PDA

View Full Version : Who's in the military

KoldFusion
2002-11-15, 11:51 AM
Hey all,
Just curious, given the nature of the game how many military guys/gals will be playing the game? Post here if you are going to be joining the military, are in the military, or was in the military...... also please state what country, branch, and wether or not your military experience will give a tatical planning edge in PS :)

Wullic
2002-11-15, 12:37 PM
i may be joining the airforce... dont know its something that has been very hard to make a decision on. Since it would be such a huge lifestyle change. :confused:

KoldFusion
2002-11-15, 12:45 PM
Yes it is a big decision.... I'm shipping out on april 8th to the Air Force after I deliberated and researched about it for 2 1/2 years/ It is a life style change but there are sweeping changes throughout the branches in the way of life style. For example: All armed services are going or have gone to a 1+1 for the barracks (all you single people will live in one unless you are an officer) 1+1 means simply that you have your own room with a shared kitchen and bathroom with the room right next door. The Air Force is the farthest along in the endeavor (actually most bases have these). After 1+1 is finished then they will be moving to two room apartments. There are also some significant pay increases coming. I understand you thinking hard about your decision though b/c it is something you need to be prepared for, for the length of your enlistment (in my case 6 years) :) Best of luck to you and thanks to all those who serve and help defend freedom all around the world :)

Mtx
2002-11-15, 12:57 PM
I'm X-Army and that will help me non in this game. The Armies only real tactic is this... sends scouts to paint targets. Then let Artillery, air munitions, and rock throwers do the rest. ;)

Hamma
2002-11-15, 01:24 PM
I too considered service a few times. But only if i got to use computers and be an elite paid haxor.

:p

Mtx
2002-11-15, 01:35 PM
I found the perfect military job for you, Hamma!

Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Operator
MOS-96U ( ninety - six - uniform )

Major Duties- The unmanned aerial vehicle operator supervises or operates the unmanned aerial vehicle to include mission planning, minor air frame repair, launching, remotely piloting, and recovering the aerial vehicle.

Entry Level- Deploys and redeploys the unmanned aerial vehicle system. Moves air vehicle to launch station. Activates the Ground Control Station. Installs and removes mission payloads. Performs pre-flight checks. Launches and recovers the air vehicle. Operates radio equipment. Performs minor air frame repair.

Skill Level 2- Directs emplacement of ground control station. Directs emplacement of launch and recovery systems. Supervises and assists in air frame repair. Coordinates evacuation and replacement of parts and end items.

I want to fly RC planes! :D

Hamma
2002-11-15, 01:42 PM
w00t hahaha, they killed some terrorists with a drone :D

Manitou
2002-11-15, 02:03 PM
I am active duty US Air Force. Have 18 years in, with prior service in the US Army.

I don't see the military as lending any certain tactical advantage for me, but it does help me understand the importance of discipline, honor, integrity, and other basic values that a succesful outfit will require.

The tactical advantages I may have, come from a massive amount of reading in the area of WWII tactics, Korean War, Vietnam, and others. Also, reading Sun Tzu, Vegetius, studying Patton, etc, will help fill in the blanks on successful strategies and what can work in given situations.

The old adage, "Information is power" is very true!

For those of you who are enlisting or have just enlisted, remember, the US military is the most powerful military force on this planet. Be proud of what you do no matter what it is. It is hard sometimes to carry on, but if you remember who you are, it will make it a little easier:
A US military member.

Honor unto you! ;)

ILLOne
2002-11-15, 02:40 PM
like i said in some other post i leave for the air force march 8th, maybe i shoulda waited a bit longer but its 2 late now so off i go at 18 to teh air force : \ oh well wasnt doing nothing really anywayz

Mtx
2002-11-15, 03:57 PM
Well pack your iron. I have some Air Force family and from what I've heard the AF is big on protocol. The good news is physical excersize really doesn't matter in the AF. You'll just have to pass an easy PT test every now and then. I've also heard that you don't have to qualify with an M16A2 because the AF has no ground forces.

So if you are an organized person the AF shouldn't be hard for you. My best friend is AF and he works in the NSA building in Hawaii.

I only went Army because it's my familys pride.

AF = You wake up in the morning, put your uniform on, and check to make sure it's perfect. Get in your car, drive to work, sit at your desk and have your morning coffee and do paperwork.

Army = Get up at 5:30AM so you can be in PT formation at 6:30AM. Either sprint 2 miles or jog 5 (depending on the day) after you have done other warmup excersize. Then go to work and sit at your desk and do paperwork. Later go to the field for a few weeks and sit in the foxhole you dug in the mud.

The same pay either way.

The military needs all the personel it can get but it needs medics and Doctors more than anything else. Everyone can take a life... not many can save it.

Marsman
2002-11-15, 06:59 PM
Ex-Military. I joined the Army Reserve and then tranfered to Air Force National Guard. And Hamma, I joined for computers and got trained on equipment 20 years older than I was using in my high school. :rolleyes: Right idea - wrong decade. :p

Kaikou
2002-11-15, 07:30 PM
Well I personally would join without a second thought if my service was needed....I don't really believe war is the answer to anything besides prooving which side can kill the most people on the other side. I'm no hippie, don't get me wrong, but war just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

MrVicchio
2002-11-15, 09:06 PM
Active Duty Navy here, trying to get picked up by the Army to Fly Helos for em. I will submit my package next June. I get two tries then I will be too old.. :(

KoldFusion
2002-11-16, 12:30 AM
The tactical advantages I may have, come from a massive amount of reading in the area of WWII tactics, Korean War, Vietnam, and others. Also, reading Sun Tzu, Vegetius, studying Patton, etc, will help fill in the blanks on successful strategies and what can work in given situations.

^^ Very nice reading there and I think that will indeed lead to a tatical advantage for you :)

For those of you who are enlisting or have just enlisted, remember, the US military is the most powerful military force on this planet. Be proud of what you do no matter what it is. It is hard sometimes to carry on, but if you remember who you are, it will make it a little easier:

^^ I want to say thank you to all those who have served and are going to serve. Since I have enlisted in the Air Force I can honestly that I will serve my country the best that i can. I have always wanted to do my part for all of you, all of america, and freedom around the globe.

P.S.> Maybe i'll bump into some of you Air Force guys while i'm in :)

Noxx
2002-11-16, 07:49 AM
Navy Dependant.

RG_Vortex
2002-11-16, 12:51 PM
Ex Swedish marine.

http://hem.bredband.net/turnik/dawn.jpg

=S=

TerraxNovae
2002-11-16, 02:58 PM
US Navy here.

Noxx, Get yer own sig, thx ;)