PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a system for PS2

Zebasiz
2012-08-04, 05:23 PM
I honestly know near to nothing about computer componets and such, but I do know I need an upgrade for PS2.
I already have a graphics card: Radeon HD 6450. and a 450W power supply.

I'm planning to purchase a new motherboard processor and RAM:
Motherboard: ASRock A75 PRO4/MVP FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD
Processor: AMD A6-3650 Llano 2.6GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6530D AD

I found those as a combo deal on newegg.
And the memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00

I'm on a budget of under 300$ and these come to a 250$ total.
Any suggestions? Or would this work? (Don't need good graphics, just running the game well.)

Goku
2012-08-04, 08:04 PM
First 6450 is a bad card to be wanting to run this game or any other game for that matter.

Second what 450W PSU do you have? I need to know the maker and model.

Third the combo is pretty bad to be honest. Mostly because I wouldn't bother with a APU on desktop. You can do better with your money.

I need you to answer these questions as there as we need to know more in order to help you properly.

1. Are you building this computer yourself or having one built for you (Like HP, Alienware, or even a small shop)?

2. What is your budget and does that include shipping/taxes?

3. Where do you live (Please list town, state, and country)?

4. What do you need this computer to do (like gaming, Photoshop, and so on)?

5. What parts will you need for the computer? List what parts specifically, saying you need everything will not do.

6. Are you reusing any parts for this computer? If so say what parts (make and model).

7. What kind of monitor/resolution do you have or want to get to use for the computer?

8. Do you have already have a OS or do you need one? What OS is that?

9. What are you looking for the motherboard to have feature wise? Like SLI, Crossfire, Firewire, USB 3.0, Sata 6.0 Gb/s, and so on.

10. Any plans to overclock the CPU or GPU?

11. What time kind of time frame are you planning on ordering these parts?

Zebasiz
2012-08-04, 09:15 PM
First 6450 is a bad card to be wanting to run this game or any other game for that matter.

Second what 450W PSU do you have? I need to know the maker and model.
The box for the power reads: Antec 25. 450 Watt, ATX 12V v2.3, 120mm Fan, Continuous power.

Third the combo is pretty bad to be honest. Mostly because I wouldn't bother with a APU on desktop. You can do better with your money.

I need you to answer these questions as there as we need to know more in order to help you properly.

1. Are you building this computer yourself or having one built for you (Like HP, Alienware, or even a small shop)?
Building myself, Asking friend for help over the phone if I need it.

2. What is your budget and does that include shipping/taxes?
Up to 300$ total. All I can afford.

3. Where do you live (Please list town, state, and country)?
Yuba City, California USA

4. What do you need this computer to do (like gaming, Photoshop, and so on)? I really only use it for internet and some gaming. PS2 will be the most advanced Game I plan to have on it so far.

5. What parts will you need for the computer? List what parts specifically, saying you need everything will not do.
Well I'm just assuming I need a new Processor, Motherboard, and Memory. I don't know what other parts I would need.

6. Are you reusing any parts for this computer? If so say what parts (make and model).
Not re-using anything.

7. What kind of monitor/resolution do you have or want to get to use for the computer? My monitor resolution reads 1366 X 768.

8. Do you have already have a OS or do you need one? What OS is that?
I have Windows 7

9. What are you looking for the motherboard to have feature wise? Like SLI, Crossfire, Firewire, USB 3.0, Sata 6.0 Gb/s, and so on.
I can honestly say I have no idea what most of that is aside from the USB. So I don't know.

10. Any plans to overclock the CPU or GPU?
No.

11. What time kind of time frame are you planning on ordering these parts?

No hurry. Was hoping I could order within a week or so, So that I could play in the beta once I get in. But no real rush.

Goku
2012-08-04, 10:41 PM
What about a case, hard drive, and dvd burner? Do yo know if you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?

Here is a few parts to start you off:
AMD 965 BE 3.4 GHz - $70 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3537528&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-jlziqIQj4X9Vttot2HbGRQ&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=TnL5HPStwNw-ugmEHSdSAC7onrLxuQ.qow&MobileOptOut=1) (ends tomorrow)
AMD 970 Mobo - $80 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2932738&CatId=7248&SRCCODE=MDOTTD&MobileOptOut=1)
8GB DDR3 - $35 (http://www.amazon.com/PNY-PC3-10666-1333MHz-Desktop-MD8192KD3-1333/dp/tech-data/B004DHNAGM/ref=de_a_smtd)

Brings you to $185. I would suggest getting a different graphics card, but you can try that 6450 if you really want and if it doesn't play to your liking get a new card. If you are interested in just getting one now this 7770 isn't bad at all here (http://www.amazon.com/XFX-FX777AZNF4-1000MHz-miniDP-Graphics/dp/B007A44T42/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1344140578&sr=1-16&keywords=7770).

Zebasiz
2012-08-04, 11:58 PM
I have 64-bit windows. Case, hard drive etc I don't think I need to replace at the moment. Work fine for me. Hard Drive maxes at 287GB, does what I need it to.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look them up now.

Goku
2012-08-05, 12:21 AM
Does the case you have now properly support ATX? Your Hard drive is sata interface also? Just want to make sure in order to avoid any issues.

Also that power supply info didn't really help me. Anything on there for a model identifying it like Basiq, Earthwatts, VP?

Zebasiz
2012-08-05, 01:30 AM
Power says it is model VP450.

Apparently my computer is mid-sized ATX. and that hard drive is SATA.

I found my computers specs online. It was a store bought comp I got about 2 years ago. http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=4107315&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=c02012172

My comp is exactly the same as those specs aside from the graphics card and power supply I mentioned.
Sorry I didn't find this sooner. Hopefully it helps.

Goku
2012-08-05, 10:08 AM
You can get this $65 mobo (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1963429&CatId=7375) instead. Still lets you have a upgrade path potentially to Piledriver in a couple years if you ever wish to upgrade.

Keep in mind that deal on the 965 is ending tonight. If you are serious about upgrading within the next week I would get it.

Have you given any thoughts about getting a better video card? You do have remaining funds for this is all.

Zebasiz
2012-08-05, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the help. I placed an order for the items you suggested.
I'm going to hold off on the graphics card for now. See how my current one does.
Thanks again. :D