PDA

View Full Version : Class/vehicle-focused PS2 updates similar to TF2?

Razicator
2012-06-24, 03:16 PM
Instead of having these big chunks of updates spanning the whole game, what do you guys think about having TF2-like class updates? For those who don't know, Valve would focus on one class at a time in each patch. They would release really funny videos focused on that class, as well as showing off new weapons, abilities, and of course cosmetics. This one I find particularly entertaining: Meet the Spy - YouTube

But anyways, what about a "Meet the Heavy Assault" type of updates? Where a dozen or more skins are released for the HA, as well as new weapons and certs? Of course, PS2 doesn't quite have the comedic atmosphere as TF2, so maybe PS2 devs can release videos with more serious, epic, gritty update highlights. Or a "Meet the Galaxy," where they release many new galaxy abilities like syncronized hotdropping and many more? Of course, balance has to be priority, but since them majority of vehicles and abilities are common pool and skins of course don't impact game, it might be an interesting way to release updates.

ThermalReaper
2012-06-24, 03:20 PM
Meet the TR HA would be 3 minutes of the mini chaingun with Yatatata slapped on it.

On topic, This seems like a good idea but I'm not sure since we haven't started beta yet. Speculation, begin!

Edit: Yeah, I'd really like it if most game updates were like team fortress.

Goku
2012-06-24, 03:24 PM
I did enjoy these types of updates for TF2 tbh. Allowed their development team to focus on the one class instead of say doing several of them in the same time frame. Having that focus allowed for better weapons I think.

This can potentially make the game feel fresher with more frequent updates verse massive yearly ones.

Really what it depends on is the size of the PS2 team come after its launched. I know the TF2 team working on the class updates wasn't the biggest size.

ThermalReaper
2012-06-24, 03:26 PM
I did enjoy these types of updates for TF2 tbh. Allowed their development team to focus on the one class instead of say doing several of them in the same time frame. Having that focus allowed for better weapons I think.

This can potentially make the game feel fresher with more frequent updates verse massive yearly ones.

Really what it depends on is the size of the PS2 team come after its launched. I know the TF2 team working on the class updates wasn't the biggest size.

It could also lead to: OMG too much updeateas on Light asssault! Other calsses re obsedcrure!
But I still support.

Xyntech
2012-06-24, 04:49 PM
Obviously there is the problem that when you update a specific class, a huge number of players rush to play as that class for the first week or so. I don't see this as inherently bad, especially considering that other smarter players can take advantage of this by selecting classes and loadouts that are especially effective against the overpopulated class.

The only area where this could become a real problem for Planetside 2 is if they release an update for one empire and not the others. This will fuck with the populations, as 4th empire people rush to try out the new technology of the enemy empire.

So even though it could be fun to have objectives where the winning empire gets their tech a week early, I think the harm would outweigh the good. Better to make sure that if one empire gets a new piece of ES tech, all three empires get their own equivalent variation of ES tech at the same time.

I think that class updates would be cool. I don't necessarily want to see the devs focus entirely on class updates, since I feel like adding a few small additions to several classes at once would be fun too, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a big awesome class update for a specific class be released now and then. TF2 seems like a pretty good model to emulate in all of these regards.

WVoneseven
2012-06-24, 06:07 PM
Hirez also updates like this for tribes:ascend and it works great there as well.

GreatMazinkaise
2012-06-24, 06:07 PM
Hirez also updates like this for tribes:ascend and it works great there as well.

Plasma Gun and Jackal aside...

Vamoozi
2012-06-24, 06:40 PM
Please no Class specific updates.

They generally make one class overplayed for an amount of time, wich is not fun.

noxious
2012-06-24, 06:50 PM
Please no Class specific updates.

They generally make one class overplayed for an amount of time, wich is not fun.
It's a lot of fun if you play that class' counter :)

Soothsayer
2012-06-24, 08:34 PM
I think this would be a good idea in that the additions are more marketable as a package as opposed to a small but frequent filtering through of small market items.

The "Meet the ..." video series became very important to what people first saw as an introduction to TF2, I had friends who were gamers who didn't play TF2 but they had seen the videos.

kaffis
2012-06-25, 12:11 AM
I'd prefer to see updates spread across whatever areas see weak playtime. If infiltrators are currently underplayed, give them some goodies to expand their play options to increase their utility. If tanks are dominating the battlefield, throw some more AV MAX weaponry into the next patch. And so on, then re-evaluate the battlefield for the next patch...

Greenthy
2012-06-25, 06:29 AM
I actually see them releasing new weapons/vehicle mods over time to add revenue in a similar matter as League of Legends does for its champions.
And those also come with nice movies :)

CutterJohn
2012-06-25, 06:32 AM
I disagree with it. Everything at once, or little things often. Going by classes just screws game balance for a week or two as people rush to try out the new stuff.

PS2 classes also do not have any personalities like TF2 classes, so you can't have a theme to it.

GreatMazinkaise
2012-06-25, 07:15 AM
I disagree with it. Everything at once, or little things often. Going by classes just screws game balance for a week or two as people rush to try out the new stuff.

PS2 classes also do not have any personalities like TF2 classes, so you can't have a theme to it.

The DC MAX begs to differ on not having a personality...

Goku
2012-06-25, 07:45 AM
TF2 if I remember correctly went from the least played class to the most played class for updates. That did help remedy the issue a bit. Besides the classes in this game enough variety I think to not cause any prolonged usage of a single class. I never found any of the weapons to be OP besides the Pyro backburner in its initial stage.

I do look forward to seeing how the devs roll out the new content updates though.

Chowley
2012-06-25, 08:09 AM
Plasma Gun and Jackal aside...

Ah so true :p
I dont like that update system, but its not a big issue for me really.