PDA

View Full Version : both Equiped Knife & Quik Knife

Yutty
2012-02-24, 11:29 PM
During the weapons podcast they mention they've thought about having both. I like this idea, quick knife for a weak slash while a Equipped knife does more damage and possibly one shot throat slash kill from behind on a light armored person?

Daimond
2012-02-24, 11:42 PM
I dont remember if they mentioned anythign about a peticular armour type. But they did say currently there is only the Quick knife ingame, with the thought of mayby adding a 1 shot knife or both at a later date, but currently only the quick knife is avalable.

But I dont realy care one way or another as never liked the knives in PS1 at all and were worthless, but may change in PS2, only time will tell.

WaryWizard
2012-02-24, 11:43 PM
It would probably have been better to bring this up in the quick knife topic but whatever.

low damage quick knife with a stronger but slower equip knife is ok.

If there is a OSOK knife attack, then there has to be an animation to go with it, and the animation has to last a couple seconds.(otherwise a cloaker with a knife could kill a whole squad in seconds) The insta kill knife animation should only be really viable for someone if the target is separated/alone (such as a sniper).

But I dont realy care one way or another as never liked the knives in PS1 at all and were worthless, but may change in PS2, only time will tell.

Well a knife should not be a decent weapon really. The equip knife should realistically be used in an out of ammo situation. The quick knife in a reloading situation. The only time a knife should be prefered over a gun would be when your sneaking up behind someone, and want to insure a kill(if they add a OSOK attack from behind)

Yutty
2012-02-24, 11:53 PM
yeah they didn't mention a one hit kill on light armored targets but mentioned it might be directional based. But i think it'd be silly to one hit a heavy assault even if its an attack from behind that takes a couple secs.

I usually don't like going past the 1st page so thats why i made this cause i forgot about it. But ya probably coulda went there...o well

Agreed knives in ps1 were useless, hopefully they allow infiltrators to be completely invisible carrying a knife.

Hermes
2012-02-25, 03:12 AM
I like the idea of the equip + separate quick. It implies that the quick knife won't be that powerful, which was my main concern.

Well actually my other concern was that people can run around using knives instead of guns because they are too effective. Maybe make it so you can only move at walking pace while charging up your power stab with the equipped knife (sort of limits it to creepy up kills)

Cosmical
2012-02-25, 07:59 AM
I really think for cloakers they should do a system like Mass Effect. The more weaponry you bring into battle the more hindered you are, and your cloak is less effective. That way you will get a risk reward of infiltrators running in with just knives, knowing theyve got a longer cloak to stay hidden. Whereas a shotgun weilder knows he has 4 seconds to advance close enough to get a shot before it has to recharge.

DaddyTickles
2012-02-25, 08:07 AM
I really think for cloakers they should do a system like Mass Effect. The more weaponry you bring into battle the more hindered you are, and your cloak is less effective. That way you will get a risk reward of infiltrators running in with just knives, knowing theyve got a longer cloak to stay hidden. Whereas a shotgun weilder knows he has 4 seconds to advance close enough to get a shot before it has to recharge.

Do we yet know if this is how cloaks work in PS2? Do they have timers? Or are they on until a weapon is fired, then timer until reactivation?

Cosmical
2012-02-25, 08:22 AM
Do we yet know if this is how cloaks work in PS2? Do they have timers? Or are they on until a weapon is fired, then timer until reactivation?

I refuse to beleive that a cloaker can sit on a hill miles away from a base with a sniper rifle, stay cloaked until he shoots.... and then cloak again once it has recharged.

Theres a reason why cloaking is always given to classes who have to come up close, its because it balances things out, theyre vulnerable and can be discovered and accidentally shot if you know theyre there.

Dare say i might be totally wrong, but i will be impressed to see how it works. They will need some pretty strict counter measures to snipers sitting miles away on these huge maps we have seen. Maybe as simple as a Darklight Scope for other snipers. But when your base is being seiged by an overwhelming force and you can see 20 snipers on the hill. Are you really going to be happy with one cloaked shot then a 2 minute cool down. Or does it make sense to pop out of cover with a 3 second cloak that quickly recharged and take pop shots?