and its battery seemed to last forever and charged fast.

Those are prob my top two mice. Lotta gimmicky mice out there, and i dont just mean the Razer ones *cough*mechatransformingmouse*cough*. So dont get sucked in to the hype. Find a comfortable one that has enough buttons for your needs. (i like as many as i can get lol) And make sure those buttons are also ergonomic. As in easy to use without fat fingerin several at once and without being confusing and you dont have to be double jointed to use. Gotta stave off the carpel tunnel demon. =)

BorisBlade
2011-07-25, 08:38 PM
Hey Skyexile, how do you like that pad? i used to have one of those older N52 speedpads back in the first year or two of PS (sadly it was built crappy, a few buttons were too stiff to press and some broke in the first few weeks). Yours seems to be a little better function wise with the curved layout.

I for one NEVER use teh number keys on a standard keyboard. (any numbers i type in chat i use the numpad) Only the immediate keys near wasd. Which is why i get a mouse with as many buttons as possible. Most every game i can get anyting i need onto the mouse and those buttons near wasd. Wow obviously uses a zillion keys and when i played that it took using a modifier key like ctrl/alt/shift + mouse for some things, esp priest healing.

Does that pad make the number keys easier to use? I would always hit the wrong key constantly when i used the ones on the kb, that curved style might be easier, is it any more ergonomic? I'm always up for tryin new little gadgets to improve my gameplay experience. One reason i love PC gaming! Options are near limitless!

SKYeXile
2011-07-25, 09:42 PM
Hey Skyexile, how do you like that pad? i used to have one of those older N52 speedpads back in the first year or two of PS (sadly it was built crappy, a few buttons were too stiff to press and some broke in the first few weeks). Yours seems to be a little better function wise with the curved layout.

I for one NEVER use teh number keys on a standard keyboard. (any numbers i type in chat i use the numpad) Only the immediate keys near wasd. Which is why i get a mouse with as many buttons as possible. Most every game i can get anyting i need onto the mouse and those buttons near wasd. Wow obviously uses a zillion keys and when i played that it took using a modifier key like ctrl/alt/shift + mouse for some things, esp priest healing.

Does that pad make the number keys easier to use? I would always hit the wrong key constantly when i used the ones on the kb, that curved style might be easier, is it any more ergonomic? I'm always up for tryin new little gadgets to improve my gameplay experience. One reason i love PC gaming! Options are near limitless!

yea i really only use 0-5 on the pad still, i never bind past that, i dunno i could easily reach them i guess though.

but the o and b are good button to use, so i the comma and full stop, i usually bind my redord button to the + or n, other stuff to K. i also use some of the f buttons.

yea i quite like it, this one has lasted me for years, i did try the one built into the kebyard, but that didnot last as long, iv had this for like 6 years i think, i have a backone incase it breaks, but yea its amazing, i love it, and would buy another fo sure.

other than that, you could bind movment to esdf and then you can use qwa for binds.

Coreldan
2011-07-26, 03:17 AM
I've had a n52te for like closer to 4 years now and I will never play a single game without it. If this breaks (I have from Belkin-era), I will buy the Razer Nostromo.

Given, I play a lot less MMORPGs than I did back then (god sent for WoW), but even for FPS games I have no plans coming back to WSAD movement, when I can move with just my thumb alone.

The only downside with it for me is that my table is so narrow that I cant have n52+keyboard+mouse side to side, so typing is pretty hard while playing.

SKYeXile
2011-07-26, 04:20 AM
Well i brought a steel series Xai, well see how this goes, sofar it feels similar to the logitech mouse grip or deathadder, it has a good laser and hrtz rate, it has a rubber grip, not a cheap plastic one.

Bags
2011-07-28, 09:43 PM
Strange, the only problem I had with my imperator was the software wouldn't work and their tech support wouldn't help.

So I went back to throwing my money at logitech.

Rbstr
2011-07-29, 11:42 AM
I stick with the corded Logitech MX500 series in whatever incarnation it's currently in...G500/400 I guess.

I've had a total of three in the style in about 10 years, that ain't bad considering how much use they get. Currently using a G5.

Furret
2011-07-29, 11:09 PM
I have the Diamondback 3G and I love it, never had a problem at all.

I also bought the Lycosa because I'm very into bright and colorful. I havent had a problem with the functions of the keyboard, and I like the keys, though the mirror edition does get fingerprinty a lot.

All in all I definitely like razer products and I'll continue to buy them, until one of em breaks or I have a good reason not to.

Evilmp
2011-07-31, 04:58 PM
I got a Lachesis a few years ago and it was the best mouse I ever had. Except for some serious problems with the drivers when it came out, including random mouse movements, jumps and just plain spasms. Once they fixed that issue (weeks dealing with it), it's worked great since.

Last year I picked up a Naga, and while I've got a claw grip the Naga is actually pretty cool to use. Sure, it's got a hump in it, but I've adapted my grip to give me precision I never had with the Lachesis. I have had a problem since I got it, however: I rest my thumbs just in front of the massive unused buttonpad on the left side. During a session that lasts more than an hour (every session) my thumb heats up gradually from the motion and LEDs there. Eventually it burns so bad I have to wrap my thumb or stop using it.

I still use both of them for my main two computers. Sadly, I won't be going the Razer route in the future.

As for a keyboard, I've owned a Razer Tarantula. This thing was a piece of shit. The only great awesome thing about it was the feel of typing on it. Silence, and softness. Everything else was shit. Broken, stuck keys in less than 4 months.

I use a Logitech G-15 keyboard now, and it's got the same typing feel but with reliability, durability (sometimes I pound it as do all gamers) and the cool factor of being able to design my own LCD layout and display the information that I want. I've used it over a year now, and it still acts brand new.

I think I'm grabbing the new Logitech with the color LCD next. This is by far the best keyboard I've ever used and I would recommend it to anyone.

Lorgarn
2011-08-02, 06:32 AM
I personally like Razer products.

I've had a Naga for about a year, probably the best mouse I've ever had. I've had the Megalodon headset for almost two years now. THE best headset I've ever used, handsdown, no doubt about it. It's got supercomfort and great soundquality.

However, I'm not a fanboy. I enjoy Logitech products just as much. It's just a question of personal preference mostly. Know what you want and buy thereafter accordingly.

Rbstr
2011-08-02, 02:42 PM
Eventually it burns so bad I have to wrap my thumb or stop using it.

Exactly how do you hold this thing and how low you do you have the resolution set that you've got to move that much?

My thumb tends to drag on the left hand side of the mouse...I've never had close to a similar problem.

Evilmp
2011-08-04, 08:32 PM
Exactly how do you hold this thing and how low you do you have the resolution set that you've got to move that much?

My thumb tends to drag on the left hand side of the mouse...I've never had close to a similar problem.

The tip of my thumb is usually found right in front of num key 1/2 on the Naga. It doesn't move as in sliding around, no. I use the tips of my fingers to push the mouse around, so my thumb is pivoting around. This, in combination with CSS or TF2, make a very heated surface.

My resolution is normally 1920x1200, and I play at the standard 1024x768.

Maybe there is an underlying problem that I haven't figured out yet. Either way, it gets hot.

Lorgarn
2011-08-08, 02:54 AM
I use a Logitech G-15 keyboard now, and it's got the same typing feel but with reliability, durability (sometimes I pound it as do all gamers) and the cool factor of being able to design my own LCD layout and display the information that I want. I've used it over a year now, and it still acts brand new.

I think I'm grabbing the new Logitech with the color LCD next. This is by far the best keyboard I've ever used and I would recommend it to anyone.

I've had the first edition of the G-15 since quite a few years back now. It's such a a great keyboard, it's pure quality. The buttons still feel fresh and responsive.

Hands down the best keyboard I've ever used. I'll not be getting anything else in the near future. I will be using this keyboard for at least another 1-2 years. My next buy for keyboard will be again be a Logitech without a doubt, probably the G-18 or a more recent G-board if it exist at the time of purchase.