PDA

View Full Version : Base Makeover

Senyu
2011-08-07, 04:42 AM
Just a idea I thought of. Also would be nice for the devs I think as well.

When a empire captures a base, they are allowed to do a minor change to it. This minor change would be in the form of slight layout varieties. Maybe a bend to this wall here, a door slightly bigger. That wall has more fortifications. The function and benifit of the base would not change, just the layout in small ways that aren't completly redoing the whole thing.

The highest commanding players or maybe all players within short range may vote on which design to pick from or simply leave it as is from the last empire that choose it. There could be from 3 to 5 choices so its not to much but enough for variety. With this system a little variety would be there for each base but more importantly I think it would help the devs alot.

Think about it, its like a test for succesful designs and if they work or not. They would see which ones are more popular and be able to ask/see why. They would also very easily be able to add more choices or remove some. It would be perfect feedback on bases as the game grows. And maybe even every once in awhile have a Design a Base event where the winner's design is added as an option in the game.

Hamma
2011-08-07, 11:44 AM
This is a pretty interesting idea :thumbsup:

DashRev
2011-08-07, 12:01 PM
Only if I can spec into Interior Design with a sub-spec into Art Deco

EASyEightyEight
2011-08-07, 12:51 PM
I'd rather if the bases just matched the empire that owned them aesthetically without any player interaction. When I walk into a VS base, it should look like a VS base, with smooth, sleek, purple plating everywhere, alienish lighting (low and in the walls or coming up through a grate/glass the floor) and circular halls. Basically, a clean laboratory look.

TR would get the militaristic, minimalist feel with ceiling lights, some piping, semi dirty panels, etc. Probably hexagonal halls.

NC would feel like a refinery or factory. Not ruined, just, industrial. Square halls. A rebel faction should feel like they've taken everyday farm/construction/mining equipment and attached deadly implements to it.

I'm not expecting miracles though, not before release anyway. We'll probably see custom bases and Empirical designs when outfits can purchase and place their own bases though. I can imagine a new planet being used solely for that purpose. Then we shoot each other over them.

headcrab13
2011-08-07, 01:53 PM
I'd rather if the bases just matched the empire that owned them aesthetically without any player interaction. When I walk into a VS base, it should look like a VS base, with smooth, sleek, purple plating everywhere, alienish lighting (low and in the walls or coming up through a grate/glass the floor) and circular halls. Basically, a clean laboratory look.

DAMN that is an awesome idea! Of course that would require a bit more work if it's not already planned, but that would be insanely cooler than just switching the wall textures.

I would love to see this implemented even if it showed up late in the three-year plan.

@Senyu - Great idea, I'd like to see something like this as well. Maybe not *very* small changes, but some tactical choices here and there like removing barriers, bunkers, walls, or small hallways would be cool.

It would be exciting to assault an enemy base than you had just owned a day earlier, and suddenly the hallway leading to the spawn room has been removed and you have to find a different route. I'm not talking about totally revamping a base, just a handful of choices that could be made by commanders to keep things fresh.

-HC13

opticalshadow
2011-08-07, 02:18 PM
i like the idea the bases match the empire specifically. that was a really cool idea.

Duddy
2011-08-07, 02:28 PM
Well, given that it would seem to be that you can "spawn" some structures I think there is a good chance that there might be differences between structures for each empire.

It'd be interesting for sure.

Avirau
2011-08-07, 03:12 PM
Making some very minor changes to bases could be interesting if it were implemented properly. I also really like having the bases match their empire a bit more.

That said, I'd also like to see a bit more of a variety in terms of base aesthetics compared to PS1. Sure, each type of facility had a different layout, but they all felt so similar. Maybe have slight variations (visually, that is) on each continent to differentiate them some more?

Talek Krell
2011-08-07, 06:27 PM
Having the bases match their empire would be awesome, but how would you get capturing to work? I mean imagine if you were standing in a corner in an NC hallway and then it switched over to "round"...

Kouza
2011-08-07, 08:09 PM
I would be happy with Modular lay outs, that were slightly randomized so no base is the same TBH.... PS 1 is cool but, I get sick of defending the same 5 or 6 places over and over again, the same exact way.

Senyu
2011-08-07, 09:01 PM
Having Empire themed bases would be really awesome. But I wouldn't mind if they released it as a content patch later. Its one of those things I want to be eventually added but fine waiting for a little bit

Senyu
2011-08-08, 03:31 AM
Having the bases match their empire would be awesome, but how would you get capturing to work? I mean imagine if you were standing in a corner in an NC hallway and then it switched over to "round"...

I imagine there would be like a 2 minute construction phase or something where the base slowly changes over to the new design.

With my idea there would be no change if the vote is keep the current design but if changed then parts of the base that are effected will change within 2 minutes. An Example would be you seeing a tactical wall appearing over the side and it unfolding/building its self up. And another section being torn down it would just recced into the ground or nearby walls. Having active moving parts make it so those areas arent off limits while building and have it set up so if the player stays there they may fall onto the ground from the floor beneath them moving but they cant get stuck in a glitched spot or something.

headcrab13
2011-08-08, 05:52 AM
An Example would be you seeing a tactical wall appearing over the side and it unfolding/building its self up. And another section being torn down it would just recced into the ground or nearby walls.

This reminds me of certain Portal 2 levels where the chambers reconstruct themselves as you arrive, and platforms move into place to design a puzzle or functional feature before your eyes.

It would be cool to see a handful of animations like that for base modifications, but even a simple barrier sliding into place or a bridge extending would be a neat effect, and relatively cheap to do as far as design.

Great ideas all around, Senyu.

-HC13

FastAndFree
2011-08-08, 07:55 AM
But remember that everything on Auraxis revolves around nanites, so if such a reconstruction system were to exist it would most likely work by deconstructing and reconstructing walls, so you would see them "melt away" and the rematerialize, without anything moving around

Coincidentally, that would probably be easier to put into the game

Graywolves
2011-08-09, 04:32 AM
Having the bases really show what empire they're on would make victories feel that much more sweeter.

It would add alot of satisfaction out of taking a base, even if purely cosmetic.

Infektion
2011-08-09, 10:17 AM
Only if I can spec into Interior Design with a sub-spec into Art Deco

Don't forget that we are doing time based training... fuck man, that's like going back to school. I quit before I even began. F-that!

Atuday
2011-08-11, 01:01 PM

TR would get the militaristic, minimalist feel with ceiling lights, some piping, semi dirty panels, etc. Probably hexagonal halls.

NC would feel like a refinery or factory. Not ruined, just, industrial. Square halls. A rebel faction should feel like they've taken everyday farm/construction/mining equipment and attached deadly implements to it.

I'm not expecting miracles though, not before release anyway. We'll probably see custom bases and Empirical designs when outfits can purchase and place their own bases though. I can imagine a new planet being used solely for that purpose. Then we shoot each other over them.

OLD OSHUR :rofl:

Tcakes
2011-08-11, 09:03 PM
Smeds mentioned something in an interview about the towers, how it looked like they had "landing gear" leg thingies. what's to say when you take over a base, that entire base doesn't go away and you get some sort of empire specific command mod that falls from the sky or is built. then the base slowly expands or quickly grows depending on resources owned around the area. I don't know just an idea. I don't want to say what is or isn't without really knowing any mechanics of ps2. I don't want to hold on to the ps1 version of the game too closely.

Hamma
2011-08-12, 11:46 AM
I would think that bases are still a static structure.

Kouza
2011-08-12, 12:20 PM
Don't forget that we are doing time based training... fuck man, that's like going back to school. I quit before I even began. F-that!

You don`t want to cert interior Decoration? noob.

Chaff
2011-08-12, 01:08 PM
I think it's a cool idea to have each Empire give a base a unique aesthetic so they are visually and structurally unique to each Empire - while not completely structurally different. But hey, why not have each Empire have it's own design for a Tech Plant ? (prob too much game resources)

Maybe each Outfit has the ability to customize it's own base (or tower) variants. Then, depending on how much work that Outfit did to help take or establish the base - it would convert to the Outfit (Variant) that put in the most overall time & effort. Perhaps SOE would build in a randomizer - so smaller Outfits got thier own customized base versions every now and then.

I really like the idea where bases would NOT ALWAYS HAVE THE SAME LAYOUT. Change some hallways, terminal locations, stairwells, doors, spawn tubes, indoor and wall cover..... KEEP GAME PLAY FRESH by puting a little variety into base & tower layouts & structure.

I'd love that. YES - CUSTOMIZE BASES - MORE than in PS1.

When we fight in another Empires base - it should "look" and "feel" foreign.