PDA

View Full Version : Ode to the max crash.

IMMentat
2012-06-23, 03:27 PM
Wave farewell folks, come PS2 this will be the stuff of memories.

http://www.twitch.tv/tigersmith/b/322385091
Jump to 9:35 and 30:20 and observe/enjoy.

Vanu MAX Jumpjets will be missed greatly #puts flowers on the grave#.

Vamoozi
2012-06-23, 03:34 PM
MAX with a jumpjet? that sounds OP...

Anyway... Guess who is playing Light assault because of jumpjets!

Mirror
2012-06-23, 03:49 PM
I don't know if anyone feels the sameway but I would like to see autorun be removed from the max as well or even if autorun was one of the special ability certs like the shield.

IMMentat
2012-06-23, 03:59 PM
Autorun was needed as only 2 vehicles could transport MAX units (both were rare and needed another player to do the driveing), without it the MAX would have only been a defensive unit (or hacked terminal suprise unit).

Looking forward to seeing more info on the PS2 max abilities though.

Sifer2
2012-06-23, 04:19 PM
Seems like the MAX running, and charge are both cert abilities in Planetside 2.

Anyway MAX crash definitely wont work anymore if MAX's stay as weak as they were in the E3 build. One guy with a standard assault rifle could drop one in about a clip of fire into its head. So with multiple people shooting at them they wont last long.

Morphic
2012-06-23, 04:27 PM
Vanu max's were really boss. I loved jettin around in them. They definitely got your attention when they came over a base wall in droves.

Vamoozi
2012-06-23, 04:42 PM

Anyway MAX crash definitely wont work anymore if MAX's stay as weak as they were in the E3 build. One guy with a standard assault rifle could drop one in about a clip of fire into its head. So with multiple people shooting at them they wont last long.
I dont know...
the MAX footage i saw at the E3 streams was pretty awesome. Kill streaks en masse, the NC guy with the dual flame thrower was pimp boss.
(especailly the two TR guys in maxes fanatically looking up and down, that brought a laugh, it was awesome!)

Mirror
2012-06-23, 04:58 PM

Yeah that was 1 vs 1. What if its 30 maxes, what happens then? I guess we'll need to wait for beta to find out :p

kaffis
2012-06-23, 05:05 PM
I think you'll be seriously surprised if this is what you believe.

Yeah, a LA could duel a lone MAX... But throw additional MAXes in there to cover flank approaches, and some engineer support in with them (the engineers won't be hindered by turn rate the way MAXes are), and those LA duelers will go down right quick.

In addition, you're seriously underestimating the differential between time to kill the MAX and the TTK's the MAXes were achieving against infantry. This means that several MAXes coordinating fire will be deadly indeed.

Electrofreak
2012-06-23, 07:48 PM
MAX with a jumpjet? that sounds OP...

It was! Damn flying purple dildos... :p

Rbstr
2012-06-23, 07:53 PM

Yeah but they were also capable of freaking raping infantry in the hands of someone competent. I'm excited to grab a MAX in ps2. I hated playing one in PS1.

Besides that, the skill disparity in the E3 was readily apparent. This is one of those things we'll have to judge later.

Electrofreak
2012-06-23, 07:59 PM
Yeah but they were also capable of freaking raping infantry in the hands of someone competent. I'm excited to grab a MAX in ps2. I hated playing one in PS1.

Besides that, the skill disparity in the E3 was readily apparent. This is one of those things we'll have to judge later.

That, and we didn't get to see the special abilities MAX will be able to employ, including the shield that used to be NC-only but now will be available to all factions if my memory serves.

In PS1, whenever you jumped in a MAX (AA, AI, or AV) you can almost guarantee the first thing you walked into was going to be something your guns were ineffective against! It was almost a given. PS2 will allow for much better flexibility.

Atlas
2012-06-23, 08:08 PM
Yeah, a LA could duel a lone MAX... But throw additional MAXes in there to cover flank approaches, and some engineer support in with them (the engineers won't be hindered by turn rate the way MAXes are), and those LA duelers will go down right quick.

I know what you're trying to say here, but...

1 Original MAX, 2 'Flank' MAXes, 'some' Engineer support VS 1 Light Assault...
Yeah that LA should die against 5-6 other people...

AimlessSpectre
2012-06-23, 08:51 PM
I know what you're trying to say here, but...

1 Original MAX, 2 'Flank' MAXes, 'some' Engineer support VS 1 Light Assault...
Yeah that LA should die against 5-6 other people...

I think you're misreading his intent. He says "those light assaults" and if I'm not mistaken he's meaning that maxes in a group will be worth more than an equal or even greater number of light assaults. He's implying that light assault harassment will be less of an issue to a well made force of max units due to their power combined with overlapping fields of fire / etc. While one on one a light assault could kill a max by out maneuvering it, 6 light assaults are not going to stand up as well to say, 4 maxes and 2 engineers.

Wayside
2012-06-23, 09:02 PM
Wave farewell folks, come PS2 this will be the stuff of memories.

http://www.twitch.tv/tigersmith/b/322385091
Jump to 9:35 and 30:20 and observe/enjoy.

Vanu MAX Jumpjets will be missed greatly #puts flowers on the grave#.

I'm really, really interested to see what organized outfits will be capable of using teams of Light Assault and their jumpjets.

kaffis
2012-06-23, 09:21 PM
I think you're misreading his intent. He says "those light assaults" and if I'm not mistaken he's meaning that maxes in a group will be worth more than an equal or even greater number of light assaults. He's implying that light assault harassment will be less of an issue to a well made force of max units due to their power combined with overlapping fields of fire / etc. While one on one a light assault could kill a max by out maneuvering it, 6 light assaults are not going to stand up as well to say, 4 maxes and 2 engineers.
Yes, indeed, that's what I was saying. MAXes strongest weakness is vulnerability to maneuverability. Groups of MAXes will go a long way to mitigate those weaknesses, even against equal numbers. Thus, I fully expect the MAX crash to still be alive and thriving.