PDA

View Full Version : Will PS2 run on an "ASUS" eee PC?

Sten
2012-07-31, 04:07 PM
I realize that this Q is probably a joke but I just thought I'd put it out there.

I don't know alot about PCs. All I know is that I turned one on once and sparks came out of it. End of PC gaming.

Masterr
2012-07-31, 04:16 PM
I realize that this Q is probably a joke but I just thought I'd put it out there.

I don't know alot about PCs. All I know is that I turned one on once and sparks came out of it. End of PC gaming.

find and post the specs of the PC in question.

vVRedOctoberVv
2012-07-31, 04:17 PM
I'm probably giving this thread more respect than it deserves...

Asus is a brand. Like Ford. Asking if the game will work with an Asus is like... well, you see where this is going. If you honestly don't know any better than this, then go educate yourself, rather than asking such a blind question. A little effort goes a long way.

dafuq
2012-07-31, 04:20 PM

lol:D

Rbstr
2012-07-31, 04:22 PM
If you've answered in seriously in this thread you should feel bad.

rhombus
2012-07-31, 04:24 PM
All but maybe one or two EEE PCs are too underpowered for Planetside 2 or most 3D games really.

They generally only come with Intel Atom processors. There's one very recent model that comes with a dual core AMD processor with Radeon HD6xxx graphics but chances are you don't have that one.

BlueSkies
2012-07-31, 04:24 PM
I'm probably giving this thread more respect than it deserves...

Asus is a brand. Like Ford. Asking if the game will work with an Asus is like... well, you see where this is going. If you honestly don't know any better than this, then go educate yourself, rather than asking such a blind question. A little effort goes a long way.

He was more specific "ASUS eee PC"

Its not a specific computer, but its specific enough since the eee PCs are netbooks or netbookish desktops. So... no, it probably won't run.

Baneblade
2012-07-31, 04:25 PM
The Transformer Prime might have the hardware to pull it off, but then you run into this thing called Android.

vVRedOctoberVv
2012-07-31, 04:26 PM
He was more specific "ASUS eee PC"

Its not a specific computer, but its specific enough since the eee PCs are netbooks or netbookish desktops. So... no, it probably won't run.

My original statement still stands. A little effort or research goes a long way.

Sten
2012-07-31, 04:30 PM
Yeah I didn't think this tiny ass laptop would run any game. Gonna have to get some Russian weirdo to build one for me.

For the 1st reply guy; a little bit of reading goes a long way. I wrote eee PC for a reason. Didn't they teach you reading at the academy?

Oh and to everyone on PSU forums; I'm from EAUK aka Mordor Forums. Fear me, now.

Top Sgt
2012-07-31, 04:38 PM
Mordor is good people knowledgable real BF vets. Don't give them a bad rep here posting jokes and crap bro seriously

Sten
2012-07-31, 04:58 PM
Mordor is good people knowledgable real BF vets. Don't give them a bad rep here posting jokes and crap bro seriously

What?

SkilletSoup
2012-07-31, 05:02 PM
I'm outta here.

vVRedOctoberVv
2012-07-31, 05:13 PM
Oh and to everyone on PSU forums; I'm from EAUK aka Mordor Forums. Fear me, now.

Who?

Sten
2012-07-31, 05:16 PM
Who?

Joke? Ever heard of one?

Top Sgt
2012-07-31, 05:34 PM
Mods please close this thread

PhoenixDog
2012-07-31, 05:35 PM
Joke? Ever heard of one?

Jokes are normally funny. Just saying...

vVRedOctoberVv
2012-07-31, 05:36 PM
Jokes are normally funny. Just saying...

Now, see, THAT I found amusing :)

NePaS
2012-07-31, 05:37 PM
And who are you @Mordor?

Just wondering,see as most people there would not ask if an eeeee PC can game.

Rockstone
2012-07-31, 05:44 PM
My gaming machine from 1999 is far more likely to play this game than an eee PC...

Electrofreak
2012-07-31, 06:45 PM
The Transformer Prime might have the hardware to pull it off, but then you run into this thing called Android.

It's not really Android, it's ARM. My Transformer Prime has a quad-core processor (technically it has 5 if you count the low-power core) but it's an ARM processor, not an x86 processor. Windows doesn't currently run on ARM, but Windows 8 will. Unfortunately, Microsoft has stated that desktop applications will not run on Windows 8 on ARM, save a handful of Microsoft products.

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012/02/09/microsoft-windows-8-running-on-arm-chips-will-only-support-4-desktop-apps/

ARM and x86 are pretty different however. They employ entirely different hardware and instruction sets, and have a different focus; x86 on maximum performance, ARM on performance per watt. It's a far more difficult to port an x86 app to the ARM platform than it is to port something from Windows to a console like PS3, for example.

Maniox
2012-07-31, 07:00 PM
Yeah, i have one of these, i think it has a 1.6 ghz dual-core <.<

Rbstr
2012-07-31, 10:51 PM
I guess I don't feel so bad, considering we've gone on a tangent...

ARM and x86 are pretty different however. They employ entirely different hardware and instruction sets, and have a different focus; x86 on maximum performance, ARM on performance per watt. It's a far more difficult to port an x86 app to the ARM platform than it is to port something from Windows to a console like PS3, for example.

Well...the thing here is that ARM, the PS3 and the Xbox are all RISC processors (The latter two are part of the Power family). But they're nearly as different from each other as they are from something CISC (x86 and a few others).
It's not so much about the difficulty of the port at a basic level but that it was recognized as a thing that needed doing. ARM cpus are/were lower power parts so the code isn't written for them to begin with.

Windows running on ARM is like the PS3's OS running on x86. Everything running on the OS would still have to be recompiled/adapted...though you can probably make it easier in many ways.