PDA

View Full Version : Beta Test

Gubru
2003-03-05, 09:40 PM
Well, I'm new here, and I just applied for the Closed beta. I have a few Questions, and I must admit, I am kinda nervous.

My first and only Question is, what is the diffrence between the closed Beta and the Open Beta?
And, will I get to play on both the Open beta Server AND Closed one if I get picked as a tester? (if a such thing exists - the servers, that is.)

Anyways, thanks for your time,
-Gubru

Sando138
2003-03-05, 09:42 PM
1) Open Beta usually does not have a Non-Disclosure Agreement. there are more people in open beta.
2) Maybe. open beta isn't out yet.

Gubru
2003-03-05, 09:44 PM
Damn... so, if I get picked for closed Beta, could I still play on te same servers?

Is there some way to switch from closed beta to open beta?

Fire_Monkey
2003-03-05, 09:44 PM
closed beta is for people with T1/Cable connections, and comps above requirements. Closed beta, will be bug finding, and basic testing. They are in the second week of closed beta, starting the third.

open is stress testing, they will try to fill the servers

Gubru
2003-03-05, 09:45 PM
Damn. Now that I know this, I wish there was a way to switch.

Could I re apply somehow...?
Or is there another way to switch?
And can I still play ont he same servers as the Open's?

Fire_Monkey
2003-03-05, 09:47 PM
I don't think you can reapply, if you try to send in another application, they kill both. what are your comp specs, that will be the main reason if they choose you for closed.

and the betas occur at different times, there will not be any simultaneous testing. First closed, then open.

Gubru
2003-03-05, 09:49 PM
1.53 Ghz Athlon XP 1800+ (So it's around 1.6 Ghz)
Geforce 4 Ti 4200 overclocked (It's as powerful as the 4600)
I have DSL, with a Soundblaster Live! Value card
512 DDR ram

Gubru
2003-03-05, 09:51 PM
Wait, I just had a brain wave. If I'm not "Fit" for the closed beta, will they switch me over to the Open?

Hamma
2003-03-05, 09:56 PM
Im sure if you get into closed you will be in it for the long haul.

I doubt they would do everything over again.

HawkEye
2003-03-05, 10:00 PM
i have 128 RAm that means no beta for me. :no: :tear:

Gubru
2003-03-05, 10:01 PM
So your saying that IF I get into the Closed Beta, I can only play on the Closed beta Servers, and I cannot switch to an Open beta, EVER. Right?

HawkEye
2003-03-05, 10:06 PM
theres no Beta for me. :( :tear:

Hamma
2003-03-05, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Gubru
So your saying that IF I get into the Closed Beta, I can only play on the Closed beta Servers, and I cannot switch to an Open beta, EVER. Right? :confused:
Closed beta is simply a phase of beta. Once it goes into open, closed is over. :p

If you were in closed, i see no reason why you will not be in open.

Fire_Monkey
2003-03-05, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Fire_Monkey
and the betas occur at different times, there will not be any simultaneous testing. First closed, then open.

exactly what i said here, maybe a little less clearly

Gubru
2003-03-05, 10:39 PM
loL! Thanks. No more confusion for me!! :D

But then why do they have the check box for close beta still up there? Kinda strange. So now that close beta is over, and I signed up for it, will they kill my application or move me to open?

Fire_Monkey
2003-03-05, 10:45 PM
closed beta isn't over yet...when it is, open beta will begin.

Arthell
2003-03-06, 12:22 AM
Heres a question :

Is it considered 'applying' if you didnt send in the dxdiag? I remeber reading something about them not looking at people that didnt send it in, but theres always a chance ...

I signed up on this comp until i got to the dxdiag and remembered this comp didnt meet the min requirments, so i abandoned that account, made a new one and applied with the 2nd computer, botht with same email.

Gubru
2003-03-06, 07:33 AM
I heard that you had to send the DxDiag in to confirm your specs. And I also heard (Mind you, both of these are rumors) if that you send in two Beta Apps, they BOTH get killed.

Now, here's my qustion: If I'm in Closed beta, and it finishes, will I automaticlly be switched to open beta? Or will I have to reapply?

Sando138
2003-03-06, 07:39 AM
yes, when closed ends, you probably won't need to reapply. they will send you an e-mail asking if you want to participate in the next phase, i bet.

Gubru
2003-03-06, 07:55 AM
WHOOO! BOOYA! :D
This makes me very happy... now I just hope I get into the beta...

Gubru
2003-03-06, 04:21 PM
Here's another question:

I have a freind who says he's play Planetside. But he said there was a way of DOWNLOADING the Beta. Is there, and if so, where?

This would be handy, so I woudn't have to wait for my CD int he mail IF I get picked... still havn't heard back fromt hem... *sniffle*

Marlboro Man!!
2003-03-06, 04:42 PM
OMG i clicked for open beta and not closed beta :mad: :scared: :ugh: :flamemad: :tear: . for the past few weeks ive been waiting for an e-mail and i completely forgot i never picked close. i have cable and over the sys reqs. :tear: oh well i guess ill just have till close is done and open .is uhh opened:D

edit:maybe i should spam more so im not an eternal recruit:D

Tobias
2003-03-06, 04:44 PM
You wont be selected MM cause the Vanu dont like you.

Marlboro Man!!
2003-03-06, 04:45 PM
hey i like the vanu as a matter of fact i was thinking of being vanu. :love:

Tobias
2003-03-06, 04:47 PM
You have both the NC and TR symbols in your sig, and the NC one is in the good spot, it is un forgivable.

Marlboro Man!!
2003-03-06, 05:12 PM
:D i could ask airlift to fix it but im still undecided and i wouldnt want to bother the sigmastah. i love all empires:love: :love:

MrVulcan
2003-03-06, 05:15 PM
Yes, the NC one is in the prime position! come to the NC side, join [FC], and we can grantee that you will play beta! ** So ignore the vanu king tobas, and embrace the dark side!

**if you are selected for the beta by the PS dev teem, and comply with all agreements with sony, and ... btw, we have nothing to do with it.... but if you can play, we grantee you can play!

Marlboro Man!!
2003-03-06, 06:21 PM
very nice site Mr.vulcan. to tell you the truth when they first cam out with empires way back when NC appealed to me the most. then the vanu then the tr now im upriver without a paddle so to speak. dont know who to choose!!:p

MindTrigger
2003-03-06, 06:24 PM
I'm very impressed with the way SOE is handling the fine tuning of this game. Finally a company that takes the gamer's opinion seriously.

cynicalscope
2003-03-06, 06:41 PM
I agree with mind. As long as the game gets to me without bugs, holes, or anything else that will just annoy the piss out of me. I can hold my breath on the game.....