PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how big the download size will be?

Astrok
2012-06-22, 03:37 AM
Wondering how big it will be.
i guess around 3 gb and a total of 8 when its installed on your pc/lappy.

Canaris
2012-06-22, 03:39 AM
about 3 fiddy

Bags
2012-06-22, 03:42 AM
Probably 10 - 15 GB. The average size of your AAA titles now is in that range.

GreatMazinkaise
2012-06-22, 03:44 AM
PS1 is about 3.58 GB, and that's from ten years ago. I think WAR's beta client and files ended up being about 14... I'm quite certain that PS2's beta client will be HUGE...

xnorb
2012-06-22, 03:46 AM
My guess is 8Gb

Bags
2012-06-22, 03:46 AM
PS1 is about 3.58 GB, and that's from ten years ago. I think WAR's beta client and files ended up being about 14... I'm quite certain that PS2's beta client will be HUGE...

True, betas are generally very big filesize wise.

LordReaver
2012-06-22, 03:48 AM
Anywhere from 5 to 25 GB

Bags
2012-06-22, 03:49 AM
Anywhere from 5 to 25 GB

Oh come on, WoW is only 22 GB, I can't imagine PS2 being even larger, at least at launch with 3 continents.

LordReaver
2012-06-22, 03:51 AM
Oh come on, WoW is only 22 GB, I can't imagine PS2 being even larger, at least at launch with 3 continents.
It's also just as unlikely to be 5gb ;)

Bags
2012-06-22, 03:53 AM
It's also just as unlikely to be 5gb ;)

Oh, you know T-Ray's response to that would be "forgelight, baby!" :D

Toppopia
2012-06-22, 04:04 AM
Black Prophecy was 5.6GB or something, i think this might be around 10GB, feel sorry for my brother, will use half his months internet downloading it. lol

zomg
2012-06-22, 04:10 AM
Black Prophecy was 5.6GB or something, i think this might be around 10GB, feel sorry for my brother, will use half his months internet downloading it. lol

I would hate to be on traffic limited internets. I feel sorry for you!

Thankfully here in cold north we have 100/100mbit unlimited. At least something to keep you busy when it's freezing and dark in winter... :lol:

The Secret World beta was 15 GB or so. And graphics-wise the game seems way crappier than PS2... Though PS2 map is probably not as big as all the areas in TSW beta.

Toppopia
2012-06-22, 04:14 AM
I would hate to be on traffic limited internets. I feel sorry for you!

Thankfully here in cold north we have 100/100mbit unlimited. At least something to keep you busy when it's freezing and dark in winter... :lol:

The Secret World beta was 15 GB or so. And graphics-wise the game seems way crappier than PS2... Though PS2 map is probably not as big as all the areas in TSW beta.

New Zealand hasn't caught up to the world in terms of internet, even some middle east countries have better internet than us :eek:

Bags
2012-06-22, 04:20 AM
I have unlimited in Ohio, but a friend of mine in Ohio living to the south east of Columbus gets 2 megabit with a 200gb monthly limit... lol

GreatMazinkaise
2012-06-22, 04:20 AM
New Zealand hasn't caught up to the world in terms of internet, even some middle east countries have better internet than us :eek:

The state of Oceania's internet is a black mark on the world community as a whole.

Toppopia
2012-06-22, 04:21 AM
The state of Oceania's internet is a black mark on the world community as a whole.

But now i am at university, my internet is better and faster than back home, so thats a plus, and i can buy as much as i want, which at home i can't' do that.

lMABl
2012-06-22, 04:23 AM
Hmmmm... My guess is between 1 and 25gb. :D

Sabot
2012-06-22, 04:34 AM
Hmmmm... My guess is between 1 and 25gb. :D

Yeah... you're not getting very good odds on that bet, mate ;)

maddoggg
2012-06-22, 05:08 AM
Probably 10 - 15 GB. The average size of your AAA titles now is in that range.

That's a good guess.
Although i think PS2 might have a lot more content than the average AAA titles so maybe it can be up to 25gb.
However considering that almost everyone have atleast 500gb nowdays,i dont think it would be a problem.

Stew
2012-06-22, 05:17 AM
the beta probably 5 to 8 gig

the full game i expect 15 to 20 gig

Immigrant
2012-06-22, 05:19 AM
Nope, but I doubt it will be under 8-10 gb at release. Anyway I hope that they will make Empire specific versions for us guys who will play 1 empire only... a lot of Empire specific stuff (2/3) can be cut in mono-Empire versions. Like first person view models and textures for all the classes and vehicles, music etc. I believe this could greatly reduce the amount of space required (2-3 gbs is my estimate).

Coreldan
2012-06-22, 05:37 AM
That's a good guess.
Although i think PS2 might have a lot more content than the average AAA titles so maybe it can be up to 25gb.
However considering that almost everyone have atleast 500gb nowdays,i dont think it would be a problem.

The problem is never really the HDD space, it's about the downloading:

Not all households have fast internets. A 1mbit connection is enough for your usual household that doesnt download movies/games/music a lot. It takes a full day to download 15+ gb with such connection :D Other than is the traffic based connections, using half of the months allowed traffic for a single game sorta sucks.

And, then there's a thing specifically about F2P games. Certain F2P companies have reserached the statistics and they show that a game client of 4gb has over 90% success rate in downloads, meaning 90% of the people who start downloading it also finish downloading and play the game. When we go above 8-10 gigabytes, the percentage drops to around 40%.

SurgeonX
2012-06-22, 06:15 AM
I reckon it'll be twice the size from the middle of the file to the end.

UKSwiFT
2012-06-22, 06:19 AM
Probably give or take 10-15GB. There are a lot of high-resolution textures already in the game.

Alanim
2012-06-22, 06:22 AM
they should sell the game installed on a 16gb USB drive for 15 dollars+S&H For those who can't DL it due to bandwidth limits.

*10 dollars for usb, 5 dollars for installing it*

That or have the full installer on it.

RSphil
2012-06-22, 06:27 AM
well Guild wars 2 is about 15 gig i think for beta cant remember. so id say this will be about the same. full game may be about 20 gig as most stuff is that these days

Sledgecrushr
2012-06-22, 06:30 AM
Wasnt the leaked e3 client around 11.5 gb? I think the finished game should be about that size so my guess is 12gb.

Sledgecrushr
2012-06-22, 06:32 AM
they should sell the game installed on a 16gb USB drive for 15 dollars+S&H For those who can't DL it due to bandwidth limits.

*10 dollars for usb, 5 dollars for installing it*

That or have the full installer on it.

This is a great idea here, you can get on SOEs site and order a hard copy of the game.

UKSwiFT
2012-06-22, 06:35 AM
I would buy a copy for collectors sake alone. :D

Meriv
2012-06-22, 07:01 AM
for beta purpouse wouldn't it be better to realease just indaar and slowly after that the other two?

Zaerath
2012-06-22, 07:23 AM
for beta purpouse wouldn't it be better to realease just indaar and slowly after that the other two?

Unfortunately, that wouldn't make sense. Half the idea of the beta is to stress-test the servers to make sure they don't come crashing down on release day. They need a realistic amount of people playing in the normal game world to test server load, etc.

Eyeklops
2012-06-22, 08:01 AM

I agree. This is what I would do. Only one continent is needed to stress test the server and fix balance issues. The art department could be finishing up the other two continents while the coding and QA teams work on balance and fixing Indar map bugs during early beta.

So on topic, I would guess about 7~10gig. 2~3 for the base client and assets, and 5~7 for Indar.

Coreldan
2012-06-22, 08:05 AM
They won't wait to have all 3 continents ready, that's pretty much sure. At E3 they werent even sure what the third continent would be, let alone having the time to make it, at least when we consider the manhours they've put into Indar.

Amerish is probably pretty well underway, but Indar is most likely the only mostly finished cont for now.

Mirror
2012-06-22, 08:10 AM
I saw somewhere that the client (Prob E3) was 11.6Gb.

Hamma
2012-06-22, 08:52 AM
Yea I think Mirror is probably pretty close on that I think it will be a massive DL.

Razicator
2012-06-22, 10:11 AM
How does SOE servers handle people downloading games? Is it just a direct download? I'm wondering if there will be a peer-to-peer download client built into the launcher itself, a la WoW. Of course it would be disable-able.

Ailos
2012-06-22, 10:16 AM
Somewhere between 2 and 2^28 KB.

Turdicus
2012-06-22, 11:18 AM
The leaked client was 11.5 or something and that didnt have all of the games weapons, certs, continents etc. So it will definitely be above that. I'm gonna go ahead and guess.........18gigs :groovy:

Hmr85
2012-06-22, 11:47 AM
12 to 15gigs is about the size I think its going to be. They can patch all the extra content in over time.

Mirror
2012-06-22, 12:11 PM
It will download via the launcher just like Planetside.

AvacadoEight
2012-06-22, 12:17 PM
We know it'll be no smaller than 11 Gigs.

So says the leak.

GuyFawkes
2012-06-22, 12:25 PM
It will download via the launcher just like Planetside.

I wonder if they will use the launcher similar to eq2 since they went ftp with that?

The initial download takes like 15-30 mins, then the rest is loaded while you play and as is required by the client /character .

Coreldan
2012-06-22, 12:29 PM
I wonder if they will use the launcher similar to eq2 since they went ftp with that?

The initial download takes like 15-30 mins, then the rest is loaded while you play and as is required by the client /character .

I really wish all gaming companies would learn from Blizzard and supposedly the EQ2 launcher then. It's seriously fucking retarded having to download the entire MMORPG including the end game raids at once when you are not likely to ever even get that far :D

That said, PS2 is a bit different, cos you are likely to visit any and all continents in any order, so what exactly can you leave out without it causing much trouble, which is the easy part in MMORPGs..

GuyFawkes
2012-06-22, 12:40 PM
I really wish all gaming companies would learn from Blizzard and supposedly the EQ2 launcher then. It's seriously fucking retarded having to download the entire MMORPG including the end game raids at once when you are not likely to ever even get that far :D

That said, PS2 is a bit different, cos you are likely to visit any and all continents in any order, so what exactly can you leave out without it causing much trouble, which is the easy part in MMORPGs..

It is a different animal I agree in ps2 . But I was impressed , click download >go make a coffee and have a smoke > press play . By time you've run around the starter area and done most of the quests (the initial download) the rest of the game is more-or -less on your hard drive.
Imagine same in PS2, short download , do some virtual reality missions etc , enter game , do set of missions there within a certain criteria > game is ready on HD give or take .

Hmr85
2012-06-22, 12:45 PM
TBh, I would be fine on taking a graphical hit as the side effect until the download was complete. I could see them doing something like that if they did something similar to what Blizz did with their downloader.

Coreldan
2012-06-22, 12:53 PM
It is a different animal I agree in ps2 . But I was impressed , click download >go make a coffee and have a smoke > press play . By time you've run around the starter area and done most of the quests (the initial download) the rest of the game is more-or -less on your hard drive.
Imagine same in PS2, short download , do some virtual reality missions etc , enter game , do set of missions there within a certain criteria > game is ready on HD give or take .

Yeah, except my net is nothing like that :D

Im fe. currently downloading The Secret World beta, 12,8gb. Some 18 hours or so for the whole thing. So I wouldnt quite have the game on my HDD by the time by the time I'm out of the tutorial, but it would help people especially with nets like mine, even if it would probably be hard to do with a game like PS2.

It would probably be some animations and graphical things they could save from.. But still, would think most of the terrain needs to be there, sucks driving into rocks that havnt loaded yet lol.

Sicklylol
2012-06-22, 12:56 PM
Wondering how big it will be.
i guess around 3 gb and a total of 8 when its installed on your pc/lappy.

There is zero information about this particular topic, all information given to you by these people here should be taken lightly because they are most likely wrong.

Coreldan
2012-06-22, 01:01 PM
There is zero information about this particular topic, all information given to you by these people here should be taken lightly because they are most likely wrong.

Except quite many people have downloaded the E3 build on their computer and know how big it is.

Discussing that was forbid by Hamma, but the size of the download has been brought up in this thread a few times now..

Sicklylol
2012-06-22, 01:06 PM
Everything is that build is subject to change. The real beta build could be twice the size of that. For all we know that build that was leaked was missing multiple continent, vehicles, weapons, high rez textures and so on. There is no point using that build as proof of the actual size.

RadarX
2012-06-22, 02:00 PM
Except quite many people have downloaded the E3 build on their computer and know how big it is.

Discussing that was forbid by Hamma, but the size of the download has been brought up in this thread a few times now..

We obviously aren't going to go into detail, but quite a few isn't really accurate.

Going through a few Beta launches myself, anything you've had read is already inaccurate. Development teams are always cognoscente of client size (some call it "footprint") and it will be kept as small as it can. It will not be small (under 10 GB) but in an age where that is like 3.5 hours of HD streaming? That's honestly not that much.

Bags
2012-06-22, 02:01 PM
We obviously aren't going to go into detail, but quite a few isn't really accurate.

Going through a few Beta launches myself, anything you've had read is already inaccurate. Development teams are always cognoscente of client size (some call it "footprint") and it will be kept as small as it can. It will not be small (under 10 GB) but in an age where that is like 3.5 hours of HD streaming? That's honestly not that much.

For my friend with .5 megabit net it is. :lol:

Coreldan
2012-06-22, 02:03 PM
For my friend with .5 megabit net it is. :lol:

Same for me.. 1mbit next, 10gb game is gonna take me all day to download.. :D If I start in the morning, I wont most likely get to play it during the same day :D

That said, Radar X, don't understand it the wrong way. Naturally I wouldn't mind having to download less for more content, but that obviously doesnt quite work out. I understand that I'm the minority with my 1mbit connection too. I very much expect any modern game to be 10gb+ anyways, so it doesnt disappoint me in any shape or form.

Yeah.. it might take me a day of downloading, but what is one day when I have many years to come to enjoy the game? ;) But.. I wouldnt mind if we had a chance to download (most) of the client before beta starts, cos otherwise I'm gonna be stuck waiting for a good while :D

@Sicklylol, I'm almost expecting that to get pretty much doubled by release, yes, but I was more so pointing that we pretty much know how big will it be minimum.

Synapse
2012-06-22, 02:26 PM

If its going to be that size, don't be silly have think a central download server will handle the load. Should probably be torrented.

Also be aware that it's as much as a 12-18 hour delay to some players if the client is big enough they need to wait till it downloads overnight, while they sit and watch others play.

Much better to just give the client out a few days in advance. And again, no your download server is not going to handle it.

Sledgecrushr
2012-06-22, 02:28 PM
42 gigabytes.

p0intman
2012-06-22, 02:42 PM

What you did there: I see it.

Ragefighter
2012-06-22, 03:33 PM
I am guessing 14.6gb!

Hamma
2012-06-22, 04:01 PM
Slow internet is not the norm these days for Gamers as it was back for PlanetSide 1.

starshine
2012-06-23, 12:24 AM
hahaa i have 40 to 70 kbps download speed on a good day, dcuo toook me 5 days to download. looking forward to spending a week monitoring my computer to check on ps2 dl progress.

TAA
2012-06-23, 12:42 AM
I have a 20Gb/month quota. If the client is more than 10 Gb I will probably have to download it in two steps - the first half at the end of the month and the second half at the beginning of the new month.

Morior
2012-06-23, 06:20 AM
10GB or more...

SKYeXile
2012-06-23, 06:59 AM
I have a 20Gb/month quota. If the client is more than 10 Gb I will probably have to download it in two steps - the first half at the end of the month and the second half at the beginning of the new month.

do you live in combodia? i live in australia and i dont think even the single mum facebook browsing plans get that low.

Solidblock
2012-06-23, 07:36 AM
40gb/month here. I'm going to upgrade soon anyway, but if not I'd be happy to pay £5 for an extra 5gb if this makes it run over

Andur
2012-06-23, 09:54 AM
I'm less concerned with dowload TIME or quota (50 Mbit unlimited plan), and more concerned with install SIZE. I'd like to be able to install PS2 to my small, 64 GB SSD, currently sitting at 23 GB free space.

Mirror
2012-06-23, 11:21 AM
I'm less concerned with dowload TIME or quota (50 Mbit unlimited plan), and more concerned with install SIZE. I'd like to be able to install PS2 to my small, 64 GB SSD, currently sitting at 23 GB free space.

I have a 64Gb SSD in my PC that will be used for only Planetside 2.

I will point out that my 128Gb SSD has my OS on it and my 600Gb HDD is for the rest of my crap.