PDA

View Full Version : 4th Faction Announced (PVE)

Envenom
2012-08-09, 12:21 PM
https://twitter.com/mad4planetside2/status/233550654952583169

MayPeX
2012-08-09, 12:21 PM
Reapers?

Envenom
2012-08-09, 12:23 PM
Reapers?

They would be the vanguard of PS2's destruction.

Comet
Er... strange. They announced just weeks ago there wouldn't be a PvE element. I sure hope they don't do this :(

Hosp
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's a troll.

RoninOni
O.o

uhm, wow?

PvE in PS2... I'm.... reserved at this point but I'm sure (or hope) it won't get added if it compromises the core PvP gameplay in any way.

Could be awesome... but it just doesn't seem right

sgtviper
2012-08-09, 12:24 PM
Id bet the put in NPC (indigenous creatures) that give XP for those long rides from CAP point to CAP point

EvilNinjadude
2012-08-09, 12:24 PM
There already is a 4th faction. They call'em SpecOps.

AThreatToYou
2012-08-09, 12:25 PM
Pretty sure is troll

P Nutz
2012-08-09, 12:28 PM
Reapers?

Ah yes, "Reapers". The immortal race of sentient starships allegedly waiting in Mass Effect.

We have dismissed that claim.

Ivam Akorahil
2012-08-09, 12:29 PM
might be some form of training environment where new players can test themselves against AI before going on against players?

but tbh, reading thw twitter reply again, smedly might have just "yessed" the pve elements, not the 4th alien faction

i think thats more like it

Mox
2012-08-09, 12:30 PM
Some bots to defend empty bases would be ok. Everything else would be probably to much.

another playable faction could destroy the balance.

Maybe that 4th faction would be nice for some temporary live events.

Astrok
2012-08-09, 12:31 PM
Maybe its for uncontrolled territory(towers and outposts).maybe if their arent people in a territory for a amount of time its uncontrolled by any faction then they put in the 4th npc faction so we cant just hop in and cap it easy with just 1 dude on a bike.

RoninOni
2012-08-09, 12:39 PM
Some bots to defend empty bases would be ok. Everything else would be probably to much.

another playable faction could destroy the balance.

Maybe that 4th faction would be nice for some temporary live events.

Yah... If they did it I would imagine an alien race from another world that occasionally attacks Auraxis... that or humans that broke off from all 3 factions (Space Pirates lawl) and just perform raids on bases and they steal/hamper resource production unless stopped.

eh, honestly if I want PvE I'll play a game designed for it (Firefall, another awesome developer team) and would prefer to keep my primary game purely PvP focused

Sotonian
2012-08-09, 12:43 PM
Ah yes, "Reapers". The immortal race of sentient starships allegedly waiting in Mass Effect.

Its clearly Bolo Santosi and her revolutionary army
Just Cause 2 - Bolo Santosi's Intro - YouTube

Venator
2012-08-09, 12:43 PM
It's not a troll, he confirmed again in another tweet. Just said no details as of right now.

Poser
2012-08-09, 12:47 PM
Er... strange. They announced just weeks ago there wouldn't be a PvE element. I sure hope they don't do this :(

This. There sure are a lot of contradictory posts by this team.

On the other hand, having an offline training/practice mode would be cool. I'm terrible at flying...

Mongo
2012-08-09, 12:49 PM
I am prepared and poised to /facepalm but will await the specifics before judging.

It will either be a small /facepalm
Or a rather huge /facepalm

Revanmug
2012-08-09, 12:51 PM
Nothing more boring but shooting predictable and bad AI control npc. It ain't too bad when you got a story to care about but that wasn't my plan in PS2.

I have no problem with NPC in mmoRPG but in shooter? meh.

RoadRage
2012-08-09, 12:51 PM
Hmm... As long as the PvE doesn't affect in any way whatsoever the PVP aspect of this game, I'm all for it.

However - If it does....

>:[

TacosWLove
2012-08-09, 12:52 PM
the closest to a NPC we should have in this game is a SPitfire Turret. I dont want to kill computers, if I did Id play just about any other MMO out there. I want to kill people, I want them to die in frustration slamming their keyboard down, I want the satisfaction of being beat by a competent human, not some AI aimbot....

duomaxwl
2012-08-09, 12:53 PM
No thanks.

Klockan
2012-08-09, 12:55 PM
It seems like they want to have different gameplay elements on different continents, so you don't need to participate in this. As long as you don't get imba rewards for it then it should be fine.

The Barn Cat
2012-08-09, 12:57 PM
they have talked about this a few times i dont see it as a bad thing I am open to new things in my planetside

QuantumMechanic
2012-08-09, 12:57 PM
Hmm... As long as the PvE doesn't affect in any way whatsoever the PVP aspect of this game, I'm all for it.

Well, it absolutely will have an effect. Because there will be players off hunting wild squigs when they should be fighting in the war instead.

In a game where everything is about population, anything that detracts from the size of battles lessens the game experience.

My response to this (as it has always been since they've been keeping this option on the table for years now) is, "Oh god please no". In my eyes this has the potential to ruin PS2.

GnomeEvo
2012-08-09, 01:03 PM
Maybe if they had NPC's on just one continent to add a PVE/PVP in just one area.

I would hate to be having a massive PVP battle and have PVE aspects start waltzing in and unbalancing the entire battle.

I'm good with just spitfire type deployments that are limited and player set up.

~~~~
EVO
Gnomish Marine Corps
New Conglomerate - East Coast
http://www.gnomishmarines.com/forums/

Envenom
2012-08-09, 01:03 PM
Did anyone ever play Tabula Rasa? FPSMMO. It tried to the whole NPC FPS MMO thing and tanked pretty bad.

avpmaster
2012-08-09, 01:05 PM
You guys are all overthinking this. The fourth faction will be the cacti & canyons, obviously.

Bags
2012-08-09, 01:07 PM
WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH PROCESSING POWER FOR WEAPONS ON YOUR BACK, BUT WE HAVE ENOUGH FOR NPC

lol ^ SOE right now

anyhow game ruined, I won't be playing. WoW sucked because it tried to juggle both, and PS2 won't do better. was nice knowing ya, ps2.

SUBARU
2012-08-09, 01:11 PM
This is just stupid. Leave it to smed to screw this up

Syphus
2012-08-09, 01:14 PM
If I was him I'd love the power I had to invoke nerd rage by giving a one word ambiguous answer.

Artimus
2012-08-09, 01:15 PM
Actually Higby has mentioned an Vanu alien type thing in a very early interview. And he did mention PvE elements.

RoninOni
2012-08-09, 01:16 PM
Having it on a separated continent would minimize it's effect on the core PS2 game for the core players.... I'd rather have another pure PvP continent, but I suppose some players could use a more casual entrance to the game...

as long as it also isn't too efficient for farming xp or anything anyways..... PvP should be unquestionably the fastest and best route to gaining power & resources.

Still really skeptical, and really, there are SO MANY other, brilliant things that deserve attention to add to the PvP game that I'd consider it a waste of development resources.... but it CAN be implemented in a manner that at least won't interfere with the real PS2 PvP game, and hope (and trust) that they at least manage that.

WellWisherELF
2012-08-09, 01:17 PM
Smed's "Yes" was referring to possible PvE elements, not the 4th faction part. He has tweeted prior about wanting to incorporate static wildlife into the planets that you can just shoot for fun.

Stop taking things out of context.

Dreamcast
2012-08-09, 01:18 PM
Maybe have bugs like Starship troopers attack when their is a massive battle?

Elthbert
2012-08-09, 01:20 PM
automated firing turrets in PS1 are PVE, spitfires/Cerberus/ and shadow turrets are people placed PVE. The meteor strikes of the Bending, and occasionally after were PVE, I never thought any of these were distracting ( though once I was killed by meteorites five times in a row) used in moderation the meteor strikes were cool. I wouldn't mind the occasional dangerous creature running around the battlefield, its not as if those don't really exist in real battlefields. If occasionally ( say once or twice a months) I ran into an alien dinosaur type thing in the middle of a battle, kicking tanks around and eating people, that would be awesome, but I don't want to see it all the time.

Boone
2012-08-09, 01:29 PM
WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH PROCESSING POWER FOR WEAPONS ON YOUR BACK, BUT WE HAVE ENOUGH FOR NPC

lol ^ SOE right now

anyhow game ruined, I won't be playing. WoW sucked because it tried to juggle both, and PS2 won't do better. was nice knowing ya, ps2.

Good lord.

I could only imagine how you would react if something actually substantial happened to you. You brought WoW into this when it doesn't even compare...at all.

How do you know it isn't weather effects that can impact things? Are you sure it's not wildlife just wandering around? Nothing funnier than watching 20 deer go flying midst battle.

greenberetdelta
2012-08-09, 01:34 PM
its prob the vanu coming back

Scotsh
2012-08-09, 01:36 PM
You really all have to calm down.

This isnt really an announcement and not at all confirmed.
At this stage of development Blizzard talked about and promised things like player housing or hero classes. I am pretty sure the thing Smedley is refering to is in similar development stages like those WoW features (aka it came up during a brainstorming) were.

If they ever incorporate anything PvE like, i would hope it would something like sporadic live events with masses and masses of aliens invade Auraxis. Stuff like this might be amusing from time to time and depending of how its implemented i would enjoy some variety.

Infektion
2012-08-09, 01:39 PM
I must agree with baggies over hur. I'm honestly going to be very disappointed if they introduce PvE, but even more so if they end up adding some sort of "teamVteam" instances. I personally loved WAR during Closed beta through maybe 5 months after release... then it began to tank because of PvE and "instances". I will happily wave goodbye to PS2, besides, there are other good games like my DayZ, Mechwarrior online, and BF3.... I may even resubscribe to asherons call :D

Sephirex
2012-08-09, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't expect to see this any time soon........

Trust me.

Going to have to agree with Bags, I don't know how they expect to get this in if they don't have the processor resources for base game features.

Rivenshield
2012-08-09, 01:47 PM
Lame. Unless it's a special massive event where all three empires unite to drive off the alien menace. That would be fun as hell.

Infektion
2012-08-09, 01:49 PM
I wouldn't expect to see this any time soon........

Trust me.

Going to have to agree with Bags, I don't know how they expect to get this in if they don't have the processor resources for base game features.

LOL if they spend their resources in adding PvE and it's aspects instead of solidifying gameplay... I'll be out faster than a one night stand.

lMABl
2012-08-09, 01:57 PM
I have mixed feelings about this...

Boone
2012-08-09, 01:59 PM
Don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't even mind to see some sort of RTS elements added in. Think Starhawk if anyone tried that on the PS3.

Syphus
2012-08-09, 01:59 PM
Remember when he made a tweet agreeing with the person who said BFRs were gonna be in?

Envenom
2012-08-09, 02:06 PM
I really like the idea of the Vanu coming back and invading.

LOOKS LIKE YOUR GODS HAVE TURNED ON YOU BARNEYS

Bags
2012-08-09, 02:07 PM
Good lord.

I could only imagine how you would react if something actually substantial happened to you. You brought WoW into this when it doesn't even compare...at all.

How do you know it isn't weather effects that can impact things? Are you sure it's not wildlife just wandering around? Nothing funnier than watching 20 deer go flying midst battle.

WoW is a game that kind of failed PVP by juggling PVP and PVE. ;)

Any way I was being halfway joking, I'd tough it out, but if PVP suffered because of PVE I'd be gone in a heart beat.

Rat
2012-08-09, 02:07 PM
The devs did mention a year or so ago that they were thinking about having some sort of alien invasion events..the community thought at the time was it would be ok as long as it wasnt a every week occurance and you were not forced to participate.
I thought it might be cool to have to team up with enemy factions for awhile and then turn on them when the prize was in sight.(assuming there is a reason to be fighting these aliens)

Zulthus
2012-08-09, 02:10 PM
PvE WILL be the BFR's of Planetside 2. Don't do it. It's a PvP game and should stay that way. Not even being slightly sarcastic by saying that if the PvE brings down the PvP game, I'm out.

Khaan
2012-08-09, 02:13 PM
PLIZ dont bring PvE in this amazing game

Sledgecrushr
2012-08-09, 02:15 PM
Wow the drama.. Yall are more fun than a mexican soap opera.

Sturmhardt
2012-08-09, 02:16 PM
worst idea ever. I hope its just a troll.

Fucdupkilr
2012-08-09, 02:19 PM
You should all read the other tweets on this. I sent the original tweet at him and got several replies about PvE. The most important bit of info on it was that it wont be in for release and they haven't put anything in stone but it is something they will look to implement at some point

Brokinarrow
2012-08-09, 02:22 PM
I am horribly opposed to any PvE in my Planetside. The only "AI" elements I want to see are automated turrets on bases that have been captured, and even then it should be toned down enough that a human gunner would be preferred.

NinjaMike
2012-08-09, 02:29 PM
i think it be ok if it was hostile wildlife like something can infest a base in the start when no one owns it so you would have to earn it and something that the devs could use to get players to fight in other places they could use it in there mission system and they could have them attack a base just to keep people on there toes

Infektion
2012-08-09, 02:32 PM
WoW is a game that kind of failed PVP by juggling PVP and PVE. ;)

Any way I was being halfway joking, I'd tough it out, but if PVP suffered because of PVE I'd be gone in a heart beat.

I still don't understand how people praise WoW's pathetic excuse for PVP... it's total SHIT. True story!

Boone
2012-08-09, 02:34 PM
I don't think I'd have an issue with an "invasion" type scenario.

It would be pretty interesting to be in a stand still (think Higbys rock standoff) and all of a sudden "BAM" all sorts of shit starts raining in from the sky and you have to adapt. Eh, we'll see..I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Wildlife would be cool though, then again do we need more pixels on the screen then there already is going to be? They can't possibly screw this up..can they? You go to shoot someone and a damn rabbit jumps in the way.

The thing I'd love to see (if this falls into PvE or not) are destructable structures. I'd love to be able to throw up a wall to cut off an entry way, or maybe build (or dropped off) a sniper tower. Something like that.

Fanglord
2012-08-09, 02:52 PM
I would like wild life to in it, preferably cute and fluffy.

Athanasios
2012-08-09, 03:44 PM
1) Some wildlife would be good

2) Some events from time to time, defence against waves, would add some variety IF done correctly.

I'm positive to this IF it's done carefully + down the road.

Haro
2012-08-09, 03:51 PM
Plans do not necessarily mean its going to make it in. It certainly isn't a true confirmation, just an indication of interest.

Lord Paladin
2012-08-09, 04:02 PM
Didn't he/they say that at some point they think it would be cool to have some "wild life" not necessarily a fourth faction

MaxDamage
2012-08-09, 04:05 PM
Didn't he/they say that at some point they think it would be cool to have some "wild life" not necessarily a fourth faction

I demand space tigers.

I want to meet this guy's descendants:
Weird Flying Sabertooth Tiger SKYRIM - YouTube

SwiftRanger
2012-08-09, 04:12 PM
1.) Wildlife is a good idea (and already confirmed), as long as they don't run in the way too much. Adds life/variety to the same dead maps.
2.) I want to shoot/meet the guys who built these (http://www.gamespot.com/planetside/images/114384/) alien (http://www.gamespot.com/planetside/images/88690/) structures (http://www.gamespot.com/planetside/images/88694/). It would be a damn shame to leave the mysteries surrounding Auraxis and its oddities untouched.
3.) PvE is good for specific rare/random events, not as a main focus. The PvP war should be nailed and expanded upon first and foremost.

Stormhall
2012-08-09, 04:13 PM
If they host special events where all three factions come together to fight off a formidable alien race then yeah I'm all up for it. But other than that no not even wildlife.

RoninOni
2012-08-09, 04:25 PM
3.) PvE is good for specific rare/random events, not as a main focus. The PvP war should be nailed and expanded upon first and foremost.

think that's pretty much confirmed...

This is a potential, post-release, add-on

Kipper
2012-08-09, 04:44 PM
I'm not worried about this, if they did it and screwed it up - it would ruin things, but I don't think they will do it in the way you all think.

Occasional 'special' events or AI controlled turrets is what I'm thinking.

A mass of bots running around would just be pretty lame and laughable compared to PvP.

As far as 4th faction goes - I'd rather they handle it by recruiting people from each faction by email or in game message to take part in occasional 4th faction events - so they give you a temporary alien character with alien tech or whatever, everyone turns up, tries to kill all of the other three factions for an evening or two, everyone has fun, and then it goes back to normal thereafter.

Sirisian
2012-08-09, 04:46 PM
This thread is rehashing all the old arguments we've previously discussed in the other threads.

I wouldn't expect to see this any time soon.
Everquest Next is using the Forgelight Engine which means either Forgelight currently supports it or will support pathfinding and AI. Speculation beyond that is probably not constructive, but you're right it would be part of their 3 year or 5 year plan to keep the game interesting.

Depends where they are. If they're outside of bases and just wildlife then it's probably not a big deal. They'd be killed before any huge number of player congregated in the area. That is to say their performance implications can't be compared to holstered weapons which exist in the middle of 200+ people fighting.

I'm with you guys though that I don't want anything like humanoid NPCs that detract from the core PvP gameplay or replace what players are doing. I digress, we don't know anything about what they're planning and it'll probably be a year or more before anyone will know their plan or have any information to legitimately complain about.

Masterr
2012-08-09, 04:57 PM
Thought of an idea. Some type of rare creature that feeds off of the planets resources, (which gives you a reason to kill it). Some huge armored thing that would take a good couple of rounds to kill. Thing is....it never attacks, it runs away.

So...

1. Your going from base to base, u run across the beast, u shoot it, it runs away, u continue on your way.

2. Base to Base, u see the beast, u shoot and chase after it a bit, it dies, u get a good amount of xp, u continue on ur base assault.

Of course there could be a couple different types of beast, maybe while it runs away, it does some defensive mechanism that leaves something like "mines" behind it. Or it releases an electric AOE pulse when things get too close.

The fact that it runs away helps where people don't HAVE to fight it, and i believe it makes it easier in terms of AI.

I wouldn't mind seeing that in terms of PvE. It's easily avoidable (it avoids u) and you get xp if you gun it down. Its like hunting....time to kill bambi.

Tikuto
2012-08-09, 05:00 PM
My Sig for win........

Maniox
2012-08-09, 05:00 PM
I think he ment no

bjorntju1
2012-08-09, 05:08 PM
Afaik they already talked about having a fourth PvE faction in the game later in developement a while ago. Personally I don't mind it. I like to play some kind of co-op style gameplay. Ofcourse if it doesn't effect the PvP side of the game too much.

GODMOLLY
2012-08-09, 05:12 PM
Maybe have a invasion, that attack or defend the continent and all three factions have to team up to fight them.

captainkapautz
2012-08-09, 05:16 PM
Reapers?

This hurts you.

earlydeath
2012-08-09, 05:21 PM
I heard in a interview pretty sure that they wanted to make a event where aliens attack auraxis and all 3 factions group up to defend them off i think that would be fun every few months

Crator
2012-08-09, 05:26 PM
If it's an event that happens sometimes then bring on the aliens!

Gortha
2012-08-09, 05:53 PM
Oh noes please no PVE:evil::evil:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :mad:

moosepoop
2012-08-09, 05:55 PM
i hope its a giant enemy crab.

and drops PHAT LOOT

Sledgecrushr
2012-08-09, 06:15 PM
Bring on the nid hive fleet.

SpcFarlen
2012-08-09, 06:16 PM
Okay i need a healer, a tank, and offtank for trash mobs... a mage... i mean HA....

I think he is joking lol, at least with "Instances". Though id like to see some wild life, perhaps some hostile creatures just to add some immersion.

HeatLegend
2012-08-09, 06:21 PM
Could be awesome... but it just doesn't seem right

Almost sums up what I think of it, but more-so:

Could be awesome, but I sure as hell don't want it.

I am however interested in how they had planned on implementing such a thing in a game like this... It would be cool to have a sort of Starship-Trooper's Bug-invasion thingy, but I like I said I don't want it as it is way too risky- and I don't see a reason to have it.

Though id like to see some wild life, perhaps some hostile creatures just to add some immersion.

Yeah that would be cool, as long as it's no emphasis on it- but simply as a background thingy that could interrupt you forcing you to fight against it to be able to move on- Sure. Wild as well as passive creature roaming the steppes.

Just don't make it a part of the game that people will actively go to do instead of fighting the actual PvP-battles.

Sledgecrushr
2012-08-09, 06:22 PM
This whole game is kinda risky. If they were playing it safe we would have resetting arenas and a lobby before games.

HeatLegend
2012-08-09, 06:25 PM
This whole game is kinda risky. If they were playing it safe we would have resetting arenas and a lobby before games.

I'm sure you're able to see why this would be different from the other risks they've taken. This could completely change the game from what they've sold to us from the beginning.

Kipper
2012-08-09, 06:28 PM
If it's separate to the main PvP game, and its to attract a new audience that doesn't want to PvP, or might graduate to it later - then OK.

If it takes people out of the PvP game because rewards are better or easier to obtain, then its a bad idea.

RageMasterUK
2012-08-09, 07:33 PM
I wouldnt say a complete change, just another branch on the tree. You like PVE you can play it, you like multiplayer you can do that. Gives choice.

Makes sense to take their FPS assets and use them within another FPS for the PVE market, makes even more sense for it to be within the same game-world and use the same shop, and use the same FPS classes and characters that players that have already spent time developing.

One suggestion I would make is that there should be PVP only conts, PVP + PVE continents, and PVE only continents, so people who dont want the PVP or the PVE can get away from it, and also a "grey area" for PVP lovers who dont mind the odd surprise :D

I am really hoping that we see some sort of StarshipTrooper bugs / Xenomorph / Tyranid style race to fight against, even tho I know the Vanu are more likely to look like traditional cone-headed greys with advanced tech...

... or they could do "Graboids" from the Tremors films lol.

-RageMasterUK

Electrofreak
2012-08-09, 07:52 PM
I really hope this is a Smedley yes-because-thats-what-they-want-to-hear statement, or a troll.

Sad that I would hope for such a thing, but I'd rather not see PVE in PlanetSide. Last thing we need is people avoiding battles so they can farm mobs.

Envenom
2012-08-09, 08:14 PM
bahahaa nice. good to hear

Zulthus
2012-08-09, 08:30 PM
All I'm saying is, if you already planned to put PvE in, use the resources on something people actually want like vehicle enter/exit animations.

mindmines
2012-08-09, 08:38 PM
Personally I think it could be planet creatures. That would be awesome to get attacked by a swarm of giant dinosaurs. LOL, no but in all seriousness, I guess we will just have to wait and find out.

Goku
2012-08-09, 08:39 PM
FYI guys that picture posted with Smed saying that stuff about PvE elements was fake.

Nothing on his twitter with that.

http://es.twitter.com/j_smedley

Envenom
2012-08-09, 08:45 PM
FYI guys that picture posted with Smed saying that stuff about PvE elements was fake.

oooOOOOOooo someone just punked all of PSU

scroogh
2012-08-09, 08:50 PM
That troll must have creamed his pants so hard... if it actually is a troll though.

SniperSteve
2012-08-09, 09:24 PM
Bad move.... Want PvE, play Global Agenda. Oh wait, you don't like that game? Point proven....

Trafalgar
2012-08-09, 09:50 PM
You guys are all overthinking this. The fourth faction will be the cacti & canyons, obviously.

The cacti are the mightiest power on Auraxis.

cellinaire
2012-08-09, 09:52 PM
0_0? Isn't this already mentioned by them last year?

(and at least this will be a bit better than Black Ops which SOE introduced in PS1....)

Goku
2012-08-09, 09:54 PM
0_0? Isn't this already mentioned by them last year?

(and at least this will be a bit better than Black Ops which SOE introduced in PS1....)

People tend to forget things and there is tons more people following the game now that never knew this.

Tuoweit
2012-08-09, 10:18 PM
If they have some kind of PvE with aliens, I only have two words to say: Space Hulk.

fod
2012-08-09, 10:51 PM
id rather see so many other things in the game other than PVE
imo its a waste of dev time that could be spent somewhere else useful and more fun for the players

OnexBigxHebrew
2012-08-09, 10:55 PM

I see what you did there.

Sifer2
2012-08-09, 10:57 PM
Well all the other "MMOFPS" are already doing that. Firefall is pushing that hard. So is that other one I forget that is going to be on consoles. I think Planetside 2 should push to the be the real sandbox PvP focused MMOFPS. With scale the others can't touch which is why its way better than Dust 514.

Electrofreak
2012-08-09, 11:06 PM

Hate to burst your bubble Goku, but it's real:

http://es.twitter.com/j_smedley/status/233550830396121088

Unless you're referring to some other image that was posted somewhere that I've missed.

Baneblade
2012-08-09, 11:16 PM
This could be very bad.

Goku
2012-08-09, 11:18 PM
Hate to burst your bubble Goku, but it's real:

http://es.twitter.com/j_smedley/status/233550830396121088

Unless you're referring to some other image that was posted somewhere that I've missed.

Thats real yes. SOE said they may introduce a AI faction for special events sometime last year.

A user here posted a photoshop picture of Smed's twitter trying to troll folks here. Basically saying there would be actual PvE content 24/7.

sameer
2012-08-09, 11:40 PM
I can see pvp getting boring quick. Id really like some quests and pve to take a break.

Sunrock
2012-08-09, 11:48 PM
I will quit playing this game when they introduce PvE content for sure. FPS combat and PvE is really really really boring.

I mean who the hell buy a FPS game for there PvE?!?!

If I want PvE I would go play STWOR or any other game what have a deep and rich story line to follow.

IHateMMOs
2012-08-09, 11:58 PM
Guys, this was a tweet by John Smedley. Have you forgotten how clueless he is about the game? xD I think he just answered that tweet just for the sake of answering it. I doubt there will be any PvE in the game. A 4th faction, maybe, but not PvE. So don't trust Smed with big questions like that.

PhoenixDog
2012-08-10, 12:13 AM
Training situations only. If implemented into main play, the population will outrage

I can see pvp getting boring quick. Id really like some quests and pve to take a break.

AHAHAHAHA...Sorry...You didn't play PS1, did you...

Electrofreak
2012-08-10, 12:25 AM
Thats real yes. SOE said they may introduce a AI faction for special events sometime last year.

A user here posted a photoshop picture of Smed's twitter trying to troll folks here. Basically saying there would be actual PvE content 24/7.

Thanks for clearing that up man... I suspected I'd misunderstood you, and I never saw that image.

Hunterzen
2012-08-10, 12:33 AM

DAFUQ u just say?

Archonzero
2012-08-10, 01:12 AM
A constant AI PvE enemy... no thanks.

Though the Vanu have re-engineered the alien tech that was found on Auraxxis. The entire backstory (aside from the human / faction part) was surrounded by the non-existing alien archeological/tech found.

I can very well appreciate the idea of a "SPECIAL EVENT" DEV only / NPC playable 4th faction that would suddenly appear like the aliens in Battle for Los Angeles. Rear it's ugly head for a day or two maybe a week, then disappear for a month or more. An alien incursion/raid style on one of the continents that is currently locked in a multiplayer faction war for continental control.

Introducing special missions/rewards for repelling/securing, maybe competing with other factions for or requiring co-operative faction cease fires in order to combat a threat, that if left unchecked...

A) gets more powerful as it consumes faction held territory
B) if certain features held by a specific faction are lost, could result in a timed lockout from that continent.
C) significant xp gains, special reward unlocks (gear/titles/enhancements)

I mean I'm completely 100% with you on being against the idea of a 4th NPC faction always roaming, attacking things like mindless automatons. But the idea of something akin to a player controlled "Tyranids/Zerg/Flood/Forerrunner" style AI sporadic assaults to break up the faction vs faction vs faction warfare every blue moon, seems like a fun bit of spice. An something the DEVs can sink into like the nasty Storteller/DMs of old spoiling the player vs player driven storylines with unforseen conflict.

Also, gives the NC an TR more reason for hating on the VS, maybe the VS tinkering an reverse engineering alien tech alerted the alien progenitors to the human presence and are now toying with us to see how we think/react/function.

mr sandman
2012-08-10, 01:44 AM
A constant AI PvE enemy... no thanks.

I can very well appreciate the idea of "SPECIAL EVENT" PS2 DEV only / NPC playable 4th faction that would suddenly appear like Battle for Los Angeles. Rear it's ugly head for a day or two maybe a week, then disappear for a month or more. An alien incursion/raid style on one of the continents that is currently locked in a multiplayer faction war for continental control.

think/react/function.

thats sounds like a really cool idea for when things get slow on a certain map.

RabbleRabble
2012-08-10, 02:22 AM
I will quit playing this game when they introduce PvE content for sure. FPS combat and PvE is really really really boring.

Then don't play it, simple. Don't ruin it for the ones that want it.

Archonzero
2012-08-10, 02:27 AM
A DEV/SOE controlled/player faction could be sort of drone based entity. Where the DEV/SOE controlled unit has a squads of (or more) AI controlled NPC units, that follow commands akin to any single player controlled NPC group.

If this were a possible idea, I'd really opt for them utilizing control of multiple drone squads (a platoon worth of mixed units) each a squad of 6 (more or less), depending on the overall unit mix archetypes.

For example: light assault (10), heavy assault(4-6), support (3-6) an a MAX sized brutes (2-4). Each unit within the individual squads would get assigned a string of AI order parameters before being dropped into play. Such as attack/defend parameters, max distance from controller, heal/repair priorities or group attachment designations. Parameters could be scout (dist min max radius), defend/support, threat prioritization based on weapon loadouts for air, vehicle, infantry. Each parameter having in play overrides that the controller can execute.

While the DEV/SOE controller unit would have to be immensely resilient, with powerful weapons. Think something akin to the VS tech but amped (x3/x5/x10) for damage output. A coordinated firepower would be required to eliminate a controller unit would disable the drone/controlled AI units?

Once eliminated these creatures might leave something behind that like a football would need to be secured an taken to a base within a specific time limit in order to gain the credit an any reward(s). Or the item finally breaks down, dissolves, ceases to be of any real value. The rewards could be faction specific unlocks, which could be any number of additions, upgrades etcetera. Making them also sought after by rival factions, once they're taken down.

Still though any idea on a possible 4th faction is beyond a FAR away conception/implementation. Lets get this game up, running an gunning first an foremost.

Venator
2012-08-10, 02:28 AM
Love how some people are acting like they know exactly what was meant by the PvE elements that MIGHT be added. This isn't even a discussion at this point without something more concrete than "in the future we'll tell you more".

For all we know it could be some random wildlife on the continents.

Canaris
2012-08-10, 02:29 AM
It will probably be the original Vanu race coming back to their ancestral home to find it infected with us,
What would you do if you got home and found someone had been sleeping in your bed, eating your porridge & nicked your TV. I'd be a little miffed

Archonzero
2012-08-10, 02:48 AM
If it were to happen, those would be my exact thoughts as well Canaris.

As for knowing, I've not a clue what they've planned. I'm just sourcing out my own creative take/ideas on what if's/possibilities. My brain just works that way sometimes.

Malckeor
2012-08-10, 03:18 AM
I mean who the hell buy a FPS game for there PvE?!?!

Borderlands is a co-op loot-based RPG/Shooter hybrid where you kill a bunch of things. It only really has PvE, and that game is TONS of fun with friends.

Couple that with all of the FPS's that have awesome campaigns (Metro 2033 comes to mind), and you've got a whole bunch of shooters that people buy for "PvE."

OT: Planetside 2 having some form of PvE would definitely be interesting. I like the idea that Archonzero posted where a fourth PvE faction would show up on one of the continents and stay there for a few days and then disappear for an amount of time. However, I doubt that PS2's PvE will be anything substantial outside of some training program with AI.

IHateMMOs
2012-08-10, 03:28 AM
Then don't play it, simple. Don't ruin it for the ones that want it.

Majority of the people DON'T want it, FYI.

Sunrock
2012-08-10, 03:32 AM
Borderlands is a co-op loot-based RPG/Shooter hybrid where you kill a bunch of things. It only really has PvE, and that game is TONS of fun with friends.

I played Borderland for 2 days and got so bored of it after that. Sure it was really fun the first 10 hours or so of game play. But as soon as you got a few levels and got some good weapons it just became mind numbingly easy and boring.

Sure it's always fun to play co-op. But I also want some challenge in my games too.

PS: Only "shooter" I found fun to play was Mass Effect. But it was mainly because of the story line. Not because of the challenging game play.

Mongo
2012-08-10, 03:37 AM

That was me coming back a little intoxicated after a successful night out and feeling pranky, sorry about that :D

andehh
2012-08-10, 03:57 AM
This is a PVP game, anything that is PVE detracts from the main ideal of the game. It dilutes it and risks alienating the core principles, devs will end up being drawn off bug fixing and implementing new PVP content to build ai systems and aimbots.

Don't overstretch! The bending was freaking amazing so occasional *out of the blue* type stuff to get everyone talking and wondering is full of WIN (occasion massive dinosaur stampede would be great...) but no instanced PvE, or quests please!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Miniman
2012-08-10, 04:52 AM
I remember him saying not so long ago about wanting to have wildlife in the game. I have a strong feeling this is what is meant. But it sounds like this is far down the dev pipeline - years! So not a worry right now

RushAndAPush
2012-08-10, 07:30 AM
Why would we need more aliens? I thought we had the Vanu for that?

Rago
2012-08-10, 09:33 AM
Ridicolous Rumor if you ask me, we want PVP.

Eduard Khil
2012-08-10, 09:42 AM
Rofl, with space dragons and all?

Sledgecrushr
2012-08-10, 11:41 AM
Some wildlife would be cool. Squirrels, deer, giant bugs. This could be fun. Lol honestly small wildlife would make auraxis better. And i think an easy way to do it would be to take some small wildlife sssets from everquest 3. Its all the same company and all built on the same engine.

Durandal
2012-08-10, 12:50 PM
PVE means player versus ENVIRONMENT, and you know what an environment is? Its things like weather and the random animals that they have talked about, it dosnt mean that there are going to be ai running around all over the place... god some people literally shit themselves over nothing.

That being said

I wouldnt mind fighting AI on REALLY RARE OCCASIONS like say on christmas day, some AI roll up and everyone fights them for like 12 hours and then they are gone till like haloween, these types of incredibly rare situations would actually help to de-stagnate things and give the community a sense of "Hey did you participate in that thing last week" "yeah that was fuckin sweet, I cant wait till next year" type shit.

Malckeor
2012-08-10, 03:12 PM
PS: Only "shooter" I found fun to play was Mass Effect. But it was mainly because of the story line. Not because of the challenging game play.

A bit off topic, but it sounds like you'd enjoy Spec Ops: The Line. Like Mass Effect, it's not very challenging, but it's got a FANTASTIC story and awesome character development. The dialogue that the enemies have before combat, if you choose to listen, is pretty good as well (and it makes you actually feel BAD for killing them all).

This game captured the horrors of war better than any other game I've played. You feel like crap for the last few chapters because of everything that happens over the course of the campaign. Check it out if you haven't.

RoninOni
2012-08-10, 03:23 PM
and all built on the same engine.
:huh:

They built an all new engine just for PS2......

they could probably import the models ofc... but it's def not the same engine

Oryon22
2012-08-10, 03:29 PM
Fuck, who aggro'd!?

Firefly
2012-08-10, 03:35 PM
Do not want.

Hey why don't we make it third-person with tab-targeting and a quick-cast hotbar, call it an MMO-RPG, and then we can play elves and dwarves and cast spells?

NEW CLASS! THE MAGE!

Sledgecrushr
2012-08-10, 03:35 PM
Ronin eq next and ps2 are running the same gfx engine

DSxGIIR
2012-08-10, 03:44 PM
the 4th Faction should be like the Devs. They should be the ones trying to come in and stop the madness between the TR, NC and VS...I think that would be pretty cool.

Roovin
2012-08-10, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is so upset. Even if they added some form of PvE it would only be a minor thing or some sort of an event. If they do end up adding it no one would be forcing you to partake in it. This is a PvP game plain and simple and a touch of PvE here and there wouldn't cause any harm.

Duskguy
2012-08-10, 03:46 PM
i just want big fluffy bunnies that i can ru over in my tank.... maybe a deer or two, but they might dent the hood.

BizzleZX
2012-12-26, 05:12 PM
I would love a 4th Faction.. I wouldn't mind it being PvE aslong as their not overpowered as all hell.

Chewy
2012-12-26, 07:25 PM
Dammit, I fell for the necro bump and read the first 2 pages before looking at the post date.