PDA

View Full Version : What are we hoping to get from GDC?

Xaine
2012-03-04, 07:15 PM
So it starts in a few hours and i'm wondering what people want to get, but also what they think we'll get.

I'm personally praying for a BETA date (I'm sure i'm not alone) and some info on the cash shop.

What are you lot looking for?

DayOne
2012-03-04, 07:17 PM
Beta date and more info on the mechanics of the game, particularly the resource system.

Death2All
2012-03-04, 07:19 PM
Gameplay.

ACTUAL gameplay, not scripted scenarios or very tiny glimpses of action. Like a good 5 minute gameplay showing of the games mechanics. That's probably asking for too much but that would be amazing if we could see that.

Any additional information we haven't already heard

And beta date of course :wantbeta:

VanuMAXGuy
2012-03-04, 07:25 PM
Vanu MAX

All I care about right now.

Geist
2012-03-04, 07:31 PM
Them announcing the Beta starts March 10th. ;)

Synapses
2012-03-04, 07:33 PM
I want to see more information on MAX suites. We havent gotten anything but concept art right now on them.

I would love to see some more actual gameplay footage.

There is really far too many information topics to list them all.

Rocket launcher mechanics

Grenade launcher mechanics

Sniper mechanics / Scope views

Screenshots/Footage/Images of other continents

Any information on Naval based combat or plans for the future with space and naval warfare.

How base hacking/capturing is going to work in detail.

How far along they are in development, IE 75%? 50%?

A Beta date would be nice but we CLEARLY arnt going to get that since just LAST week they said they had no idea on a date yet.

More information on what vehicles we are going to see aside from the ones we have seen.

Cash shop mechanics and what kind of items we can specifically see IN the cash shop.

Color palets for weapon/gear colors and weapon gear camo.

Aircraft mechanics, IE are we going to see the return of the crappy PS1 flight mechanics where when I turn left it keeps turning until I can manage to stop it or something more like Helicopter/Jet combiniation?

I can continue just listing more and more things I want to see but I will stop for now.

SUBARU
2012-03-04, 07:42 PM

This Please

ShockFC
2012-03-04, 07:45 PM
Vanu MAX

All I care about right now.

Novelty

basti
2012-03-04, 07:49 PM

That would be just super awesome. :>

VioletZero
2012-03-04, 08:00 PM
Optimistically: Beta date

Realistically: MAX images. Heavy Vanu armor. Images of Female armor.

All of which are good quality.

P.S. Do we know if there will be a "Hide Helmet" option or not?

Bags
2012-03-04, 08:07 PM
BETA, actual gameplay, new information.

Tasorin
2012-03-04, 08:10 PM
Higgles spiking his mouse in T-Rays face after a successful NC base cap and yelling "Take that in your alien loving ass, Vanu scum. Now shake your dead ass out of here and get to buying lunch. I will take a double double with extra bacon, CHOP-CHOP!"

Second to that: Beta Target Date, Business Model "F2P" defined, MAX game play, not screen shots.

VioletZero
2012-03-04, 08:12 PM
Higgles spiking his mouse in T-Rays face after a successful NC base cap and yelling "Take that in your alien loving ass, Vanu scum. Now shake your dead ass out of here and get to buying lunch. I will take a double double with extra bacon, CHOP-CHOP!"

Second to that: Beta Target Date, Business Model "F2P" defined, MAX game play, not screen shots.

I'll settle for sceenshots because I want to know what it looks like.

Whalenator
2012-03-04, 08:14 PM
Them telling us all Planetside 2 was a fluke
Fool me once, shame on SOE. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Bush "Fool Me Once..." - YouTube

alienmoose
2012-03-04, 08:29 PM
"At next week’s Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, we’ll be doing a demo presentation that will show off some of the amazing features that Forgelight provides like incredible massive-scale battles in enormous open continents and cutting edge graphics including atmospheric light scattering and highly detailed character and environment shaders."

-Matt Higby

Hamma
2012-03-04, 08:54 PM
Where was that posted?

Synapses
2012-03-04, 08:55 PM
Where was that posted?

I THINK that might have been the MMORPG article. It just sounds familiar.

Hamma
2012-03-04, 08:58 PM
Yep! :D

alienmoose
2012-03-04, 09:10 PM
Yep MMORPG interview. First Q.

http://www.mpog.com/gamelist.cfm/game/599/feature/6145/PlanetSide-2-The-Hardcore-Interview.html

Saintlycow
2012-03-04, 09:24 PM
beda

VioletZero
2012-03-04, 09:31 PM
I doubt they would announce the beta date on such short notice.

Skittles
2012-03-04, 11:34 PM
I'd like to see the inside of a base myself. I want to see how wide the corridors are. How large are the insides in relation to the "bridge" SS we've seen. Potentially a fly-over of a continent, any of the 3 would be fine.

A more detailed time outline as to best guesstimates on time frames for beta, release, that sort of thing. My guess is things are being adjusted because of all the hype w/GW2, but something alittle more concrete would be nice on a wide array of things.

IronMole
2012-03-04, 11:52 PM
I doubt they would announce the beta date on such short notice.

Short notice? Beta keys have already been released. Expectations are high and a beta date announcement would be the norm for such things.

cellinaire
2012-03-04, 11:59 PM
At least a video of how Forgelight can deal with the massive population.

(+ Jungle, thick rainforests, or swampy areas would be so nice, for me )

VanuMAXGuy
2012-03-05, 12:16 AM
"At next week’s Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, we’ll be doing a demo presentation that will show off some of the amazing features that Forgelight provides like incredible massive-scale battles in enormous open continents and cutting edge graphics including atmospheric light scattering and highly detailed character and environment shaders."

-Matt Higby

I have the hugest boner right now.

Geist
2012-03-05, 12:21 AM
Matthew Higby ‏ @mhigby
Stoked about what we have to show at GDC. The @Planetside2 team has done an amazing job and it's time to pull back the curtain.

Curtain being pulled? Reveal Beta? :brow:

Crazyduckling
2012-03-05, 12:43 AM
I've been telling you guys, Higby has been putting secret messages in his icons. Remember BACGDC?

March 10th because it fits with my conspiracy theories (that have no holes in them) and a doc that was on his desktop once.

Just wait. My crazy theories will all make sense soon enough.

Furber
2012-03-05, 12:58 AM
I could go for some cake.... oh and I guess a beta announcement or some gameplay would be cool too

Shade Millith
2012-03-05, 01:02 AM
I want some confirmation on the various things that I'm worried about.

How rezing works.
These 'Rez grenades'
Their F2P model.
The TTK's
How accurate weapons will be.

Beta info would be nice, but secondary for me.

StumpyTheOzzie
2012-03-05, 02:11 AM
I want to see the skill trees and times to train.

I want to know how deep I have to go in Command to get squad spawning and Orbital Strikes.

And how deep I have to go in the eng/medic trees for deployable siege guns and rez grenades.

Therion I
2012-03-05, 04:11 AM
I could go for some cake.... oh and I guess a beta announcement or some gameplay would be cool too

The cake is a lie!

FastAndFree
2012-03-05, 04:13 AM
I want to know if engineers will be able to redline their vehicles :D

I am not expecting anything other than my mind being blown, but I am hoping for some insight into the new flight physics

ringring
2012-03-05, 04:41 AM
Optimistically: Beta date

Realistically: MAX images. Heavy Vanu armor. Images of Female armor.

All of which are good quality.

P.S. Do we know if there will be a "Hide Helmet" option or not?

fnarr fnarr

ringring
2012-03-05, 04:45 AM
I would like to see a movies of their presentation .......

shouldn't be any reason why not, after all if you're showing it to other devs the info would then be 'out in the wilds' show your fams too. :D

AncientVanu
2012-03-05, 05:24 AM
When can we expect the first PS2 footage from GDC? The conference starts today but is the PS2 demo going to be shown on day 1?

Maarvy
2012-03-05, 06:07 AM
Beta date , enough waffel we have keys ..... give us a start date .

SpLiTNuTz
2012-03-05, 06:31 AM
Ive played VS since 2003 but ive also played a little bit of TR and NC so what im hoping for from GDC is a beta date so i can finally decide what race im going play lol.

Hmr85
2012-03-05, 06:43 AM
Well, I am hoping to get information about when Beta will start. :wantbeta:

I would love to see some game footage from PS2. Maybe about 5+ minutes worth. Also any info we could get on skills and resources would be fantastic.

Mod
2012-03-05, 06:46 AM
When can we expect the first PS2 footage from GDC? The conference starts today but is the PS2 demo going to be shown on day 1?

I think Tuesday afternoon was mentioned...

Hydra
2012-03-05, 06:49 AM
I got my beta key,signed up with my old account,dumped my girlfriend and I have quit my job.

Please give me a Beta date. :cry:

Reni
2012-03-05, 06:54 AM
Beta date and more info on the mechanics of the game, particularly the resource system.

^^This. :D

sylphaen
2012-03-05, 06:55 AM
I got my beta key,signed up with my old account,dumped my girlfriend and I have quit my job.

Please give me a Beta date. :cry:

You forgot to sell your soul to Smedley.

Xaine
2012-03-05, 07:38 AM
I've been telling you guys, Higby has been putting secret messages in his icons. Remember BACGDC?

March 10th because it fits with my conspiracy theories (that have no holes in them) and a doc that was on his desktop once.

Just wait. My crazy theories will all make sense soon enough.

I lol'd.

I hope to God you're right though.

Mastachief
2012-03-05, 07:39 AM
Information on region locking and pro7.

Beta date.

Hmr85
2012-03-05, 07:40 AM
Information on region locking and pro7.

Beta date.

I though Smed said they worked it out so everybody could play on whatever server they wanted now.

Mastachief
2012-03-05, 07:45 AM
They said they were working it out, but that was over a week ago and we have had nothing but silence.

If you let it slide they will not do anything.

Hmr85
2012-03-05, 07:49 AM
True, I guess we need a official confirmation to be sure. I would like to see the man Smed himself come here and post it.

Ragotag
2012-03-05, 08:08 AM
So it starts in a few hours and i'm wondering what people want to get, but also what they think we'll get.

I'm personally praying for a BETA date (I'm sure i'm not alone) and some info on the cash shop.

What are you lot looking for?

Aside from maybe a new demo video, I am really hoping to hear a beta date announcement as well.

Crazyduckling
2012-03-05, 10:16 AM
So, I did some searching on the internet about Planetside 2 and GDC. There is only one article that mentions Planetside 2 being at GDC. Keep in mind, it was only mentioned offhandedly.

Searching ' "Planetside 2" GDC ' basically only brings up PSU...with this thread being at the top. It seems no one even knows that SOE is demoing PS2...or anything. I couldn't find anything about SOE making an appearance at GDC this year.

Anyone else see that?

Xaine
2012-03-05, 10:21 AM
I'm not sure how it works specifically, but they're not actually at GCD proper - but they're in the area doing a demo for people. Or something.

Tuesday afternoon is when its going down, says Mr Higby on Twitter. So thats like 26-30 hours of bouncing around my house untill then.

Hamma
2012-03-05, 10:23 AM
It's a media event on Tuesday and they will be doing a demo of the game. They don't have a booth and the event is invite only for Media.

Sabrak
2012-03-05, 10:29 AM
It's a media event on Tuesday and they will be doing a demo of the game. They don't have a booth and the event is invite only for Media.

Any idea of how many Media guys will be there?
I mean, are those GDC media events usually big?

Because I don't think I ever heard of one before (but that might just be me not paying attention until today)

I'd love to see PS2 all over the damn interwebz on wednesday :love:

Hamma
2012-03-05, 10:32 AM
No idea on the number but I'm sure all the major media outlets will be there since they are all in town anyway for GDC.

EVILPIG
2012-03-05, 10:36 AM
No idea on the number but I'm sure all the major media outlets will be there since they are all in town anyway for GDC.

Does PSU have anyone in the area?

UnknownDT
2012-03-05, 10:39 AM
Beta, Beta, Beta, and... oh Beta.

Also if you look at the hidden messages in higbys screenshots. Every screenshot has a lion next to a zebra and lions eat zebras and the zebras are next to the giraffes who are nearby to the bear icon. So if you add that all up Beta is starting this week according to higby.

Hamma
2012-03-05, 10:47 AM
Does PSU have anyone in the area?

We have 2 folks we provided the questions to.. both are going to try and make it but we don't have anything 100% solid sadly.

kubacheski
2012-03-05, 10:51 AM
So what does this really entail?

A big screen for media to see where a handful of development crew are actually playing the game? I say this as Higby tweeted the one pic of a bunch of people in a room aparantly testing and teased about needing help with it. and then the interview about the ForgeLight engine and "massive-scale battles". Sounds like they're going to do a playtest with all the crew at SOE and hook in the guys (who knows how many) at GDC.

If they're actually demo'ing "massive-scale battles" then they're probably pretty darn close to the ability to beta. It may not be with all vehics/armor/weapons ready for prime time, but the few betas I've been involved with only have subsets of material in the very early stages. Some people don't hear about this stage because its usually done in closed betas. Testing mechanics/infrastructure, before balance testing and fine tuning. But who knows, I bet there's enought people at SOE who playtest PS2 to perform what many games do in closed beta.

Just seems it's all coming together and the anticipation's killing me.

I'm hoping beta announcement soon.

Knocky
2012-03-05, 10:54 AM
Beta, Beta, Beta, and... oh Beta.

Also if you look at the hidden messages in higbys screenshots. Every screenshot has a lion next to a zebra and lions eat zebras and the zebras are next to the giraffes who are nearby to the bear icon. So if you add that all up Beta is starting this week according to higby.

No it doesn't. It is simply telling you that just under half of the Blue Lions are already testing PS2. We need to help get our weapons "balanced" before the rest of you show up.

;)

WiteBeam
2012-03-05, 11:10 AM
This will be a big week.

Death2All
2012-03-05, 11:18 AM
This will either be the greatest week ever, dreams will come true, life will have meaning once again....

Or we'll get the generic "We're working on all the internal details of our game and have a long way to go. We're still not sure when we will release beta."

:huh:

UnknownDT
2012-03-05, 11:21 AM
I'd be so disappointed. If they did anything like that they'd lose so much of that 'hype' for beta. It just wouldn't be the same.

Hydra
2012-03-05, 11:22 AM
This will either be the greatest week ever, dreams will come true, life will have meaning once again....

Or we'll get the generic "We're working on all the internal details of our game and have a long way to go. We're still not sure when we will release beta."

:huh:

Remember Huxley? :ugh:

SurgeonX
2012-03-05, 11:29 AM
Some gameplay of a massive battle will do me.
I just want to see the engine running, and wanna make sure it'll do what they say it will, for the numbers they've quoted.
Plus, it'll be great publicity and a great chance to get even more people hooked on PS2.

Hamma
2012-03-05, 11:39 AM
They never mentioned beta so I wouldn't hold your breaths on an announcement of that sort.

Danicia
2012-03-05, 12:17 PM
We have 2 folks we provided the questions to.. both are going to try and make it but we don't have anything 100% solid sadly.

I cannot confirm nor deny that I have brought some faction t-shirts & window clings. Oh wait. I can confirm it. :)

So, any PSU/Reddit side peeps who find us when we're drinking beer will get a t-shirt/Cling combo. :)

UnknownDT
2012-03-05, 12:21 PM
Just have Higby and TRay do at least one kegstand for us.... I could also settle with them shotgun'in a beer or two as well.

Btw it all needs to be filmed ^^^^

Hmr85
2012-03-05, 12:22 PM
I cannot confirm nor deny that I have brought some faction t-shirts & window clings. Oh wait. I can confirm it. :)

So, any PSU/Reddit side peeps who find us when we're drinking beer will get a t-shirt/Cling combo. :)

Ugh, I wished I lived on the west coast. I would so be there for the free beer. *cough I mean shirt yeah. :D

Synapses
2012-03-05, 12:26 PM

UGH Seriously Danicia? Where is our contests for the community to win these? I am dying for some stickers and a Tshirt for NC...

You know what I would give to be there and have a few beers with yall? If I wasent heading to Texas to spend the week with my girl I would be all over there, no matter how big the plane tickets costs were.

EDIT: Oh and maybe those of us sneaky PSU people that show up to have some beers, will get the dev team so drunk they can get some inside information out of them... Like Beta dates, or any number of sweet information... hell maybe trick them in to doing something really crazy. =P

"Hey Matt, you should totally let me try out the beta!" Wasted Matt - "Yeah totally man, lets go! I'll let you try the game, but your driving cause im wasted, I bet you'll LOVE this!" (I had to add in a little smart thinking on the drinking and driving for you there man, NC LOVE!)

WiteBeam
2012-03-05, 12:30 PM
They sure are pumping GDC up. RadarX just said it will be a big week for PS2.

Synapses
2012-03-05, 12:35 PM

Of course its going to be a big week for PS2... development team =P

I bet those that are going to the pub to drink are going to have a BLAST drinking most of the week evenings, while teasing the few fans that do show up about how great the game is and this or that about the game... I know I would =P Rubbing it in faces and stuff. lol.

Hmr85
2012-03-05, 12:45 PM

My guess is that we are finally going to see our first real glimpse of game play that is why. We might even see the MAX's. If we are lucky will get a Beta announcement out of it.

mefy
2012-03-05, 01:09 PM
Dunno if this has been posted but is apparently from GDC....,

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ekso3s.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2cdwyyr.jpg

Johari
2012-03-05, 01:12 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2cdwyyr.jpg

Bumping because isn't the MCG a heavy assault weapon? Looks like a light assault is carrying it to me.

UnknownDT
2012-03-05, 01:14 PM
Oh my god.. this game is so ready to be beta tested... why are they killing us like this! Those pics are pretty bad ass.

And i also notice that a Light Assault has the MCG and it made me laugh.

Hmr85
2012-03-05, 01:19 PM
Let us into the beta. Those pictures are awesome. Also light assault with MCG.:rofl: I agree I thought that was for HA only.

Sinilaid
2012-03-05, 01:31 PM
There will probable be nothing new announced. We will get a "there is still alot to do before beta" or something useless like that

Shogun
2012-03-05, 03:01 PM
AGAIN! screenshots that show potential gamescenes!
now this looks like planetside moments!

somers
2012-03-05, 03:22 PM
Perhaps these are screenshots of the gameplay they are showing?

Hamma
2012-03-05, 03:39 PM
Redirect all discussions on the images here:

http://www.planetside-universe.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39360

Thanks mefy! :D

kubacheski
2012-03-05, 04:14 PM
I don't think they showing vids. Higby tweeted just a lil bit ago about the GDC build. It sounds a lot more like they gonna be in the game itself from GDC.