PDA

View Full Version : News: New Don Ferrone Music for Planetside 2...

T MAN
2011-08-21, 08:46 AM
Just found this on youtube Don Ferrone "planetside 1 composer" posted 2 new tracks for Planetside 2.
Here's what he said in the youtube description.

"The demo contains 2 new tracks I submitted to Andy Sites.(New producer for Planetside 2). To all the players of the original "Planetside", I would like to extend my personal thanks for all the your kind words and I hope to get the opportunity to compose and produce for you.

Warm Regards,

Don Ferrone"
"
New_Planetside_Demo1_donferrone.mov - YouTube
New Planetside_Demo2.mov - YouTube
"These tracks complete the submitted demo to SOE. Wish me luck!!

Don Ferrone"

bjorntju1
2011-08-21, 08:56 AM
Damn awesome news! Loved the music in Planetside 1! :D

Grimster
2011-08-21, 09:09 AM
Wow, that demo was awesome.

I hope his music makes it into the game.

SavageB
2011-08-21, 10:30 AM
No doubt PS1 music was awesome, I would think we will see some stuff by him again in the sequel.

Hamma
2011-08-21, 11:03 AM
Nice find, posting up.

Malorn
2011-08-21, 11:05 AM
Awesome! This just made my weekend!

Any of you making PS videos should use this music :)

Crator
2011-08-21, 11:20 AM
Yay! Very nice!

Whoknowswhat1
2011-08-21, 12:08 PM
this is sick... makes me wanna play even more now

DviddLeff
2011-08-21, 12:15 PM
Sweet find.

Oh if you want to hear some unused PS1 music, head to the PS sound file directory and check out the empire specific orbital station tunes.

Malorn
2011-08-21, 12:18 PM
I think those were used, they sound familiar.

razor851
2011-08-21, 12:21 PM
I fapped.

Mastachief
2011-08-21, 12:35 PM
nice :D

LZachariah
2011-08-21, 12:41 PM
I'm extremely excited about this- the music in Planetside 1 was absolutely iconic, and it continues to impress me that the team is showing such dedication to carrying the true soul of Planetside across to the sequel. These two songs rocked my freakin' morning.

~Zachariah

SpLiTNuTz
2011-08-21, 12:44 PM
Nice

Malorn
2011-08-21, 12:46 PM
That's a reaver, they released it about six months ago.

Bags
2011-08-21, 12:46 PM
Really liked the second track.

Leyxa
2011-08-21, 01:04 PM
That is definitely the Planetside sound. It's that electric violin. You just don't hear it elsewhere. It's insanely versatile and Don Ferrone uses it for a lot of different things. And because it's unique sounding, it creates a common thread throughout the Planetside music even as that music changes styles and forms so drastically. It can be the lead in a rock anthem or a soldier's hymn. And it sounds futuristic to boot. A fantastic sci-fi instrument and fantastically used here. I wuvs it.

The orbital music is used inside the HART buildings. It's a track that you would have become quite familiar with in the early days waiting on ten minute HART timers.

Nephilimuk
2011-08-21, 01:12 PM
Nice I thought the original score for Planetside was superb. I hope Don's work gets picked up by the new team.

Music imho when you are getting your first impressions of a game is really important and Don aced it first time around.

Lonehunter
2011-08-21, 01:20 PM
Very nice tracks, very "Planetsidey"

CrystalViolet
2011-08-21, 01:24 PM
Not big on the first track, but the second was very well done. Can't wait to hear more.

RedKnights
2011-08-21, 01:33 PM
Any of you making PS videos should use this music :)

Damn I wish I could but the bitrate for that video is so low, the second one is perfect too... :(

But my god what glory is that second track eh? Sounds like some in-battle music for an empire or an overall theme, I love the choral sections.

It's also nice to know the string arrangements from the Vanu tracks will carry over to the second game as well. Violin vocals are always nice :love:

FIREk
2011-08-21, 02:41 PM
So what do you guys think we can do to improve Don's chances on actually making the whole soundtrack? Send copious amounts of fan mail to Matt, Smed, Andy Sites and whatever other decision-influencing/making people we can find? ;)

ECM
2011-08-21, 03:04 PM
Sweet. I'm happy.

GTGD
2011-08-21, 03:47 PM
This made my day, Don Ferrone's music was one of the greatest parts of Planetside. The main theme gives me the chills to this day.

ObsidianOne
2011-08-21, 04:12 PM
I'm sure most of you know, but he has some alternate PS tracks that were never put in the game on his site here: http://www.donferronemusic.com/index.php?s=listen

Evilmp
2011-08-21, 04:46 PM
Another one uploaded a few minutes ago:

New Planetside_Demo2.mov - YouTube

FIREk
2011-08-21, 05:07 PM
I wonder what the fact, that they're looking for someone to make the music, says about how advanced in development the game is...

Graywolves
2011-08-21, 05:13 PM
I think you can put music in at anytime really.

this music has me hyped to play Planetside.

Raymac
2011-08-21, 05:40 PM
Another one uploaded a few minutes ago:

Wow, that almost brought a tear to my eye.

LZachariah
2011-08-21, 05:41 PM
I am totally in agreement with FIREk (thanks for replying to my YouTube comment!). Does anyone have an Email address to which we can send advocacy letters to some of the higher-ups in favor of Ferrone? Post it here!

~Zachariah

Raymac
2011-08-21, 05:50 PM
I am totally in agreement with FIREk (thanks for replying to my YouTube comment!). Does anyone have an Email address to which we can send advocacy letters to some of the higher-ups in favor of Ferrone? Post it here!

~Zachariah

SOE seem to have a common forumla for their email addresses. For example, [email protected]

So, if you know their name, you should be able to figure out their email.

Lunarchild
2011-08-21, 07:12 PM
Posting here it will likely get picked up by them anyway. I do agree with all of you though: Awesome tracks! And he would definitely be able to keep the PlanetSide vibe in the game.

Anyhow, as you posted the address for Smedley above, from what I hear from inside sources is that he does read all his mail, and tries to reply to as many as possible. So, if you really feel the need to affirm with SOE your opinion about this, Smedley may be a good place to send it. Can even include a link to this topic so he can check out the opinions of the fans here in general.

Aractain
2011-08-21, 07:49 PM
I really liked the TR tracks from PS1 and the NC was okay but I always thought the VS one was just too bland for such a technology based faction.

Hopefully the new music will be invigorated with more style and techno ology.

MasterChief096
2011-08-21, 08:21 PM
I love hearing some of the similar sounds from PS1 in the new PS2 demos, they still have the PlanetSide feel but are definitely very different, I enjoyed them very much, and can't wait to hear more.

Galapogos
2011-08-21, 08:36 PM
I think some old school ambient house and some glitch would be cool for the vs.

Grimster
2011-08-22, 02:40 AM
Wow, that second post with the opening menu music. Really powerful and really fitting for Planetside in my opinion. I sincerely hope this makes it into the game because it is AWESOME!

Higby!! Get in here and comment. :D

:)

Bravix
2011-08-22, 04:07 AM
I really liked the TR tracks from PS1 and the NC was okay but I always thought the VS one was just too bland for such a technology based faction.

Hopefully the new music will be invigorated with more style and techno ology.

While I understand where you're coming from, I don't see why just because the Vanu are technologically advanced, that they're music needs to change dramatically to sound 'techno.'

FIREk
2011-08-22, 04:23 AM
You must keep in mind that it all has to be background music and can't dominate the game. I'm pretty sure that house music or, dare I say, dubstep would distract people from the gameplay sounds like shots and explosions. ;)

Tikuto
2011-08-22, 04:27 AM
Do not like the VS music. :cry:

Aractain
2011-08-22, 04:42 AM
While I understand where you're coming from, I don't see why just because the Vanu are technologically advanced, that they're music needs to change dramatically to sound 'techno.'

Its just my personal view on the music. The TR had this powerful epic feel which I loved. Having the TR tunes play in your SOI or Sanc was really awesome.
I didn't identify with anything in the VS tracks as "Vanu" (since there wasn't anything in them really).

As I mentioned in that music thread the music for Emperor Battle for Dune was perfect in its identification of the factions and the Ordos specifically is very similar to the Vanu. The music really helped that game become such an awesome thing to play through.

I want that effect for the VS this time, thats all.

Senyu
2011-08-22, 04:50 AM
Always something amazing to listen to. Really hope these make into Planetside 2 and he can compose more

Malorn
2011-08-22, 08:01 AM
These, like the original music, are spot-on. I can think of only one reason why they wouldn't take Don Ferrone a second time - cost/contract terms. I hope they work out a deal that them both happy. If I don't see Don Ferrone music ill be disappointed. I'm sure Matt & co are reading this thread. Maybe Don too! If so you are awesome Don!

Tigersmith
2011-08-22, 09:39 AM
This is amazing. love the music already. Ill be open to hearing other submissions tho :)

Vancha
2011-08-22, 10:06 AM
That "electric violin" certainly carries a distinct PS vibe for me now. I'd love to see it in PS2's tracks as well...

Malorn
2011-08-22, 10:13 AM
I don't think I can ever hear an electric violin without thinking of Cyssor.

Malorn
2011-08-22, 12:41 PM
I too really liked the last 30 seconds of the first demo video. Hardcore awesome that was.

I also wouldn't worry about it not making into the game, swapping music files is easy. However, if they had already made a music contract with someone else then that's another story, but I can't imagine them doing that without at least contacting the guy who did such a great job for them in the first one. I expect that they put out a request for some samples and Don did so. Might be a time window for submissions and then they take them all and see what they like and then work out a deal. They could very well just be using stand-in music for now (like PS1 music) or none at all.

ikon
2011-08-23, 06:33 AM
soo great

can't wait for more from him

MasterChief096
2011-08-23, 08:04 AM
Truth be told with so many new changes being implemented in PlanetSide 2 such as increased weapon lethality, killing sprees, resource system, veteran power advantage, etc, I think one of the key things that would retain that sense of PlanetSide "feel" would be if the same guy did the music.

He knows how to set the mood for this universe quite well.

TerminatorUK
2011-08-23, 11:37 AM
PS1's music was amazing and one of the most memorable aspects of the game. 8 years on and it still feels as good as The first time I heard it - that shows real talent.

The title music is simply awe inspiring and really sucks you into the enormity of the game.

I really hope Don's music is chosen for Planetside 2, it wouldn't be the same without it.

Wizkid45
2011-08-26, 10:56 AM
First off, I wouldn't want anyone else but Don to compose the music for PSide 2, its just from what we've seen so far it doesnt feel as powerful. Yes it sounds nice, but it doesn't penetrate your soul like the music in PSide 1 does. Comparing the intro/opening music: his new one submitted for PSide 2 is just too calm, too mellow, not powerful enough compared to the original PSide. The current PSide 1 intro can send chills down my spine but I got bored listening to the submitted PSide 2 intro. All these submissions seem like music you would use in a movie/video, not background music in the game. Too calm in some spots but then way too active in others, not consistent how the current music is. Just my opinion.

None of what I saw for PSide 2 can compare to original stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9QqvNUe2p8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7SPSLlriLM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjL6mx6Quqc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-oJvNurG80&feature=related

Just a few of the epic music we know and love. This guy has a bunch on his channel, take a moment and listen to a few of them now as your not in game:
http://www.youtube.com/user/madMike2dCod#p/c/D419D5813A76D60C

Lunarchild
2011-08-27, 09:47 AM
First off, I wouldn't want anyone else but Don to compose the music for PSide 2, its just from what we've seen so far it doesnt feel as powerful. Yes it sounds nice, but it doesn't penetrate your soul like the music in PSide 1 does. Comparing the intro/opening music: his new one submitted for PSide 2 is just too calm, too mellow, not powerful enough compared to the original PSide. The current PSide 1 intro can send chills down my spine but I got bored listening to the submitted PSide 2 intro. All these submissions seem like music you would use in a movie/video, not background music in the game. Too calm in some spots but then way too active in others, not consistent how the current music is. Just my opinion.

None of what I saw for PSide 2 can compare to original stuff like this:
<snip>

Then again, they're only the first demos. There will likely be many changes up till the final version :)

NlightN
2011-08-27, 10:36 AM
Not only that but, without knowing anything specific about the geographical layouts of the game, how can you say any of these tracks aren't fitting.

That calm and that mellowness could be a perfect fit for possibley a barren, desertlike region that they might be implementing.

basti
2011-09-09, 04:02 PM
LINK! NAW! :D

bjorntju1
2011-09-09, 05:02 PM
I think this is the one: Hades Long Tunnel.mov - YouTube

Malorn
2011-09-09, 11:42 PM
He said links, as in plural. Are there more?

And Duke, jesus man you should know better than to ask just link them! We all want to hear them!!

bjorntju1
2011-09-10, 07:42 AM
He said links, as in plural. Are there more?

No, the newest track after that one is from 2 weeks ago.

duck
2011-09-11, 11:16 AM
Please, we want Don Ferrone music in Planetside 2!!
One of the best things about Planetside 1 was the music.