PDA

View Full Version : Long beta (2013 release?) is win-win.

General M
2012-02-20, 01:01 PM
Obviously, like many others, I was a bit disappointed when I read "somewhere" that it appears PS2 is a 2013 release. However, unless SOE are evil beyond belief, the fact that there is more and more beta release build up can only mean that it is coming soon which leaves us with a long time in beta before release. In my opinion this is a perfect solution for all because:

- We get to play the game.
- Game gets fully tested
- Generates hype for the game
- Can point to "only in beta" if massive grievances come up

The biggest thing here is that (as far as I know) there will be a form of microtransaction system in place and the game is destined to be F2P anyway. This mean that SOE not only aren't losing any money through people playing the free beta and ignoring release, but also should have a fairly nice source of income (presuming the beta is fairly large).

Roll on beta! :groovy: :D

Magpie
2012-02-20, 01:09 PM
I just wanta play.

Mastachief
2012-02-20, 01:11 PM
Depends how they run the beta really.

Could go:

2 to 3 months of 2-3 set playtests per week
1 to 2 months gap to take what they learnt and implement required changes
then full on beta for the remaining 4 months or so

Bags
2012-02-20, 01:13 PM
Guy based 2013 estimation off of an hour of play testing.

dachlatte
2012-02-20, 01:18 PM
just cause teh game might be released in 2013 doesnt mean there is going to be a long beta. why do people always jump to conclusions?

LZachariah
2012-02-20, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I'm not too convinced that this game is a 2013 release based just on Evan's appraisal. Is it possible? Sure. I loved his playtest; he was very thorough and had some fantastic insights. However, he certainly did not "quote" Higby or anyone else saying that it was a 2013 release.

I'm thinking it will be sooner than 2013, but we'll see.

~Zachariah

ThGlump
2012-02-20, 01:20 PM
Let me play for an hour. I want to make my estimation. And then another hour and another...

I never expected ps2 sooner than 2013, and still expect proper beta to start in summer. Few chosen ones will be in before that, but that will be only small scale testing, nothing like 1000+ players per continent.

General M
2012-02-20, 01:26 PM
just cause teh game might be released in 2013 doesnt mean there is going to be a long beta. why do people always jump to conclusions?

You're right, especially considering how so much of this forum is based upon hard evidence and facts.

Garem
2012-02-20, 01:34 PM
If most folks on this forum buy a beta key magazine, and I'm assuming the vast majority will, which kicks off in April, I don't think the PS2 Dev Team will give the players a key to a door that doesn't (mostly) function.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it's safe to say that we'll see a significant portion of the future that is PS2 in April if they're confident enough to give keys away to damned near everybody who just buys a magazine.

Coreldan
2012-02-20, 01:38 PM
It's a tad questionable if they open cash shop while in beta. Most people will refuse to take it as a beta anymore when they pay for it already.

That said, Minecraft is/was a pretty good example of beta that costs, but still.

That said, Evan might have a point. He was referring to primary content lacking, to which I feel refers to the different continents. I'd say there is a reason to why we havnt really seen much in addition to Indar. And handcrafting a few more maps like Indar sure aint no small task.

dachlatte
2012-02-20, 01:49 PM
That said, Minecraft is/was a pretty good example of beta that costs, but still.
you didnt just pay for the beta. you bought the full game for a very good price and in addition got access to the beta.

Graywolves
2012-02-20, 01:54 PM
They have always been saying "When it's ready." I think that 2013 is the worst case scenario if we get in beta and the game is aweful and everything needs to be changed or it has more bugs that an ant colony.

wasdie
2012-02-20, 01:55 PM
A long beta will be good for them. Since the game is F2P they can use all of us for the majority of the big beta testing. That would save them from having to use 3rd parties or bring people in which could cost money.

UnknownDT
2012-02-20, 01:58 PM
I'd be surprised if Beta isn't within the next 2 months. Seems silly to be releasing the information/updates they have recently to only be months away from anything significant in terms of progress.

sylphaen
2012-02-20, 02:03 PM
Still waiting for the VS weapons dominance week...
:(

Xaine
2012-02-20, 02:06 PM

Its hardly jumping.

They wouldn't put up a beta registration form on the website, a way to reedem a code and they certainly wouldn't start sending out fucking beta keys if the BETA wasn't going to happen for another 4 months.

Based on the fact that we haven't seen the Lightning, the MAX suits (properly) or had the VS Weapon week yet - we're not going to see a beta that soon. I think sometime in March, probably mid. They'll announce the date at GDC i reckon.

Graywolves
2012-02-20, 02:13 PM
Everyone would be very angry at SOE if they sent beta-codes and had beta-code redemptions on their site available while beta wasn't within the next month or two.

That's like asking people to forget about your game.

wasdie
2012-02-20, 02:14 PM
Its hardly jumping.

They wouldn't put up a beta registration form on the website, a way to reedem a code and they certainly wouldn't start sending out fucking beta keys if the BETA wasn't going to happen for another 4 months.

Based on the fact that we haven't seen the Lightning, the MAX suits (properly) or had the VS Weapon week yet - we're not going to see a beta that soon. I think sometime in March, probably mid. They'll announce the date at GDC i reckon.

You know... since the game will just be in beta, they could give out that information while we are playing the beta.

It's going to be a closed beta. The marketing department in charge of giving away that information isn't targeting us, it is targeting people who aren't interested in the game right now.

Coreldan
2012-02-20, 02:28 PM
Also, they don't have to have all models in place for example. We can beta test majority of the game even if we wouldnt have a single MAX unit or a Lightning available.

Optionally, they can use placeholders.

Grognard
2012-02-20, 03:00 PM

Based on the fact that we haven't seen the Lightning, the MAX suits (properly) or had the VS Weapon week yet - we're not going to see a beta that soon. I think sometime in March, probably mid. They'll announce the date at GDC I reckon.

In my opinion, this is 100% correct.

stordito
2012-02-20, 05:06 PM
maybe we have not seen some stuff for a reason...some unannounced features?
or they might be not ready yet like you said...
maybe they will start balancing the basic stuff later.

the only thing i'm sure is this: no one release codes without having a beta starting soon.subscribe and be called later (like vets): Sure. i've been called in Tribes Ascent beta 3 months later.
But receiving a code and not being able to log as you receive it: dumb.
it just asks "trade me".
Maybe not the 28th of Feb.but not much further.
I think it will be withing the first half of march,not for everybody tho.

SuperMorto
2012-02-20, 05:19 PM
This is fantastic news for me, I have done a little growing up here on these forums. (not that you would think it haha! STFU!) but I now have a greater respect for SOE. Even if this game is a massive failure and I don't think it will be, I would still love the Devs, as they are quite fucking amazing.

Anyway back to my point, I now understand the meaning of taking your time and doing it right. Although sometimes we don't think it..... the devs do listen and do take advice, they want this game to a fucking massive success as much/if not more than we do!

So I say take your time SOE, Do it right and make us the happiest FPS/PC/MMO community of gamers there is.

Also this gives me a shit load of time to get Planetside 247 and Planetside TV in a sexy state ready to show the world HOW FUCKING FANTASTIC THIS GAME AND THE COMMUNITY IS!

Bring it.

basti
2012-02-20, 05:48 PM
When i read that, i was happy, extremly happy.

They clearly figured out that they need to do proper testing of both the engine (its a new one, thats always a rather difficult thing to make right) and the gameplay.

Mastachief
2012-02-20, 06:34 PM
a certain article i read recently mention that they used max units..... so they must be ready

Xaine
2012-02-20, 06:38 PM
a certain article i read recently mention that they used max units..... so they must be ready

I may have possibly maybe read a similar article, and i remember this.

In said article, the game appeared to be near BETA anyway. Not that we read the same one after all. Its not as if someone posted it on a forum or something.

The red crow flys at midnight. Meet me behind the shed with the goods.

Ragefighter
2012-02-20, 07:23 PM
the station market in this beta is probably going to be like it is in the other SOE betas. free for testing. can't imagine charging money for an item that is probably going to be destroyed several times in beta server resets or at the end when they launch and will wipe the server. unless it is account based or something idk...
I can't see them letting us keep beta toons in live.

wonder if they will have payment plans in place with monthly station cash credits or if it will be 100% f2p.

duomaxwl
2012-02-20, 07:38 PM
I'd be fine with a 2013 release, as long as it's solid and has the best chance of succeeding that it can.

Atheosim
2012-02-20, 07:40 PM
I'm putting my money on a 2015 release.

Saintlycow
2012-02-20, 07:53 PM
want beta

99% sure announcement at GDC

DOUBLEXBAUGH
2012-02-20, 08:57 PM
Still waiting for the VS weapons dominance week...
:(

Should be this week if they continue to follow their biweekly reveals. Normally we get silhouettes on Monday, but I think they had today off.

BorisBlade
2012-02-20, 09:10 PM

I bought the Jump to Conclusions board game and when i got my red stapler the card said it was going to be a long beta.

BorisBlade
2012-02-20, 09:15 PM
Also, they don't have to have all models in place for example. We can beta test majority of the game even if we wouldnt have a single MAX unit or a Lightning available.

Optionally, they can use placeholders.

True to a point, but there will have to be very extensive testing with everythign thats gonna be in release and at full scale. The flow of how players will move cant be determined without actual players. And that flow is what will determine so much in the game. Its gonna take several weeks of testing in that final form just to get some ideas and then more weeks to tweak it and retest til they get the right flow. This isnt like some simplistic call of duty or battlefield multiplayer game where a monkey could design it and make it play as intended without a single play test. Atleast it better not be, thats a major part of what made PS1 so much fun. =)

dachlatte
2012-02-21, 07:12 AM
I bought the Jump to Conclusions board game and when i got my red stapler the card said it was going to be a long beta.

well its official then. 1 year of beta....yay

Knocky
2012-02-21, 07:20 AM

Excuse me, but I believe you have my stapler.

Mutant
2012-02-21, 07:24 AM
Excuse me, but I believe you have my stapler.

No, that is defiantly my red swingline stapler.

FastAndFree
2012-02-21, 07:31 AM
They have always been saying "When it's ready." I think that 2013 is the worst case scenario if we get in beta and the game is aweful and everything needs to be changed or it has more bugs that an ant colony.

Ants aren't true bugs

Graywolves
2012-02-21, 07:35 AM
Ants aren't true bugs

More bugs than you'd find under a rock then :P

Shogun
2012-02-21, 07:58 AM
Ants aren't true bugs

and ants are already confirmed to NOT be in the game at launch.

does this apply for bugs as well? a gamerelease without them... man when was the last time you saw that happen? :groovy:

i´m all for a long beta! if soe needs to make money during beta, to do it, they should open the cash shop early and let the players keep what they bought during beta or give a virtual refund at release.

VioletZero
2012-02-21, 09:33 AM
Your proposal is very expensive though.

Rumblepit
2012-02-21, 10:00 AM
its a estimated timeline, thats all. it all depends on what problems ,and bugs we run into during beta .Testers have to be good communicators. You can be the most awesome bug-finder in the game, but if you can't explain to the team how you found the bug, what the bug is, what should have happened versus what did happen, and what you think is going wrong down in the code, then it can't be fixed! This part is extremely important, so it bears repetition. find a problem, recreate said problem, confirm said problem, check to see if it has been reported,if not then report it. all we can do is be thorough with our testing,and try to get the game ready before 2013

Mastachief
2012-02-21, 10:21 AM
my money is on 2022 just to beat the Duke.

General M
2012-02-21, 10:25 AM
Another point in a fairly long beta is that it should allow for a good base of outfits to be set up for each faction so people have some idea of what an outfit is/can be when the game gets released (this is assuming they have the outfit system in place for beta).

Geist
2012-02-21, 10:47 AM
my money is on 2022 just to beat the Duke.

2023!!!!

Seriously though, I bet we'll get Beta around the GDC, then launch around September, December at the latest.

stordito
2012-02-21, 11:46 AM
btw have u noticed the lack of devs interaction on twitter and forums lately? :rolleyes:

General M
2012-02-21, 11:56 AM
btw have u noticed the lack of devs interaction on twitter and forums lately? :rolleyes:

I don't mind as long as they are working! :domotwak:

UnknownDT
2012-02-21, 01:33 PM
I don't mind as long as they are working! :domotwak:

I'm just hungry for some news :groovy:

xSlideShow
2012-02-21, 01:44 PM
I just wanta play.

/thread

Trihenketops
2012-02-21, 02:31 PM

I'm not sure if it's just because time seems to slow down the longer I wait, but I kind of felt like this was the case too. They have done an absolutely remarkable job getting information out to us over the course of development but that seems to have slowed down just a bit. Again, that could just be my imagination.

But if I had to guess, I would say they're holding off on stuff for now until the Developer's Conference in a couple weeks where they (fingers crossed) have some juicy details for us, possibly a beta announcement.

ThGlump
2012-02-21, 02:54 PM
And now with latest info, we can forget about EU beta or access for europe players into beta. Great.

stordito
2012-02-21, 03:05 PM
I think you can play with an US account or using any US fast proxy.
I'm from EU, nobody will stop me from gettin in!

btw i was just saying that we might be on the verge of a big announcement...
they did a great job in keeping the community up to date, indeed. kudos for that!

General M
2012-02-22, 11:16 AM
Ah well, long beta means fuck all for me now, due to my not being able to play it.

In fact, a 2013 is a fucking large piece of turd. I got excited about this game but I can't see myself keeping an interest until next year without playing. I most likely WILL play it when it comes out, I'm just massively disappointed.

One thing that has REALLY pissed me off is how I think they knew about it all along. They have never once mentioned anything about an EU beta. Nothing. Now either they were just forgetful or they knew about the region lock for a while.

On a side note, I would be right back in if prosieben give a beta, but I'm sure I'm not the only who senses they really won't give a fuck.

Coreldan
2012-02-22, 11:20 AM
I dont think theres any real confirmation about european players not being able to participate in the beta. EU beta may not happen, though.

Has anyone found any ETA when this all takes effect? I understand that if the EU accounts get converted into the Pro7 accounts, we may have a problem with attending beta after that, but we'll see..