PDA

View Full Version : Lancer is back?

Zulthus
2012-06-28, 05:07 PM
I'm probably super late here but I just found out in /c chat about this picture. I was convinced the Lancer was axed out in place of the Fission, but apparently not.

http://vanu-sovereignty.com/gallery/m/5494108/detail/70757#pid=602052

Basti said it was weeks old info but I couldn't find anything on search, so..

Did we already know about this?

Sephirex
2012-06-28, 05:08 PM
That's an interesting spelling of material in the weapon title. Is it misspelled or just a spelling I'm not familiar with?

Xaine
2012-06-28, 05:09 PM
I didn't know that, but me and you might be sitting in the ignorant bus with the rest of the fools. :P

Infernalis
2012-06-28, 05:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-materiel
Nope it's not misspelled.

Xaine
2012-06-28, 05:14 PM
Spelleg is over-rated.

Sephirex
2012-06-28, 05:19 PM
Nope it's not misspelled.

Thank you. That's fascinating, I had no idea there were two separate words!

Infernalis
2012-06-28, 05:23 PM
Is this sarcasm?

Sephirex
2012-06-28, 05:26 PM
Is this sarcasm?

No. I didn't know material referred to building materials while there was another word materiel that referred to war resources.

There are people willing to learn new things on the internet. I know they're rare.

bullet
2012-06-28, 06:03 PM
There are people willing to learn new things on the internet. I know they're rare.

BAHAHAHA!

Thats the best quote ever.

OT: Woot for my Lancer.

Xyntech
2012-06-28, 06:11 PM
My bet is that it's just a variant of the Fission. But I don't necessarily take that as a bad thing, because we've heard that there will be dumb fire variants of the ES lockon AV guns.

My only concern is if they make it travel slow like a Decimator. The Lancer needs to be a weaker gun than something like the Decimator, but fire faster projectiles.

As long as we get the Lancer back in it's appropriate function, I don't really care if it looks like a fish gun (I actually like the way the Fission looks a lot). Otherwise, I'll be a very disappointed bittervet (in this one regard).

I was just playing around with the Lancer again today. That gun is so much fucking fun.

Braveliltoaster
2012-06-28, 06:15 PM
jackhammer, lasher, mcg are also back, they are heavy assault weapons and fire from the hip now...

Zulthus
2012-06-28, 06:18 PM
jackhammer, lasher, mcg are also back, they are heavy assault weapons and fire from the hip now...

That's extremely old information though. Already known.

Furber
2012-06-28, 06:30 PM
I think it will probably be some kind of variant of the Fission. Odds are there will be some kind of dumb fire like the Decimator, this could be the new lancer. Don't get your hopes up for the powerful instant-hit old lancer making a return though, I doubt it would be balanced against the much squishier vehicles in Planetside 2.

Sephirex
2012-06-28, 06:39 PM
squishier vehicles in Planetside 2.

A lot of assumptions made on the future of this game based on damage ratios from an alpha build. No wonder devs hate to share information.

Shade Millith
2012-06-28, 07:06 PM
My only concern is if they make it travel slow like a Decimator. The Lancer needs to be a weaker gun than something like the Decimator, but fire faster projectiles.

Unlikely.

1) IT'll piss off every VS vet.
2) Their calling it an Anti-material Rifle, which was just what the Lancer was in PS1.

I think it will probably be some kind of variant of the Fission. Odds are there will be some kind of dumb fire like the Decimator, this could be the new lancer. Don't get your hopes up for the powerful instant-hit old lancer making a return though, I doubt it would be balanced against the much squishier vehicles in Planetside 2.

Lancer was never instant hit. You had both the charge up, and the travel time of the projectile to take into account. While it was quick, you still had to lead targets, even tanks.

Pyreal
2012-06-28, 11:26 PM
Well, 'anti-matter' is pretty much copyrighted by Star Trek, so they needed something else 'anti'.

QuantumMechanic
2012-06-28, 11:40 PM
Yeah this surfaced during or shortly after E3. I think it's a pretty safe bet we'll be seeing the original AV weapons return, although most likely different than what we're used to.

The sheer selection of weapons in PS2 already appears to be staggering as compared to PS1. Might as well re-do the original weapons, it makes for more guns to choose from.

Shade Millith
2012-06-29, 03:22 AM
Well, 'anti-matter' is pretty much copyrighted by Star Trek, so they needed something else 'anti'.

An Anti-Materiel Rifle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-materiel_rifle) is a real thing.

And a hell of a lot of other games/movies use antimatter. I don't understand what you're going for there.

Xyntech
2012-06-29, 08:08 AM
Having the Lancer, Striker and Pheonix operate so entirely differently in PS1 was fun for variety, but pretty silly for practical balancing purposes. They all filled such radically different niches under the anti vehicular umbrella.

I recall them saying that in PS2, all 3 empires Heavy Assault troopers would get some form of lockon AV gun, dumb fire AV gun, and guided AV gun.

Maybe for the dumb fire, the VS will get the Lancer, the NC will get some updated form of the Decimator, and the TR will get a slightly more anti vehicular version of the Rocklet.

Geist
2012-06-29, 08:33 AM
Maybe for the dumb fire, the VS will get the Lancer, the NC will get some updated form of the Decimator, and the TR will get a slightly more anti vehicular version of the Rocklet.

That would really just be a Dumb-fire Stryker(although an option to shoot all of the missiles quickly like the PS1 rocklet would be pretty cool. ;)

Anyone have a picture of the TR or NC HA AV Certs? Maybe we'll get some hints from the names.

sylphaen
2012-06-29, 08:40 AM

Balance wise, what could they work on ? Fire rate, accuracy, projectile speed, magazine size, reload time ?

The only thing that matters is that if the Lancer in PS2 is as good as in PS1, those NC rockets would hit reaaaally hard. And have triple-shot.
>.<