PDA

View Full Version : News: Beta Producers Letter and free PlanetSide 1 Game Time!

Pages : [1] 2

Hamma
2012-06-26, 10:04 AM
http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-beta-producers-letter-2812.htm

Goku
2012-06-26, 10:05 AM
OMG I just resubbed. BS!

Anyway good news...

Taru
2012-06-26, 10:07 AM
I resubbed last week :(. Still will be good to see many old bloods again.

Solidblock
2012-06-26, 10:08 AM
Great stuff Hamma, much appreciated. Although not a PS1 vet myself, this is a great idea and it's great the community has been heard/or got what they wanted.

Jennyboo
2012-06-26, 10:08 AM
Epic win!!! great news!! :brow:

BiocYte
2012-06-26, 10:10 AM
Well I guess we need to suit up again :)

UnDeAdKiTtY
2012-06-26, 10:11 AM
I had a feeling, but this is great news : )

Zation
was this the announcement :P?

Top Sgt
so as we suspected The closed early beta will be set playtest times of usage to maximize as many people on at one time as possible. that's kool nothing wrong with that at all.

I kinda wish they would have given everyone a free 3 days for PS1 however so everyone could jump on for the PS1 event not just former PS1 players.

Good bit of info great find/post.

Diddy Mao
Sound the horn of gondor

NewSith
2012-06-26, 10:12 AM
Now where can I DL PS Launcher again?

basti
2012-06-26, 10:14 AM
30 days free! Planetside day here we come! Woot!

Tell everyone! :d

oosik
http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-beta-producers-letter-2812.htm

Hamma,

One line: ensure your contact information and computer specs are up to date

How do we do the computer specs thing? I don't see where to do that in account info.

Dreamcast
Time to relive childhood memories.

Can't wait to hear the Planetside theme again.

Wish new players would get a 7 day trial...I want my friends to play with me.

RodenyC
2012-06-26, 10:16 AM
So the real annoucement was just all PS1 vet get 30 days free.Awesome.The beta letter was just another beta is close that we've gotten alot of.

Dreamcast
Now where can I DL PS Launcher again?

http://www.soe.com/getthegame/

click on reinstall next to planetside.

I actually have the Planetside CD maybe that wouldve been faster lol..o well.

CidHighwind
Downloading PS1 Now

Beta Mode Rockets, Warming Up.

Krawanan
2012-06-26, 10:17 AM
Well to be honest, i'm pretty dissapointed,

this is what i expected when i read the title:
beta date announcement and planetside 1 going free to play

this is what i got:
some stuff about beta phases we already knew because they spoiled this on twitter like a thousand times, and only 30 days of playtime for ps1 vets (which doesn't apply to me :(

so, there was a little hope... but the wait for beta can begin again...

bummer

Traenor
2012-06-26, 10:18 AM
Looks like there still is some weeks to the external beta starts :( Oh well, i will get to play PS2 eventually.

ThermalReaper
2012-06-26, 10:19 AM
So if it's a 30 free day for vets(damnit), does this mean we still have 30 more days till the beta?
EDIT: Also, this is smedly's announcement? Another beta is soon letter?

Xyntech
Oh damn! I was going to resubscribe today in preparation for July 1st... Guess I can spend that money on station cash instead...

I'll take it. Beta will be here soon (soon) enough. Not all of us will get in right away anyways, so patience is a must :p

Shogun
after all it´s a nice announcement! free planetside 1 time is awesome!

smed has shown us some love! ;)

the beta announcement is just a roundup of the things we already knew. but written by the boss is a nice confirmation!

Maniox
2012-06-26, 10:20 AM
I can has 7 day trial?

Sabrak
2012-06-26, 10:20 AM
Great news!

I'm coming back in for those 30 days, then :)

But... Something is bothering me.
They keep talking about "existing PlanetSide 1 players" for the beta access.
It sounds pretty different to the "Planetside 1 vets" we used to hear about, which included former players.

I hope I'm understanding it wrong...

Snipefrag
2012-06-26, 10:21 AM
NICE, some final massive battles.. Many conts locked, tons of death and destruction to whet everyone appetite for PS2

Diddy Mao
2012-06-26, 10:23 AM
Hamma,

How do we do the computer specs thing? I don't see where to do that in account info.

Login with your station account, then signup for the beta (again) and take the survey to select your computer components

ThermalReaper
Also, for the love of god why not a smaller free trial for those who hadn't subbed? I'd play for three days if I could even see what the original was about. Damn hackers ruin Undespited galaxy on kongregate and they ruined the Planetside reserves free trials. There should be a special circle in hell just reserved for these bastards.

Shocktor
Oh well... maybe beta will be ready in August. I wonder if people who just resubbed get an extra 30 days?

Timey
we will be inviting as many of our existing PlanetSide 1 players as we can into the early phases of Beta determined by a number of different factors, including machine type.

How do they gather that data?

Aaron
LOL! I just resubbed a few days ago!

Poser
2012-06-26, 10:24 AM
Was that the considered the announcement? Because it was an explanation of a development cycle, nothing was...well announced.

Shogun
Great news!

you are. it has been confirmed by a lot of devs a lot of times.

I SandRock
I resubbed like 4 days ago.... damnit -_-

Also, no beta date.. nothing new really.

CheeZeX
Whelp, that was pretty disappointing. At least give us a tentative date so I'm not ordering new parts with 2Day shipping.

NewSith
2012-06-26, 10:25 AM
Hmmmm... Subscription is not active! ROARARARAARAR!

Diddy Mao
2012-06-26, 10:25 AM
nvm!

demonicale
2012-06-26, 10:26 AM
Great news!

I'm coming back in for those 30 days, then :)

But... Something is bothering me.
They keep talking about "existing PlanetSide 1 players" for the beta access.
It sounds pretty different to the "Planetside 1 vets" we used to hear about, which included former players.

Oh and may i add, don't tell us a "few weeks" after E3 and then just ignore the comment with "comming soon" .. not impressed atall.

I would like an awnser to this too!, i was under the impression planetside vets were priority!!.

I won't cry about it, but if we're ignored now in favour of people who've only probally been playing a week i'll be very upset!.

ThermalReaper
2012-06-26, 10:28 AM
My processor is Phenom II X3 and not X4, should I choose the athlon choice in the System specs?

Sabrak
2012-06-26, 10:29 AM
you are. it has been confirmed by a lot of devs a lot of times.

Yeah, because they couldn't possibly have changed their plans.

I know devs announced that times and times again, but "existing PS1 players" clearly means the opposite of what's been stated so far.

Burnzblood
So for those wondering how they get your system specs:

You click Sign Up for beta on thier main page, even if you already entered a key along time ago, and you take a "Survey" where you enter your system specs.

Figured I would share.

Shogun
Login with your station account, then signup for the beta (again) and take the survey to select your computer components

doesn´t work for me. cannot sign up again because soe knows i am already signed up.

NewSith
Do you people actually realise that they brought in 30 days because beta arrive in those 30 days? It's just a way for those vets who didn't get any invites to spend their time playing PS1 for the time being.

I may be jumping into assumptions, but I think first wave of invites will be sent at least next week for sure, if not this one. Because it would take approximately 1,5-2 months to invite all PS1 vets to PS2 for proper testing, opening PS1 up for that period really has a reason then.

RadarX
2012-06-26, 10:30 AM
Was that the considered the announcement? Because it was an explanation of a development cycle, nothing was...well announced.

What was your expectation if you don't mind me asking?

OpolE
2012-06-26, 10:31 AM
HEY!

Can anyone CONFIRM if PS1 is going FREE as of TODAY 26th JUNE?

ThermalReaper
Well sith that's such a damn shame because I wanted to play the original with my outfit while I'm waiting but there's no way in hell my parents would allow me to.

I SandRock
How do they gather that data?

I went to planetside 2, sign up for beta (already did that day 1 it was available) logged in with my SOE account and there was a new survey there now. Extremely basic, asks for your CPU, graphics card (can only select the series, like 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, which says very little), and RAM.

demonicale
Yeah, because they couldn't possibly have changed their plans.

I know devs announced that times and times again, but "existing PS1 players" clearly means the opposite of what's been stated so far.

I agree, i'm pretty upset about this and would like the dev's to talk to us!.

ZeroArmada

We have been hearing "a few weeks" since E3. We just want a solid beta date. :/

Poser
Please delete.

ThermalReaper
2012-06-26, 10:32 AM

Beta is here! The end of life is soon! Everyone play and melt your eyes before we are DOOOMED!

Edit: And my processor doesn't show up on the list. It's phenom X3. What the heck should I choose?

basti
2012-06-26, 10:32 AM

You click Sign Up for beta on thier main page, even if you already entered a key along time ago, and you take a "Survey" where you enter your system specs.

Figured I would share.

Redirects me to the german page, and no link for a survey.

Please get me the link! :)

ODonnell
2012-06-26, 10:33 AM
Thanks for nothing. My excitement and hope destroyed? Check.

SuperMorto
EVERYBODY BE IN THE SANCS AT 9:00 UTC and be forever captured on Planetside TV via a 4 way stream to all 3 sancs! :D

And this will launch the start of our event, the Empire War!

The stream = http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2

RodenyC
I was expecting somewhere along the lines as a estimate of beta date or that PS1 vets beta accounts were activated or I would have even like to see the NDA really.

Exmortius
2012-06-26, 10:34 AM
i still got all 4 original cds. i'll have to start reinstalling ps1 for the time being. cool to get 30 free days to hold us over til beta. sounds like beta might still be a month or 2 off from this though. i'm dying to play but i'm also wanting the beta to be somewhat polished and looking good too. so i can't fault them for really taking the necessary time. i think we got a solid dev team and the finished product is going to rule from what i've seen so far. as badly as i want to crack the whips and be like gimme planetside rawr!! in the end that probably isn't very productive :P the game is looking incredible though. thanks again devs.

RadarX
HEY!

Can anyone CONFIRM if PS1 is going FREE as of TODAY 26th JUNE?

To clarify, PS1 is not going free. Players who had an active (paying) account are being granted 30 days free in support of this weekends PlanetSide Day.

ThermalReaper
Redirects me to the german page, and no link for a survey.

Please get me the link! :)

https://account.station.sony.com/authenticated/beta/betaRegistrationLandingPage!survey.action

Here you go basti!

DirtyBird
I would like an awnser to this too!, i was under the impression planetside vets were priority!!.

That goes against everything we've been told to read in ultimate beta thread up above.
Seems like they were legit, albeit repetitive, questions of concern regarding the clarification of vets after all.
Although the answers are probably vague enough to allow for and escape clause.

In any case, I guess we are closer than we were yesterday.

Dreamcast
Hey guys, I just downloaded the game and Im getting a runtime error.....

I got Windows 7 64 bit.

Have any of you guys gotten this error?

Nevermind I run as administrator and this fixed the problem.

Shocktor
2012-06-26, 10:35 AM

I believe people expected "dates" -- this wasn't an announcement to people who follow Twitter or are just familiar with development cycles.

However, I am guessing from this announcement that August is the target for beta.... seems like it's far away since you're still in internal beta.

NewSith

Figured I would share.

Ruski page only gives me this:
PlanetSide 2

Вы уже подписаны на участие в программе тестирования бета-версии игры PlanetSide 2. Если с момента вашего последнего входа ваш адрес электронной почты был изменен, обновите информацию о нем на странице Управление аккаунтом, с тем, чтобы получать от нас самую последнюю информацию о программе тестирования бета-версии, включая информацию о том, как приступить к тестированию в случае выбора вашей кандидатуры.

Надеемся вскоре увидеть вас в игре, солдат!
--------------------------------------------------
In short:
You already signed up for participating in beta. If any changes were made to your e-mail, go to user cp and correct the information there, so you can get the latest info and howto on joining beta if you are selected.

We hope to see you in the game soon, soldier!

No buttons, nothing. User CP doesn't give anything of that sort too.

Hobitt
Well there goes my excitement...

demonicale
2012-06-26, 10:36 AM
To clarify, PS1 is not going free. Players who had an active (paying) account are being granted 30 days free in support of this weekends PlanetSide Day.

RadarX.

Do you mind letting the Planetside 1 Vet's in this thread know if they are still priority for beta or not?.

As the new Beta letter mention's current planetside player's and NOT vet's.

thanks

ThermalReaper

Radar, Why not give a very small free trial to those who hadn't subscribed? Just one day, that's all I ask. Also this is the third time I ask this since my posts just go away, my processor isn't on the list. What do I do?( Phenom II X3 710)

OpolE

WOOPS very sorry I meant to post

Can you RadarX confirm if PS1 30 days free starts Today 26th June? Or 1st of July?

RadarX
I was expecting somewhere along the lines as a estimate of beta date or that PS1 vets beta accounts were activated or I would have even like to see the NDA really.

I can't remember ever seeing a company provide a specific Beta date (if it happens it must be rare). They do announce they are entering closed Beta (and that's effectively what we are doing today) but NDA's and dates are never made public.

I wish we could provide you more, but that's just not how game Betas are done unfortunately.

RadarX.

Do you mind letting the Planetside 1 Vet's in this thread know if they are still priority for beta or not?.

As the new Beta letter mention's current planetside player's and NOT vet's.

thanks

Nothing at all has changed regarding PlanetSide 1 veterans. Everything you have been told previously is still true.

basti
2012-06-26, 10:37 AM
https://account.station.sony.com/authenticated/beta/betaRegistrationLandingPage!survey.action

Here you go basti!

Gives me an error message

Gotta figure out how to change the page to english. :>

Anderz
2012-06-26, 10:38 AM

You know what would be nice?
If you let everyone who has signed up for Beta and/or has a key into Planetside for 30 days, not just vets.

That might help mask the disappointment of this pseudo beta announcement. :(

Oh well, the waiting game continues...

NewSith

VPN or a giant poster saying, SMED TELL THEM TO FIX THE SITE! infront of his home windows.

demonicale
I can't remember ever seeing a company provide a specific Beta date (if it happens it must be rare). They do announce they are entering closed Beta (and that's effectively what we are doing today) but NDA's and dates are never made public.

I wish we could provide you more, but that's just not game Betas are done unfortunately.

Nothing at all has changed regarding PlanetSide 1 veterans. Everything you have been told previously is still true.

Thanks i appreciate the reply :)

DirtyBird

Had means all of the ol'skool ftw!

RadarX
2012-06-26, 10:39 AM
Radar, Why not give a very small free trial to those who hadn't subscribed? Just one day, that's all I ask. Also this is the third time I ask this since my posts just go away, my processor isn't on the list. What do I do?( Phenom II X3 710)

This just isn't something we are able to do. Unfortunately this is not as easy as flipping a switch even if it seems like it should be.

WOOPS very sorry I meant to post

Can you RadarX confirm if PS1 30 days free starts Today 26th June? Or 1st of July?

I can confirm what the letter stated which is this week. They are in the process of doing whatever black magic needs to be done right now so you guys can play this weekend. We can't give you an exact time or date just yet.

Xyntech
2012-06-26, 10:39 AM

I wish we could provide you more, but that's just not game Betas are done unfortunately.

You heard it here first folks. As official as it will ever get, they are entering closed beta. So starting today, it's possible (although not confirmed) that players may be starting to be trickled in. It's possible it may still not happen for a few weeks, but it may be happening already.

The only date I'm really concerned about right now is when those 30 free days kick in :D I may have to resubscribe anyways, unless it's going to activate sometime today. Getting itchy to play some more.

I can confirm what the letter stated which is this week. They are in the process of doing whatever black magic needs to be done right now so you guys can play this weekend. We can't give you an exact time or date just yet.

Oh okay, awesome. Thanks for the semi-clarification. Sometimes it's enough just to know that you guys aren't entirely sure yet.

Shocktor
2012-06-26, 10:40 AM
They do announce they are entering closed Beta (and that's effectively what we are doing today) but NDA's and dates are never made public.

Can you please clarify -- my impression is that you are in Internal Beta as of now and the next phase is testing the servers before the external beta.

External beta = closed beta ?

Or am I reading this wrong?

I SandRock
2012-06-26, 10:40 AM

So who gets into the 'internal tech test'? Just random people based on that PS2 beta survey thats been put up? Shouldn't you ask more specifically what graphics cards people have? I mean 400 series... it tells you very little other than the DX feature it supports. A 250 is still better than a 420 for instance.. ?

Perhaps a specific date wasn't expected. But this says nothing other than the cycles. You could at least be a bit vague about it but clarify how much time you expect there to be between each phase. Like, when do you expect the Tech Test to start (couple or some weeks from now, couple or some months, etc.) and how long after that you expect the external beta to start, if all goes as planned?

You heard it here first folks. As official as it will ever get, they are entering closed beta. So starting today, it's possible (although not confirmed) that players may be starting to be trickled in. It's possible it may still not happen for a few weeks, but it may be happening already.

The only date I'm really concerned about right now is when those 30 free days kick in :D I may have to resubscribe anyways, unless it's going to activate sometime today. Getting itchy to play some more.

Oh okay, awesome. Thanks for the semi-clarification. Sometimes it's enough just to know that you guys aren't entirely sure yet.

Ehh... they started internal closed beta, as they call it (sounds like alpha to me...), which is with their team (and I guess those outfits that got invited). Then there's the tech test, which sounds like it will be with a bunch of randomly invited people based on specs. And then there's closed beta as the rest of the universe knows it, where us vets and those who signed up actually get a chance of being invited...

NewSith
2012-06-26, 10:41 AM

Is this gonna work like the afterhack free time? I mean it's on after you enter the game, or it's on when THEY say it's on?

basti

At what day will those 30 days be added? ASAP would be nice, giving people time to reinstall (you need a subscription/time on your account to even download via Launcher), and also gives people some days to get into the game again + gives us all more epic battles for longer time. :D

Different topic: anyone got a idea how to change the language on the station page? German is bugged for the hardware survey.

Sabrak

Ok, so it's just a little mess up on that last information letter, right?

Good. :)

(And thanks for the answer)

Please let us know if you manage to do it.

I'm working on it too.

ThermalReaper
2012-06-26, 10:42 AM
This just isn't something we are able to do. Unfortunately this is not as easy as flipping a switch even if it seems like it should be.
I know I know, it just feels wrong. I really wanted to try the first one and I'll probably not be able to try the Closed beta since I'm going away for a month or two and I won't have a good computer to play on. At least can you confirm that the closed beta starts during those 30 days?

NewSith
2012-06-26, 10:43 AM
At what day will those 30 days be added? ASAP would be nice, giving people time to reinstall (you need a subscription/time on your account to even download via Launcher), and also gives people some days to get into the game again + gives us all more epic battles for longer time. :D

Different topic: anyone got a idea how to change the language on the station page? German is bugged for the hardware survey.

VPN. But I don't think you for one have to worry... T-Ray simply can't let the ol' dirty Basti miss the beta :D:D:D

EDIT: WTF, my nickname is taken?

RadarX
2012-06-26, 10:43 AM

If I had a specific date and time I would absolutely give it to you. This week is as narrow as I can make it right now. As I stated, the goal of this is to support the events this weekend so it shouldn't be long.

GIXSA
2012-06-26, 10:44 AM
Sweet. Comon beta :rock:

Kurtz
2012-06-26, 10:44 AM
I'll tell you what I expected. Beta this week. Not because of my own estimations (I thought beta would be in September and posted such), but rather based on what I took from Higby's comments at E3. To find out you guys are still internally testing for equipment specs is a little bit of a let down.

I hope you are not losing marketing momentum. Using these boards as a gauge of interest, we went from 500 users monitoring these boards during E3 to only 100 or so now three weeks later.

Summer would be the perfect time to start a beta, for obvious reasons and I would hate to see that opportunity lost.

Finally, there is the free PS1 time. A nice gesture, and harmless as long as you don't offer a 7 day free trial. Having non ps players play PS1 may turn them off to PS2.

I personally don't have the time to load PS1 and would rather play a game like BF3 that has closer game mechanics to what PS2 will be than set myself back playing PS1 (no offense).

Again, the PS1 free time is a nice gesture, but I don't think we should assume that this will placate some of us.

Good luck on internal Beta.

basti
2012-06-26, 10:45 AM
I know I know, it just feels wrong. I really wanted to try the first one and I'll probably not be able to try the Closed beta since I'm going away for a month or two and I won't have a good computer to play on. At least can you confirm that the closed beta starts during those 30 days?

Just buy the box man. Its worth it! :)

WiteBeam
Hell yeah! A free month. PS is going to be packed.

basti
If I had a specific date and time I would absolutely give it to you. This week is as narrow as I can make it right now. As I stated, the goal of this is to support the events this weekend so it shouldn't be long.

<3 :)

Poser

A date. Or at least an ETA.

Look, this is a lose-lose situation. I find stuff like this to be really superficial and condescending. But if you provide at date and miss it other people will freak out.

helioN
2012-06-26, 10:46 AM
Disappointing. They've said "weeks" at E3. I guess everyone assumed BETA would begin in maximum 30 days time.

Seriously... useless hype. Also, they should make PS1 free for everyone so people could hop in and train before PS2 launches, oh well.

I hate when they tease everyone and then release some useless stuff as an "announcement", it's so... EA-like.

ThermalReaper
2012-06-26, 10:46 AM
Just buy the box man. Its worth it! :)

If I could find it in any retail shop that sells one or if I could persuade my parents I would have the second I knew about planetside.
There's a huge downside to being a gamer in Egypt.

Dreamcast
2012-06-26, 10:47 AM
I just killed 2 Vanu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell yeah!

Exmortius
so inactive accounts don't get 30 days free?

Policenaut
Disappointed there's no solid dates, but at least I can enter in my computer specs now, so that's some progress.

Mastachief
2012-06-26, 10:48 AM
Ok anybody outside the U.S managed to get to this survey or is this just the way they are excluding europeans from the initial stages of beta?

NewSith
2012-06-26, 10:49 AM
Ok anybody outside the U.S managed to get to this survey or is this just the way they are excluding europeans from the initial stages of beta?

Wait what? It doesn't work for brits too?

Anderz

In Australia here and the survey worked fine. Using Firefox, if that means anything.

ThermalReaper

I manged to but when I press sign up again, the survey just resets and I'm not sure if my answers got submitted.

basti
2012-06-26, 10:50 AM
I'll tell you what I expected. Beta this week. Not because of my own estimations (I thought beta would be in September and posted such), but rather based on what I took from Higby's comments at E3. To find out you guys are still internally testing for equipment specs is a little bit of a let down.

I hope you are not losing marketing momentum. Using these boards as a gauge of interest, we went from 500 users monitoring these boards during E3 to only 100 or so now three weeks later.

Summer would be the perfect time to start a beta, for obvious reasons and I would hate to see that opportunity lost.

Finally, there is the free PS1 time. A nice gesture, and harmless as long as you don't offer a 7 day free trial. Having non ps players play PS1 may turn them off to PS2.

I personally don't have the time to load PS1 and would rather play a game like BF3 that has closer game mechanics to what PS2 will be than set myself back playing PS1 (no offense).

Again, the PS1 free time is a nice gesture, but I don't think we should assume that this will placate some of us.

You really need to learn a few things about games:

Betas dont start when you want to. Betas start when the game is ready for it. They could annouce that beta starts tommorow, but if the game just crashes every time you try to login, then the whole thing is pretty pointless anyway.

Folks, to all of you: Stop waiting. Give up, it makes no sense and just drives you crazy. The beta will start sooner or later, but it starts at some point. Thats the only truth there is about betas. No date or even a random guess would make you feel any better. Just chill, enjoy PS1 if you can or play whatever else, spend your time here on the forums raging about stuff, or just enjoy the last few weeks of time with your Girlfriend, before the leaves you because you spend all day infront of the PC.

There will be the day when we all play beta, then open beta, then release. So dont worry. :)

razor851
so inactive accounts don't get 30 days free?
Are you trolling?

demonicale
I'm ENGLISH, and i can say that yes, the survey worked fine for me.

bjorntju1

I did, and I am from the EU.

ot:

Damn, I really thought we were getting a date or something, kinda dissapointed by this...

And what do they mean with this?

We will be inviting as many of our existing PlanetSide 1 players as we can into the early phases of Beta determined by a number of different factors,

So does that mean that not every PS vet will get in in the early phases?

Mastachief
2012-06-26, 10:51 AM
Hamma,

Wait what? It doesn't work for brits too?

Not the way i've followed both the normal route and that direct link, something is smelling of VS here.

RadarX
2012-06-26, 10:51 AM

As someone who watches this boards traffic second to probably only Hamma, I'm going to respectively disagree about the forum traffic. I spend a sizable portion of my day watching Social Media and forum traffic. Are we where we were at E3? No. That is the Super Bowl of gaming. It's almost unobtainable at any other point.

If this announcement wasn't clear, external Beta is practically here. We aren't dating it, but it's out there now.

Infektion
2012-06-26, 10:52 AM
good thing i'm a cheapskate and haven't resubbed :D

<= winning :rofl:

NewSith
2012-06-26, 10:53 AM
just enjoy the last few weeks of time with your Girlfriend, before she leaves you because you spend all day infront of the PC.

There will be the day when we all play beta, then open beta, then release. So dont worry. :)

I sent my GF off to Caucassus on vacation 'till mid-august, solely because of PS2 *giggles*

rTekku

I wish we could provide you more, but that's just not how game Betas are done unfortunately.

Many game companies announce specific beta dates.

A game i'm currently playing now, PSO2, they released specific dates for the CB, pre-OB, and OB.

And for a game everyone is probably more familiar with, BF3, they had a specific date as well.

A lot of companies do what we were expecting SOE to do. Say "beta will be starting around x time" and then as time draws closer, "beta will start on x date".

basti
If I could find it in any retail shop that sells one or if I could persuade my parents I would have the second I knew about planetside.
There's a huge downside to being a gamer in Egypt.

Ebay. ITs cheap there. Just talk with the guy first and tell him you only need the key. This way you save shipping. :)

meepr
2012-06-26, 10:54 AM

just switch your browser language to english (US) and reload the page

i registered here just to tell you guys that :D

demonicale
As someone who watches this boards traffic second to probably only Hamma, I'm going to respectively disagree about the forum traffic. I spend a sizable portion of my day watching Social Media and forum traffic. Are we where we were at E3? No. That is the Super Bowl of gaming. It's almost unobtainable at any other point.

If this announcement wasn't clear, external Beta is practically here. We aren't dating it, but it's out there now.

With all the respect in the world to you guy's, i think you should've made thing's ALOT more clearer than you have done in my own opinion.

But with that said, let's just wait and see what happens next guy's.

stordito
I did not received any mail or survey, and the planetside subscription is still "closed". that's because I'm european?

capiqu
I hope they email all past planetside subscribers about the free 30 day. Wait can the server handle that?

ringring
2012-06-26, 10:57 AM
Ruski page only gives me this:
PlanetSide 2

Вы уже подписаны на участие в программе тестирования бета-версии игры PlanetSide 2. Если с момента вашего последнего входа ваш адрес электронной почты был изменен, обновите информацию о нем на странице Управление аккаунтом, с тем, чтобы получать от нас самую последнюю информацию о программе тестирования бета-версии, включая информацию о том, как приступить к тестированию в случае выбора вашей кандидатуры.

Надеемся вскоре увидеть вас в игре, солдат!
--------------------------------------------------
In short:
You already signed up for participating in beta. If any changes were made to your e-mail, go to user cp and correct the information there, so you can get the latest info and howto on joining beta if you are selected.

We hope to see you in the game soon, soldier!

No buttons, nothing. User CP doesn't give anything of that sort too.

I get the same, except in English ..

From the direct link that someone posted earlier I get 'system error'.

:evil:

Shogun
2012-06-26, 10:57 AM
to buy planetside 1 box, check ebay or amazon, not retail shops.

but be sure to buy a NEW one or you may not be able to use the key included.
i think the corecombat expansion in unnecessary. not sure, but it´s included as free update now, but the boxes are still for sale sometimes, don´t fall for it

razor851
2012-06-26, 10:58 AM
I sent my GF off to Caucassus on vacation 'till mid-august, solely because of PS2 *giggles*
She's cheating on you.

XLynxX
2012-06-26, 10:59 AM
Not the way i've followed both the normal route and that direct link, something is smelling of VS here.

Had the same problem mate. No survey or anything indicating such for me on Chrome, IE or Firefox.

Would someone at SOE be able to verify why this is if possible?

Mastachief

LOL thanks and welcome

demonicale

With all the respect in the world to you guy's, i think you should've made thing's ALOT more clearer than you have done in my own opinion.

But with that said, let's just wait and see what happens next guy's.

Kayos
2012-06-26, 11:00 AM
Glad I re-subbed a month ago :)
Where do you update your machine specs?
I don't see that option when I log into my account.

basti
2012-06-26, 11:01 AM

You just went extremly high on my list of awesome people, with just ONE post! :D

Canaris
2012-06-26, 11:01 AM
She's cheating on you.

only fair since he's cheating on her with Vanu ;)

Solidblock
2012-06-26, 11:02 AM
Wow, a lot of these reactions to this announcement have been wholly negative. I'm not a PS1 vet and didn't get anything from this apart from RadarX announcing the "external beta is practically here". Did you guys see that? Why does everything have to be set in stone? A bit of patience wouldn't kill anyone would it now?

On the behalf of the majority of people on this board, I want to say thank you RadarX for this announcement.

Mastachief

This works in mozilla for me from the uk, just went to planetside2.com and hit signup.

NewSith

Marry me...

ThermalReaper
2012-06-26, 11:03 AM
Ebay. ITs cheap there. Just talk with the guy first and tell him you only need the key. This way you save shipping. :)

Well that's one problem down. The other is persuading my parents. And after 2 years of persuading them to buy a new GPU, I doubt I'll work.

Sabrak
2012-06-26, 11:04 AM

Thanks!

It worked for me :)

roguy
And for a game everyone is probably more familiar with, BF3, they had a specific date as well.

A lot of companies do what we were expecting SOE to do. Say "beta will be starting around x time" and then as time draws closer, "beta will start on x date".

Dice didn't give out a date for BF3's actual closed beta... The BF3 "Beta" you're refering too was more of a pre-release promotional demo. Guild wars 2 "Beta week-ends for pre-orders" (DEMO) had a date, their closed beta didn't. The secret world didnt' have a date for their closed beta aswell.

Roy Awesome

I don't think that was very clear in the blog post.

Hamma
Wow, a lot of these reactions to this announcement have been wholly negative. I'm not a PS1 vet and didn't get anything from this apart from RadarX announcing the "external beta is practically here". Did you guys see that? Why does everything have to be set in stone? A bit of patience wouldn't kill anyone would it now?

Sometimes people have no other response other than negative. Once beta starts there will still be negative comments.

The folks who are happy usually don't post - the ones who didn't get all their candy like they were expecting in their own heads will rage. ;)

I also find it amusing people seem to think there are only a few hundred people a day checking out PSU.. theres well over 1000 daily right now and those are just registered forum users.

Hobitt
2012-06-26, 11:06 AM
Well confired my specs but i wont get in to beta soon i got a key from twitter :(

SuperMorto
2012-06-26, 11:07 AM
To anybody brining negativity to this thread. You are a moron.

This is fantastic news for everybody who has every been involved with Planetside. And to back RadarX up, this is a nice gesture, time will be spent making this happen at SOE. Thats employee time (that will cost money) to give something back to a community that started 9 years ago and all for FREE!

Well done SOE. You have listened to everybody, and only those like hamma etc will know exactly how good you have listened.

Hope to see you all in the sanc on july 1st!

Morto.

basti
Well that's one problem down. The other is persuading my parents. And after 2 years of persuading them to buy a new GPU, I doubt I'll work.

What exactly do you need from your parents? You are sitting right now at a PC, just get some cash into paypal and buy the key! :D

demonicale
Sometimes people have no other response other than negative. Once beta starts there will still be negative comments.

The folks who are happy usually don't post - the ones who didn't get all their candy like they were expecting in their own heads will rage. ;)

I think that was a pretty lame response, the people who are unhappy are the people who are passionate enough to complain.

And to be fair, we had a good reason to complain as we thought PS1 vet's were'nt being included.

And now we know, we're happy too :)

Krawanan
2012-06-26, 11:08 AM
RadarX

just got two quick questions for you :)

will the people who get chosen for the tech test phase be people who activated keys already?

and why do you say the external beta test is here if the letter states that it will be a later beta phase?

got a little confused haha,

but i think with the external test most people understood taht that is when you are actually able to download the client and log in to the servers ...
or does this mean something else?

dachlatte
2012-06-26, 11:08 AM
This is amazing news!
Dont listen to the party poopers.

maskedskull
2012-06-26, 11:10 AM
To mirror what some others have said, close betas rarely get dates...open betas do.

Sure I want to get in and play the beta, but I appreciate that it takes time for a game to be ready for that stage and I'm happy to wait until it is. Plus, someone previously mentioned about the game losing steam since E3...well yeah, but a beta is not going to fix that. The point of a beta is to mass test the game to make sure it works, not to market the game (although admitably some companies do treat beta as a demo these days.)

Turdicus
2012-06-26, 11:10 AM
I think that was a pretty lame response, the people who are unhappy are the people who are passionate enough to complain.

And to be fair, we had a good reason to complain as we thought PS1 vet's were'nt being included.

Nah demonicale, I don't mean to be offensive but a few people in this thread just flipped a shit and posted. Passion can often be confused with obsession, two very different things in my opinion. Not that I blame you, if there has to be an obsession I suppose it is best it is about PS2 :D

Hamma knows what he is talking about though, in terms of forum behavior.

ThermalReaper
2012-06-26, 11:11 AM
What exactly do you need from your parents? You are sitting right now at a PC, just get some cash into paypal and buy the key! :D

I don't think you understand, they aren't even convinced that buying the new GPU was a good move. If I even suggest it I'll lose their trust forever. I guess I'll have to be patient.

Kurtz
2012-06-26, 11:11 AM

Lol we have 270 users now because of the announcement. I'll give it to you ;).

I'm just saying that I had no expectations for a beta this summer until Higby said "over the next few weeks".

I know you guys are super careful about what you say because folks like me may hold you to it. I'm glad to know its close, but also glad I didn't plan any vacations around it.

Again, good luck with beta.

Also, an FYI to the rest of you, I was able to take the survey in the US.

I play on a Dual Quad Core Mac Pro (8 cores) running w7 with a 5870 in it. Not exactly your typical gaming machine. Was able to cover it in the system specs but not entirely. I put down Quad series Intel for a chip even though it doesn't accurately describe my machine. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Mastachief
2012-06-26, 11:12 AM
Yes sorry to add to the thread.

I liked the announcement, others i think got too attached to SOON and WEEKS. Just be happy they are making a planetside2.

Well done on the 30days free that's perfect as it reduces the chances of hackers, i know in a company such as SOE this 30days free will have been hard fought for (look at the work required for fish).

./logs into ps1 to farm some AT

Top Sgt
2012-06-26, 11:13 AM
thermal it's just an event put on by PS1 vets for PS1 vets.

let it go.. I myself won't be playing july 1st alot of my outfit will.. but it's no big deal.

PS2 game mechanics are alot different than PS1.. let the vets have their day together.

Don't push your parents.. save that for after PS2 is out and you want to buy some cosmetics etc.

demonicale
2012-06-26, 11:13 AM
Nah demonicale, I don't mean to be offensive but a few people in this thread just flipped a shit and posted. Passion can often be confused with obsession, two very different things in my opinion. Not that I blame you, if there has to be an obsession I suppose it is best it is about PS2 :D

Hamma knows what he is talking about though, in terms of forum behavior.

Yeah your right, i apologize, just don't want everyone thinking the negative comment's were just random trolling or anything :)

Biohazard
2012-06-26, 11:14 AM
Two things:
1) This was an awesome little tidbit to wake up to. Even if I don't get in the first wave, I'm happy that closed beta "effectively started"
2) We need a check on the status of Higby's Hair!

Anderz
2012-06-26, 11:14 AM

There's a difference between being disappointed and being negative. People have the right to express disappointment and can do so without being a toddler about it, which many of us have.

This announcement is disappointing because it's more or less a 1000 word article amounting to just one: "soon." That word has been flaunted for the last few months, and I was hoping it would be left behind with this announcement. Unfortunately not.

Canaris
2012-06-26, 11:15 AM
nutz I'm still waiting for my nvidia 690 GTX to arrive, guess I'll have to use my lesser graphics card for the specs until the badboy gets here.

basti
2012-06-26, 11:15 AM
I don't think you understand, they aren't even convinced that buying the new GPU was a good move. If I even suggest it I'll lose their trust forever. I guess I'll have to be patient.

I really dont understand. What do you need from your parents? what stops you from taking your own cash and buying something via internet?

ringring
2012-06-26, 11:16 AM

Thanks, I did that and it worked ..... but, blurg SoE.

And people, STFU about how disappointed you are, you all sound like typical NC! ;)

Vreki
2012-06-26, 11:16 AM

I just vent to the PS2 frontpage and signed up for the beta with my old SOE account (again).
Previously it would just inform me that I was already signed up, but this time it took me to a survey.

Living in Denmark, btw.

Tigersmith
2012-06-26, 11:17 AM
;) I really can't wait to see you all this weekend. Let's make this the best Planetside event ever

i see you naked
2012-06-26, 11:18 AM
I just vent to the PS2 frontpage and signed up for the beta with my old SOE account (again).
Previously it would just inform me that I was already signed up, but this time it took me to a survey.

Living in Denmark, btw.

no survey for me

entered facebook beta key

Hobitt
2012-06-26, 11:19 AM
no survey for me

entered facebook beta key
Ive got a survey and i entered a key from twitter also im from eastern europe and no errors at all

Lazaruz
2012-06-26, 11:19 AM
"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

Also... The beta will come at some point, in the mean time, enjoy the summer.

ThermalReaper
2012-06-26, 11:20 AM
I really dont understand. What do you need from your parents? what stops you from taking your own cash and buying something via internet?

EDIT: You know what, I'm going to look around and see if there are any jobs...

RadarX
2012-06-26, 11:20 AM
There's a difference between being disappointed and being negative. People have the right to express disappointment and can do so without being a toddler about it, which many of us have.

This announcement is disappointing because it's more or less a 1000 word article amounting to just one: "soon." That word has been flaunted for the last few months, and I was hoping it would be left behind with this announcement. Unfortunately not.

I do know some folks are disappointed and I honestly wish we could have set reasonable expectations when communicating. To be fair, all we promised was an announcement regarding Beta. This is effectively our Closed Beta announcement. It's unlikely we'll announce "Hey we let X number of folks in" and dates are just not something that happens in modern game development. A date is a commitment and we take them seriously.

i see you naked
2012-06-26, 11:21 AM
Ive got a survey and i entered a key from twitter also im from eastern europe and no errors at all

entered my key 2 weeks ago

clicking on the sign up for beta button right now

site tells me im already sign up

no survey, nothing

duomaxwl
;) I really can't wait to see you all this weekend. Let's make this the best Planetside event ever

For real.
I took off work for this. People don't eat pizza on Sundays anyway. :cool:

demonicale
"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

Also... The beta will come at some point, in the mean time, enjoy the summer.

Yeah i intend to now, i'm due on holiday july 7th so now i'll look to that instead :)

Synapses
2012-06-26, 11:22 AM
So... This was not really an announcement about Beta... and it was it was an just to confirm our already been told time frame of "Soon".

It is great that everyone is getting free 30 days... but I literally just resubscribed. Oh well.

*sigh* I was really hoping for a date, and really hoping closed beta wouldnt be starting with scheduled times as... well I very rarely have much time to play unless its late evenings.

ZeroArmada
2012-06-26, 11:23 AM
I do know some folks are disappointed and I honestly wish we could have set reasonable expectations when communicating. To be fair, all we promised was an announcement regarding Beta. This is effectively our Closed Beta announcement. It's unlikely we'll announce "Hey we let X number of folks in" and dates are just not something that happens in modern game development. A date is a commitment and we take them seriously.

The fact that you confirmed that Closed Beta will be starting is enought to make me happy. Thank you! :)

maskedskull
I got a survey. Clicked on the sign up for beta button, entered my SOE account details and the survey was on the page that followed. UK based.

Xyntech
I can't believe people aren't able to read between the lines.

It's no longer "soon," It's "The beta has officially started, but we're not going to tell you because NDA's and we don't want people who haven't gotten in yet to start raging."

We already knew that not all vets and PCGamer people would get in at the same instant. It will be a ramp up process where these players will trickle in over the next few weeks.

But mark RadarX's words, it has begun. That's as official as we will ever get, until they announce the date of open beta, because closed beta is not getting an official date. This is the date though. It starts today. He practically has said as much, which is as much as he can do.

Furber
2012-06-26, 11:24 AM
I have a question, what of the PS1 Vets who also got PC Gamer keys? Where do they stand in the priority pool: with the ps1 vets first priority, or did they actually get pushed down by getting a pc gamer key?

i see you naked
I got a survey. Clicked on the sign up for beta button, entered my SOE account details and the survey was on the page that followed. UK based.

u have planetside 1 or not?

i dont

ringring
entered my key 2 weeks ago

clicking on the sign up for beta button right now

site tells me im already sign up

no survey, nothing
Change your browser lannguage to English(US), close and reopen. That worked for me.

helioN
2012-06-26, 11:25 AM
Just bought PS1 (with 30 days sub)@ 8 quids.

i see you naked
I can't believe people aren't able to read through the lines.

It's no longer "soon," It's "The beta has officially started, but we're not going to tell you because NDA's and we don't want people who haven't gotten in yet to start raging."

We already knew that not all vets and PCGamer people would get in at the same instant. It will be a ramp up process where these players will trickle in over the next few weeks.

But mark RadarX's words, it has begun. That's as official as we will ever get, until they announce the date of open beta, because closed beta is not getting an official date. This is the date though. It starts today. He practically has said as much, which is as much as he can do.

lol he never said beta has begun

Synapses

You guys did not announce anything about closed beta... All you said was "Its coming after our next internal phase". Right?

i see you naked
Change your browser lannguage to English(US), close and reopen. That worked for me.

how to do that

maskedskull
2012-06-26, 11:26 AM
u have planetside 1 or not?

i dont

I have a currently active Planetside 1 account but it is not the same as the account I had when I signed up for the beta as I only recently realised that I still had the old account and had some free playtime on it. So the fact you don't have PS1 means nothing when it comes to the survey

Hobitt
2012-06-26, 11:28 AM
Never had planetside,entered a key from twitter but still got a survey

Xyntech
2012-06-26, 11:28 AM
lol he never said beta has begun

He said that this is the announcement of beta, and that they wouldn't ever be giving us official dates for when x players would get in.

Combine this with the fact that we already knew that vets and PCGamer key players wouldn't all get in at once and would be trickling in, and it's pretty obvious that today is the start of beta.

Whether that means today is the first day they start up the servers but it will still be a week or so before the first outside players are allowed in, or if it means that a few players are being let in at this very moment is irrelevant. They are now out of alpha and the beta has officially begun. We will never know with more certainty than that unless we are some of the first people to get in, but he has as good as made it official.

i see you naked
2012-06-26, 11:29 AM
ok got it aswell,

survey does not work for germans LMAO

BigBossMonkey
2012-06-26, 11:30 AM

So we should be expecting invites in approximately 1-2 Soons(TM)

i see you naked
2012-06-26, 11:30 AM
He said that this is the announcement of beta, and that they wouldn't ever be giving us official dates for when x players would get in.

Combine this with the fact that we already knew that vets and PCGamer key players wouldn't all get in at once and would be trickling in, and it's pretty obvious that today is the start of beta.

Whether that means today is the first day they start up the servers but it will still be a week or so before the first outside players are allowed in, or if it means that a few players are being let in at this very moment is irrelevant. They are now out of alpha and the beta has officially begun. We will never know with more certainty than that unless we are some of the first people to get in, but he has as good as made it official.

dude, if anyone gets in the beta right now it would be posted on reddit or some other sites regardless of NDA or not

DarkChiron
2012-06-26, 11:32 AM
You guys did not announce anything about closed beta... All you said was "Its coming after our next internal phase". Right?

Read what he said here. Figure it out.

I think the Announcement was a little too subtle for most people. Then they didn't see the email in their Inbox saying "Hey man come get your beta client!" and they just start raging.

Frankly, I would kind of like things to be less cloak-and-dagger regarding testing but I understand that in a closed beta situation it's just not possible. I think the not knowing is making people a little antsy.

Anderz
Thanks for the reply Radar. I realize the predicament you're in regarding what you can and what you can't promise, but perhaps next time SOE have an announcement of this type, just let it be announced without the forewarning. That way expectations are not hugely inflated like they were after Smedley's tweet. I realise this is hardly your fault, but maybe it's something worth conveying back to the team.

The internet (especially social media) is a double edged sword like that; consumers are actually party to too much information these days, and when it stops flowing, it's like coming off a drug.

But there is a positive side to this: Even if people like myself are disappointed, at least we're invested. We just really want the game! Heck, if this announcement didn't disappoint people, it'd be greater cause for concern!

Sabrak
I don't get why people want dates when most gaming companies usually don't hold their promises for a date they formerly gave.

I'd rather have a message from SOE and RadarX telling us that things are advancing and that closed beta will start in a short time, than have them tell us "it'll start next week" before they inform us that due to some random problem they need to delay closed beta for a few days/weeks.

Or worse, that they launch the closed beta at the promised date with nothing working, just like it happened for the first Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend Event.

Xyntech
dude, if anyone gets in the beta right now it would be posted on reddit or some other sites

The day is young.

Besides, there have been people trolling that they have already gotten into beta for a while now. They would need to provide proof to convince people, and that proof would probably make it that much easier for a lot of them to get kicked out of beta for breaking NDA.

We'll see how the day and week pans out. Like I said, just because beta begins today doesn't mean players have to be getting in now, just that this is as official a word as we are going to get that players could be getting in as soon as today.

basti
2012-06-26, 11:33 AM
dude, if anyone gets in the beta right now it would be posted on reddit or some other sites regardless of NDA or not

Depens on who gets in. Not everyone needs to brag and understands what happens if One guy gets in, but some other guy doesnt. :)

Hatchak
2012-06-26, 11:33 AM
basti i had the same problem but with the english version, was using firefox, i opened the site on google chrome and it worked.

Geist
2012-06-26, 11:34 AM

Don't sweat it. We know how chaotic the development process is(some of us anyway :| ), and despite the fact that a lot of people have unreasonable expectations, most of us appreciate all the hard work you guys do.

Even if you don't release Beta for another 6 months, no worries. You know what's best for your game and anyone who thinks they're entitled to Beta STFU, because your embrassing yourselves.

Btw, thank you for the extra PS1 time. Really wanted to go to Planetside Day but a little strapped for cash atm, so this is just perfect. :D

RadarX
2012-06-26, 11:34 AM
So we should be expecting invites in approximately 1-2 Soons(TM)

If you want to get super technical it should be approximately 1.38 Soons(TM).

duomaxwl
2012-06-26, 11:36 AM
Besides, there have been people trolling that they have already gotten into beta for a while now.

I actually made a Planetside 2 Beta shortcut on my desktop back when I posted on the "Show your Desktop" topic months ago and nobody caught it. :lol:

Anderz
2012-06-26, 11:38 AM
I don't get why people want dates when most gaming companies usually don't hold their promises for a date they formerly gave.

I'd rather have a message from SOE and RadarX telling us that things are advancing and that closed beta will start in a short time, than have them tell us "it'll start next week" before they inform us that due to some random problem they need to delay closed beta for a few days/weeks.

Or worse, that they launch the closed beta at the promised date with nothing working, just like it happened for the first Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend Event.

A date, whether it's met or not, at least quells the rampant speculation that comes from not setting a date. Obviously, not meeting the deadline can be a PR nightmare, but personally, I'd much rather the one-off disappointment of them missing a set date than the months spent wondering whether it will be today, tomorrow or a month away.

Xyntech
2012-06-26, 11:39 AM

Oh noes! Now there is going to be a ragefest when a minor delay crops up and it ends up being 1.39 Soons(TM).

I hope I can get in by 3.37 Soons(TM), because I'll officially go crazy if I have to wait 3.371 Soons(TM) or longer.

Brb, changing all of my clocks to Soon(TM) time. That's GMT -A Bit(TM), right?

TheRagingGerbil
2012-06-26, 11:39 AM

RadarX wins the thread! LOL.

i see you naked
2012-06-26, 11:40 AM
we are looking forward to launch the beta in month XXXX

would be enough, even the worst company can handle such dates, i dont have to point out specific games which did that, do i?

MyMeatStick
2012-06-26, 11:44 AM
So wait, was this the "Big announcement" Smedley was talking about a few days ago?

Krawanan
2012-06-26, 11:45 AM
so to be clear, you are never going to announce when you'll start giving out invites?

im really confused right now xD

NewSith
2012-06-26, 11:45 AM

Now all I need to do is find that reddit message...

Canaris
2012-06-26, 11:46 AM

well played sir :D

Xyntech
2012-06-26, 11:46 AM

would be enough, even the worst company can handle such dates, i dont have to point out specific games which did that, do i?

You assume that time commitments are their only concern. People getting butthurt because they are a vet and a PCGamer key holder was randomly selected to get in slightly ahead of them would just be unneeded bitching. Also, if they hit a snag with the first batch or two that they let in, they may have to close down the beta for a few days or weeks to work something out.

They have a lot of good reasons to not let us know anything too specific. But we know that the process starts now, so that's a lot more "soon" than just a vague, multi-month long "soon."

It's starting. Be happy. Just don't get too excited, because even if someone gets in this very day, it still could be a couple months before they let you or me specifically in. But we already knew that would be the case.

Sabrak
2012-06-26, 11:51 AM
A date, whether it's met or not, at least quells the rampant speculation that comes from not setting a date. Obviously, not meeting the deadline can be a PR nightmare, but personally, I'd much rather the one-off disappointment of them missing a set date than the months spent wondering whether it will be today, tomorrow or a month away.

Well, that's your point of view. I don't share it, though.

I'd rather have a vague idea than wait for a date that might not be respected.
I rage much more if a date is pushed back than to just wait for an email.

Everyone takes the situation differently, uh.

In one, single, word.

Valve.

Even great companies can mess up with their dates.

Stardouser
2012-06-26, 11:53 AM

A lot of people don't know that. What people who don't know any better expect, is to see things like "next week on July 2 our Internal Tests conclude and we invite our first 500 external testers", or "by July 20 we will add another 1000 external testers".

Basically, everyone needs to temper their expectations - specific dates like that will not be given. Note that I am not disappointed, because I knew to expect this. I'm simply pointing out that most people don't know to expect this. It's not too late, by the way, to make a specific statement explaining this...perhaps on the PS2 facebook? In fact, what you wrote above, is exactly what people need to hear. Could possibly prevent another month or more of people asking for dates, thinking you guys are just being unresponsive. Better now than later!

And at least to me, considering how VERY responsive you guys have been in explaining your vision for the game, unlike some companies who treat game development as cloak and dagger and won't share even the least bit about their vision, it would only be an even greater credit to your openness to go ahead and proactively explain this to everyone.

maddoggg
2012-06-26, 11:53 AM
Damn they for making me feel even worse that i am not a ps1 vet :(

aceshigh
2012-06-26, 11:54 AM
We are at the event horizon of the PS2 beta. We will continue to get infinitely closer to it while never quite reaching it. At least to the outside observer.

NewSith
2012-06-26, 11:54 AM
In conclusion:

The game is now "in external beta" as opposed to "in internal beta".
For those with more or less NDA experience it means much.

Also it seems, like they aren't idd going to announce the invite times. This info will be spread inbetween players.

Biohazard
2012-06-26, 11:56 AM
We are at the event horizon of the PS2 beta. We will continue to get infinitely closer to it while never quite reaching it. At least to the outside observer.

That is a very poetic way of putting it. :lol:

Pella
2012-06-26, 11:56 AM
Great news. People need a little more patients now :)

RadarX
2012-06-26, 11:57 AM
A lot of people don't know that. What people who don't know any better expect, is to see things like "next week on July 2 our Internal Tests conclude and we invite our first 500 external testers", or "by July 20 we will add another 1000 external testers".

Basically, everyone needs to temper their expectations - specific dates like that will not be given. Note that I am not disappointed, because I knew to expect this. I'm simply pointing out that most people don't know to expect this. It's not too late, by the way, to make a specific statement explaining this...perhaps on the PS2 facebook? In fact, what you wrote above, is exactly what people need to hear. Could possibly prevent another month or more of people asking for dates, thinking you guys are just being unresponsive. Better now than later!

And at least to me, considering how VERY responsive you guys have been in explaining your vision for the game, unlike some companies who treat game development as cloak and dagger, it would only be an even greater credit to your openness to go ahead and proactively explain this to everyone.

And helping set expectations is exactly why I'm here posting and trying to help. This type of candor is more on a personal level and not something I can necessarily do on FB but do know I'm watching it.

fvdham
2012-06-26, 11:58 AM
I was considering resubscribing PS today,
now I hear there is a free period comming up,
I am wondering: subscribe now or wait.
But wait for when?

NewSith
2012-06-26, 11:59 AM
But wait for when?

Hint: Follow the link in the OP.

ThermalReaper
2012-06-26, 12:01 PM
And helping set expectations is exactly why I'm here posting and trying to help. This type of candor is more on a personal level and not something I can necessarily do on FB but do know I'm watching it.

I would just like to point your attention that you should avoid not giving dates as it was the reason most people abandoned world of tanks. They kept postponing and not giving solid dates and in the end most people just said screw 6.9 and left.
I am aware that you are doing all you can, but I just wanted to give a notification.

Xyntech
2012-06-26, 12:02 PM
But wait for when?

You will be able to play by the 1st of July, or else the whole idea kind of falls apart.

But I'd guess we'll probably be able to get in within the next few days. At least by Friday I am guessing.

I wonder how many players will come back? That would be kind of hilarious if there were too many players for one server to handle :D

I would just like to point your attention that you should avoid not giving dates as it was the reason most people abandoned world of tanks. They kept postponing and not giving solid dates and in the end most people just said screw 6.9 and left.

They will probably give an open beta date once they feel confident that they can have the game ready by then.

Sturmhardt
2012-06-26, 12:02 PM
Great news. People need a little more patients now :)

Yes, Im a doctor, I always need new patients! :doh:

@topic:
Those "news" are practically all bad. They pretty much say that they are in the internal beta (what everybody already knew) and that its gonna take a while till closed beta. Normally I would apreciate the information, but I dont like it because they had this strange "announcement" last week and I was actually looking forward to good news. Now I got bad news.

An announcement of upcoming news is good if you have GOOD news, if you have bad news, just dont say anything before spreading them, okay? That way, everyone is disappointed.

NewSith
2012-06-26, 12:03 PM
I would just like to point your attention that you should avoid not giving dates as it was the reason most people abandoned world of tanks.

Can you give 10 examples of games that had the first wave of invites announced 1+ months (hell even, 3+ weeks) before the event?

ThermalReaper
2012-06-26, 12:05 PM
Fuu, I'm sorry I don't know why I posted that. I'm a little stupid after a shower.

MrBloodworth
Thanks for the free time!

I have been thinking of jumping back into the fray, but feared low populations. This should help.

SztEltviz
What if i got two computers that i can use?
Anyway, i entered the lower specs, maybe that brings me faster into beta, as everybody else has nuclear plants as gaming machine :)

Envenom
2012-06-26, 12:07 PM
I'm a giddy as a school girl.

Sephirex
2012-06-26, 12:07 PM
So Beta is starting, just sooner then before?
Just going to stop thinking about it until I get my e-mail.

Glad I bought Secret World after all, so I can kill the time.

Raven Wolf
2012-06-26, 12:08 PM
Questions:

1.) Will how long someone has subscribed play a factor in who gets in to beta first? The reason I ask that I have heard some hostility from people who are 6 + year subscribers and are upset about sabers being given to people with less than a year played and nothing for 7, 8 or 9th year merit.

2.) When I signed up for beta I do not ever remember submitting my PC specs and the producers note says they will be going off those where do we submit those or update them?

TheRagingGerbil
2012-06-26, 12:08 PM
Yes, Im a doctor, I always need new patients! :doh:

@topic:
Those "news" are practically all bad. They pretty much say that they are in the internal beta (what everybody already knew) and that its gonna take a while till closed beta. Normally I would apreciate the information, but I dont like it because they had this strange "announcement" last week and I was actually looking forward to good news. Now I got bad news.

An announcement of upcoming news is good if you have GOOD news, if you have bad news, just dont say anything before spreading them, okay? That way, everyone is disappointed.

Free 30days of PS1 and news of escalating beta is not good? Wow...

Ieyasu
2012-06-26, 12:09 PM
I always hate it when these guys say things to the effect of "we're doing this for the fans"

no you arent. you are doing it for a profit and to make money. If you were doing it for fans you wouldnt even have microtransactions everything would just be free.

hopefully this wasnt the announcement Smed was talking about. Weve already heard "soon" plenty of times.

though I must admit the 30 days of ps1 playtime is newsworthy.

McWrath
2012-06-26, 12:09 PM
I didn't get the computer-spec. survey that was supposed to show up when you sign in to SOE (I had already entered a beta key weeks ago). I was originally using chrome, and switched to IE, and it worked. I hope that helps those having issues.

TacosWLove
2012-06-26, 12:10 PM
So it was an beta announcement about future announcements about beta... :(

BUT the PS1 free 30days totally makes up for it!!! PS day here we come :D Been getting sick of Tanks anyways and Eves been alil slow..

NewSith
2012-06-26, 12:13 PM
1.) Will how long someone has subscribed play a factor in who gets in to beta first? The reason I ask that I have heard some hostility from people who are 6 + year subscribers and are upset about sabers being given to people with less than a year played and nothing for 7, 8 or 9th year merit.

I don't think people, with that type of thinking actually deserve to be amongst the CBT vanguard.

2.) When I signed up for beta I do not ever remember submitting my PC specs and the producers note says they will be going off those where do we submit those or update them?

Search this thread for "mozilla".

ThermalReaper
2012-06-26, 12:13 PM
Alright, final post on this thread. Everyone be patient, I'm sorry for that stupid last post, beta is coming, have fun with planetside 1.

Xyntech
2012-06-26, 12:16 PM
What if i got two computers that i can use?
Anyway, i entered the lower specs, maybe that brings me faster into beta, as everybody else has nuclear plants as gaming machine :)

I haven't gotten my new build yet (waiting for beta to see how real world specs measure up), so I entered my honest, current, sub par specs as well. I'm sincerely hoping it doesn't delay me getting in too much. They gotta test out some older hardware as well, right?

Sephirex
2012-06-26, 12:17 PM
So it was an beta announcement about future announcements about beta... :(

BUT the PS1 free 30days totally makes up for it!!! PS day here we come :D Been getting sick of Tanks anyways and Eves been alil slow..

There pretty much will be no future announcements about Beta from what I can tell.

That WAS the beta announcement.

Invites will be coming but they will be private and under NDA.

Goku
2012-06-26, 12:18 PM
I haven't gotten my new build yet (waiting for beta to see how real world specs measure up), so I entered my honest, current, sub par specs as well. I'm sincerely hoping it doesn't delay me getting in too much. They gotta test out some older hardware as well, right?

I would assume SOE wants low end to high end rigs to actually see how all this performs to get proper feedback. Just have rigs with a six core i7 and sli GTX 680 really isn't the best way to test a game.

BillyBob
2012-06-26, 12:19 PM
Sounds good to me, thanks Hamma for posting! :)

/BB

Greeniegriz
2012-06-26, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the announcement and the free time guys!

Cheers,

GG

rTekku
2012-06-26, 12:21 PM
Dice didn't give out a date for BF3's actual closed beta... The BF3 "Beta" you're refering too was more of a pre-release promotional demo. Guild wars 2 "Beta week-ends for pre-orders" (DEMO) had a date, their closed beta didn't. The secret world didnt' have a date for their closed beta aswell.

Regardless of what you think it was, it was a beta according to DICE.

No point in you naming what games didn't have a beta. I can name just as many that did have betas with specific dates being announced. There are plenty of games out there on both PC and Consoles that have scheduled beta tests.

Crazyduckling
2012-06-26, 12:22 PM
Its really disappointing to see so many people whine about this. Its not a big deal.

Why do people think they deserve more?

neonlazer
2012-06-26, 12:22 PM
I always hate it when these guys say things to the effect of "we're doing this for the fans"

no you arent. you are doing it for a profit and to make money. If you were doing it for fans you wouldnt even have microtransactions everything would just be free.

Ok, join the dev team and make them do everything free..and don't complain about not having a paid job. :rolleyes: Use common sense people!

MrBloodworth
2012-06-26, 12:23 PM
What was the cut off date to be considered a "Vet" for reasons of auto-beta invite?

I knew it, then forgot.

wraithverge
2012-06-26, 12:24 PM
people are too negative. We have gone from soon, whenever it's ready to we have to do hardware and optimization checks. Can this be done quickly? Yes, could they instead find bugs with certain graphics cards/processors that sets them back a month or more to track? yes. At least we have an idea where we are at now though.:rolleyes:

Thanks guys, you had my hopes up with the letter of the week is B comment, but at least now I know it will be at least a week longer.

However I figured I should toss this out there as letting us know sooner rather then later will forestall issues if going over a few.;)

XKCD defines "a few" (http://xkcd.com/1070/)

Stew
2012-06-26, 12:26 PM
So finally No specifics Beta release date or phase we just know whats we already know mostly :( i was expecting really interesting new based on smedley tweet i was maybe to pump :(

it fell like it will be in end of july or something to have the first few waves of invites !

Sephirex
2012-06-26, 12:28 PM
Regardless of what you think it was, it was a beta according to DICE.

That was an open, game's almost ready, Beta....

No one talks about their initial closed beta testing.

I'm sure we'll see announcements again as they approach open beta, but it looks they're going for the stealth mode, NDA approach to initial closed beta that is the standard for most companies.

Stew
2012-06-26, 12:30 PM
people are too negative. We have gone from soon, whenever it's ready to we have to do hardware and optimization checks. Can this be done quickly? Yes, could they instead find bugs with certain graphics cards/processors that sets them back a month or more to track? yes. At least we have an idea where we are at now though.:rolleyes:

Thanks guys, you had my hopes up with the letter of the week is B comment, but at least now I know it will be at least a week longer.

However I figured I should toss this out there as letting us know sooner rather then later will forestall issues if going over a few.;)

XKCD defines "a few" (http://xkcd.com/1070/)

i expect this process to take around 3 to 5 weeks at least so yeah its pretty sad for those of us who were expecting the BETA to be release in these upcoming weeks like early july end of june !

And also they confirme not everyones Ps1 vets will get in in the first waves just a fews and fews Pc gamers priority codes as well !

so it mean many people here will not get into the beta until september or something like this . . .

Poser
2012-06-26, 12:32 PM
So finally No specifics Beta release date or phase we just know whats we already know mostly :( i was expecting really interesting new based on smedley tweet i was maybe to pump :(

it fell like it will be in end of july or something to have the first few waves of invites !

All the PR for this game has been bad. I just feel toyed with. I really hope enduring all this silly-ness will be worth it.

Malorn
2012-06-26, 12:33 PM
I wonder if one of the goals of PlanetSide day is to get a ballpark estimate on the number of PS1 vets that are around and paying attention that would participate in PS2 beta.

:tinfoilhat:

Ieyasu
2012-06-26, 12:34 PM
Ok, join the dev team and make them do everything free..and don't complain about not having a paid job. :rolleyes: Use common sense people!

hey im not saying theyre being assholes, or that I could do a better job, Im just stating the facts.

I would be blown away if there was one member of the dev team that was "taking one for the team" and working without recieving a paycheck for it.

just play it out in your head "higby, we think youre great, but were going to need to you to work without being paid" his resposne would be something along the lines of "later then guys"

this isnt a mod being made for a game out of someones bedroom for love of the game. these are professional game designers who are in the buisness to make money.

Im just as excited for PS2 as ahyone else, but that doesnt mean my heads in the sand with regards to comments like this.

ringring
2012-06-26, 12:34 PM
RadarX, you have my respect.
:)

The Degenatron
2012-06-26, 12:36 PM
Am I the only one who's super-jazzed about this announcement?

One thing that should be remembered by all is that problems happen. They don't give out dates because you just don't know if everything is going to fall into place like it should or not. It likely will not.

It's totally possible that they may find something in their current round of closed beta that makes them go back to the drawing board on specific issues - things like collision glitches that wreck game play or assets that show major visual problems. There's no point in going to the next phase when something turns out the be really broken bad.

And that only gets amplified on the next round: the stress test phase. Everything that was under evaluation now gets looked at under maximum stress conditions. It's like putting a car on a dynamo and taking it up to full throttle in increments. Just because everything looks good on paper doesn't mean it's going to work like it should at 5000 rpms. That process alone can shake out some major problems that can be HUGE: things that worked fine with 100 players on the server fall to crap with 500 (and you're aiming at 2000, so now you're in BIG trouble).

Only after all that has passed QA can the open beta begin.

To me, the possibility that this thing could be in beta before 2013 is absolutely amazing.

JointReef
2012-06-26, 12:37 PM
Strange, signed up to beta ages ago, So wanted put system specs on.. tryed on Chrome said i was already registered, tryed IE9 same again, Why did i have to download firefox log in with my station account for it to take system specs?

Didnt really want install firefox just for the sole purpose of making sure i got my system specs in lol.

RadarX
2012-06-26, 12:39 PM
I wonder if one of the goals of PlanetSide day is to get a ballpark estimate on the number of PS1 vets that are around and paying attention that would participate in PS2 beta.

:tinfoilhat:

The goal is honestly to support PlanetSide Day and get you guys in for some nostalgic game play.

Stew
All the PR for this game has been bad. I just feel toyed with. I really hope enduring all this silly-ness will be worth it.

Yeah i think this kind of hipe hurt people and make them angry more than serve the (( hipe itself )) of the game ... If you ask me i dont really like all thats because i dont know if it will serve the game well !

I think its better to send out beta key when you can actually log in rigth away and play it as soon as you have a Beta key

I dont undestand the way they did thats ive never seen it before having to reddeem a key and then wait to get a invite .. its kinda weird

Whats the point for people who register on planetside 2.com hopping for a beta key

and what about those who get the key at E3 2012 and on twitter when they will realise they will not get in the beta until november 2012 maybe ..

I really dont get how it could be good for the game but thats my own interpretation of it

Hope they know whats they are doing

Cant wait to play it anyway just hope it will not turn off many people

Ieyasu
Strange, signed up to beta ages ago, So wanted put system specs on.. tryed on Chrome said i was already registered, tryed IE9 same again, Why did i have to download firefox log in with my station account for it to take system specs?

Didnt really want install firefox just for the sole purpose of making sure i got my system specs in lol.

just worked for me on IE9 when I choose signup and logged into my account. said I was already registerd and had a link to click for survey.

Poser
2012-06-26, 12:40 PM
To me, the possibility that this thing could be in beta before 2013 is absolutely amazing.

What? I'm pretty sure they are targeting a Fall release date...

Geist
2012-06-26, 12:41 PM
The goal is honestly to support PlanetSide Day and get you guys in for some nostalgic game play.

I honestly support you using Planetside Day to determine how many PS1 Vets are active. It don't think it would upset anyone at all if you did so.

Ieyasu
2012-06-26, 12:43 PM

and it is much appreciated.

theres alot of people who love PlanetSide and would like to log in to play on the 1st, but dont feel like dropping 15$ over it.

I was going to resub, but wanted to wait till friday in the hopes you guys would open it up as you have.

Sorry Goku, saw you resubbed just in past couple days for the 1st... still worth the 15$ if you play for a few hours which Im sure you will. Hell people can hardly see a 2 hour movie without dropping 10-12$ anymore so value wise there are worse deals out there.

Goku
2012-06-26, 12:45 PM
What? I'm pretty sure they are targeting a Fall release date...

I think Higby said back in E3 "with in the year". I'm thinking winter at the earliest. I don't want this game rushed.

If I was expecting a sub renewal I wouldn't of rushed resubbing. Its not a big deal, just sucks when it happens lol.

Xyntech
2012-06-26, 12:47 PM
Woooo Planetside Day!

Anyone who's not excited for the biggest Planetside event in years is a fuddy duddy and a stick in the mud.

I can understand people who had unreasonable expectations being a little sad, but get over it. Beta is fucking imminent. We'll all be partaking in it Soon(TM), and the waiting will be a distant memory.

JointReef
2012-06-26, 12:48 PM
just worked for me on IE9 when I choose signup and logged into my account. said I was already registerd and had a link to click for survey.

Strange tried this multiple times on IE9 and chrome cos I never really liked firefox but just couldn't get it appear just said "you are already registered please up date your station account if you have changed your email"

Synapses
2012-06-26, 12:49 PM
When did the survey requesting system specifications show up?

AThreatToYou
2012-06-26, 12:51 PM
Anyones PS1 gametime active yet? Not sure when this week that's going to be up.

The Kush
2012-06-26, 12:53 PM
When did the survey requesting system specifications show up?

recently because i never took it. i just went and clicked sign up again and filled out the survey. hamma should edit the op and tell people how to do this

basti
2012-06-26, 12:56 PM
Higby says maybe tommorow, but he isnt sure.

http://dk.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/vmr2s/beta_launch_info/c55ttl3?context=3

Xyntech
2012-06-26, 12:59 PM
Higby says maybe tommorow, but he isnt sure.

http://dk.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/vmr2s/beta_launch_info/c55ttl3?context=3

Sweetness. I can live on extreme vagueness, but it's always nicer the more specific they can be.

Thanks Higby, and thanks for all of the feedback RadarX. You guys rock.

Edit: Also thanks for the link basti

Bags
2012-06-26, 01:01 PM
So people who just resubbed will be refunded, right?