"New Recruit Trainer"

I want that class!

MgFalcon
2012-02-18, 04:56 PM
*Spoiler alert!*

Contains no Beta access code! :lol:

Chinchy
I dunno I don't see anything but the first page of the article I kinda wanted to read it so to me its a troll.

ikon
Removed by request

Sirisian
Epic? Thanks.

//edit: "Can the studio that created Everquest pull it off?" You mean the studio that made Planetside 1?
http://sirisian.com/pictures/kidding.png

Chinchy
2012-02-18, 04:59 PM
there we go -1 troll

(Da fuuu 666v666v666 they used devils magic in the making of this game)

bjorntju1
2012-02-18, 05:02 PM
Awesome, going to read it soon!

FastAndFree
2012-02-18, 05:09 PM
That "liberator attack gunship" on page 3 is clearly a galaxy >_>

xSquirtle
2012-02-18, 05:11 PM
I'm digging that NC on the front page.

NivexQ
2012-02-18, 05:23 PM
So can you confirm if this comes in a sealed plastic cover or not?

NewSith
2012-02-18, 05:26 PM
Thing that caught my Eye:

C4 attachable to vehicles
Mine Guard
Cloakers invisible while moving

sylphaen
2012-02-18, 05:30 PM
Great read, thanks.

Did they really confirm that suicide-bombing C4-strapped quads is in, though ?

That would definitely make me cry of sadness and pain. It was annoying already in BF...

Atheosim
2012-02-18, 05:30 PM
This is kickass.

NewSith
2012-02-18, 05:32 PM
Great read, thanks.

That would definitely make me cry of sadness and pain. It was annoying already in BF...

It's not gonna be THAT annoying actually. Quad driver is totaly unprotected to any arms fire compared to BF3 suicide driver. And there's no other fast-moving vehicle to fit the role.

ThGlump
2012-02-18, 05:36 PM
Energy based weapons have highest recoil? really?

Vash02
2012-02-18, 05:39 PM
Great read, thanks.

You could always ask for a vehicle customisation mod that triggers nearby C4.

sylphaen
2012-02-18, 05:46 PM

They explained it was to balance the no-bullet-drop from energy weapons.

You could always ask for a vehicle customisation mod that triggers nearby C4.

Oh... Now that's an idea i like.
:D

FastAndFree
2012-02-18, 05:48 PM
"a satellite system that lets us have stars and space stations"

urban ruins and wrecked freeways on Esamir

cloakers not sending packets to players who shouldn't be able to detect them

ThGlump
2012-02-18, 05:49 PM
Wasnt it formerly damage degradation on distance to compensate for no bullet drop?

Btw they mentioned 3 continents. So no only one continent at start?

Saintlycow
2012-02-18, 05:54 PM
it called the galaxy a liberator

Zulthus
I hope they don't actually mean C4, this game takes place in the future. At least make it a futuristic looking explosive!

Also, balancing no bullet drop with tons of recoil isn't the answer. Energy wouldn't recoil as much as a bullet. Damage degradation at range makes sense though.

Warborn
"a satellite system that lets us have stars and space stations"

Incidentally, this is the naval combat people should have been pining for. Space stuff. Space stations, battleships, starfighters, boarding actions, and all that good stuff.

DOUBLEXBAUGH
2012-02-18, 06:03 PM
I hope they don't actually mean C4, this game takes place in the future. At least make it a futuristic looking explosive!

They are most likely refering to boomers, but the average person who never played PS1 wouldn't know what a boomer exactly is, so they call it C4 in the article.

They have said since Fan Faire that there would be multiple conts at launch. We have seen at least 2 in screen shots.

Knightwyvern
2012-02-18, 06:05 PM
Wasnt it formerly damage degradation on distance to compensate for no bullet drop?

I'm pretty sure most weapons (I.E. pretty much everything that doesn't have an explosive attached to it) will have degrading damage over range.

I'm guessing that yes there is more than one at launch.

DayOne
2012-02-18, 06:06 PM
666Vs666Vs666.

And we have the figures!

ThGlump
2012-02-18, 06:09 PM
Important word: POTENTIALLY. I expect thats the max forgelight or servers can handle, but can be lower for actual game if its too much or case some problems

Sirisian
2012-02-18, 06:09 PM
Energy wouldn't recoil as much as a bullet.
:confused: This is secret sci-fi vanu technology. How do you know such things? :lol:

Also I love the strapping C4 to vehicles. Planes are gonna be fun. :) I love that kind of strategy.

I could rack up an easy kill at medium range by stamping mouse 1 with my New Conglomerate Gauss Rifle, but after about 2 seconds my ironsights would hiccups 45 degrees and I'd be completely off-target.
Not a fan that they added this mechanic in. I won't go into depth since I have before, but this is a move in the wrong direction for skilled gaming.

DayOne
2012-02-18, 06:12 PM
Important word: POTENTIALLY. I expect thats the max forgelight or servers can handle, but can be lower for actual game if its too much or case some problems

Good point, but it gives us a good idea of what SOE are aiming to achieve.

Insanekanifer
2012-02-18, 06:19 PM
I want to point out one thing, if you read the picture about vehicle customization. The beam cannon is still used by the secondary gunner... leading me to believe the secondary guns for the tanks will be just as powerful, if not more powerful then the main gun.

DayOne
2012-02-18, 06:21 PM
Looks like Vanu will be nice and accurate too. This I like :D

FastAndFree
2012-02-18, 06:28 PM
I want to point out one thing, if you read the picture about vehicle customization. The beam cannon is still used by the secondary gunner... leading me to believe the secondary guns for the tanks will be just as powerful, if not more powerful then the main gun.

The devs said from the beginning that "secondary guns are no joke"

Insanekanifer
2012-02-18, 06:33 PM
I know, it just gives a "real" example in my head :3 After reading all the doomsday threads about tank drivers :P

Warborn
2012-02-18, 06:34 PM

No reason to believe it's going to be more powerful, but certainly they seem like they'll be really useful this time and not something you would want to do without.

ThGlump
2012-02-18, 06:37 PM

They said also that if you spend cert you operate big gun. Then make secondary even bigger (for your certs)? They wont do that. Its against that why they make this in the first place. So theyll be powerful but not more that main gun.

SniperSteve
2012-02-18, 06:41 PM
This game looks too good to be true... >.<

ThGlump
2012-02-18, 06:46 PM
Btw he describe game as very alpha stage, very crude atm, projecting it to 2013. So there goes our hopes for beta in next 2 months. That keys was for future use and not we will benefit in near future.

DayOne
2012-02-18, 06:52 PM
Btw he describe game as very alpha stage, very crude atm, projecting it to 2013. So there goes our hopes for beta in next 2 months. That keys was for future use and not we will benefit in near future.

2013 RELEASE! Not beta. Because of the scale of PS2 they need a LOT of REAL players to be playing to help with balance/bugs etc.

A long beta is a good beta!

SniperSteve
2012-02-18, 06:55 PM
2013 RELEASE! Not beta. Because of the scale of PS2 they need a LOT of REAL players to be playing to help with balance/bugs etc.

A long beta is a good beta!

Yeah, he was saying something like they need like a few thousand man hours of testing for just small areas. I wonder if they will have some store options in at mid-beta that will be carried over to live so they can get some money flowing in.

DayOne
2012-02-18, 07:01 PM
Yeah, he was saying something like they need like a few thousand man hours of testing for just small areas. I wonder if they will have some store options in at mid-beta that will be carried over to live so they can get some money flowing in.

Probably for and to test any camos that may be purchasable. I suppose they could just open the cash shop and make everything free though. That would make balancing the more expensive items easier and stop all the fuss about items carrying over.

SniperSteve
2012-02-18, 07:08 PM
Probably for and to test any camos that may be purchasable. I suppose they could just open the cash shop and make everything free though. That would make balancing the more expensive items easier and stop all the fuss about items carrying over.

Things like camo would probably not need to be balanced, so that could probably carry over. XP might need to be reset, so the XP boosts (if there are any) would probably be available only at launch. They can always do a point-refund when the game starts too. I don't think any players would have an issue with that, as long as they gave the player points equal to the highest point value that the item reached, that way everything seems fair...

Ragefighter
2012-02-18, 08:03 PM

Assuming they stick with station cash as their currency, I have done beta in Eq and Eq2 recently and they gave your beta account 999,999 station cash to test items out(it would reset to 999,999 after buying items). Would assume this would happen in this beta also.

also in the eq2 beta pretty much everything was in the store and usable (save for stuff like server transfer items and stuff)
so if they put in items that enhance xp i would have to think they should be tested to see if they are too powerful or not strong enough.

just figured I would throw in some recent SOE beta experiences, it could very well be different but I figured it will most likely be the same style.

Warborn
2012-02-18, 08:09 PM

It's just some guy from PC Gamer speculating based on his impressions after playing it for an hour or whatever. I wouldn't lend it too much weight. If they weren't planning on starting a public beta within the next month or two, why did they choose the April 2012 issue of PC Gamer as the one to include a beta key?

nomotog
2012-02-18, 08:22 PM
I think that the VS weapons are low recoil and that the little graphic is just unclear. High recoil could mean high recoil reduction. Notice how it says that VS weapons have high burst and high sustained fire.

Sifer2
2012-02-18, 08:22 PM
Pretty cool. The 666 figure means a full continent is just shy of 2000 players. Only needs 2 more. Guess those 2 slots will be for GM's. Not quite as grand as I thought when they said thousands. But I guess it will be once there are lots of continents that full of people.

Vanu being balanced by recoil sounds odd to me. Shouldn't that be NC? With Vanu having lower rate of fire. I guess its better that damage degradation over distance cause that's too much a handicap. But yeah if your guns main draw is accuracy but it jumps all over the place that sounds ineffective. Maybe it will just vary for different weapons.

Xaine
2012-02-18, 08:29 PM
666 per Empire is still fucking massive. Like, really massive. If you get all 2000 people in one area that battle is going to last weeks.

Assuming there are 33 people in ES Fighters in one area, per faction. (Which with 666 people is a low figure, if anything) thats 99 planes fighting it out. Thats just ES fighters.

Slightly conerned about the C4 on Quads. Seen some dumb shit on other games with that, but we'll see.

Give me BETA, give me it now.

Johari
2012-02-18, 08:30 PM
Just skimmed over the article right now and that part that gets my jollies off is the whole head line about a Canadian infantry unit. Seems hilariously out of place for some reason. Maybe once I read the entire article it'll fall into place.

Edit: Makes sense now. Good read that should drum up some good hype from what I'm seeing just from these forums.

Shade Millith
2012-02-18, 08:31 PM
Not a fan that they added this mechanic in. I won't go into depth since I have before, but this is a move in the wrong direction for skilled gaming.

As apposed the COF bloom that goes on behind the supposed 'iron sights' in games like BF?

I wholeheartedly disagree. The random number generator that is the COF is far less skill based, and more based around luck. Having to manually aim the weapons recoil, however, requires far more control.

KALU
2012-02-18, 09:40 PM
This looks great! Im personaly going to wait to get my issue before I read it.

Fantastic publicity for the game, this is going to be epic guys!

Very very excited!!!!!!

pcgevan
2012-02-18, 10:02 PM
Hey guys,

Respectfully—could you remove links to scans of our content? We put weeks of time into writing, editing, researching, designing, and crafting these stories. Your enthusiasm about the game is awesome; I share it! But please respect the effort that went into putting PlanetSide 2 on our cover, and our right to distribute our own content. Thank you.

Evan Lahti
Senior Editor, PC Gamer
[email protected]

Lonehunter
2012-02-18, 11:21 PM
I love the Mohawk of spikes on one of those helmets, few other exciting details in ther

RavenUSC3
2012-02-18, 11:38 PM
Hey guys,

Respectfully—could you remove links to scans of our content? We put weeks of time into writing, editing, researching, designing, and crafting these stories. Your enthusiasm about the game is awesome; I share it! But please respect the effort that went into putting PlanetSide 2 on our cover, and our right to distribute our own content. Thank you.

Evan Lahti
Senior Editor, PC Gamer
[email protected]

I'm sure they'll get it removed shortly, but to be honest, I don't think anyone here who reads the article will not still buy the issue of the magazine. We all want that beta key and that's the best thing you could have done was put that in there. That being said it is a great article and should build some much needed and wanted hype for the game. I do understand needing to pull it down, but I'll still be out after the 28th to pick up a copy.

As far as the 2013 thing goes, he may be right for the release of the game, but I don't neccessarily think that affects our expectations of a beta in the near future. I remember the original Planetside beta didn't last that long, and that was probably a mistake as there were many things still being fixed well after the release. In fact Planetside probably lost many subscribers early due to the fact that it still felt like a beta into 2004.

Magpie
2012-02-19, 12:25 AM
Nice Looks like one lucky got notting to worry about thanks for sharing the magazine :) UK player

captainbaka
2012-02-19, 12:25 AM
Hey guys,

Evan Lahti
Senior Editor, PC Gamer
[email protected]

Very well said. I think everybody got really excited and forgot that it is a copyrighted magazine. I think everybody will still buy the mag for the code, but it still isnt really fair to just be sending the scans all over the internets.

Magpie
2012-02-19, 12:41 AM
Hey guys,

Evan Lahti
Senior Editor, PC Gamer
[email protected]

I understand where your coming from and it's only fair unlink the link as its the law but as a uk player I will be unable to buy a copy, I'm sure people are still gonna buy a copy it's the code they want plus geeks love collecting

cellinaire
2012-02-19, 12:55 AM
How are you guys so sure about this 666v666v666 figure? Is this the max player count Forgelight is able to offer? How can I know.
But as I see it, I think that's more of an assumption. Notice the word 'potentially' at the beginning of that sentence. I'm betting that ElaTi still doesn't know the EXACT NUMBER (which means, the real figure can either be higher or smaller)

And don't worry. Even in the worst case scenario, the total pop-cap must be over 999.

(last but not least, this game is looking damn beatiful <3 )

Livefire
2012-02-19, 01:54 AM

Ya that makes no sense. We need to get on them about that it should have the least, there is no gas involved. How ever they mentioned specifically that they are going for a starcraft/eve online/arma/tribes which are all scifi simulator type games in fact the producer of EVE online calls it a scifi simulator so its decided and GOOD JOB SOE I am very proud of you for that! This is the best news of this article. Sucks about the talk of it not coming out tell 2013 but as long as I get my beta test in the next couple months I will be fine, Need to upgrade my computer anyways. They will need to beta test this game for dam near a year to get it right, like the article says this is a Manhattan projects of a game.

Sirisian
2012-02-19, 02:07 AM
I wholeheartedly disagree. The random number generator that is the COF is far less skill based, and more based around luck. Having to manually aim the weapons recoil, however, requires far more control.
I'm not sure I understand. The whole point of a COF system is to simulate varying accuracy. The skill is in controlling the COF bloom. With a reticule system that jumps up the recoil is trivially negated making weapons identical. I along with a lot of people play using very high mouse sensitivities so slight movements totally negate any offsets a RNG can put to the reticule. The COF system basically removes that and gives each weapon very specific base accuracies and accuracy modifiers for moving, crouching, looking down sights, jumping, and generally burst firing for further ranges.

Can you explain more about why having the reticule jump up is a good system? If you think it takes skill to move one's cursor down or back onto a target I have a really hard time buying that. :confused:

(Then again this has been discussed previously and the COF system was pretty much unanimously decided to be better since it models a lot more weapon variables).

DviddLeff
2012-02-19, 03:40 AM
I have one major complaint about the article.

Its NC themed *spits*

But yeah great article, I'll get one of my outfit to pick me up a copy from the states just for the code...

Crazyduckling
2012-02-19, 04:47 AM
Hey guys,

Evan Lahti
Senior Editor, PC Gamer
[email protected]

although i have already read the article, i will still be buying it once it becomes available. please keep up the good work and coverage for PS2. we really appreciate it!

Erendil
2012-02-19, 05:40 AM

I'm pretty sure it means they get a value rating of "High," not that the recoil itself is high. I would really like to get some sort of confirmation on that, though.

Yes, that is what this Empire Briefing on the VS (http://www.planetside2.com/news/nov22empirebriefVS) states, and it implies that only Vanu weapons would experience degradation over distance:

The Beamer is extremely accurate and produces little to no recoil. All V.S. weapons benefit from the lack of a concussive round. The draw back to having this high accuracy is the degradation of potency over distance. While conventional weapons have bullet drop, V.S. weapons suffer from a reduction in power over distance traveled.

However, thie PC Gamer article Higby is quoted saying that " do lose damage over time." So I'm guessing that it's just a lot worse on VS weapons, like it is in PS1.

Also, balancing no bullet drop with tons of recoil isn't the answer. Energy wouldn't recoil as much as a bullet. Damage degradation at range makes sense though.

Agreed, degradation on energy-based weapons makes far more sense than giving them terrible recoil. High school physics FTW. :D

I think the High/Medium/Low stats are values that signify quality/desirability ratings. To make it a little more clear, let's replace the color codes with grades A/B/C (I added degradation as well based on what we know):

[B]VS
Accuracy = A
Recoil (Burst Fire) = A
Recoil (Sustained/continuous fire) = A
Rate of Fire = B
Damage Per Shot = B
Damage over Range (Degradation) = C

TR
Accuracy = B
Recoil (Burst Fire) = A
Recoil (Sustained/continuous fire) = C
Rate of Fire = A
Damage Per Shot = C
Damage over Range (Degradation) = B

NC
Accuracy = B
Recoil (Burst Fire) = C
Recoil (Sustained/continuous fire) = A
Rate of Fire = C
Damage Per Shot = A
Damage over Range (Degradation) - B

--------

That said, here's 2 more things I found rather interesting:

Esamir is a cont filled with frozen, arctic urban ruins.
Snipers can't fire while cloaked.

SuperMorto
2012-02-19, 05:52 AM
This is an amazing read, and it has me sooooo stoked about Planetside 2, I almost feel like I have some direct controlled on the way the game is unfolding. Like they are listening to what we ask from them.

This is new for the gaming industry.

Also:

Check some of that info out! FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

333 Scythes incoming!!!!!!!

http://www.planetside-universe.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=311&stc=1&d=1329652279

But honestly i cant wait. this game is turning out to be everything I want in a game. just tell me there is rain and im sure I will wet myself right here where I sit.

Loving it SOE! and well done PCG!

sylphaen
2012-02-19, 05:55 AM
Snipers can't fire while cloaked.

It does not matter too much. They still have initiative when they shoot first.

Two ideas:
- I can see snipers get behind someone at point-blank range and "snipe" a OSOK headshot.
OR
- from behind melee range, shoot once (I assume 70% HP damage) followed by an instant quick-knife slash to finish someone.

Boomers might still be best to cloak around and blow people up but weapon switching in PS1 was slow and setting up the boomer took some time (1-2 seconds).

In behing so hung up about speeding up the game, I'm wondering if they still kept the balance from weapon switch time.

Trolltaxi
2012-02-19, 06:22 AM
PS2's Alpha and Beta stages may not be that far away from each other like in other titles or genres.

Alpha state means something that the engine is ready, most of the key features work, there is some content that can be used for testing. But it usually takes a lot of time to add content.

PS2 being a sandbox-like game SOE doesn't need too much time to add content for the beta or the gold. They will need time to add more continents, maybe new bases, new scenes (like orbital warfare), new weapons, new veichles, new skills and mechanics (like jacking) even, but they can make it even after the release.

So I still hope beta is close and release isn't too far away either.

Tikuto
2012-02-19, 06:39 AM
Holy shit that stuff's neurotic destruction. I'm feeling numb....

stordito
2012-02-19, 06:46 AM
ZOMG...we are going to have space battles on satellites/space stations,higby said :O Was he referring to future expansions?

Planetside 2 : Space Core Combact

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

Kur
2012-02-19, 07:06 AM
Random chancing to hit within the reticle is poor imo, it means those guns that fire more shots will probably do better than those who are aimed, It happened in a game on xbox, think it was one of the call of dutys but it took the skill away and made it so the person spamming shot and hoping for luck did better.

XLynxX
2012-02-19, 07:38 AM
Random chancing to hit within the reticle is poor imo, it means those guns that fire more shots will probably do better than those who are aimed, It happened in a game on xbox, think it was one of the call of dutys but it took the skill away and made it so the person spamming shot and hoping for luck did better.

If you play any modern day FPS you'll know number of bullets in a mag mean little when having to aim down the sights. Games like PS1, Half Life, Quake etc, number of bullets do matter because COF has a limit to it's spread, even if you miss loads of bullets you'll likely to hit at sometime. With Ironsights since the gun (and you're vision therefore) goes all over the place after a set number of shots, it doesn't matter how many bullets you have you'll still miss them all if you just spray and pray.

Ironsights improves FPS games skill wise because of the recoil messing up your line of sight of your opponent. It's why spraying and praying happens very rarely in COD, BF etc, and happens a lot in quake, CS:S (any source game).

Hmr85
2012-02-19, 07:51 AM
Hey guys,

Evan Lahti
Senior Editor, PC Gamer
[email protected]

Can a Mod Please remove the links and the Scans to the article. I don't work for them but I understand their frustration. I think this is great promo for PS2. If we want more of it in the future lets respect their wishes imo.

SniperSteve
2012-02-19, 07:52 AM
Hey guys,

Evan Lahti
Senior Editor, PC Gamer
[email protected]

Can a Mod Please remove the links and the Scans to the article. I don't work for them but I understand their frustration. I think this is great promo for PS2. If we want more of it in the future lets respect their wishes imo.

Yeah, it really should be removed (sadface), and the people that already viewed it go and buy it once it is out.

Kur
2012-02-19, 07:52 AM
I don't mind ironsights, what I dislike it the super impose reticle which gets larger the more you shoot, any shot you take has a chance of landing anywhere inside that reticle/ Which means if you literally spray your shots you have a equal chance of landing every shot on your targets than you do missing entirely. That type of system takes the skill out of the game imo.

bjorntju1
2012-02-19, 08:12 AM
Yeah, it really should be removed (sadface), and the people that already viewed it go and buy it once it is out.

Wish I could :(

Hamma
2012-02-19, 08:15 AM
It has been removed.

DOUBLEXBAUGH
2012-02-19, 08:16 AM

Haven't seen a mod on since this was posted, and I guarantee you Hamma would have removed the links even without them asking.

Edit - and they were removed as I posted

Forsaken One
2012-02-19, 08:20 AM
I really hope CoF plays a much bigger role then it seems like it does atm. the only thing recoil does is make the game super unrealistic and add annoyance to useing the mouse.

and before any people start bullshiting that recoil in a game is realistic keep in mind you are playing a freaking soldier not some farmer who's just picked up a gun for the first time. The muscle mass the person would have by now would auto dampen a lot of the recoil.

also recoil as a whole is a shitty system, forcing more twitch input then should be needed instead of calm, controlled gunplay and shooting.

as for the bullshit of "randomness" recoil is ether forced to jump RANDOMLY or forced to be auto damped out by a script/micro. so BOTH are random and luck, the difference is ones a pain in the ass just to be a pain in the ass(recoil) and the other serves not only the same role of forcing one to control themselves when used right but allows for those who can be calm to win over those who spas and pop Ritalin to win.

LZachariah
2012-02-19, 08:26 AM
Thanks for removing it, Hamma :-) We're ecstatic with PC Gamer's coverage of this game and we want to honor all their hard work. I myself intend to buy something like FIVE copies of this mag to 1. Propagate the hype of Planetside 2 to my future Outfit members, and 2. Distribute beta-keys to my siblings and friends.

Thanks so much for the amazing article, Evan!

~Zachariah

Hmr85
2012-02-19, 08:37 AM
Thanks for removing it, Hamma :-) We're ecstatic with PC Gamer's coverage of this game and we want to honor all their hard work. I myself intend to buy something like FIVE copies of this mag to 1. Propagate the hype of Planetside 2 to my future Outfit members, and 2. Distribute beta-keys to my siblings and friends.

Thanks so much for the amazing article, Evan!

~Zachariah

Very well said Zachariah, I'll be doing the same myself.

LZachariah
2012-02-19, 08:40 AM
:-)

XLynxX
2012-02-19, 08:50 AM
I really hope CoF plays a much bigger role then it seems like it does atm. the only thing recoil does is make the game super unrealistic and add annoyance to useing the mouse.

and before any people start bullshiting that recoil in a game is realistic keep in mind you are playing a freaking soldier not some farmer who's just picked up a gun for the first time. The muscle mass the person would have by now would auto dampen a lot of the recoil.

also recoil as a whole is a shitty system, forcing more twitch input then should be needed instead of calm, controlled gunplay and shooting.

Sorry but that is complete rubbish. Are you telling me that in real life, soldiers just run around spraying and not controlled bursts? Because if, as you said, soldiers have the muscles to dampen a lot of recoil then they wouldn't have burst firing. If you've ever fired a gun or been in a gun club you'd know that statement is completely riduclous. Yes, they may reduce recoil, but it doesn't remove it.

Also, how is hip firing (basically, no ironsights) more realistic? Hip firing is for arena shooters, a game the size and scale of PS2 without ironsights will look silly and make the game a lot less tactical and skillful.

Lastly the idea of ironsights removing calm, controlled gameplay and shooting is again incorrect. I've played COD competitively, and running around like a nutter hoping you're reactions get the best of the enemy is a sure way to die. If you want to survive, you take it slowly, check corners, move around tactically. Something you rarely do in Quake, HL, Planetside 1.

XLynxX
2012-02-19, 08:50 AM
I don't mind ironsights, what I dislike it the super impose reticle which gets larger the more you shoot, any shot you take has a chance of landing anywhere inside that reticle/ Which means if you literally spray your shots you have a equal chance of landing every shot on your targets than you do missing entirely. That type of system takes the skill out of the game imo.

So you're basically against COF and for ironsights? Because everything you said you don't like is a problem with COF and ironsights remove those issues completely haha? :P.

Kur
2012-02-19, 09:07 AM
Yeah I'd prefer Ironsights, I don't know much about the game since I've only just started to get to know about it, but I've played FPSs and (not sure what COF stands for heh) but I had that random chance of hitting rather than where you shoot is what you hit.

Forsaken One
2012-02-19, 09:08 AM
Sorry but that is complete rubbish. Are you telling me that in real life, soldiers just run around spraying and not controlled bursts? Because if, as you said, soldiers have the muscles to dampen a lot of recoil then they wouldn't have burst firing. If you've ever fired a gun or been in a gun club you'd know that statement is completely riduclous. Yes, they may reduce recoil, but it doesn't remove it.

Also, how is hip firing (basically, no ironsights) more realistic? Hip firing is for arena shooters, a game the size and scale of PS2 without ironsights will look silly and make the game a lot less tactical and skillful.

Lastly the idea of ironsights removing calm, controlled gameplay and shooting is again incorrect. I've played COD competitively, and running around like a nutter hoping you're reactions get the best of the enemy is a sure way to die. If you want to survive, you take it slowly, check corners, move around tactically. Something you rarely do in Quake, HL, Planetside 1.

ether you're half asleep or you need to reply after you get a bit more sober. 95% of your post is saying I talked about ironsights (which i said nothing about in my whole post.) and hip firing is more controlled by CoF then by recoil.

putting your gun to your shoulder should also dampen recoil. CoF is added to most ironsights in games as well. (you just see the ironsight and not the CoF thing.)

the fact is CoF factors in recoil while also factoring in many other variables. While recoil itself mainly just makes your gun jump around which is countered by popping Ritalin and being a spas on the mouse.

Grognard
2012-02-19, 09:45 AM
Yeah I'd prefer Ironsights, I don't know much about the game since I've only just started to get to know about it, but I've played FPSs and (not sure what COF stands for heh) but I had that random chance of hitting rather than where you shoot is what you hit.

CoF = Cone of Fire :)

General M
2012-02-19, 09:47 AM
Awww I missed it and I don't live in the US :(

Rarntogo
2012-02-19, 09:48 AM
Comparing real life gunfire to a video game is just silly. There is no comparison. I have alot of guns and none of them has a controller attached or a reticule to aim with. Find someone with an AR-15 or Mac 10 (let alone an M4) and try and fire it on full auto. Or even in short bursts for that matter, and see how accurate you are. It's a game. It's as realistic as it can be and getting better every year. Having a debate on CoF or recoil and the realism of it is frivolous imo.

MgFalcon
2012-02-19, 09:55 AM
Awww I missed it and I don't live in the US :(

From the main thread in regards to ordering the Magazine if you're not living in the US: http://www.planetside-universe.com/forums/showpost.php?p=638113&postcount=530

Tigersmith
2012-02-19, 10:10 AM
As I said before im gonna pick some copys up for you guys here. I can prob send them out to people too.

XLynxX
2012-02-19, 10:19 AM
ether you're half asleep or you need to reply after you get a bit more sober. 95% of your post is saying I talked about ironsights (which i said nothing about in my whole post.) and hip firing is more controlled by CoF then by recoil.

putting your gun to your shoulder should also dampen recoil. CoF is added to most ironsights in games as well. (you just see the ironsight and not the CoF thing.)

the fact is CoF factors in recoil while also factoring in many other variables. While recoil itself mainly just makes your gun jump around which is countered by popping Ritalin and being a spas on the mouse.

I obviously read your post wrong so I do apologise for that. Just you're point on COF over recoil flagged in my brain about iron sights, as with ironsights you don't notice the COF as much due to the recoil effecting your aim.

I would say those that fighting against recoil is not simply how reactive your hands are to the movements of the gun. It does require your reactions to be sharp, but it also requires you to pick your shots, burst fire or single shots, crouch and using cover, think about distances and that you can't spam during a fight and therefore need to be intelligent when picking your fights. Everything that involves being "skillful" at a modern FPS.

@the person who said about comparing games to real life is firvolous. I would agree that there is ofc many more factors in real life and copying them into a game is very difficult. That doesn't mean we can't aim for it and hope to hit some points. Planetside 2 will never be like real life mass warfare, doesn't mean they can try to make it as realistic as possible though.

Forsaken One
2012-02-19, 11:01 AM
requires you to pick your shots, burst fire or single shots, crouch and using cover, think about distances and that you can't spam during a fight and therefore need to be intelligent when picking your fights. Everything that involves being "skillful" at a modern FPS.

^^CoF in a nutshell.^^ just without the carpal tunnel and Ritalin popping.

also you will note I never really said recoil should be removed. I said that it should be much more CoF>Recoil then it sounded like in the article.

many older games have proven that highly recoil based shooting is highly retarded. you just need to pull the mouse down a lot as you spray. This favors stupidity, Ritalin popping, an advantage to those with high mouse sensitivity like they just came from freaking quake.

I obviously read your post wrong so I do apologise for that.

I get that a lot honestly. Its nice that you're man enough to admit it since many others just spew more stupidity to cover their mistake up so all is forgiven :p

Pillow
2012-02-19, 12:24 PM
Here's how recoil+cof works in BF3 btw : http://symthic.com/?s=bf3&sb=plots

Tikuto
2012-02-19, 12:28 PM
Cannot stop re-reading it! O_

HELP ME!

DirtyBird
2012-02-19, 02:04 PM
Am I really going to have to hibernate for another year?
I'd confidently say that Planetside 2 is a 2013 game on the basis that there is still so much to be done...
Surely not, for some reason I always thought it was a 2012 game. :cry:

Kur
2012-02-19, 03:53 PM
Really a whole year? :(

Bags
2012-02-19, 05:07 PM
I'd go with what the devs say over waht a guy who had an hour of experience with the game.

Sirisian
2012-02-19, 05:36 PM
I'd go with what the devs say over waht a guy who had an hour of experience with the game.
The devs haven't said anything according to the article. 2013 also sounds realistic for a release as I said before judging from the WIP images. Beta might be a few months away though is the point a lot of people are saying. Before 2013 seems reasonable. Also that guy had a hands on experience with the game so he probably got a feeling about their progress.

HoovesMcG
2012-02-19, 05:51 PM
dude where are you guys reading this? I cant find a link anywhere

dachlatte
2012-02-19, 06:03 PM

buy the latest pc gamer US

SuperMorto
2012-02-19, 06:04 PM
2013 is in 11 months.

2/3 months till beta.

6 Months of beta = 2013.

2 Month spare.

Doesn't sound to crazy like that.

HoovesMcG
2012-02-19, 06:09 PM
buy the latest pc gamer US

but its not on the shelves until the 28th? Correct?

Scrima
2012-02-19, 06:11 PM

I don't know how much of it is missing, but it looks like a lot of the article is on the PC Gamer website.

Hamma
2012-02-19, 06:13 PM
None of the new article is up that I am aware of. Evan (PC Gamer) said there will be more details on the website this week though.

soup de jour
2012-02-19, 08:38 PM
Removed

Johari
2012-02-19, 08:45 PM
Here is the article:
Hey guys,

Evan Lahti
Senior Editor, PC Gamer
[email protected]

As much as we all like seeing new stuff, it is kinda a dick move to keep posting the article when they've requested to take it down.

soup de jour
2012-02-19, 08:57 PM
As much as we all like seeing new stuff, it is kinda a dick move to keep posting the article when they've requested to take it down.

Games get noticed and become popular by one of two ways: Advertising and word of mouth(viral or not). Games don't become successful by having to make people pay 5 or 6 dollars for a sliver of information in a magazine from somebody unfamiliar with PS1 who SOE hand picked to write a favorable article about their game.

If the PC gamer editors truly wanted this game to be as big of a success as claimed in their magazine, then they would want to get their article out to the masses ASAP and have it go viral.

Modern game journalism is a joke. Paid reviews are the norm as well as witholding ad placement for high scores.

Vash02
2012-02-19, 09:01 PM
I think soup deserves a ban.

Atheosim
2012-02-19, 09:08 PM
I think soup deserves a ban.

What? He has a perfectly valid point.

Vash02
2012-02-19, 09:17 PM
What? He has a perfectly valid point.

Because
A: He's a complete dick
B: It's illegal
C: He reposted the link after Hamma had taken it down
D: His argument is moronic. (PC Gamer can do whatever they want with their material, soup can swivel on it)
E: this isnt a place to make a stand for whatever BS philosophy he beleives in.

soup de jour
2012-02-19, 09:33 PM
Because
A: He's a complete dick
B: It's illegal
C: He reposted the link after Hamma had taken it down
D: His argument is moronic. (PC Gamer can do whatever they want with their material, soup can swivel on it)
E: this isnt a place to make a stand for whatever BS philosophy he beleives in.

Can you please refrain from personal attacks? I'm very sure that that is against the rules.

One of two things can happen when someone who hasn't heard of Planetside or PC Gamer reads the article. They can say "Wow! This game seems really awesome, I'm going to pick up a copy for a beta key so i can try it out!" and go on to refer it to their friends, or they can decide that the game isn't their cup of tea, and not buy the magazine (there is a good chance they wouldn't have bought it to begin with if they weren't familiar with Planetside or PC Gamer).

DaddyTickles
2012-02-19, 09:37 PM
Whilst I appreciate soup de jour is acting out of a desire to expand the circle of awareness about PS2, the fact is that PSU as publisher are potentially liable for any consequential loss as a result of publishing copyrighted material.

Aurmanite
2012-02-19, 09:39 PM
Can you please refrain from personal attacks? I'm very sure that that is against the rules.

One of two things can happen when someone who hasn't heard of Planetside or PC Gamer reads the article. They can say "Wow! This game seems really awesome, I'm going to pick up a copy for a beta key so i can try it out!" and go on to refer it to their friends, or they can decide that the game isn't their cup of tea, and not buy the magazine (there is a good chance they wouldn't have bought it to begin with if they weren't familiar with Planetside or PC Gamer).

People on this website have heard about Planetside 2.

You're being a fuckwit just for the fun of it.

soup de jour
2012-02-19, 09:51 PM
People on this website have heard about Planetside 2.

One of two things can happen when someone who hasn't heard of Planetside or PC Gamer reads the article

Reading comprehension.

Whilst I appreciate soup de jour is acting out of a desire to expand the circle of awareness about PS2, the fact is that PSU as publisher are potentially liable for any consequential loss as a result of publishing copyrighted material.

Nothing is being published on this website. The images I linked to are on imgur. PSU is not liable for anything. The only thing removing the link would accomplish would be the game getting less exposure.

Knocky
2012-02-19, 09:54 PM
One of two things can happen when someone who hasn't heard of Planetside or PC Gamer reads the article

Reading comprehension.

Nothing is being published on this website. The images I linked to are on imgur. PSU is not liable for anything. The only thing removing the link would accomplish would be the game getting less exposure.

Hamma was asked to remove the links.

If you continue to disregard this request and Hamma does not ban you for doing so, then yes...PSU becomes legally responsible for your continued piracy.

Aurmanite
2012-02-19, 09:55 PM

Reading comprehension.

You're the guy who is purposely posting copyrighted material, after several requests to knock it off, and you're talking to me about reading comprehension?

If you weren't such an idiot, you would have realized I was pointing out the fact that you're being an idiot by posting links to this copyrighted material on a Planetside 2 fansite and justifying it because people need to know about Planetside... your hippy nonsense aside.

Try to be a decent human being and do the right thing. Otherwise deal with the fact that people are pointing out that you are a fuck.

Hamma
2012-02-19, 10:10 PM
Please do not repost the scan of the article.

Hmr85
2012-02-19, 10:18 PM
You're the guy who is purposely posting copyrighted material, after several requests to knock it off, and you're talking to me about reading comprehension?

If you weren't such an idiot, you would have realized I was pointing out the fact that you're being an idiot by posting links to this copyrighted material on a Planetside 2 fansite and justifying it because people need to know about Planetside... your hippy nonsense aside.

Try to be a decent human being and do the right thing. Otherwise deal with the fact that people are pointing out that you are a fuck.

Please do not repost the scan of the article.

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo77/Hmr85/36aa87ab.gif

KALU
2012-02-19, 11:15 PM
Guys I have tried to find it i think it was mentioned but what is the release date of the PC gamer mag featuring Planetside2 and the beta key?

Was it the 28th Feb? or is it out already?

NCLynx
2012-02-19, 11:28 PM
Guys I have tried to find it i think it was mentioned but what is the release date of the PC gamer mag featuring Planetside2 and the beta key?

Was it the 28th Feb? or is it out already?

28th

DirtyBird
2012-02-20, 04:24 AM
2013 means another long year of waiting ending in more voting in those bulltish "Most Anticipated Games of <insert year>" sites. Just goes to show what a croc they are.
I guess it lets a few of the main players further boost their tweet counts by pimping the pointless votes 24/7.

I'm just looking forward to PS2 so much that having someone who has spent time playing it and doing a mini review on it, reckons a 2013 release, its a let down.
If its not a 2013 release then why doesn't someone from SOE deny it or if it is, confirm it.

Hopefully John Smedleys comments will still ring true when he said in regard to beta testing schedule, large scale testing late 2011 or early 2012.
There is still some time left.

JHendy
2012-02-20, 06:32 AM
Incidentally, this is the naval combat people should have been pining for. Space stuff. Space stations, battleships, starfighters, boarding actions, and all that good stuff.

Question is, how do you keep something as remote as space combat from feeling detached from the rest of the game?

This isn't nearly as much of an issue with naval combat. Assuming the oceans are connected to the continents, and aren't separately instanced, naval units could have a palpable effect on the ground war.

Vancha
2012-02-20, 06:33 AM
2013 means another long year of waiting ending in more voting in those bulltish "Most Anticipated Games of <insert year>" sites. Just goes to show what a croc they are.
I guess it lets a few of the main players further boost their tweet counts by pimping the pointless votes 24/7.

I'm just looking forward to PS2 so much that having someone who has spent time playing it and doing a mini review on it, reckons a 2013 release, its a let down.
If its not a 2013 release then why doesn't someone from SOE deny it or if it is, confirm it.

Hopefully John Smedleys comments will still ring true when he said in regard to beta testing schedule, large scale testing late 2011 or early 2012.
There is still some time left.
Well we know Beta starts late feb/early march, in which case a 2013 release would be good. A long beta certainly wouldn't hurt a game that has so much riding on it...

Mod
2012-02-20, 06:39 AM
Well we know Beta starts late feb/early march, in which case a 2013 release would be good. A long beta certainly wouldn't hurt a game that has so much riding on it...

We hope beta starts then, but as has been stated many times, just because a code is being put in a magazine then, that by no means should be read as beta start!

Vancha
2012-02-20, 07:04 AM
We hope beta starts then, but as has been stated many times, just because a code is being put in a magazine then, that by no means should be read as beta start!
I think it sort of should. PCGamer would end up with a lot of angry readers if they bought a magazine for the beta code and couldn't use it for another X months. Not to mention SOE probably wants to put on a show for GDC.

I'd be surprised if beta doesn't start before PCGamer's May issue is...issued.

Hmr85
2012-02-20, 08:50 AM
I think it sort of should. PCGamer would end up with a lot of angry readers if they bought a magazine for the beta code and couldn't use it for another X months. Not to mention SOE probably wants to put on a show for GDC.

I'd be surprised if beta doesn't start before PCGamer's May issue is...issued.

I agree, I also believe SOE is going to want to put on a show. Nothing like showing it off by saying to the crowd. "This is Planetside 2" while they log into a huge 1500 man battle raging on one of the continents. Also, They are going to want to let people play test the game. It helps if you have more than 20 people running around... Just my thoughts.

~HMR85

Shady
2012-02-20, 03:15 PM

Well someone did ask Higby this over Twitter:
@mhigby PC Gamer claims that PS2 isn't ready for a 2012 release.... say this isn't true :(

To which TRay replied:
@MarthKoopa @mhigby what chu talking bout willis?

I admit, it's far from official but at the very least TRay doesn't seem to have any reason to believe that it won't launch in 2012.

Baron
2012-02-20, 09:33 PM
I went through the airport today and picked up a copy (Monday 20-Feb). I actually haven't bought a physical gaming magazine in over 7 years and today I bought TWO copies! So I can give one to a friend.

<3 PS2

NCLynx
2012-02-20, 10:34 PM

To back your post up, (while I can't be 100% sure this is true) someone in a different thread got their key put it in and got a message saying they'd be emailed when Beta was ready.