PDA

View Full Version : Nanite Systems - Bridge!

CidHighwind
2012-02-29, 12:34 AM
Straight from the mind and computer of the T-rayzilla

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg877/scaled.php?tn=0&server=877&filename=20klz.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Lookin' pretty epic!

@Invictus2010 NS bridge built for the war effort --- T-ray

VioletZero
2012-02-29, 12:36 AM
So wait, can you create your own bridges or something?

If so, that's pretty awesome.

polywomple
2012-02-29, 12:41 AM
wowzers it has a roof, which means bridges are no longer lib bait

cellinaire
2012-02-29, 12:43 AM
So wait, can you create your own bridges or something?

If so, that's pretty awesome.

I understand your enthusiasm, but let's not jump to the conclusion this soon, guys =)

VioletZero
2012-02-29, 12:45 AM
I understand your enthusiasm, but let's not jump to the conclusion this soon, guys =)

I'm not. In fact, it is highly unlikely.

CidHighwind
2012-02-29, 12:45 AM
Also... is that a dude in the center there?! HOLY SCALE REPTILE MAN!

cellinaire
2012-02-29, 12:50 AM

I think he's shooting at the....dolphins

cellinaire
2012-02-29, 12:52 AM

Hmm there seems to be a large hole in the roof to let the sunray in, but considering all PS1 bridges don't have roofs at all... pretty neat

Bags
2012-02-29, 12:58 AM
A damn sight prettier than the ps1 bridges.

Squeegeez
2012-02-29, 01:02 AM
* Flies through the bridge in an upside down reaver, like a badass * :cool:

VanuMAXGuy
2012-02-29, 01:06 AM
Magriders win bridge battles, because no drop on their shots allow them to fire at vang/prows that would hit the roof if they tried to shoot really far, cause they would need to aim upwards to lob shells far enough....

YAY!

DviddLeff
2012-02-29, 01:31 AM
Looks fantastic!

Brusi
2012-02-29, 01:56 AM
Magriders win bridge battles, because no drop on their shots allow them to fire at vang/prows that would hit the roof if they tried to shoot really far, cause they would need to aim upwards to lob shells far enough....

YAY!

and cause they float on water??

Trolltaxi
2012-02-29, 02:14 AM
My 5 years old's first question when seeing this screenshot. It's Wall-E, isn't it? It's Wall-E!!!

SpLiTNuTz
2012-02-29, 05:02 AM

Lol thats part of the bridge :P if you look further down there is another one

ringring
2012-02-29, 05:28 AM
Wow ....
if we get deployable bridges it may may bridge fights fun for once .... and reward organisation, hopefully.

MgFalcon
2012-02-29, 06:18 AM
Re-hosted! (http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/viewer.php?img_id=1906)

Looks great since there's that ceiling now - meaning it'll be harder for air assaults/support!

Trolltaxi
2012-02-29, 06:34 AM

YAY!

If you check the The9 video you'll see that all MBT-s will fire in a rather straight line.

Biscuit
2012-02-29, 06:39 AM
i forsee alot of tunnel running through the bridge with various aircraft.

sylphaen
2012-02-29, 07:01 AM

Ooooooh... That will be awesome.
^^

It will make the difference between boys and men.
:)

Canaris
2012-02-29, 08:13 AM
can't wait to get into some serious battles over that! :drools:

SniperSteve
2012-02-29, 08:20 AM
woah.

CrystalViolet
2012-02-29, 08:21 AM
That thing is huge. Looks to be at least 4X the size of a PS1 bridge, which is a good thing. No more getting run down by your own team mates. Hope I can still creep down the side rail as a cloaker and take out the snipers at the other end.

Forsaken One
2012-02-29, 08:23 AM
If we get to deploy bridges what I want to know is.

How much will it take to blow them up........
And if we do, does it kill everyone on the bridge at the time?

Why do I ask...? Oh no reason *Pushes the hood of a ATV covered with about 50 boomers behind a rock with his foot innocently to hide it.*

:bananasex:

LZachariah
2012-02-29, 08:40 AM
Holy LORD! Look at that tiny guy in the middle! That bridge is GIGANTIC!

O.O

Traak
2012-02-29, 08:44 AM
This is an inside shot of one of the CY center building-to-wall bridges we have seen from outside and from afar, is it not?

Hmr85
2012-02-29, 08:44 AM
Looks much better than the bridges on PS1. Also Infantry will have a fighting chance now being able to advance on them. A big +1 imo. Fantastic job. I'm loving it.

Traak
2012-02-29, 08:45 AM
Hmm there seems to be a large hole in the roof to let the sunray in, but considering all PS1 bridges don't have roofs at all... pretty neat

I think there are dual suns on Auraxis this time around, and that may be the light coming in from the side windows as illuminated by both suns, one on either side.

I wonder if we can deploy Spitfires in it. :D

waldizzo
2012-02-29, 09:24 AM
I'm guessing that the NS reference means that the bridge can be captured and owned by the factions.

Death2All
2012-02-29, 10:15 AM
I don't think Nanite System implies that the bridge is deployable, rather that it's just an example of one of the bridges that we will see in PS2. And as the poster above said, probably contestable territory.

It does look awesome though. Can't tell if the inclusion of the roof is a good or bad thing. Good for ground vehicles trying to get cross. Bad for aircraft trying bomb or pick off vehicles. Never-the-less I think it will make for some interesting fights.

Spoof
2012-02-29, 10:31 AM
I think the added width, pedestrian walkways, and the cover the roof and its supports offer will give bridge battles a whole new dynamic. Thumbs up!

And if you look closely... the roof possibly has a second floor walkway (platforms extending into the interior) with a structure in the distance that could be a stairwell.

Sabrak
2012-02-29, 10:33 AM
Well I hope that the roof of the bridge is some kind of "deployable", since I'll probably play aircav...

Like, you capture the bridge, and then your empire puts ressources on it to spawn protections such as a roof or turrets.

Akemo
2012-02-29, 10:38 AM

You cannot. Mainly because spitfires will not exist in Planetside 2.

Graywolves
2012-02-29, 10:41 AM
I think the bridge appears to be sporting the NC colors.

Perhaps we can capture bridges now and spawn on them?

I highly doubt we would build anything THAT huge unless it was some high resource cost Command ability that let you call down a bridge in different places.

DayOne
2012-02-29, 11:01 AM
You see that bit above the tiny dude? I think that's a second layer! :eek:

Ambush anyone?

Geist
2012-02-29, 11:02 AM
I think the bridge appears to be sporting the NC colors.

Perhaps we can capture bridges now and spawn on them?

I highly doubt we would build anything THAT huge unless it was some high resource cost Command ability that let you call down a bridge in different places.

It's probably a permanent bridge, but something interesting would be if the bridge was destructable. It would have amazing tacticle implications, but it will have to be both difficult to blow and difficult to repair.

To give an example, let's say a faction needs to lay 10 boomers per pillar on X pillars beneath the bridge(let's say there is a walkway underneath). You blow it up, it's gone for 2 hours(self-repairing).

However, unharrassed, a team of engineers can start repairing the bridge, allowing it to be repaired in say 20 or 30 minutes.

And as said above, there being a walkway, that makes it so battles have the potential to be 2 tiered, 1 on top with tanks trying to get accross, and 1 on the walkway underneath trying to destroy(or prevent the destruction of) the bridge.

So many possibilities, but I doubt it would be in at Launch.

Quovatis
2012-02-29, 11:12 AM
Truly massive! The addition of a roof and pillars to hide behind is a big improvement.

Neksar
2012-02-29, 11:30 AM
repaired in say 20 or 30 minutes.

That doesn't sound fun.

Raka Maru
2012-02-29, 11:44 AM
Lol thats part of the bridge :P if you look further down there is another one

No way, that's just some other dude crouching on his watch. I think it's a soldier.

basti
2012-02-29, 11:51 AM
It's probably a permanent bridge, but something interesting would be if the bridge was destructable. It would have amazing tacticle implications, but it will have to be both difficult to blow and difficult to repair.

To give an example, let's say a faction needs to lay 10 boomers per pillar on X pillars beneath the bridge(let's say there is a walkway underneath). You blow it up, it's gone for 2 hours(self-repairing).

However, unharrassed, a team of engineers can start repairing the bridge, allowing it to be repaired in say 20 or 30 minutes.

And as said above, there being a walkway, that makes it so battles have the potential to be 2 tiered, 1 on top with tanks trying to get accross, and 1 on the walkway underneath trying to destroy(or prevent the destruction of) the bridge.

So many possibilities, but I doubt it would be in at Launch.

And suddenly, you wont have bridge battles ever, because all of them get destroyed by random fire sooner or later.

Stop this "destroyable enviroment" nonsense, its less fun than you can even imagine!

Canaris
2012-02-29, 11:54 AM
And suddenly, you wont have bridge battles ever, because all of them get destroyed by random fire sooner or later.

Stop this "destroyable environment" nonsense, its less fun than you can even imagine!

You tell em Basti! :thumbsup:

Also hooray for the size of it, won't get my Lightning or Marauder knocked off the side so easily now by those damned road hogs :D

DayOne
2012-02-29, 11:57 AM

Stop this "destroyable enviroment" nonsense, its less fun than you can even imagine!

Being able to wreck a bridge is a horrible idea, but what about being able to hold back the enemy?

Blow the middle out the bridge! now tanks can't get through!

I promise I'm not saying this because I'm Vanu...;)

Rbstr
2012-02-29, 12:10 PM
Destroyable environment is fine as long as time and effort involved along with the pros and cons of destruction are properly thought out.

Bridges are probably something that shouldn't be destroyed in a whole, perhaps sections or parts that allow limited crossing or more exposure to fire, that can be repaired in fairly short order.

Miir
2012-02-29, 12:35 PM
I'd vote for a section of the bridge being able to be damaged. Not the whole bridge but a section. But static is ok.

They haven't said much about the mission system but I picture it giving missions like defending a bridge or taking it out. Which would be awesome.

Either way bridge battles just got way better! I love it!

Geist
2012-02-29, 12:52 PM
That doesn't sound fun.

Well, think of it this way. Say, after a bridge is destroy, 4 pylons come out to start the slow process of rebuilding the bridge. One or 2 engineers come up and activate a faster rebuild process.

Now, If an empire wanted, they could leave a few people behind enemy lines and defend the pylons that come up, to keep the engineers from activating the faster rebuild time.

But I agree, I'll get rid of the requirement for engineers to stay there. Just activate the thing and get in a Galaxy until the bridge is repaired and you can start rolling tanks again.

NivexQ
2012-02-29, 02:32 PM
I hate to bring up Halo, but it looks alot like the bridges on the "Assault on the Control Room" level

http://hce.halomaps.org/images/users/lg/82DA4846-EC0A-4C0C-AA30012C9871BD5E.JPG

At least it's from the good Halo...

Chaff
2012-02-29, 03:02 PM
The way it looks to be contructed, it might be that a bridge with a lot of enemy traffic on it might be best taken over from-the-top-down. Perhaps a few Gal drops with a good number of guys with AV (who can shot down from openings on the sides and perhaps down thru the roof.

......Engineers ......to lay CE on the upper catwalks and lay out other PS2 deployables ..... HA, Meds, and MA to help assult and take the bridge....from-the-top-down. It might require a significant to major coordinated effort from any number of well-skilled squads.

It looks to me like there are some angular openings in the roof - as well as the upper side stucture(s) .....be they actual catwalks......or just part of the bridge superstructure.

I doubt they're destroyable. I don't care until we're well into playing this damn game. Obviously, there's gonna be a lot of new elements to gameplay. I'm trying not to complain about anything new or that appears different - until I see and interact with it myself firsthand.

The scale and the eye-candy are going to really distract me in this game. I hope I get the "OMG-look-at-THAT !" syndrome out of my system early in Beta.

TOTALLY BITCHIN' BRIDGE !.....based on this small glimse of it.

Talek Krell
2012-02-29, 05:51 PM
Roofs on your walls! Roofs on your bridges! You never let me bomb anyone!!

/huff

That one noob
2012-02-29, 05:53 PM

Heh, just like every Ace Combat game besides Assault Horizon.
Also I wonder if we can block the bridge with a bunch of Sunderers.
Seems like a legit (yet cheap) tactic in stopping invaders.

BigBossMonkey
2012-02-29, 06:00 PM
Heh, just like every Ace Combat game besides Assault Horizon.
Also I wonder if we can block the bridge with a bunch of Sunderers.
Seems like a legit (yet cheap) tactic in stopping invaders.

Wall of Sunderers with AA weapons on it with a line of few Lightnings behind that.

Nothing would get through that clusterfuck of AA

Alduron
2012-02-29, 06:03 PM
Am I crazy, or does it look like the panels above the guy can close the side of the bridge? At first it looked like a catwalk up there, but I noticed some gaps and what look to be pistons. o.O

Biohazard
2012-02-29, 06:06 PM
I hate to bring up Halo, but it looks alot like the bridges on the "Assault on the Control Room" level

http://hce.halomaps.org/images/users/lg/82DA4846-EC0A-4C0C-AA30012C9871BD5E.JPG

At least it's from the good Halo...

I thought so too, which is not to say that this is a bad thing, seeing how in halo the bridge was a BATTLE, not just something to pass on your way to the battle :D. It looks like you could fit two tanks side by side on that, by the way.

on the topic of destructibility, I think it could be fun; especially if the repair mechanic is simmilar to whats in redfaction.
Red Faction Guerrilla: Mod SP Reconstructor First Look - YouTube

Saintlycow
2012-02-29, 06:20 PM
Am I crazy, or does it look like the panels above the guy can close the side of the bridge? At first it looked like a catwalk up there, but I noticed some gaps and what look to be pistons. o.O

It does

Hermes
2012-02-29, 07:00 PM
That picture has me excited. Epic, epic stuff! Can't wait to try bundling some sundy's over one of those bad boys :D

/wowzers-in-my-trousers

cellinaire
2012-03-01, 12:36 AM
I think there are dual suns on Auraxis this time around, and that may be the light coming in from the side windows as illuminated by both suns, one on either side.

That'd be fantastic visually, with the power of Forgelight =)

and Spitfires. lol I'm imagining one hell of a bridge fight!

+ To some of ya guys who keep saying that any real, seasoned pilot won't be afraid of these freakin roofs(I mean, semi-tunnel), bring it on. Ya all will become the sitting ducks when you tries to come into. :lol:

Captain1nsaneo
2012-03-01, 01:04 AM
The sides of the bridge are clearly open, Aircav will still have line of sight to everything on the bridge, libs too now that they have cannons.

Liking the roofs and the catwalks if that is indeed what they are. More options and freedom in gameplay is rarely a bad thing.

Sirisian
2012-03-01, 01:11 AM
The sides of the bridge are clearly open, Aircav will still have line of sight to everything on the bridge, libs too now that they have cannons.
Run along the sides of tanks. Unless your a VS you can use them like a wall probably to block rockets and stray bullets. :lol: Especially since it's obvious from the image they expect a lot of vehicles and/or people to be marching across that bridge.

Rivenshield
2012-03-01, 01:47 AM

If true, it needs to be addressed.

Rivenshield
2012-03-01, 01:48 AM
and Spitfires. lol I'm imagining one hell of a bridge fight!

Spitfires don't exist any more.

FastAndFree
2012-03-01, 02:48 AM
If true, it needs to be addressed.

We alredy saw a short tank battle scene in the video from The9 and no tank shells seemed to have any noticable drop

Geist
2012-03-01, 11:07 AM
We alredy saw a short tank battle scene in the video from The9 and no tank shells seemed to have any noticable drop

Upgraded physics engine FTW. :D

Chaff
2012-03-01, 11:13 AM
I'm gonna miss spitfires

cellinaire
2012-03-01, 10:15 PM
Spitfires don't exist any more.

Oh..... but we still can't be sure whether there will be a substitute for it or not, am I not right? :D

Traak
2012-03-02, 03:32 AM
That's what I gathered. I say "Spitfires" because it is faster than describing the same concept without the name.

But, speaking of Spitfires...

http://www.wingsofglorygallery.com/images/Spitfire_Canvas.jpg

cellinaire
2012-03-02, 04:07 AM
That's what I gathered. I say "Spitfires" because it is faster than describing the same concept without the name.

But, speaking of Spitfires...

http://www.wingsofglorygallery.com/images/Spitfire_Canvas.jpg

and Strikers 1945 ;)

Canaris
2012-03-02, 04:28 AM
Oh..... but we still can't be sure whether there will be a substitute for it or not, am I not right? :D

from what they said on the weapon webcast I gather that engineers were going to get manned gun emplacements they can put down, reinforcing a bridge with rocket and machine gun nests in stages to hold off attacks. The future looking awesome :)

Raka Maru
2012-03-02, 08:28 PM
from what they said on the weapon webcast I gather that engineers were going to get manned gun emplacements they can put down, reinforcing a bridge with rocket and machine gun nests in stages to hold off attacks. The future looking awesome :)

Yep, can't wait to put on my engie tool belt. Hope the sundie can be my truck. :D

Whalenator
2012-03-02, 10:50 PM
SOE has all the intention to create a massive playerbase. With the free-to-play option available, that won't be much of a problem.

I just pray they increase the poplock limits and increase continent sized. A handful of sq km is poppycock. Get better servers, SOE. Not more.

Geist
2012-03-02, 11:39 PM
SOE has all the intention to create a massive playerbase. With the free-to-play option available, that won't be much of a problem.

I just pray they increase the poplock limits and increase continent sized. A handful of sq km is poppycock. Get better servers, SOE. Not more.

Our continents contain dozens of square kilometers of gameplay space

http://www.mpog.com/gamelist.cfm/game/599/feature/6145/PlanetSide-2-The-Hardcore-Interview.html

I don't think continent size will be a problem. ;)

cellinaire
2012-03-02, 11:56 PM
We still don't have any evidence that PS2's continents are actually the same/smaller in actual size compared to PS1's counterparts. And from what I've observed so far, the actual travel time will be longer. Don't you guys worry about it ;)

Canaris
2012-03-03, 02:27 AM
We still don't have any evidence that PS2's continents are actually the same/smaller in actual size compared to PS1's counterparts. And from what I've observed so far, the actual travel time will be longer. Don't you guys worry about it ;)

SOE are very clever tho, the continents are about the same size, they just shrunk everything else to make them feel bigger, ingenius eh! :D

http://www.globaldesignworkshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Design_Architect_big_vs_little_sumo_2.jpg

Zulthus
2012-03-03, 02:18 PM
Looks awesome.

However, they should absolutely not be destructible. There will always be a/many group(s) of griefers, ESPECIALLY in F2P games, that will just run around destroying every bridge they see. Goodbye bridge battles.

Talek Krell
2012-03-03, 04:41 PM
As much as I'd love to see these fall down, people are right. No matter how hard it was there'd just never be any bridges.

DayOne
2012-03-03, 04:45 PM
Hence why I suggested only partial destruction. Just enough to stop vehicles maybe.

I'm not totally behind bridge destruction myself, I think I'll just have faith in the devs if anything should be destructible.

Graywolves
2012-04-18, 07:32 PM
Some people pointed out the bridge in that Prowler tweet we got recently.

Then I remembered how a few times we had some discussions where we said "Oh we don't know if bridges will be around."

And that's when I remembered this little gem.

So I decided to practice my necromancy skills and raise this thread from the dead before anyone tries to make a new one to discuss bridges.

kaffis
2012-04-18, 08:12 PM
And liberators don't have bombs now, anyways, so... I think you mean that Liberators will shoot in through the sides just like Reavers, Mosquitoes, and Scythes.