PDA

View Full Version : MAN A TURRET!

basti
2012-02-14, 02:08 PM
AI

http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/viewer.php?img_id=1884

http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/main/psnext/twitter/20120214_4f3abf6583e73.jpg

AA

http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/viewer.php?img_id=1885

http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/main/psnext/twitter/20120214_4f3ac1d92ee2b.jpg

AV

http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/viewer.php?img_id=1886

http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/main/psnext/twitter/20120214_4f3ac37be28a1.jpg

Atheosim
2012-02-14, 02:09 PM
That's actually....reallyfukingcool.

Hamma
2012-02-14, 02:09 PM
http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/viewer.php?img_id=1884

http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/main/psnext/twitter/20120214_4f3abf6583e73.jpg

PoisonTaco
2012-02-14, 02:13 PM
Is that part of the base or is that what Engineers will be able to build?

Mirror
2012-02-14, 02:14 PM
i like it

Coreldan
2012-02-14, 02:14 PM
Man a turret? Sure, just send me a beta key :)

I'd say that is a wall turret, doubt it's engi deployed, that one.

Looks cool

Figment
2012-02-14, 02:15 PM
Dual machine gun AA/AI? No flak wall turrets should make it a lot harder to hit targets at range. I'm sure aircav will be pleased to hear that.

basti
Is that part of the base or is that what Engineers will be able to build?

I would guess part of base, given that it is actually, well, part of a base.

Shogun
typical basewall turret position. but who knows?

Knightwyvern
I approve of this. Oh yes.

Bravix
2012-02-14, 02:16 PM
Looks like a great weapon for swatting some pesky mosquitos.

Crator
I really like that it is more inset to the base wall this time.

Aurmanite
That is pretty bad ass.

Canaris
2012-02-14, 02:17 PM
ahem...... !!!!!!OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!... sorry had to get that out of my system. I've been waited awhile to see some more of the bases designs and their defenses, once again the direction of the style and art of PS2 is taking is giving me a warm fuzzy feeling :D

Miir
2012-02-14, 02:17 PM
<insert standard image looks fucking amazing quote here>

I want ES turrets!

Shogun
2012-02-14, 02:18 PM
could still be that there are no basewallturrets by standard and that engineers can put them on the walls (also in own soi this time)

Bravix
2012-02-14, 02:18 PM
If you look closely, I don't see any indication that it is actually part of the base. I'm assuming it would be so, but the way the turret emplacement is 'clamped' onto the wall's surface implies emplacement.

basti
2012-02-14, 02:19 PM
MAN ANOTHER TURRET!

See first post! ;)

Atheosim
2012-02-14, 02:20 PM
I would guess part of base, given that it is actually, well, part of a base.

I agree with both sides. I think it's engi deployed. But they deploy it onto a fixed location on a base. That way each empire can have their ES wall turrets. I could assume that there are lesser mannable turrets that can be deployed outside of a base, but I'm not sure.

Edit: But then again, it doesn't really look like the platform its on was a part of the base design. Looks like you can place it on any flat surface maybe?

Bravix
Omfg turrets galore!

Heaven
That is bang on perfection. Boom!

Shogun
yeeeha! the flakhammer!

Hamma
Rehosted also - apparently an air turret. Or "turrent" :p

http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/viewer.php?img_id=1885

http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/main/psnext/twitter/20120214_4f3ac1d92ee2b.jpg

AncientVanu
2012-02-14, 02:22 PM
Oh man I can't wait to blow up some of these with the scythe.

Miir
2012-02-14, 02:23 PM
Correction... these are not turrets. It's just the TR max in lock down. :P

Bags
2012-02-14, 02:24 PM
Second turret is bad asss.

basti
2012-02-14, 02:26 PM
And a third turret, this time AV!

Bags
2012-02-14, 02:27 PM
Why can't I hold all these turrets.

Hamma
2012-02-14, 02:27 PM
Just added it to your post this time basti. :lol:

basti
2012-02-14, 02:28 PM
Just added it to your post this time basti. :lol:

You just confused the fuck out of me with that move. :D

General M
2012-02-14, 02:35 PM
Looks awesome

FriendlyFire
2012-02-14, 02:41 PM
These are possibly the most bad ass photos I have seen so far.

Sabrak
2012-02-14, 02:41 PM
Looks so cool!

But I doubt it's integrated to the base wall. More like an engi deployable to me.
Look at the last picture (the AV one), the turret's "feet" you can see on the left doesn't seem to fit on the wall: they're kinda in the air, while the right ones are fitting.

Same for the AI turret (first one). The foot on the left is kinda out of the wall.
Like if it wasn't spawned at the exact right place.

FriendlyFire
2012-02-14, 02:43 PM
WIP.

ThGlump
2012-02-14, 02:49 PM
None of them is properly centered on that platform, so either they are getting sloppy with base design or its engi deployable. And on first one you see large portion of wall with no other turret there, so its definitely deployed.

2 weapons on each turret. Can we combine them like MAX weapons? 1AA+1AV turret instead of 2xAA?

polywomple
2012-02-14, 02:51 PM
None of them is properly centered on that platform, so either they are getting sloppy with base design or its engi deployable. And on first one you see large portion of wall with no other turret there, so its definitely deployed.

i dont see it

ThGlump
2012-02-14, 02:57 PM
If it was part of the base, there would not be need for that additional "feets" to keep it in place. They feel kinda unnecessary for fixed guns, but very reasonable for deployed guns. They are 90% deployables.

Ailos
2012-02-14, 03:09 PM
If it was part of the base, there would not be need for that additional "feets" to keep it in place. They feel kinda unnecessary for fixed guns, but very reasonable for deployed guns. They are 90% deployables.

I hope so. This is definetely better than a spitfire.
Fuck yeah for engineering!

Jimmuc
2012-02-14, 03:11 PM

aye thats what im thinking...hmm field deployables that can be used as ad hoc base turrets that can be placed at certain spots on the base hmm...

Vash02
2012-02-14, 03:25 PM
I would of thought the second picture of the OP was the AV and the third the AA.

Still looks freaking sweet, though with a glass screen no more handy hiding place in a tight spot :p

looking a bit closer there is no glass cockpit, my mistake :) handy hiding spot still in existence.

Rbstr
2012-02-14, 03:26 PM
What is it, RTCW:Enemy Territory or DoD or something where the engineer was often able to build objects at certain fixed locations?

Perhaps these turrets
are put only on bases
or in certain places

Squeegeez
2012-02-14, 03:30 PM
I would of thought the second picture of the OP was the AV and the third the AA.

Yeah, me too, unless the second one is flak and the last one is straight-fire rockets?

Graywolves
2012-02-14, 03:34 PM
I want to kill everyone with those!

General M
2012-02-14, 03:35 PM
Yeah, me too, unless the second one is flak and the last one is straight-fire rockets?

The second one looks like flak to me

Livefire
2012-02-14, 04:04 PM
The second one looks like flak to me

Ya its a high speed 20mm flack gun just like the duel and quad 20mm flack guns mounted on tanks, pilots call them the golden bullet cause if they are at low to medium altitude they will destroy even the newest aircraft, need guided missiles for high altitude defense.

Now that we are on turrets and base defenses I would like to share an idea I have had from way back in the early years of Planetside. So engineers would be way more important, when they strap a base up with CE they could also like customize software they install into the base and can move the turrets around on the base and basically design the total base defenses them selves. Once again the players could decide everything from where turrets are what kind they are, and could build and load advanced AI software into them so the base could reasonably defend its self from initial attacks tell troops arrive. No cookie cutter crap. It would take one engineer a while to hook up a whole base but several can work together to do it faster just like in PS1 but now with way better equipment. It would emphasize the art of being a engineer actually changing the way Planetside looks and feels and how the bases function, a sandbox environment is always popular with players . Allow a expert tree engineer that does little else but build bases defense systems and deployables/ manage base radar systems and repairs/ surveillance systems,and battle management systems would allow a player to really get into it, not just as a side skill you only do when your not fighting. Even outfits could finally build there own bases using all the cool engineers ability't building a base from scratch. Those turrets being large wall deployable looking might be what they are on track to do if so I'm going to be a happy engineer:)

Chaff
2012-02-14, 04:20 PM
EXCELLENT IDEAS Livefire

Yes. ENG would be Hella Cool with those sorts of expanded abilities.

....add in field bunkers....the more ENGies working together the bigger they could be (up to a reasonable point)....and with MORE ENGies working together...you could add exterior walls (cover) attached to - or surrounding the area outside the bunker - to make it even more defensable.

....deployable field turrets....AA, AI, AV.....would improve gameplay.......Outfits could set up ambush alleys anywhere on a map they wanted...with all kinds of goodies to slow or stop opposing forces (of small or medium numbers)....

Exciting possibilities within the ENG Cert Tree(s).

I could see an Outfit having certain themes to keep the Outfit energized. One time, they could camp strategic mountain tops along major air routes.....and build major AA fortresses to counter enemy Air Cav routes.....ADV ENGies could have a whole LOT of fun things to do. I hope the DEVS are on a similar wavelenght to what I've read in this thread.

SniperSteve
2012-02-14, 04:24 PM
Quite sure they are wall turrets. (i.e. non-deployable, but perhaps constructable.)

Death2All
2012-02-14, 04:26 PM
They look awesome...I just hope they're not as ridiculously powerful as they were in PS1. Or at least balanced properly. Infinite ammo, with no recharge or cool down, you could just constantly spam all day. Borefest.

basti
2012-02-14, 04:28 PM
They look awesome...I just hope they're not as ridiculously powerful as they were in PS1. Or at least balanced properly. Infinite ammo, with no recharge or cool down, you could just constantly spam all day. Borefest.

Powerful?

Did you ever play Planetside? :o

VioletZero
2012-02-14, 04:35 PM
I'm looking at this thinking to myself "Man this would be cool if it had a pair of reverse jointed legs."

Vash02
2012-02-14, 04:36 PM
Powerful?

Must be a biffer pilot, turrets always sent them scurrying away :P

Figment
2012-02-14, 04:54 PM
Powerful?

Probably refering to AA Wall Turret.

ratfusion
2012-02-14, 05:21 PM
Well done, I hope engys can build the exact equivalents in the field.

Hmr85
2012-02-14, 05:32 PM
The Turrets looks great. This is how they should of looked the first go around. :)

Come on Beta. I can't wait to get in there and try those bad boys out.

Metalsheep
2012-02-14, 05:34 PM
I hope this time the Phalanx turrets have a recharging shield like the Field Turrets. They always felt so squishy when you were manning one in PS1. One AV soldier was enough to down all the turrets on a base from a distance that the turret couldnt even shoot back at effectivly. They didnt do to well against anything really, except Mossies sometimes.

Raka Maru
2012-02-14, 06:21 PM
If those are field deployable, then gal defense would work out a lot better.

Hamma
2012-02-14, 06:37 PM
I can't imagine these are deployable other than switching out barrels on the base turrets

ThGlump
2012-02-14, 06:54 PM
Why not? In ps1 fixed base turrets had sense. You had no other way to create some defense. Deployed turrets came much later.
But if you have deployable manned turrets already ingame, why make another set of different base turrets when you can use deployable one. Ofcourse fixed could have more benefits (automatic defensive fire, stronger than deployed, self repairing). But those are benefits that could be added to deployed turret in soi of a base if needed.

Only one thing speaks for fixed base guns. That theyre marked NS, and no ES turrets.

Knocky
2012-02-14, 07:02 PM
I suppose it is possible that there are only hard points on the wall and Engineers are required to build the wall turrets.

Since turrets are so easy to destroy in PS I certainly FEEL like I have built wall turrets over and over....and over....and over.....

Warborn
2012-02-14, 07:04 PM
I can't imagine these are deployable other than switching out barrels on the base turrets

The engineer class was described as having turrets that required people to man them. I wouldn't expect them to have mannable base turrets which are entirely different than constructable engineer turrets. In fact, maybe bases don't even have turrets by default and engineers have to build them manually?

Hamma
2012-02-14, 07:05 PM
Hmmm perhaps :D

Biohazard
2012-02-14, 07:59 PM
I cannot wait to see the lighting; if it looks anywhere near as good as that AA gun, I will start throwing money at the screen until I can drive it.

On another note, it would be awesome if engineers could build these on walls, or near deployed galaxies. I can only hope that these are as deadly as they look.

Evil Redrum
2012-02-14, 08:28 PM
I cannot wait to see the lighting; if it looks anywhere near as good as that AA gun, I will start throwing money at the screen until I can drive it.

I'm glad you like this :D hopefully you will like the paint job I did on the Lightning as well.

Hmr85
2012-02-14, 08:30 PM
I'm glad you like this :D hopefully you will like the paint job I did on the Lightning as well.

You guys did a great job on the turrets. I can't wait to see what you did with the lightning. Where is your SOE tag?:groovy:

Mastachief
2012-02-14, 08:32 PM
These turrets look badass... much love to the artists :D

Evil Redrum
2012-02-14, 08:33 PM
You did a great job on the turrets. I can't wait to see what you did with the lightning. Where is your SOE tag?:groovy:

I didn't know we had one haha, I just made this account about 5 minutes ago.;)

Hmr85
2012-02-14, 08:38 PM
I didn't know we had one haha, I just made this account about 5 minutes ago.;)

Well Welcome to PSU. You guys have been doing a fantastic job on PS2. I just wanna say we love what you guys have done. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Also yeah, your name is in blue. Hamma on here should be able to hook ya up :D

Evil Redrum
2012-02-14, 08:41 PM
Well Welcome to PSU. You guys have been doing a fantastic job on PS2. I just wanna say we love what you guys have done. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Also yeah, your name is in blue. Hamma on here should be able to hook ya up :D

Haha thanks, I enjoy reading people comments on here and reddit whenever something of mine gets posted to see what you guys think of it. That would be cool getting the fancy blue name and what not, but if it doesn't happen that cool too. :)

Hmr85
2012-02-14, 08:43 PM
Haha thanks, I enjoy reading people comments on here and reddit whenever something of mine gets posted to see what you guys think of it. That would be cool getting the fancy blue name and what not, but if it doesn't happen that cool too. :)

My only complaint is that you choose the purple VS heretics ;). You should really consider joining the NC. Freedom fighters baby!!:lol:

Skepsiis
2012-02-14, 08:43 PM
These look fantasic, awesome job.

Hoping for an awesome hi tech ui and hud when manning these with overlays for leading targets or highlighting threats.

Xaine
2012-02-14, 08:48 PM

Thanks for stopping by to say Hi.

They look fantastic, as does all of the art in PS2. The world looks incredible. :)

Evil Redrum
2012-02-14, 08:49 PM
My only complaint is that you choose the purple VS heretics ;). You should really consider joining the NC. Freedom fighters baby!!:lol:

Haha I kind of feel obligated for VS because the Scythe was the first thing that I did for this game so I have a bit of love for that side. I do like the NC though they are my 2nd choice if VS isn't available.:D

Hmr85
2012-02-14, 08:52 PM
Haha I kind of feel obligated for VS because the Scythe was the first thing that I did for this game so I have a bit of love for that side. I do like the NC though they are my 2nd choice if VS isn't available.:D

Haha, fair enough. The scythe looks great by the way. It really has that alien Vanu look to it. I can't wait to see how it flys/crashes when I shoot it down in game. I'll be looking for ya on the battlefield. :D

CaptainMaverik
2012-02-14, 08:59 PM
anyone else notice the guy stood on the roof?, kinda gives an idea of scale, these bases are huge

KALU
2012-02-14, 09:03 PM
Holly shit nice find!

I am loving the scale of things!!!

HitbackTR
2012-02-14, 09:09 PM
These may look cool but they will still be missilebait. Hopefully they won't be as redundant as base turrets where in PS1.

xSquirtle
2012-02-14, 09:12 PM
Two good things are in this thread. Good looking turrets and a good perspective of the scale of these bases.

Mastachief
2012-02-14, 09:14 PM
anyone else notice the guy stood on the roof?, kinda gives an idea of scale, these bases are huge

The bases do appear to be HUGE.I fondly remember some of the first screenshots and people arguing if something near the base gate was a little rock or a person.

Captain1nsaneo
2012-02-14, 09:21 PM
I am worried by these screen shots.

Worried that the places where these turrets may be deployed at are fixed.

One of my chief loves in Planetside is the freedom that was evident through out the game. I sincerely hope that we may be able to place these turrets wherever space allows.

DayOne
2012-02-14, 09:26 PM

HOLY CARP! That is quite the walk way. These bases are going to be HUGE!

I am worried by these screen shots.

Worried that the places where these turrets may be deployed at are fixed.

One of my chief loves in Planetside is the freedom that was evident through out the game. I sincerely hope that we may be able to place these turrets wherever space allows.

These are probably the base turrets. I imagine the engineers turrets are smaller. :(

Captain1nsaneo
2012-02-14, 09:33 PM
These are probably the base turrets. I imagine the engineers turrets are smaller. :(

I have reason to think that these actually are engineer turrets. The design of their bases is one factor but a larger one for me is that their feet don't sit right. In the AV turret's picture we can see two of its feet are both hovering in the air somewhat off the edge of the platform. This indicates to me that they are deployables.

DayOne
2012-02-14, 09:39 PM
I have reason to think that these actually are engineer turrets. The design of their bases is one factor but a larger one for me is that their feet don't sit right. In the AV turret's picture we can see two of its feet are both hovering in the air somewhat off the edge of the platform. This indicates to me that they are deployables.

Well I hope you're right.

Also with the mention of building small bases in the future something of this size popping out of no where is a definite possibility. They provide the flat, turret sized areas and we provide the turrets.

Atuday
2012-02-14, 10:43 PM
I am left wondering what kind of rate of fire we can expect to see on the missile turret. I would love to be able to simply hot pod the entire thing so all the missiles are like the shot of a really big shotgun.

Tehroth
2012-02-14, 11:14 PM
Wow looks very nice. I can't wait to shoot down some air ships with that badboy.

nomotog
2012-02-14, 11:40 PM
Anyone else notice that they are all twin liked and think that we might be able to mix and match barrels? Like AI on the left and AV on the right.

I sure hope that these turrets and engineer built.

Livefire
2012-02-15, 12:54 AM
By the way please make these awesome looking turrets super hard to kill with regenerative shields and really good DPS (like they where suppose to have in PS1) and the hardest armor there can be, we all know its generally only a matter of time of the bases falling to enemy hands when the weakass turrets are destroyed being they are the main defense of a base. Again as a engineer and a big fan of base fights they should have to throw there whole armies at the turrets with over whelming fire power and numbers to kill them or a total stealth/special forces attack with in to take the base just like we had to do to beat the BFR's which sucked cause no mobile weapon should be that strong, but the bases and there defenses should be. Engineers would be so crucial in base defense, then having to keep the turrets up so the AI/soldier can control them in order to give the base a better chance. Engineers would take there job very seriously and be very proud of the things they create like bases/base defenses. I also would like to see radar operated SAM sites integrated into the bases which like the turrets the engineers could build and mod, as well as modifiable software like the aegis system that operates are ship defenses in the navy to control them. Enemy aircraft should never be able to fly over or even near a fully operational enemy base no matter how high he is unless its a suicide run. It should be a major deal trying to overtake futuristic base defenses with triple over lapping fire and varying range defense systems.
This is what the base phalanx turrets should be like. The land variant of the Phalanx CIWS, the Counter Rocket, Artillery, and Mortar (C-RAM)
This would be for short and medium range base defense from any threat air or ground.
Basrah Cob Counter Rocket Fire - YouTube
This would be like the missile variant turret to specialise in ground vehicle kills, like a ground based laser guided/radar lockon hellfire missile.
Raytheon - Phalanx Close-In Weapon System (CIWS) &amp; SeaRAM Anti-Ship Missile Defense System [480p] - YouTube
This would be for Medium/long range/high altitude base defense system against all aircraft/cruise missiles and anything air incoming except stealth aircraft/missiles, A medium size missile for medium range (AARAM Type) and a large size for long range (Patriot Like).
Raytheon - Patriot Air And Missile Defense System (PAC-3) Simulation [480p] - YouTube

Tatwi
2012-02-15, 01:52 AM
I love manning and repairing turrets... a lot more now! These look great!

Sirisian
2012-02-15, 02:06 AM
Need more perspectives of the turrets. I had an idea, but I can't get the right look (http://sirisian.com/pictures/mehperspective.png) with those pictures without redrawing them by hand. Maybe later if I have more time. Was just about to turn off my computer when someone in IRC got me thinking about the AV rockets.

Speaking of that I hope the AV rockets arc when they are fired. That would look sweet.

Yeah. That image and a few others make me think they're utilizing imposters (http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch21.html) to render all the players this time. Or it looks that way for most of the far away units in the game.

AncientVanu
2012-02-15, 02:59 AM
That AV tower with its 20 rockets/missiles looks a bit intimidating. I wonder how many vehicles can it destroy with one salvo.

Atheosim
2012-02-15, 03:02 AM
ALL OF THEM.

FastAndFree
2012-02-15, 03:55 AM
I absolutely love that rocket turret

KALU
2012-02-15, 04:17 AM
Looking very nice!

Tamas
2012-02-15, 04:30 AM
Love them!!!

I have a thing for AA so it's the best, but the vehicle turret is sick as well!

Justaman
2012-02-15, 05:02 AM
I like how the turkey icon is now dead. :D

Must have gotten to close to an air-vehicle intake.

Also, is it just me, or is there a person far off to the left in the first screen shot, up on the wall? Fuzzy object/imagination? Or person!

Tikuto
2012-02-15, 05:11 AM
wtb real-life home-defence AI Turret like that one.

:: "Get off my lawwwn, paperboy!"

Redshift
2012-02-15, 05:31 AM
I like all 3 of those, they all look beasty

NewSith
2012-02-15, 05:36 AM
Man a woman!

The turrets look great, though for some reason I think they are Empire Specific, and those are NC.

Canaris
2012-02-15, 08:02 AM
Man a turret Battlestar Galactica Ragnar Battle Music Video (Ascension) - YouTube

Coveringfire
2012-02-15, 09:05 AM
Enemy aircraft should never be able to fly over or even near a fully operational enemy base no matter how high he is unless its a suicide run. It should be a major deal trying to overtake futuristic base defenses with triple over lapping fire and varying range defense systems.

That might have sounded brilliant in your head, but sadly it is a very bad idea in practice. What would be the point of having aircraft in Planetside if you couldn't get anywhere near an enemy base without it being destroyed.

It would ruin any sort of strategy as you would be forced to do 100% ground attacks. It would just turn into a zerg v zerg with whoever had enough units on the ground winning...

But back to the main topic, these turrets look awesome!

Hamma
2012-02-15, 09:32 AM

Wow nice catch! That is crazy :lol:

You are all fancy now :)

EZShot
2012-02-15, 09:38 AM
It would just turn into a zerg v zerg with whoever had enough units on the ground winning...

Gives you a nice secondary objective though, take the turrets out first if you wanna have any chance of landing a hot-drop. I kinda agree though, it would detract from the game.

But back to the main topic, these turrets look awesome!

They look amazing! :D Can't wait to have a little nose around the base after beta/launch.

basti
2012-02-15, 10:45 AM

Noooooh, dude, listen.

Vanu is Art. You know that, because you did the scythe. NC is just blerg, a bunch of scrap metal welded together.
Every true Artist is a Vanu. And so shall you. ;)

Evil Redrum
2012-02-15, 11:07 AM
Noooooh, dude, listen.

Vanu is Art. You know that, because you did the scythe. NC is just blerg, a bunch of scrap metal welded together.
Every true Artist is a Vanu. And so shall you. ;)

Haha I suppose you are right there ;) I'm just a sucker for the color blue.

You are all fancy now :)
Thanks!

Canaris
2012-02-15, 11:16 AM
Haha I suppose you are right there ;) I'm just a sucker for the color blue.

Thanks!

:trrocks:
damn traitor, you're going on THE LIST... :ncsucks::vssucks:

Rivenshield
2012-02-15, 11:46 AM
I hope to God they're a bit sturdier than the old kind. Any turret that actually starts up and *fires* is traditionally dead in a handful of seconds, along with the guy gunning it and the guy(s) trying to fix it. It was like stranding yourself in a light armored vehicle that (a) was in plain sight of EVERYBODY, and (b) couldn't move. And after awhile not a lot of people bothered to do anything but jump in, rattle off a burst as a temporary distraction, and jump out again.

They better armor those suckers heavily.

ringring
2012-02-15, 11:50 AM
I hope to God they're a bit sturdier than the old kind. Any turret that actually starts up and *fires* is traditionally dead in a handful of seconds, along with the guy gunning it and the guy(s) trying to fix it. It was like stranding yourself in a light armored vehicle that (a) was in plain sight of EVERYBODY, and (b) couldn't move. And after awhile not a lot of people bothered to do anything but jump in, rattle off a burst as a temporary distraction, and jump out again.

And yet armour them too heavily and a base becomes difficult to attack .... to my mind the critical factor is the balance between attack and defence of bases. To hard or it takes too long and there is no sense of the battle moving forward, which is not fun.
It's a question I've asked before, how difficult is it to 'take' a base?

Evil Redrum
2012-02-15, 11:53 AM
Bring it on!

BigBossMonkey
2012-02-15, 12:09 PM
Bring it on!

It saddens me to know that as much as I love all the developers working on PS2... I have to kill most of them for being traitorous scum.

Geist
2012-02-15, 12:15 PM
It saddens me to know that as much as I love all the developers working on PS2... I have to kill most of them for being traitorous scum.

A sad but necessary truth. It must be all that NC and VS propaganda on the PS2 site. Since they developed it, they agree with it. :p

Loyalty Until Death:trrocks:

Shogun
2012-02-15, 12:38 PM
did you notice that almost everybody loves the turrets?
no war going on here like on almost every other screenshots ;-)

and we even managed to draw in another dev!
welcome at psu! feel free to drop some lines whenever you like!
and prepare to laugh at everyone in the office who is not yet registered here ;-)
we want all of you!

redrum, your work rocks!
planetside 2 will look totally awesome!!

NewSith
2012-02-15, 01:38 PM

You have Smed, that's by default an unfair advantage...

Chaff
2012-02-15, 02:44 PM
The fact that it seems everyone likes/loves the new turrets (wall) says a lot. This is a tough community that rarely approaches, much less reaches, a full consensus on anything.

I love em. I also hope they're far sturdier than the wall turrets on PS1 bases. They were pretty much paper mache.

Perhaps the way resources play into PS2 strategy will afffect base assault strategy. If PS2 decides to have far sturdier & deadlier turrets....then maybe we have to fight elsewhere first......where key resources are....and take those over....before we can effectively assault the bigger (stronger ?) bases of PS2.

Dunno. People here dyin' to find out. I do hope ENGies build/place base and field turrets. And, I hope they're very very stout. That would seem to force MORE teamwork and cooperation to suppress, overcome, and destroy them.

I'm excited for NEW forms of warfare and different/new game dynamics. I just hope that teamwork and cooperation are still front-and-center on a more dynamic and intense Auraxian world.

Evil Redrum
2012-02-15, 03:48 PM
did you notice that almost everybody loves the turrets?
no war going on here like on almost every other screenshots ;-)

and we even managed to draw in another dev!
welcome at psu! feel free to drop some lines whenever you like!
and prepare to laugh at everyone in the office who is not yet registered here ;-)
we want all of you!

redrum, your work rocks!
planetside 2 will look totally awesome!!

Thanks :D I'm glad I could bring everyone together in a time of war haha. Seriously though it does mean a lot hearing what you guys have to say, good or bad about my and other peoples art.

nomotog
2012-02-15, 04:27 PM
No one has asked, but are these turrets common pool or do they belong to a side?

ThGlump
2012-02-15, 04:58 PM
You can see NS mark on AV turret. They will be probably all common pool. ES turrets would fit more to each empire style, so none of them are.

SniperSteve
2012-02-15, 05:13 PM
Perhaps ES specific upgrades, though.

nomotog
2012-02-15, 05:32 PM
Perhaps ES specific upgrades, though.

Lets hope.

Livefire
2012-02-15, 07:02 PM
The fact that it seems everyone likes/loves the new turrets (wall) says a lot. This is a tough community that rarely approaches, much less reaches, a full consensus on anything.

I love em. I also hope they're far sturdier than the wall turrets on PS1 bases. They were pretty much paper mache.

Perhaps the way resources play into PS2 strategy will afffect base assault strategy. If PS2 decides to have far sturdier & deadlier turrets....then maybe we have to fight elsewhere first......where key resources are....and take those over....before we can effectively assault the bigger (stronger ?) bases of PS2.

Dunno. People here dyin' to find out. I do hope ENGies build/place base and field turrets. And, I hope they're very very stout. That would seem to force MORE teamwork and cooperation to suppress, overcome, and destroy them.

I'm excited for NEW forms of warfare and different/new game dynamics. I just hope that teamwork and cooperation are still front-and-center on a more dynamic and intense Auraxian world.

Exactly what I would like to see, It should not be impossible to capture a base if you have the right army/numbers/equipment to do it but it should be damn hard! With lots of different advanced defense systems that should always make it a major undertaking requiring vast numbers of coordinated attacks and cooperation, which is what this game should ultimately be all about. This will also make base battles feel different and new and more exciting rather then just mindless zerging.

Raka Maru
2012-02-15, 07:08 PM
A well defended base should realistically need 3 to 1 attackers when completely CE'd and every gun manned. This will require some thought out strategy and teamwork.

TheBladeRoden
2012-02-15, 07:17 PM
I nominate Evil Redrum to redesign the Liberator! (because I have that authority)

CutterJohn
2012-02-15, 08:51 PM
And yet armour them too heavily and a base becomes difficult to attack .... to my mind the critical factor is the balance between attack and defence of bases. To hard or it takes too long and there is no sense of the battle moving forward, which is not fun.
It's a question I've asked before, how difficult is it to 'take' a base?

Ideally they'd have been retractable, so they could pop up, take some shots, then pop back down behind cover. Far more balanced/balanceable since they can't shoot when ducked down.

Raka Maru
2012-02-15, 09:01 PM
Bases SHOULD be well defended and dam hard to take with equal forces. Well dug in troops should have the advantage like a castle siege.

Open terrain can go with the 1:1 ratio, but bases 3:1.

Hamma
2012-02-15, 09:01 PM
By the way these are called "Turrents"

Raka Maru
2012-02-15, 09:06 PM

HAHA :D

Wonder if the AA deturrent can fire off the entire 20x salvo.

Pillow
2012-02-15, 09:29 PM
Verry nice! :thumbsup:

Traak
2012-02-15, 11:30 PM
Hm. Wonder if the AA has trajectory for balance. As in not line-of-sight. If sniper rifles have trajectory, not line of sight, then I would not be surprised if EVERYTHING not energy-weapon-related was the same.

Good if it is. I love AA, and AA that is powerful because it is boosted to make up for the fact that it droops and takes skill to fire is all that much more exciting to play with.

Gimme them wiggly trails of bright AA tracers in the sky a la Bofors twin 40mm cannons of WWII naval battles any day!

Canaris
2012-02-16, 04:41 AM
You have Smed, that's by default an unfair advantage...

Smed is NC,

We have that scholar and a gentleman Bill Yeats but he doesn't come around here enough :(

ringring
2012-02-16, 05:56 AM
A well defended base should realistically need 3 to 1 attackers when completely CE'd and every gun manned. This will require some thought out strategy and teamwork.

Precisely.

But, it doesn't always work out that way if the built defences are strong enough. - Grand Siege of Malta Knights of St John vs Ottomans was 6k vs 48k and the Ottomans lost.

But I hope the PS2 base defence / attack victory ratio is about what you said.

Mordicant
2012-02-16, 10:41 AM

Have you been talking to my 3yr old?

NewSith
2012-02-16, 10:52 AM

As in theparrotbay.org?

Hamma
2012-02-16, 01:12 PM
:lol:

People always called them "turrents" in Tribes.. I have no idea why.

Raymac
2012-02-16, 03:23 PM

I'd really love to hear your thoughts on the name change from Dyson to Scythe?

Raka Maru
2012-02-16, 09:40 PM
Precisely.

But, it doesn't always work out that way if the built defences are strong enough. - Grand Siege of Malta Knights of St John vs Ottomans was 6k vs 48k and the Ottomans lost.

But I hope the PS2 base defence / attack victory ratio is about what you said.

Yes, that's the point. Well dug in, elite troops should be able to hold base against overwhelming odds. Imagine the war stories to be made here. :D

OTOH crappy defenses will get steamrolled into regularly by elite aggressors. So think carefully before you enlist in some random outfits.

Evil Redrum
2012-02-16, 10:52 PM
I'd really love to hear your thoughts on the name change from Dyson to Scythe?

I like/d both names really, although I have taken more of a liking to the Scythe now. This is probably super nerdy of me but so be it haha, the Scythe reminds me of the Pokemon Scyther which was one of my favorite Pokemon back in the day. :lol: What about you?

Graywolves
2012-02-16, 10:59 PM
I like/d both names really, although I have taken more of a liking to the Scythe now. This is probably super nerdy of me but so be it haha, the Scythe reminds me of the Pokemon Scyther which was one of my favorite Pokemon back in the day. :lol: What about you?

Omg I loved Scyther

Raymac
2012-02-16, 11:02 PM

I liked the idea behind the name Dyson, but it literally took 60 seconds for people to start photoshopping vacuum images. So it needed to be changed.

I definitely dig the name "Scythe" and I liked it before I even got to see it. Then after seeing it, the name fit even more beautifully. Elegant but deadly.

The only thing that will make it look better is seeing it in my crosshairs. :groovy:

DayOne
2012-02-16, 11:04 PM
The only thing that will make it look better is seeing it in my crosshairs. :groovy:

You mean near your crosshairs.

Hmr85
2012-02-16, 11:13 PM
You mean near your crosshairs.

No, no, no, he means watching it explode into tiny little pieces and knowing with great satisfaction that there is one less VS scum he will have to deal with.

Graywolves
2012-02-16, 11:15 PM
I don't like a VS flyer being named "Scythe" because the Dark Skyes (TR outfit) mascot is the Reaper.

Raymac
2012-02-16, 11:21 PM
I don't like a VS flyer being named "Scythe" because the Dark Skyes (TR outfit) mascot is the Reaper.

Don't fear it.

Graywolves
2012-02-16, 11:30 PM
Don't fear it.

Like the seasons? But what about the winds or the summer rain?

Raymac
2012-02-16, 11:33 PM
Like the seasons? But what about the winds or the summer rain?

Yes. We can be like they are.

Livefire
2012-02-17, 12:20 AM
Bases SHOULD be well defended and dam hard to take with equal forces. Well dug in troops should have the advantage like a castle siege.

Open terrain can go with the 1:1 ratio, but bases 3:1.

Totally agree with those numbers, there should also be a stealthy way to take the base or at least weaken it with special forces but this should happen rarely and be EXTREMELY difficult. Like ghost hacking only way harder and needing more coordination and team work with others, like a special forces ghost team attack or something.

Coveringfire
2012-02-17, 03:04 AM
Totally agree with those numbers, there should also be a stealthy way to take the base or at least weaken it with special forces but this should happen rarely and be EXTREMELY difficult. Like ghost hacking only way harder and needing more coordination and team work with others, like a special forces ghost team attack or something.

Special forces are usually flown into a battle-zone, and yet you have said before that aircraft shouldn't be able to get close to a base without being shot down soo.. How do the special forces get in?

I personally don't think you should need 3 times as many people attacking as the defenders have in order to win, because that promotes mindless zerging which is no fun for anybody. Yes give the defenders some AI help to give them an advantage, but at the end of the day, this game is about skill and teamwork, so the outcome should be decided by who has the better players, not who has the most...

Livefire
2012-02-17, 03:59 AM
Special forces are usually flown into a battle-zone, and yet you have said before that aircraft shouldn't be able to get close to a base without being shot down soo.. How do the special forces get in?

I personally don't think you should need 3 times as many people attacking as the defenders have in order to win, because that promotes mindless zerging which is no fun for anybody. Yes give the defenders some AI help to give them an advantage, but at the end of the day, this game is about skill and teamwork, so the outcome should be decided by who has the better players, not who has the most...

Special forces are not always flown in over enemy held territory, or if they are they are flown in stealth aircraft such as are new secret stealth blackhawk helicopters shown on cnn when one went down in Pakistan. And as I said stealth aircraft should be able to get over a base just fine. But other wise yes a regular aircraft should get shot down long before it gets over a well defended enemy base. If they use a conventional aircraft they would get inserted just out side its defenses and have to hump there way in. Or just do a ground insertion from the beginning like with assault buggies or quads, something small that can slip by unnoticed and maybe stay off radar.

What we are trying to say is you should have both, better skilled players and more of them to take a well defended base. Not just a couple smart players or just a zerg, but BOTH or you don't stand a chance. Unless you use those few smart players in the fashion I noted above. And I totally agree this game should be about skill and team work.

AncientVanu
2012-02-17, 04:16 AM
Haha I kind of feel obligated for VS because the Scythe was the first thing that I did for this game so I have a bit of love for that side.

Where's the worship smilie???

Evil Redrum
2012-02-17, 08:28 AM
Where's the worship smilie???

:vsrocks: this guy?

AncientVanu
2012-02-17, 09:06 AM
more like this one: http://i40.tinypic.com/m3bkl.png

Love its design, hopefully you guys have made it perform just as well as it looks.

Evil Redrum
2012-02-17, 09:09 AM
more like this one: http://i40.tinypic.com/m3bkl.png

Love its design, hopefully you guys have made it perform just as well as it looks.

haha I see what you did there :D

AncientVanu
2012-02-17, 09:22 AM
I was being lazy :D

FastAndFree
2012-02-17, 10:17 AM
Yes. We can be like they are.
I'm not gonna be together with you in eternity...

Am I the only one who thinks while the name Scythe is epic enough, it's not very VS? (Then again there is the Tresher)

I still want an Eclipse in the game, anything. Because it sounds awesome

Raka Maru
2012-02-17, 08:44 PM
I'm not gonna be together with you in eternity...

Am I the only one who thinks while the name Scythe is epic enough, it's not very VS? (Then again there is the Tresher)

I still want an Eclipse in the game, anything. Because it sounds awesome

Doesn't matter what you call it, if it flies and is purple or blue, I will be shooting it down with that new turret! :D

RedKnights
2012-02-19, 11:25 PM
Whoa, how did I miss this screenie for so long, that looks kickass, a lot more inspired than the PS1 base turrets, yet still looks like it belongs in the universe... I think it's because those look like the lightning's old cannons...

Thanks :D I'm glad I could bring everyone together in a time of war haha. Seriously though it does mean a lot hearing what you guys have to say, good or bad about my and other peoples art.

Dude, honestly as soon as I started seeing models of things I stopped worrying about the art direction, you guys know what we want, and a lot of things we didn't know we did... (Scythe & VS Armour! :D)