PDA

View Full Version : I want a rail shooter!!

Canaris
2012-06-23, 04:22 AM
Wouldn't it be total awesome sauce for SOE to add a rail shooters to Planetside 2,

Imagine how kewl it would be

♫ Do A Barrel Roll! ♫ - YouTube

NO YOU FOOL I'm not talking about Starfox or Rebel assault geez :rolleyes:

;)
I'm talking about putting shooters or turrets as we call em heh :D on rails, I know that most of the base designs so far have the defense turrets as static emplacements, this is the future right? where's all the mobile defenses!

Gun emplacements can only ever have a limited field of fire based on where they set down on a base, leaving a lot of blind spots to them.
Would it be a good idea to free them of there static chains and have them able to patrol on tracks a small area around them giving them better ability to help in a base defense? I'm not suggesting having a large crazy roller coaster base system.
This turret system would only be able to move when it's manned, when unmanned it just sits in it's primary position, I just see static defenses and think nowadays it's a bit of a waste.

What do you guys think, to much?

EDIT: Thanks to Stew & MrKWalmsley for pointing out UT has a simliar system to what I proposed
First turret in this vid has the idea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZcdWi8fIZu4

Sabot
2012-06-23, 04:28 AM
hmm.. I think they will be seriously OP if they can move aswell as blow stuff up as well as they do hehe.

Zekeen
2012-06-23, 04:32 AM
Just hire an ace Liberator Pilot and gun it.

There's a reason there are no multiplayer rail shooters...

Guns on rails just seem... odd... and low tech. Is it some out of place circling ball turret?

MrKWalmsley
2012-06-23, 04:36 AM
You mean like a rail system used on base turrets in UT3? I wouldn't say I'd support this, because it is once again just giving an extra advantage to the defenders, who already have a plethora of advantages for being the defenders anyway. However I would willingly trade out jump pads to have this put in place!

Stew
2012-06-23, 04:41 AM
(Ps3) Unreal Tournament 3 (4 of 4) Gameplay - YouTube

You mean like these ;) Unreal tournament have those kind of turrets so you can update the op with this link if its whats you mean !

Stew
2012-06-23, 04:47 AM
You mean like a rail system used on base turrets in UT3? I wouldn't say I'd support this, because it is once again just giving an extra advantage to the defenders, who already have a plethora of advantages for being the defenders anyway. However I would willingly trade out jump pads to have this put in place!

lol you think the same as me lol i was looking for a video while you replied lol

Solidblock
2012-06-23, 04:53 AM
Vanu should get access to them as kind of a empire-specific faction weapon. A bit like the turret off the Hammerhead in Warhammer 40k

Canaris
2012-06-23, 04:53 AM
lol shows how much I played UT this last decade :D

yeah I was thinking of something similar to the first turret, could maybe mount it on the bases wall, you could tone down the powerful nature of them and have them either move or shoot but not both at the same time.

Toppopia
2012-06-23, 04:55 AM
That would be cool to see, maybe as an upgrade so that they are mobile, but do less damage. Would be cool to customise base defences for how you want them to be.

Stew
2012-06-23, 05:01 AM
lol shows how much I played UT this last decade :D

yeah I was thinking of something similar to the first turret, could maybe mount it on the bases wall, you could tone down the powerful nature of them and have them either move or shoot but not both at the same time.

you should update the OP with this link so much more people will figure how it will be

Dagron
2012-06-23, 07:19 AM
you could tone down the powerful nature of them and have them either move or shoot but not both at the same time.

I think it would make little difference, unless there were a few seconds of delay for them to deploy.

Figment
2012-06-23, 07:28 AM
Only if it gets a choo choo whistle and a Thomas face on it! :D

Seriously though, don't see why not, everything else has more movement freedom and whether it is left or right, it'd still be stationary with deadzones. Just give it a bit more 'mass' than that UT3 thing so it accelerates a bit slower. But yeah, magnetic rails, why not?

Knotz
2012-06-23, 09:13 AM
what happens when one minecart rail turret gun yolkey doo-dah hits into another?

Dagron
2012-06-23, 09:17 AM
Baby minecart rail turret gun yolkey doo-dahs happen.

Knotz
2012-06-23, 09:33 AM
Baby minecart rail turret gun yolkey doo-dahs happen.

O.O kinky...

Canaris
2012-06-23, 09:34 AM
what happens when one minecart rail turret gun yolkey doo-dah hits into another?

well other than making lil turrets lol @ Dagron :lol:, like I said in the original post the base wouldn't have some roller coaster system, all turrets would be on independent rail systems, able to cover a specific area around themselves.

Khrakhan
2012-06-23, 09:45 AM
I was really hoping you were talking about one of these....
http://www.warbirdphotographs.com/ATC/ATC-GermanRailGun-1.jpg

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/dangerroom/2011/06/railgun.jpg

http://dragyoutohell.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/railgun1.jpg

Knotz
2012-06-23, 09:48 AM
Is that the best gun-babe pic you could find...? O.o

Khrakhan
2012-06-23, 09:48 AM
No, just the first one I saw from googling 'rail gun', gotta admit though, it looks like its got some recoil :P

Baneblade
2012-06-23, 09:54 AM
I've always thought that the base defense guns shouldn't be exposed by default, but have a protective enclosure until manned in which they would slide out and be able to engage. Not exactly what you meant I know.

NCLynx
2012-06-23, 01:50 PM
The mobile defenses are the people playing the game.