PDA

View Full Version : Does this...exist?

Vancha
2012-07-13, 05:29 PM
So on Monday I got the first part of my new computer - a Lian Li A05NB. I love it already, but it's backward air-flow has given me reason to look for something that might not even exist...

What I want is a dual-5.25" bay 80mm fan mount...preferably one that puts the fan as close to the front of the case as possible. The only thing I've managed to find is again Lian Li - their AD-03 - but I can't tell if it does what I'm looking for.

Anyone happen to know if this kind of thing exists? I know there's some triple-5.25" 120mm fan mounts, but my A05 only has two 5.25" bays (+1 3.5" bay, if anything exists for that configuration).

Ailos
2012-07-14, 12:41 AM
So you want another fan at the front of the case, but because you only have two 5.25" bays, you can't use a standard 120 mm adapter, and instead want a 2x80 mm one?

The first problem that I see with this idea is the fact that 5.25" is 133 mm. Two 80 mm fans side-by-side are 160 mm. So if you want a double-fan configuration, you'll have to drop down to 60 mm ones.

In this case, perhaps you need something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835230005

Vancha
2012-07-14, 03:30 AM
You pretty much nailed it, except I only want a single 80mm (because as you say, two don't fit). I'd come across the Startech thing, but 60mm is getting a little small/loud and it's not the prettiest thing...

The Vantec thing under "similar items" is almost perfect, though they don't seem to exist in the UK. Anything like that, that isn't that?

Rbstr
2012-07-14, 11:46 PM
I'd just try it as is before you worry about it.
You won't need the extra ventilation, I run 2x120mms and have a similar or larger TDP.

Goku
2012-07-15, 07:59 AM
I don't think you are going to have really any kind of issues Vancha. If you are worried about temps there is a few things you do. First don't get a video card that exhausts heat into the case, get one that blows it out. Second is you can look into a Corsair Hydro or Antec H2O cooler. Doing a exhaust with that on your rear fan will also prevent the hot air from a regular tower being on there otherwise. My understanding with those closed loop coolers do better under conditions present in your case, verse what a tower heatsink is capable of doing. With the limited space in your case I would actually recommend one of those closed loop ones to allow you more space.

Vancha
2012-07-15, 08:58 AM
Sorry, I meant conventionally backward airflow, not literally backward airflow. Due to the PSU being in the front, the intakes are at the back and the exhaust at the front. A reference cooler would be drawing in the air it just exhausted. I plan on getting the Asus 670.

I'm not particularly worried about temps, this is just me imagining future possibilities, either due to things being hotter than I expect or wanting to overclock a bit further.

GPU temps tend to be slightly higher in this case (and CPU lower) due to the inverted ATX, so I liked the idea of trying out a BS-07/BS-08 PCI cooler. What I definitely plan on doing though is removing the drive cage and suspending my HDD in the optical drive slots, but that means it'll be sitting in a pocket of hot air collecting at the top of the case, due to all the exhausts being in the bottom-front (again, I'm not terribly worried about this, it's just a consideration). So the 80mm would be for clearing that out, possibly drawing some of the hot air that the GPU's exhausted and getting some air flowing over the HDD.

Ailos
2012-07-15, 11:00 PM
Turn everything you have into exhaust and just get a mesh for your top optical bay - it'll turn that into an intake vent. If you want something to force cooler air in there, just get the single-bay fans I linked. Sould be enough.

Weird case layout, lol.