PDA

View Full Version : Do you want more common pool or more empire specific stuff?

Galapogos
2011-07-25, 04:35 PM
My apologies if this has already been talked about in detail, I searched and did not find a thread or poll specifically dedicated to this topic. Anyways, I wondering if you guys would rather see more common pool vehicles and weapons, and thus more stuff everyone can use, or would you rather more empire specific vehicles and weapons, which a think are a lot cooler, even though most are never perfectly balanced compared to other E.S. stuff of the same type, such as medium assault.

Death2All
2011-07-25, 04:39 PM
I don't have any real preference as to empire specific or common pool. Simply more weapons/vehicles would appease me.

But since we're apparently unable as it stands right now, to loot enemy weapons I would like to see more empire specific weapons to hold me over for my addiction of looting. (Not sure how adding MORE weapons would help that but whatever).

Common pool suggest it's just a regular weapon. Empire specific means it will have that empires traits thrown into it and I'd like to see more of that.

MgFalcon
2011-07-25, 04:39 PM
Vanu need more Pew Pew guns.

Only us though. Everyone else can have the lesser forms of technology, of course.

Galapogos
2011-07-25, 04:50 PM
The only thing I like about common pool stuff is that for the same dev resources, everyone could use more stuff than if it were empire specific. For example, lets say 3 new weapons are going to be added to the game, if they are e.s. each empire gets one new weapon, whereas if they are common pool, each empire can use 3 new weapons.

Bags
2011-07-25, 04:51 PM
If we can loot enemy weapons than definitely more ES.

Sirisian
2011-07-25, 05:57 PM
I'd prefer more common pool weapons with empire specific skins. (VS version fires energy bullets while TR and NC use regular rounds etc with identical ammo types essentially). Less whining when it comes to balancing. This is mostly in regards to the idea that we can't loot enemy weapons. I used to be able to just grab the better gun once in a while, but they're getting rid of that ability.

Firefly
2011-07-25, 05:59 PM
All empire-specific.

And this not-looting/not-hacking shit is stupid. "Waaa we can't afford it!" ... not my fucking fault, maybe SOE's masterminds shouldn't have made dumb business decisions that fucked up the budget. Less gay elves, more hacking/looting in Planetside 2.

DreaM
2011-07-25, 06:16 PM
All empire-specific.

And this not-looting/not-hacking shit is stupid. "Waaa we can't afford it!" ... not my fucking fault, maybe SOE's masterminds shouldn't have made dumb business decisions that fucked up the budget. Less gay elves, more hacking/looting in Planetside 2.

I'd rather they just make a solid game and possibly add the fluff aspects later on.

FIREk
2011-07-25, 06:21 PM
Empire-specific all the way, budget and manpower permitting.

Even if it's the same common-pool stuff (stats-wise) with different models, particle effects and sounds.

To be honest, though, I think only the VS really need their own variants. It looks weird when the VS use blam-blam guns when the majority of their weaponry is pew-pew based.

NC and TR would probably be fine using poven technology.

I'm thinking Tribes 2-style grav-bikes in place of ATVs.

Assorted grav-vehicles for the utility stuff (transport, Harasser equivalent etc).

A Vanu laser/beam sniper rifle (Bolt-Driver equivalent) that needs to be manually reloaded to replace an overheated cartridge-like heat sink, in order to allow for a second shot. Much like it's done in Mass Effect 2.

Or a Vanu Punisher that is simply another beam assault rifle, only with a grenade launcher. I kind of imagine the Punisher being absent in PS2 and replaced with weapon customization for already existing empire-specific assault rifles.

I can't really see how to make the Thumper and Rocklet more Vanu-like, though. Just make them look more sleek, without the big revolver mag, only with a big capacitor that allows them to fire orbs or bolts of energy, respectively?

Not sure about aircraft, though...

BorisBlade
2011-07-25, 06:32 PM
ES variants of weapons that are really more just a visual difference, aka different projectile look and weapon model but act the same otherwise, those are fine and simple to do.

But when they start tryin to get them to work differently it quickly can become a balance issue. Look at the MA weaps. Which in basic function are exactly the same, only the fire rates/damage per hit are really different which seems easy to balance. The cycler seems fine with its lower damage because of its higher fire rate which in theory should be the same overall. But due to the nature of ranged burst fire, how that interacts with bloom, the way armor absorbs damage, etc. It ends up being quite inferior. And dont get me started on the HA weaps.....those are a nightmare. It could all be fixed but its not as simple as you would think sometimes.

I like the empires to play a bit different but its a delicate line in a game like this. Giving advantages in some situations to certain empires just frustrates the others. Luckily the customization aspects could allow for features that allow every weapon to all have the same functional aspects with different tweaks or mods. Atleast to some extent.

Rbstr
2011-07-25, 06:38 PM
ES variants of weapons that are really more just a visual difference, aka different projectile look and weapon model but act the same otherwise, those are fine and simple to do.

Now that's just a waste of everyones' time. If they're going to be identical besides skin, save the effort.

EASyEightyEight
2011-07-25, 07:10 PM
With weapon customization, I imagine a few of the common pool weaponry has been rendered rather obsolete. For instance, I don't doubt for a second in PS2 I can attach an underslung grenade launcher to my Cycler, or underslung shotgun, or bayonet... or even a darklight (that'd be cool.) Handgun modifications may make the AMP largely pointless to have in game.

I believe with customization, sticking to empire specific weaponry and ditching the CP weaponry won't be too detrimental to PS2. I will miss the look and feel of my Punisher though. Such an awesome weapon.

NapalmEnima
2011-07-25, 07:28 PM
With weapon customization, I imagine a few of the common pool weaponry has been rendered rather obsolete. For instance, I don't doubt for a second in PS2 I can attach an underslung grenade launcher to my Cycler, or underslung shotgun, or bayonet... or even a darklight (that'd be cool.)

That just gave me a Flash of Inspiriation:

Empire Specific Customizations.

Not at all sure what those might be, but I do like the concept.

Ah. The brain cells are firing again:

Empire Specific Decimator customizations:
NC: bigger warhead, slower projectile
TR: Sub-munitions! Not quite "high rate of fire", but reasonably similar.
VS: (much?) faster projectile.

Empire specific grenade launcher customizations for standard rifle[s]:
NC: Rail accelerator gives the GL faster projectiles and longer range.
TR: Rate Of Fire. 3 grenades instead of 2 (fer instance), full auto option.
VS: Groovy Energy Grenades. Uses standard VS energy ammo instead of specific grenade ammo, but can still do some semblance of the usual grenade effects.

basti
2011-07-25, 10:17 PM
I said it years ago and i say it once more: I want empire specific Assault Aircrafts, Empire Specific Gal Gunships, Empire Specific EVERYTHING. Common pool is nice, but empire specific stuff really rocks everything. But that needs to come with jacking vehicles. :)

nathanebht
2011-07-25, 10:23 PM
WEAPONS: Players will be able to access more than 20 basic weapons, which can be customized to players’ preference or purpose.

VEHICLES: More than 15 vehicles with two unique vehicles per empire. Players will be able to customize each vehicle, unlocking new skills and features.

www.g4tv.com (http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/714336/planetside-2-details-air-vehicles-time-based-unlocks-new-classes-and-more/)

20 weapons and 11 vehicles per empire? Guessing that Max suits are not among the unique vehicles per empire.

Interesting poll question. I'd like more common weapons and vehicles if it would speed up the release. Empire specific vehicles and weapons can be added after release.

Bruttal
2011-07-25, 11:08 PM
depends if they give me my large disco balls back

Firefly
2011-07-26, 12:57 AM
Guessing that Max suits are not among the unique vehicles per empire.
A MAX suit is not a vehicle. It's classified as armour. Hence the term "SUIT".

EASyEightyEight
2011-07-26, 02:51 AM
We're forgetting that the description is not official. The 11 vehicles?

ES Buggies: 3
ES Tanks : 3
AMS
ATV
Mossie
Reaver
Galaxy

And the only guess is the ATV. We're still missing a lot of old PS1 vehicles there. Still room for MAX suits. They may come from equipment terminals, but I still have to fight them with heavy ordinance like any other vehicle ;) Realistically, I expect them to be classified as weapons instead however.

Senyu
2011-07-26, 03:33 AM
Lot of people are gona cry unbalanced but i vote for empire specific

Ya it sucks when I rolfpwn by jackhammer or mowed down by a full crew prowler. It sucks deal with it. I'll just enjoy the little fact my MAX hops over the wall shooting everyone below me.

Each Empire will have its strengths and weakness's in all fields. As long as one doesn't dominatly own in more ways than the others I'm fine with little unbalances here and there as long as each is equal in their own ways

Baneblade
2011-07-26, 03:36 AM
Make the shotguns common pool at least.

Vancha
2011-07-26, 03:58 AM
I like the idea of empire-specific skills for common-pool weaponary. I like the idea of empire-specific skins for identical vehicles and weapons (i.e. the hoverbike for VS, ATV for NC and something TR-like for TR), and I like the idea of more empire-specific equipment (ESHA/ESAV).

Empire specific reavers, snipers and lightnings? Yes please.

Malorn
2011-07-26, 06:33 AM

AMS
ATV
Mossie
Reaver
Galaxy

And the only guess is the ATV. We're still missing a lot of old PS1 vehicles there. Still room for MAX suits. They may come from equipment terminals, but I still have to fight them with heavy ordinance like any other vehicle ;) Realistically, I expect them to be classified as weapons instead however.
Matt mentioned Liberator in one of his posts here, and i have to think that there is also a Deli. Lodestars function can/should be an AMS variant.

CutterJohn
2011-07-26, 06:40 AM
I don't mind the empires has similar equipment with differing pros and cons.

I do mind when the equipment has wildly differing capabilities.

In other words, I'd prefer balance like the MA weapons were, not the AV weapons. Small differences for flavor, not wildly different capabilities like protoss/zerg/terran.

WarChimp130
2011-07-26, 07:12 AM
I want more Empire Specific things, just no Raider type things where you need 5 people to make it not blow.

NewSith
2011-07-26, 09:37 AM
I would definetely like more ES vehicles, but I'm quite certain that it brings hardships in terms of balancing.

Firefly
2011-07-26, 09:41 AM

AMS
ATV
Mossie
Reaver
Galaxy

AGAIN. MAX Suits are classified as armour, just like Agile and Rexo and Standard and Infil suits.

Vancha
2011-07-26, 10:27 AM
I'm pretty sure the ESMBTs and ESBuggies count as 2, not 6.

Headrattle
2011-07-26, 04:00 PM
Please tell me we will get a skyguard like vehicle.

Chaff
2011-07-26, 04:33 PM
All empire-specific.

Poaching weapons off the enemy, and hacking their vehicles is not only fun - it's REALISTIC. It's LAME if SOE chooses NOT to put this in right from the start.

IF the new Gameplay & environment are INCREDIBLE....then I will allow SOE permission to add weapon poaching and vehicle hacking back in 3 to 6 months after PS2 is rocking.

EASyEightyEight
2011-07-26, 04:52 PM
AGAIN. MAX Suits are classified as armour, just like Agile and Rexo and Standard and Infil suits.

*Whoosh* Reading comprehension fail.

And I know there would be more than the vehicles I mentioned (get the joke now?) I was going by the "pre-order" description of the game ;) Which was a really low estimate on their part.

I'm pretty sure the ESMBTs and ESBuggies count as 2, not 6.

You have to look at it from an advertising perspective, not the perspective we see. Bigger numbers = bigger eyeballs.

Talon
2011-07-26, 09:59 PM
I agree that there should be more unique equipment and vehicles for the factions, specific aircraft, land and Weapons.. add more Variety to the game like this is PS2, lets take this to places PS1 only dreamed of.

Vancha
2011-07-27, 03:18 AM
You have to look at it from an advertising perspective, not the perspective we see. Bigger numbers = bigger eyeballs.

I'm pretty sure we had the 11 number before the pre-orders went up. We were discussing which 11 vehicles they'd referred to not long after FanFaire. If you consider the new skills system, 11 seems reasonable.

ESMBT, ESBuggy, ATV, Buggy (Harasser/SG), Lightning, Mossie, Reaver, Lib, AMS and two of the Deli, Lode or Sunderer.

That encompasses all but one of the vehicles in PS1 minus the ancient tech and phantasm. Oh, and the ANT...but I wouldn't be surprised if that had disappeared.

Poaching weapons off the enemy, and hacking their vehicles is not only fun - it's REALISTIC. It's LAME if SOE chooses NOT to put this in right from the start.
Again...there's Earth-like trees on Auraxis, a planet we reached by traversing a wormhole. Realistic got thrown out the window a long, long time ago.

I'm fairly sure we got confirmation in the Reddit Q&A that inventories won't be in PS2, so being able to loot people would be fairly pointless as we'd have no way to pick up their equipment anyway...