PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else's SOE username ridiculous?

Razicator
2012-06-28, 08:03 PM
WHen I first registered for Planetside, a bunch of X's surrounding your name was all the rage... all I can say about that. I get ashamed every time I log in :)

Sephirex
2012-06-28, 08:04 PM
WHen I first registered for Planetside, a bunch of X's surrounding your name was all the rage... all I can say about that. I get ashamed every time I log in :)

It's still all the rage.......

Pella
2012-06-28, 08:06 PM
Back in the day all caps where cool. AKAPELLA.

Now tapatalk sig is :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Razicator
2012-06-28, 08:07 PM
It's still all the rage.......

Oh trust me, today's nothing compared to the back in the days of classic Runescape. There's a lot more 4/20 references now, and Legolas/Gimli was huge a few years ago.

Sephirex
2012-06-28, 08:11 PM
Oh man how could I forget about Runescape, one of the grandfathers of F2P.

Conq
2012-06-28, 08:13 PM
Don't forget about the terrible Dragon Ball Z names.

Sephirex
2012-06-28, 08:14 PM

*Waits patiently for Mod Goku to show*

SixShooter
2012-06-28, 08:15 PM
PS1 was one of the few games that I was able to get my name in without the X's. XBL and PSN and everything else (including PSU) will not let me start my name with a number.

Bags
2012-06-28, 08:18 PM
I started and didn't intend to play very long, so my friend and I put a lot of x's in our names as a joke.

No one at SOE ever let me change it, so I Was stuck with
xXBagxOfxChipsXx...

Razicator
2012-06-28, 08:19 PM

Holy hell how could I forget this??!! I haven't seen a xXSuperSaiyanGokuXx in years! Thanks for the nostalgia haha

I started and didn't intend to play very long, so my friend and I put a lot of x's in our names as a joke.

No one at SOE ever let me change it, so I Was stuck with
xXBagxOfxChipsXx...

TIL Bag's name origin. Now for why Rarity...

FPClark
2012-06-28, 08:25 PM
Same username I have used for about 10 years now haha (FP = Facepunch studios, Clark = John Clark from Tom Clancey Books)

Dreamcast
2012-06-28, 08:33 PM
People use to use the 69 in their name a lot too.

I thought People put X's because their name was taken.

ChookWantan
2012-06-28, 08:43 PM
Nope

Levon Veldspar
2012-06-28, 09:03 PM
When I went back to my SOE account after many years away I was pleasently surprised at the tasteful foresight I showed at the wee age of 15.

Greeniegriz
2012-06-28, 09:32 PM
Back in the day all caps where cool. AKAPELLA.

Now tapatalk sig is :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lol. mines better. :p

Cheers,

GG

Sent from Auraxis using Tapatalk 9

Xaine
2012-06-28, 10:55 PM
Prawney.

Don't say a word.

Not a word.

p0intman
2012-06-28, 10:56 PM
mine isn't at all strange... if you really know me. it makes perfect sense, in a very twisted way. Though, only those that have met me in the flesh would 'get' it, and thats why its secure.

duck
2012-06-28, 11:02 PM
LOL at these two comments
I remember having a runescape account with the word 'Saiyan' in it. DBZ was the best.

My veteran PS1 account was created in 2003, when I was 13, the username is so stupid I don't even remember how I came up with it.

Oh trust me, today's nothing compared to the back in the days of classic Runescape. There's a lot more 4/20 references now, and Legolas/Gimli was huge a few years ago.

Razicator
2012-06-28, 11:02 PM
mine isn't at all strange... if you really know me. it makes perfect sense, in a very twisted way. Though, only those that have met me in the flesh would 'get' it, and thats why its secure.

It's ok, we know you were the one who let the dawgs out.

StarFault
2012-06-28, 11:16 PM
I still remember my Runescape username and password... they weren't ridiculous, they were just dumb in terms of being a confident password, both of which included parts of my real name! Thankfully I now I have developed past that and have developed a good taste for usernames... All letters, no spaces (well maybe), and no ridiculous uppercase excessive letter design :).

Ratstomper
2012-06-28, 11:30 PM
I started using my moniker for Shadowbane when I was a wee lad back in the day. It's an antiquated term that noone really knows what it means and I kind of like that fact. :D

SKYeXile
2012-06-28, 11:36 PM
IllI thought this was the rage?lII

super pretendo
2012-06-28, 11:49 PM
no I am happy with mine, it's xHighxCommandxNarutoxSniper420xRedditx[brony]

Zebasiz
2012-06-29, 01:23 AM
I've had the same username for all my accounts for 14 years now.

And not once have I ever had the problem of someone else taking it first.

Thank you Everquest random name generator. :cool:

That one noob
2012-06-29, 01:42 AM
Back when I started playing Planetside it was usually Jango/Role/840 for VS and Rebel/Random #s for NC. I still like using random Star Wars related names today.

Thomas
2012-06-29, 01:54 AM
I have a feeling that I'm not getting accepted into Squads sometimes because my name looks nooby :(

Pella
2012-06-29, 01:57 AM
Back in the day having numbers in your name was cool.

Cyclone2333
Fireeatingshitmonster88

And so on

GuyFawkes
2012-06-29, 02:04 AM
I remember the barcodes.

Was it l1l1l1l111111llll11 I just killed or 11lll1l1l1l1l1lll1l1lll1111l1 :doh:

OutlawDr
2012-06-29, 02:41 AM
*Waits patiently for Mod Goku to show*

You guys remember all the Sephiroths and name derivatives

Bravix
2012-06-29, 02:50 AM
As far as in game name, I used to always be the only Bravix on any game.

Now, on occasion, I'll go to try out a game and someone stole my name :/

Obviously, what happened is that they saw me using it and were like, "OMFGBBQ that's awesome. I'm stealing it."

Bastards.

Razicator
2012-06-29, 02:54 AM
As far as in game name, I used to always be the only Bravix on any game.

Now, on occasion, I'll go to try out a game and someone stole my name :/

Obviously, what happened is that they saw me using it and were like, "OMFGBBQ that's awesome. I'm stealing it."

Bastards.

Put a couple X's around it! Look, you already have one! :lol:

I SandRock
2012-06-29, 03:30 AM
xXXLegOlAsasXxx is all the rage

dachlatte
2012-06-29, 03:39 AM
Only the cool kids have X's

That makes me uncool, I guess

Arovien
2012-06-29, 04:01 AM
I started the X craze with my username: X.

Bazilx
2012-06-29, 06:31 AM

Hey... What's wrong with X's... Bazil was taken.

Kran De Loy
2012-06-29, 06:44 AM
My brother and I have been using our names for the last 15+ years with very few problems so far.

It all started when we would play ShadowRun the PnP game and we would get our character's monikers by praying to the TV set and placing the character sheet on top of it, flipping through the channels wildly and stopping at some random point and the first noises that came out of the speakers were what we would have to use.

The first ones we got were pretty awesome, however some of them were good and some were just "wut?" quality. From Gunsmith to Rat Booty.

My current one actually came from two different channels on accident :)

sylphaen
2012-06-29, 08:27 AM
Can't wait until The Hobbit's release in theaters.
:lol:

Baneblade
2012-06-29, 08:43 AM
Mine is completely original and never taken by anyone else. It isn't Baneblade. Oddly enough it is almost always my username, but almost never my ingame name.

LordReaver
2012-06-29, 08:54 AM
Back in the days of StarCraft, I liked the idea of naming myself after a unit (terrible idea, but I like the result). I liked Protoss, and the Reaver unit. A reaver is "one that reaves" to reave is to "steal or take with force". Awesomeness. I couldn't use just Reaver, since that was the name of a unit, so I stuck Lord in front. I dabbled in variations of Reaver, but went back to LordReaver, since I already used it, and nobody else had it.

Now, I have issues with other people trying to use it. Including one dude, who is eerily similar to me. Straight up doppelganger type shit.

It's always fun when people try to insult me for "flying a reaver all the time". Especially considering I'm rarely ever in a reaver. I don't need a reaver to kill you! :p

Geist
2012-06-29, 09:25 AM
Back in the days of StarCraft, I liked the idea of naming myself after a unit (terrible idea, but I like the result).

I was the same way. My current name (Geist) is but an evolution of a name I've been using since Starcraft first came out. I loved the idea of the Ghost unit: psychic kids trained from childhood to become invisible assassins. My first name was EliteSniperGhost, then it was Hawkeye73(my current SOE name) because it was a cool sniper name, then back to Ghost, then Spectre(because of the new Ghost unit in SC2), then Geist(because it sounds cool and surprisingly enough is used less often then Ghost and Spectre are).

<3 my "Nuclear Launch Detected" Macro whenever I saw an OS. :lol:

TeaLeaf
2012-06-29, 10:02 AM
Not sure if I have one. I tried Everquest 2 for a week or so but I'll be damned if I can remember that.

My old user names where pretty terrible though. I used to use things like Bane and BlackDragon, slowly got less pretentious over the years.

blackfang
2012-06-29, 10:36 AM
I used to play with the name mutator, but suddenly people learned about that word and i could no longer use it. Therefore i changed to blackfang because i was reading the book about the space wolves (warhammer 40k) and i thought i wanted something to do with the fang. So i chose i color that sounded good with it and thus i got blackfang.

Later on even blackfang was getting taken. So a good friend of mine on another game i played several years ago was named magic. So i wanted it and i chose magic and used blue since it sounded really good. Now i am temporarily back on blackfang but i use those two and i got an rp name as well but thats not important:D

Johari
2012-06-29, 12:04 PM
I got confused because when it said create your Station name I thought it meant that I was getting my own little plot of land to create a 'station' ingame so I went with a name that sounded all official n stuff.

gufftroad
2012-06-29, 12:25 PM
My brother and I have been using our names for the last 15+ years with very few problems so far.

It all started when we would play ShadowRun the PnP game and we would get our character's monikers by praying to the TV set and placing the character sheet on top of it, flipping through the channels wildly and stopping at some random point and the first noises that came out of the speakers were what we would have to use.

The first ones we got were pretty awesome, however some of them were good and some were just "wut?" quality. From Gunsmith to Rat Booty.

My current one actually came from two different channels on accident :)
...are you me

that's how i got my name except it was for DnD

Figment
2012-06-29, 12:42 PM
Never been ashamed of mine, but it was emberassing to see how many outfits jumped on the Outfit Tag bandwagon just because one or two outfits did that post-merge and SUDDENLY everyone HAD to have it...

...and lost all individual recognizability while giving the enemy ease of group identification and increased the amount of anti-group feelings towards individuals because the actions of individuals started to reflect on their entire group.

Just great. One MCYx would tag along with your group of 3 to hack and hold some random base through a cave link, after one guy got killed, we suddenly find 20-30 TR pop in at once to resecure and get zerged. And you'd get an apology from random CR5x for zerging in the order of: "Well yeah we heard Mercs were here so we kinda brought backup to prevent a farm. Sorry, we expected a full squad of Mercs... Had we known it was just three people, we'd not have brought this many".

That was... interesting.

Stew
2012-06-29, 12:45 PM

I thought People put X's because their name was taken.

These guys are pervs thats why ;)

Hamma
2012-06-29, 08:14 PM
My name in PlanetSide is xXxXHAMPWNSAUCE6969XxXx

FINALCUT
2012-06-29, 09:44 PM
I am always getting asked if I am a film and video editor because of my name. Sad that so few people know what good music is these days.:D

alienmoose
2012-06-29, 09:45 PM
777xJEFFHARDYRULESx777

RawketLawnchair
2012-06-29, 09:48 PM
So uh, are we going to be forced to use our account names?
I hope not. Mine is grandarchitecht and I haven't used that name in years.

alienmoose
2012-06-29, 09:48 PM
So uh, are we going to be forced to use our account names?
I hope not. Mine is grandarchitecht and I haven't used that name in years.

Are you a satanist?

RawketLawnchair
2012-06-29, 09:56 PM
Are you a satanist?

Not sure how that equates to satanism...

I used to be into architecture. :)

Razicator
2012-06-29, 10:34 PM
Kinda shocked that people are actually putting up their real station usernames. Now I can hack you guys by looking at your posting history to deduce your backgrounds, look up your username on Google and Facebook, then guess your secret password! Muahahaha!

Pillar of Armor
2012-06-30, 09:40 AM
Hey... What's wrong with X's... Bazil was taken.

Lol, I thought your name was clever phonetics for "Basilisks"

Rivenshield
2012-06-30, 02:07 PM
I was ignorant of the whole online gaming-culture thing. I didn't even like first-person shooters, and really just wanted to dabble in this new massive online wargame they came out with. So I used the same login I used at work -- the first three letters of my first and last names.

I feel like a square now.

/hangs head

Bitmap
2012-06-30, 02:27 PM
People occasionally make comments about Bitmaps having poor compression or some such nonsense but that's about it. Honestly surprised I never had to "X up" as it were.

Soothsayer
2012-06-30, 02:36 PM
Mine's a mis-spelled whisky brand. I had different priorities back then :)

AirFell
2012-06-30, 02:49 PM
I started using my moniker for Shadowbane when I was a wee lad back in the day. It's an antiquated term that noone really knows what it means and I kind of like that fact. :D

Lemme guess... where you a vamp scout that killed off wererats?

The early, early variations of my name originated in SB...

Two vowels followed by a two letter sound (ph, ch, sh, th), then another vowel ending with a consonant.

In sb it was Airthin, Airphel, Aupheg, Aeshar...

ahh SB was fun.

Electrofreak
2012-06-30, 05:04 PM
My station name is actually my younger brother's handle, because he's typically the one that follows game news, gets hyped, gets a game account, and then I end up stealing it from him by leveling up a character on his account. :p This has happened in a few games, and PlanetSide was no exception. Of course, he generally creates a second account for himself.

I had an Earth and Beyond account with a character named "Yoshimitsu" for those that get the Tekken reference. Embarassing.

Hell, when I picked "Electrofreak" as my handle, it was 16 years ago and I was 12. It was supposed to imply my obsession with electronics, but as electro became a popular style of music, everyone began to assume I was flaunting my taste in music. Granted, I do like electro, but I'm not a freak about it.

Recently, I've been moving more towards just being Eleck. That's what I'm often called for short, and my father always called me a smart aleck when I was a kid, so it seems fitting.

Dubious
2012-06-30, 05:17 PM
Dibs on Legolas !!

Stew
2012-06-30, 06:25 PM
My name in PlanetSide is xXxXHAMPWNSAUCE6969XxXx

seams we have a winners hamma is a 2X pervs ?

Rhophi
2012-06-30, 08:10 PM

This is me :(

FuzzyandBlue
2012-06-30, 08:16 PM
Hi I'm FuzzyandBlue. Fear me!