PDA

View Full Version : one thing i did not see

Exmortius
2012-06-17, 07:44 AM
is it still possible to loot bodies of dead enemies? back in the ps1 days you could loot a jackhammer off a NC if you were TR or VS....wasn't sure if they kept this going or if you could even loot ammo off them. i did not see this in beta but figured i'd throw that out there and see if maybe that was something they were still implementing or if that was not going to happen to save resources on the server for the actual action portion of the game. it's not a big thing but something i realized i didn't see in beta vids and wasn't really asked or mentioned that i recall.

Canaris
2012-06-17, 07:46 AM
nope they removed looting due the upgrade/sidegrade gear. You'll just have to make do with your own stuff

Gogita
2012-06-17, 08:05 AM
The complete inventory system of PS1 is not implemented in PS2. Therefore looting is not possible, and so is the ability of using weapons of another empire.

PrISM
2012-06-17, 08:11 AM
This is a step backwards for this game.

Shogun
2012-06-17, 08:14 AM
but i think i heard that the devs are still talking about this. so there is a slight chance that this may be changed later on.

for now we have to use our own guns (and also vehicles! but jacking is also still on the table)

on a sidenote: you didn´t see any beta vids, only alpha! beta is still to come! so eypect a lot of changes to the game.

Gandhi
2012-06-17, 08:20 AM
I hope it makes its way back in, it added some nice variety to the game. Though I'm not sure how much sense it makes with the lower TTK, I guess you won't be able to hang onto that weapon for very long.

Dreamcast
2012-06-17, 08:21 AM

Depends.

I liked the inventory system...even tho people could create some nice OP builds.

Still an inventory with a class system would be cool.

I guess the reason is the faster TTK and all the backpacks to pick up..but idk.

They can put the use button to pick up weapons however...that will work.

Chinchy
2012-06-17, 08:26 AM

Meh won't really miss the looting system playing inventory Tetris. :P

Crator
2012-06-17, 08:27 AM
PS2 Info Thread (http://www.planetside-universe.com/showthread.php?t=37350):

What features have been removed? Inventories(at least as free-form as it is now), sanctuaries, and vehicle entering animations.

Shogun
2012-06-17, 08:31 AM
i want it to return as well, but i also don´t know if it´s really needed or if it really fits into the new gameplay.

beta will show! and there is enough time for feedback and the request to bring this feature back.

oh and i´m not sure if this feature would fit into the class system.

Pride
2012-06-17, 10:49 AM
I know they removed the actual looting of weaponry but I should think that you can still loot ammo from fallen comrades and maybe even fallen foes if the ammo is standardized (I.e all assault rifles use same ammo).

I guess the reason for removing the pickup of weapons is because of the larger focus on Certs etc. Having a friend with a lot of certs unlocked and having him commit suicide for you, so you could have his swag gear would get rid of the whole progression aspect for a lot of players.

Shade Millith
2012-06-17, 11:08 AM
nope they removed looting due the upgrade/sidegrade gear. You'll just have to make do with your own stuff

This is one of the strangest 'reasons' I've heard.

My answer is... So what?

So what if you have an NC's gear as VS until you die?

How could that possibly unbalance the game?

Zulthus
2012-06-17, 11:16 AM
Every person that complains about inventory and uses the term inventory tetris:

http://alekwasframed.com/green_tea/emot-bandwagon.gif

The Kush
2012-06-17, 11:19 AM

This

DarkChiron
2012-06-17, 11:40 AM
I hate to bring this up, because people already complain about it, but you don't loot weapons off others because of the class system. With it in place, you would only be looting guys on opposite factions who are the same class as you (and what's the point at that state?). Unless people want things like LA with sniper rifles, HA with MAX weapons (or make MAXes unlootable?), or Infiltrators with HA weapons. The balance of the game is not built to accommodate such things. I don't even think the ability to pick up ammo off dead enemies is a good idea (and doesn't make sense anyway), but picking up ammo off dead allies might be useful. It's just something to look at in beta, people. Does not restocking ammo off the dead mean that you are not able to fight long enough to be useful in a base capture? Is it too much of a pain in the ass to make sure a base assault has classes with ammo drops or resupply vehicles?

Really I think people need to take a step back and reassess this situation. Is it really critical that you be able to loot items off the dead? Why is it a better system?

Zulthus
2012-06-17, 11:50 AM
^ It's all about variety. In the first game you were simply limited by the space and size of the grids in your inventory, not by certification or class. It was fun not being locked into a class like you will be now, I enjoyed running around in Standard Exo-suit with a Jackhammer. Infiltrators for example could not pick up anything larger than a pistol for their weapon, because it was only a 3x3 grid.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/images/content/inv_agile.jpg

Agile, for example, had two pistol slots and a rifle slot. They could carry whatever weapon they wanted. The old system was about variety and customizing your loadout to your liking, which I completely prefer over the new class based system where you're locked into what you can use.

I'd say keep the classes, but still give yourself an inventory window in which you can customize your ammo capacity/tools/grenades etc, but each class still has a special ability which they can not switch out or use on other classes. It works for both ways. i.e Medics are the only ones that can heal/revive etc, but you can still customize your inventory in a more detailed way than you can in the loadout screen.

Crator
2012-06-17, 11:51 AM
^^^ This please!

Zebasiz
2012-06-17, 12:08 PM
I'd say keep the classes, but still give yourself an inventory window in which you can customize your ammo capacity/tools/grenades etc, but each class still has a special ability which they can not switch out or use on other classes. It works for both ways. i.e Medics are the only ones that can heal/revive etc, but you can still customize your inventory in a more detailed way than you can in the loadout screen.

Here's a question: Are we sure that isn't already in the game? If I recall correctly in one of the videos they mentioned you would be able to customize your loadout, select from a variety of guns etc. Just not to the degree that PS1 had.
So a heavy assault can have medkits if he desires or not and take more ammo. Or more grenades or not. Different guns that fit his category.

Blackwolf
2012-06-17, 12:10 PM
The complete inventory system of PS1 is not implemented in PS2. Therefore looting is not possible, and so is the ability of using weapons of another empire.

And I'm fine with this. Very few people actually used that system for weapons and about the only thing I swiped were medkits (looting ammo did me absolutely no good).

Besides, the sheer variety of weapons and customization available should make up for that regardless.

Crator
2012-06-17, 12:11 PM
^^^ I'm down with that too. The one aspect of that I would like to see brought back from PS1 was the ability to easily change the loadout with a favorites menu.

Zebasiz
2012-06-17, 12:13 PM
^^^ I'm down with that too. The one aspect of that I would like to see brought back from PS1 was the ability to easily change the loadout with a favorites menu.

You're in luck! Each class has its own Favorite menu.

Crator
2012-06-17, 12:14 PM
Excellent!

Winfernal
2012-06-17, 12:21 PM
Atleast make it possible to swap weapons.

DarkChiron
2012-06-17, 12:24 PM
^ It's all about variety. In the first game you were simply limited by the space and size of the grids in your inventory, not by certification or class. It was fun not being locked into a class like you will be now, I enjoyed running around in Standard Exo-suit with a Jackhammer. Infiltrators for example could not pick up anything larger than a pistol for their weapon, because it was only a 3x3 grid.

I think the variety is just different now. You cert into making the class better in different ways. You load out with different weapon assortments (which are all certed to function differently), and the same applies to the vehicles you purchase.

I don't think anyone realizes how much customization the game even has. They all just look at the game not forcing them to micro-manage their items to a ridiculous amount (and honestly, where only a choice few loadouts were really useful) and saying "Oh god the customization is gone!".

Blackwolf
2012-06-17, 12:24 PM
Atleast make it possible to swap weapons.

There are like a hundred different weapons to choose between. Fairly certain your going to have have plenty of options to tinker with. And yes you will have access to swapping weapons.

Serotriptomine
2012-06-17, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't mind using a "taunt-animation" esk action to loot a small number of random res, (doesn't actually steal res from the player)

Then again, I wouldn't care for it either, but that's how that would be implemented if it ever were.

Hamma
2012-06-18, 09:42 AM
Hopefully at some point they will add looting but at this point it's not available yet.

Match
2012-06-18, 09:49 AM
Hopefully at some point they will add looting but at this point it's not available yet.

One can only hope, something I loved about PS was how sometimes I would be forced to scavenge ammo and med packs off enemy and (friendly) corpses.

Nemises
2012-06-18, 10:04 AM
...they've said inventory isn't going to be the same...
...it still may be drop weapon / pickup weapon though, which would be 99% the same as inventory in PS1 without the annoying clicking about.

having said that, I know Higby has mentioned that Lighty's wouldnt be able to lug around AV kit (for eg), so perhaps that's out too..

Methonius
2012-06-18, 10:54 AM

http://www.planetside-universe.com/images/content/inv_agile.jpg

Agile, for example, had two pistol slots and a rifle slot. They could carry whatever weapon they wanted. The old system was about variety and customizing your loadout to your liking, which I completely prefer over the new class based system where you're locked into what you can use.

If they were to do this, they need to make it easy and fast to set it up or i can see ppl that aren't used this mechanic in an FPS not liking it. Maybe add a button next to class selection that says LOADOUT or something and it brings up the inventory box and then all the items next to it that you can put in that are available for your class.