PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Radar Style

Eyeklops
2012-03-03, 12:06 PM
I haven't heard anything on these topics yet, so I pose these questions to anybody who can answer them, or wants to comment on them. Feel free to spew your opinion or ask your own questions. Questions that rank high on the "important-o-meter" will be added. Confirmed answers to questions will be added as well.

Questions about PS2's radar:

Function:

Will it be a "spotting" radar like BF3, or more automatic like PS1?
Will vehicles show up all the time, or can a Tank sneak up if it's not spotted?
If spotted, how long after contact is lost will an entity show up on radar and will it "track" or only show the last location known?
Is the ps1 mossie equivalent radar coming back? (ringring)
Are Motion Sensors returning?
How will Jammers affect radar?

Enhancements:

Is Audio Amp coming back? Will it work in the same way?
Is the Interlink SOI benefit returning?
Are they adding other new radar buffing/debuffing features?

Form:

Can it be freely resized and moved around the screen, or will it be stuck in one location and inflexible.

P.S. Also feel free to rip on my categorization. Constructive comments welcome.

DviddLeff
2012-03-03, 12:19 PM
One thing I do not want is infantry positions showing up. I do not mind motion sensors or similar flashing if someone is nearby, or locations shown where troops have been spotted, but I do not want to see them moving like you could with the interlink benefit or audio amp.

Its just a way to get cheap kills with minimal risk.

DayOne
2012-03-03, 12:30 PM
I believe you should be able to see where the enemy is if you have eyes on the enemy and possibly some piece of equipment or implant.

Then it should only be broadcast to your squad and an enemy engineer or leader could have a passive jammer that prevents his/her location and the location of anyone nearby being transmitted.

sylphaen
2012-03-03, 12:31 PM
Higby did mention that defense will be favored vs. offense so we may see a come back of the interlink radars. They could add more stuff to circumvent radar detection though.
e.g. sacrificing a module on your rifle to not be on radar, class specific items, destroying base antennas that provide interlink benefits, etc...

@DayOne: good call on the jammer stopping the relay of friendly soldier positions to the enemy radar.

ringring
2012-03-03, 01:03 PM
Well interlinks are coming back so we can presume the interlink benefit is also back.

Other than that I don't think anyone knows as yet.

A further question, is the ps1 mossie equivalent radar coming back?

Knocky
2012-03-03, 01:41 PM
The only things that should show up on RADAR are vehicles.

I believe that they also said that there will be no enemy names hovering over our toons.

Death2All
2012-03-03, 01:43 PM
I hope spotting isn't in the game...

But if it is, so long as it's limited to squad's and not an empire wide thing (I.E. one guy sees you then the entire empire knows where you are).

Actually now that I think of it, PS1 had a pseudo "spotting" mechanic where if you looked a person for a few seconds they would show up on radar regardless of detection.

Spotting is fine in smaller, more instanced games like BF, but in a persistent game like PS2 I'm not sure how well that would translate. And don't even throw the realism card into this, or I will slap you across the face.

Realistic ≠ Fun

RedKnights
2012-03-03, 02:44 PM
I had no problem with the radar mechanic as it existed in PS1, I'd like to see it mostly preserved.

Traak
2012-03-04, 11:59 PM
I hope spotting isn't in the game...

But if it is, so long as it's limited to squad's and not an empire wide thing (I.E. one guy sees you then the entire empire knows where you are).

I agree. This means OS's would be out, because everyone can see an OS marker, which meant it was used for spotting for the empire.

One more reason to NOT have OS's!