1.) A few weeks ago my HD gets a disk read error
2.) I plug it into an external HD converter and run chkdsk
3.) A week later, disk read error again
4.) Fix it again
5.) Repeat 4 - 5 times over three days
6.) Buy a new hard drive
7.) Install everything, fine for three days
8.) Disk read error!
9.) Instead of running chkdsk, I switch which cable connecting to my mobo connects to this HD (there are two HDD cables on my mobo)
10.) Lo and behold, boots up fine

So, does this mean it's more likely that either the cable or that slot on my mobo is bad? It looks like that, but then why would running chkdsk fix it?

Misc info: Ran Unigine's Heaven benchmark with HD in the different slot w/ diff cable and averaged DOUBLE the minimum FPS than when it was in the other slow, and increased my score by an average of 8.

Thanks for any help.

Hamma
2011-08-20, 11:29 AM
I would agree it's either the cable or the motherboard, It's certainly possible a chkdsk would fix it for a short time it's hard to say for certain. I'd def try running it over a new cable on the same plug and see what happens.

Krowe
2011-08-20, 02:18 PM
You don't happen to have an external drive do you?

I have a 2tb Seagate Barracuda and I got the same problem, but if i didn't leave it plugged in then there were no problems.

Bags
2011-08-20, 03:27 PM
You don't happen to have an external drive do you?

I have a 2tb Seagate Barracuda and I got the same problem, but if i didn't leave it plugged in then there were no problems.

I do have a 250gb external HD. However, last time I got the disk read error (yesterday) I didn't have it connected.