PDA

View Full Version : Walk through teammates?

NCLynx
2011-09-17, 02:44 AM
This may have been brought up already. But personally I'd like to be able to walk through my own empire in PS2. So many times have I been taking fire but still have enough life to survive only to be pushed WAY back outside by someone exiting as I tried to enter.

I'm sure there are negatives to this but it's late so I'll try and think of how this could suck later.

Edit: This is without knowing new base layouts. Clearly it won't just be crowded hallways that feel like one way traffic anymore, so if the layouts are a ton better this post is null.

Lonehunter
2011-09-17, 03:50 AM
This is actually a very big issue to me. I've played too many FPSs where I've been screwed over by being "pushed" by a teammate while I'm trying to get a kill. I can't think of a reason why friendly avatars collide at all.

Tcakes
2011-09-17, 06:18 AM
not to sound like the true prick I am, but this is one of the reasons why I like having ff on. sometimes "MOVE!" just doesn't register fast enough. or if that person is truly being an ass then hey, they deserve to be shot (sometimes killed depending on size of ass). Getting pushed out/stuck in a tight spot sucks sometimes. Normally it's my fault for not using alternate route. The idea that I can just walk through my buddy would be lame. Also I would be reminded of movies where ghosts walk through people and that just makes my soul feel sullied and used.

basti
2011-09-17, 07:14 AM
Walking throu friendlys? What? Do you even have the slightest idea how that would end?

FastAndFree
2011-09-17, 08:47 AM
Walking throu friendlys? What? Do you even have the slightest idea how that would end?

MAX clown-pileups?

2coolforu
2011-09-17, 08:57 AM
Yeah I don't see this idea working, surely it will just lead to insane annoyance when friendlies constantly walk through you as you shoot at enemies resulting in buttloads of grief and rage.

Collision between friendlies is a good idea, it's a way of forcing people to adhere to tactical spacing so that AOE spam doesn't have a disastrous effect. Just imagine 20-30 guys all clipping through each other in the rush through the backdoor when a thumper guy hits them with a few shots.

Zulthus
2011-09-17, 11:48 AM
No, horrible idea. Just phasewalking through teammates is stupid. Totally breaks the immersion.

Talek Krell
2011-09-17, 11:53 AM
Yeah, probably not a good idea. Better to solve the problem with base layout design I think.

jollytraveller
2011-09-17, 11:57 AM
Have you actually considered the ramifications of something like this? Just one example would be blocking doorways with MAX units that friendlies can simply run through to repair before popping back outside again while the NME can't force their way through.

About to die? Don't worry, just morph through my MAX unit to safety.

And that's just one example.

FIREk
2011-09-17, 12:30 PM
Collisions with teammates do make a lot of sense. They add pressure in indoor fights (squeezing through a door, for instance) and don't allow a brazillion people to hog a single piece of cover. Also, team damage issues when standing "inside" a friendly. :)

I suppose we should be able to "push" friendlies slightly and, with PS2's non-broken netcode, we will most likely not be thrown info walls when someone pushes us a few inches. :P

Facilities won't be so cramped in PS2, so I see no reason why we should have to walk through teammates in PS2.

Bags
2011-09-17, 12:37 PM
So much team killing will happen if this is possible.

nathanebht
2011-09-17, 01:21 PM
I'd assume that PS2 has full collision detection between friendly or enemy players/vehicles. Was SOE ever asked this question?

Raymac
2011-09-17, 01:27 PM
Add my voice to the chorus of "No thanks". While collision and pushing can get annoying, it's neccessary in something like Planetside I think.

Then again, a "Max-Clown-Car" tactic might be worth it just for the comedy factor. haha

Traak
2011-09-17, 01:36 PM
The closest I've seen to this is the Router...