PDA

View Full Version : I want names for upgrades. not just numbers.

krnasaur
2011-08-12, 08:36 PM
For PS2 I think it would be a good idea to have something like

OptimX increased magazine

rather than

+20 magazine ammo

and

reinforced dragonskin armor

instead of

+50 armor

now I'm not saying dont have the numbers, i think that unique upgrade names would add more depth to the game. Numbers would still be there, but not the main focus.(off to the side/rollover etc)

What do you guys think?

Talek Krell
2011-08-12, 08:49 PM
I'm expecting them to run more along the lines of "Scope" and then it applies your personal bonus, rather than having a scope for every level of the associated skill.

HawkEye
2011-08-13, 04:25 AM
This is not WoW. I think the numbers for increases are just fine.

exLupo
2011-08-13, 04:38 AM
More like "This is not Borderlands". While I do like a fruity name for a weapon augmentation there I don't think it fits PS's style. I assume gear and mods will have names it will be more functional or simply short.

Cycler w/ High Power Scope and Extended Magazine
Vanguard w/ Anti-Aircraft Miniturret

PS names stuff already. Simply calling mods +20 blah is probably out but I don't see them going overboard with the frills.

Sentrosi
2011-08-13, 07:48 AM
I want my +5 Voporal Chainblade damnit!

Dorest0rm
2011-08-13, 08:02 AM
I want dragonskin armor on my Reaver.

LZachariah
2011-08-13, 09:54 AM
I am totally in support of the OP here. Adding a sense of depth to the upgrades will deepen our love of the game. Additionally, this could be used to further differentiate and add nuance to the three factions. For instance:

Terran Republic: "High-caliber Osmium rounds - Extremely high-density, toxic ammunition replacing the standard cartridge of the Terran miniaturized, man-portable chaingun. Increased weight of the round reduces accuracy and muzzle-velocity, in exchange for superior stopping power and organic trauma due to contact with Osmium toxins."

+10% Recoil, -10% Range, +15% Armor Penetration, +15% Damage
This upgrade requires 100 units of Osmium

Vanu Sovereignty: "Auraxium-Fission Core - By replacing the standard high-explosive [Boomer] charge with 30 micrograms of Auraxium seated within a 10 centimeter fission reactor, the standard anti-personnel explosive greatly increases it's destructive yield."

+15% Blast Radius, +20% Damage, +15% Knockback.
This upgrade requires 10 units of Auraxium.

It would deepen the game significantly. An excellent consideration, OP.

~Zachariah

dachlatte
2011-08-13, 12:04 PM
I am totally in support of the OP here. Adding a sense of depth to the upgrades will deepen our love of the game. Additionally, this could be used to further differentiate and add nuance to the three factions. For instance:

Terran Republic: "High-caliber Osmium rounds - Extremely high-density, toxic ammunition replacing the standard cartridge of the Terran miniaturized, man-portable chaingun. Increased weight of the round reduces accuracy and muzzle-velocity, in exchange for superior stopping power and organic trauma due to contact with Osmium toxins."

Vanu Sovereignty: "Auraxium-Fission Core - By replacing the standard high-explosive [Boomer] charge with 30 micrograms of Auraxium seated within a 10 centimeter fission reactor, the standard anti-personnel explosive greatly increases it's destructive yield."

~Zachariah

doesnt sound too bad but no fantasy stuff dragonskin please

Sirisian
2011-08-13, 12:35 PM
What if we have dragons? :lol:

Rbstr
2011-08-13, 12:42 PM
+20 magazine is silly, but there's no reason to invent stupid "brand" naming, especially if there's no real economy, and thus no reason to add that kind of thing.

Descriptive names like "extended magazine" "upgraded plating" or "red dot sight" are just better.

Tatwi
2011-08-13, 12:43 PM

Pretty sure the dragon skin was a joke.

OP is right, even when the actual benefit is just some numbers, most people form an attachment to an item based upon its "lore", its name, its looks, and what they went through to get it. The "bigger picture" is that all of those little achievements form the player's attachment to the game itself and the gear is a reminder of the good times they've had. Translating that to a skill tree system like Planetside 2's, it would be easier for a person to remember the circumstances involved when they earned their Superduper Megaman Scope of Awesomeness than it would be to remember when they got at +2x to the zoom stat. It's just the way the brain is conditioned to work from a young age (everything in our lives have names).

MasterChief096
2011-08-13, 03:04 PM

~Zachariah

Those percentages are way to high. Essentially the upgrades that are going to be in the game are useless. It'd be more like 1% increase to damage, 1% increase to blast radius, and 1% increase to knockback. The numbers up there are just overpowered as hell and I hope its never that way in the game.

Sirisian
2011-08-13, 03:56 PM
Those percentages are way to high. Essentially the upgrades that are going to be in the game are useless. It'd be more like 1% increase to damage, 1% increase to blast radius, and 1% increase to knockback. The numbers up there are just overpowered as hell and I hope its never that way in the game.
There's a thread you made for that discussion (http://www.planetside-universe.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36903) already. I think he was just giving random examples. You feel very strongly about this though it seems. :rolleyes:

Regarding the actual topic I'm indifferent. Naming of things doesn't bother me.

krnasaur
2011-08-13, 05:23 PM

dragonskin was just an example, the point of the post was for names themselves, not really concerned with what the actual name is at this point

Bags
2011-08-13, 06:11 PM
i think that unique upgrade names would add more depth to the game.

You are joking, right?

OT: I don't care either way really.

Soothsayer
2011-08-13, 06:45 PM
How about this...

PS2 will have massive stat tracking... So they track who does the most damage at range, most headshots, most distance travelled in a lightning, most whatever during beta then base the name of an upgrade off of their name.

Huma
2011-08-14, 04:01 PM
I'd have to agree with the naming thing. Besides it's just just more fun to say. Even in fpss you get stuff by name and it changes the appearance of your weapon. Like you can tell what someone has on their weapon just from looking at it.

Talek Krell
2011-08-14, 11:09 PM
I don't really follow the logic of this. These guns are assembled on site by the dozen using standard blueprints, and lost forever moments later when the guy carrying them bites a bullet. Not smithed in magical fire by dwarven forgemasters.

Planetside's memories have always come from events, not equipment.

Graywolves
2011-08-14, 11:25 PM
I can name my customized weapons/armor/loadouts myself.

Get my cycler so suped up that I'll call it Cherry's on Top. :D

Kouza
2011-08-15, 10:29 PM
Doubt we will see dumb names for stuff TBH........ Never seen a Sony game with that.

Death2All
2011-08-16, 06:31 PM
This is not WoW. I think the numbers for increases are just fine.

This thread has to be one of the more retarded issues regarding the game.

Brusi
2011-08-16, 11:31 PM
THIS IS IMPORTANT!