PDA

View Full Version : So what do we have to more than just test in beta?

DviddLeff
2012-02-27, 12:08 PM
Past few interviews have detailed various features that will have to be extensively tested in beta to see if they are right for the game, not simply working.

These include:

Cloakers with shotguns
Cloakers with sniper rifles
Quick knife
Instant kill knives
Base shields
Automatic base turrets
Head shots

A lot of people are panicked over these but the devs have said that they will be extensively tested to see if they work.

DviddLeff
2012-02-27, 12:16 PM
I'm hoping beta dates get announced at GDC.

I can hope right? :P

ShadoViper
2012-02-27, 12:18 PM
Chillax, wait for beta to come out and enjoy being over powered until they fix it ;)

This post is overpowered!

I really do agree though.

Synapses
2012-02-27, 12:27 PM
I'm hoping beta dates get announced at GDC.

I can hope right? :P

I certainly hope so as well, so yes you can have hope. I dont want to be the only sucker =P

UnknownDT
2012-02-27, 12:33 PM
No hoping is beta will start today in about 30 minutes the first wave of invites are sent out. And all of DT got one in the first wave. :D

That's hoping and what I want :groovy:

However I suppose I can wait another week for beta to start...... maybe.

Gandhi
2012-02-27, 12:34 PM
I wonder, who decides if they work?

Lonehunter
2012-02-27, 12:41 PM
I think Cloaking Snipers is pretty much decided

Geist
2012-02-27, 01:37 PM
I think Cloaking Snipers is pretty much decided

It's not decided until I say it's decided. :p

BigBossMonkey
2012-02-27, 02:43 PM
The environment.

They want tons of time all over the continents to find any problems with them.

DOUBLEXBAUGH
2012-02-27, 04:54 PM
My personal opinions.

Cloakers with shotguns - will probably be OP unless its a bad shotgun like the scatter pistol.

Cloakers with sniper rifles - Not full cloak, and uncloak to shoot seems like a good balance to me.

Quick knife - dont mind if its not a one shot kill

Instant kill knives - dont want

Base shields - why is this here? what did I miss that would make this a hot topic?

Automatic base turrets - I see no problem with or without spits, and had no problem with the base turrets auto firing back when attacked, or at large vehicles like in PS1.

Head shots - Don't think they should be osok from regular weapons or you could drop too easy in a HUGE firefight, and only osok from snipers if its actually somewhat of a challenge to do.

Warborn
2012-02-27, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't worry about what you "have to test". The way this tends to work is players, once they get their hands on the game, quickly begin to figure out what works and what doesn't. It doesn't happen overnight, but after a few weeks the general pool of players will evolve in their gameplay as people figure out the stuff that works really well and what doesn't. Happens for every beta, for every game. And it's based on what the playerbase at large discovers works really well (too well?) or what doesn't that they'll get their most useful feedback from.

So if headshots or cloaked shotgun people or whatever are an issue it'll be apparent as the testers discover it and all of a sudden the game is flooded with guys using shotguns while cloaked and headshotting people from a foot away. These things happen naturally though. The thing to keep in mind isn't particular issues so much as trying a variety stuff and playing to win, so as to discern what's too effective and what isn't effective enough.

Magpie
2012-02-27, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't worry about what you "have to test". The way this tends to work is players, once they get their hands on the game, quickly begin to figure out what works and what doesn't. It doesn't happen overnight, but after a few weeks the general pool of players will evolve in their gameplay as people figure out the stuff that works really well and what doesn't. Happens for every beta, for every game. And it's based on what the playerbase at large discovers works really well (too well?) or what doesn't that they'll get their most useful feedback from.

So if headshots or cloaked shotgun people or whatever are an issue it'll be apparent as the testers discover it and all of a sudden the game is flooded with guys using shotguns while cloaked and headshotting people from a foot away. These things happen naturally though. The thing to keep in mind isn't particular issues so much as trying a variety stuff and playing to win, so as to discern what's too effective and what isn't effective enough.

I agree, when I tested bf3 about 2 weeks in all I saw was snipers and ump45
Man that thing was great :)

Mastachief
2012-02-27, 05:28 PM
I cannot say enough how much dis-taste i have for quick knife, osok, one knife shot one kill.

This is planetside not COD, i understand the need to speed up the game play but this is too far.

BigBossMonkey
2012-02-27, 05:33 PM
I cannot say enough how much dis-taste i have for quick knife, osok, one knife shot one kill.

This is planetside not COD, i understand the need to speed up the game play but this is too far.

What if it actually works really well? We need to try it to find out. If it is very broken in large battles, then it will be removed/adjusted.

On a side note: People whining about balance, that is not the biggest issues we need to worry about in Beta, those will be worked out as a side effect of making sure all the core game systems work.

ThGlump
2012-02-27, 06:04 PM
Everyone want to test that what they think is broken or what they dont like, so they can yell in hope that it will be removed (or convince themselves that they cant find anything wrong about it and its all right)

So for my testing list include:
Squad spawning
Driver/gunner (in hope or changing it, or atleast make additional gunner viable)
Aoe ressing/medic grenades
Deployed gals (in hope proving its not enough and we need AMS back)

Boogster
2012-02-27, 06:12 PM
btw, quick-scoping instagibbing cloakers is a horrifying thought... :/

sylphaen
2012-02-27, 06:16 PM
I would like to test... the User Interface and large-scale gameplay mechanics !

Outfit menus, kit management, chat system, maps, territory system, etc...

More than playing with uber unbalanced canons, I want to test if the Planetside experience and epic moments are present.

I really hope PS2 will be a dynamite cocktail of fun and challenges with that MMO "I know those guys" feeling.