PDA

View Full Version : Night Battles and big red names

Durandal
2012-08-09, 02:06 PM
Anyone else think that while the night battles that are "very dark" are cool, the giant glowing red names above every enemy kind of makes them not so much of a big deal.

Lets say you round a corner in pitch blackness and see nothing but a red name, you are still gonna be able to kill him in a similar amount of time as if you were using a flashlight...i donno just seems a little weird to me.

sgtviper
2012-08-09, 02:10 PM
well from what i understand they dont have the name above there heads unless they are marked so if no one else saw him it would be dark

Comet
2012-08-09, 02:12 PM
Viper seems to be correct. You'll see that sometimes Higby is also shooting into the darkness at a vague figure. Even in the daylight targets can sneak by if not marked and you're not paying attention.

Durandal
2012-08-09, 02:13 PM
well if thats the case than that helps that situation

Comet
2012-08-09, 02:19 PM
So much is getting fleshed out right now too so I wouldn't worried about things like this :)

Boone
2012-08-09, 02:36 PM
well if thats the case than that helps that situation

Not if you can just hit Q like they did in Battlefield. Let's hope it goes away once behind a structure and/or only lasts for like 1-2 seconds once spotted. I'd prefer it to just "blink" once or twice.

Lord Paladin
2012-08-09, 02:42 PM
Not if you can just hit Q like they did in Battlefield. Let's hope it goes away once behind a structure and/or only lasts for like 1-2 seconds once spotted. I'd prefer it to just "blink" once or twice.

They're playing with the idea of not every class being able to spot. It may end up being an Infiltrator only thing.

adddemon
2012-08-09, 02:44 PM
I'm kinda surprised they are using names, I would have expected triangles ala BF3.

Chrispin
2012-08-09, 02:45 PM
I personally hate the spotting mechanic because it's just too easy to spam Q everywhere you look. I think spotting should only work when you damage the enemy. It could be explained with nanites. The nanite bullets would be able to create a temporary GPS tracker on/in whatever it hit.

chipshop
2012-08-09, 02:54 PM

i'm pretty sure i read somewhere it disappears once the target is out of line of sight...where? no idea...sorry

brighthand
2012-08-09, 03:25 PM
They're playing with the idea of not every class being able to spot. It may end up being an Infiltrator only thing.

please let it be so.

Harasus
2012-08-09, 03:27 PM
Infiltrator spotters sounds like a really good idea.

Masterr
2012-08-09, 03:31 PM
i THINK it is an only infiltrator thing.

Boone
2012-08-09, 03:35 PM

I see. No real issue then on my part. I just hope the people sniping can actually hit something.

BlueSkies
2012-08-09, 03:37 PM
I remember seeing something about infiltrators being able to cert into a better spot (3d spotting), but the basic version is supposed to be something everyone gets.

SFJake
2012-08-09, 03:47 PM
So the spotting we have is manual?

I'd think it would make more sense (and be less annoying as hell) if the basic spotting would be automatic.

Seems like I'd just be hitting Q all day long. And if it can spot people in the night I'd have a hard time seeing, its even worse.

Hamma
2012-08-09, 04:52 PM
well from what i understand they dont have the name above there heads unless they are marked so if no one else saw him it would be dark

Indeed.

Realmofdarkness
2012-08-10, 08:23 AM
What ive seen in videos the night doesnt seem to be that dark at all. It will be more like the moon shining light or something. I found find it interesting and fun if it would be more like pitch black and only spotlights from bases and vehicles would glow up the world. That would bring the combat even closer because you wouldent be able to spot troops until they are right in front of you. maybe locate them by the sound?
It would also make it a nice feature to have user controlled mega spot lights on base walls to locate and 'spot' incoming enemy troops.

Duskguy
2012-08-10, 08:33 AM
really hoping there is a limit and people cant just spam the spot key.

an infiltrator only spot system would be interesting because they would then not be just snipers and assassins but long range spotters for front line soldiers

MrBloodworth
2012-08-10, 08:43 AM
Anyone else think that while the night battles that are "very dark" are cool, the giant glowing red names above every enemy kind of makes them not so much of a big deal.

Lets say you round a corner in pitch blackness and see nothing but a red name, you are still gonna be able to kill him in a similar amount of time as if you were using a flashlight...i donno just seems a little weird to me.

Those names are not always there, you have to place "eyes on target" for a period of time for it to trigger.

Lord Paladin
2012-08-10, 11:56 AM
What ive seen in videos the night doesnt seem to be that dark at all. It will be more like the moon shining light or something. I found find it interesting and fun if it would be more like pitch black and only spotlights from bases and vehicles would glow up the world. That would bring the combat even closer because you wouldent be able to spot troops until they are right in front of you. maybe locate them by the sound?
It would also make it a nice feature to have user controlled mega spot lights on base walls to locate and 'spot' incoming enemy troops.

Higby has said they have the option to play with the darkness level

I would love to see it come in phases. Like "new moon" and "full moon." Never know what you're gonna get.

I just know I want a continent on the "dark side" of the planet which is always night time :P

Or the option to kill the power to a base and fight inside with no lights at all :P

Toppopia
2012-08-10, 05:26 PM

I would love to see it come in phases. Like "new moon" and "full moon." Never know what you're gonna get.

I just know I want a continent on the "dark side" of the planet which is always night time :P

Or the option to kill the power to a base and fight inside with no lights at all :P

As long as they implement night time from pitch black, to almost day time brightness, then everyone will be happy with that. And i would love to beable to sneak in and destroy a bases power supply so all lights turn off. Would make defending soo much harder.

Gugabalog
2012-08-10, 07:05 PM
Yea. Even as a defender that "Oh ****" feeling when bad stuff starts happening is awesome. I.E. The lights going out.

You know....if that were to happen....*gets a funny idea about xenomorphs in PS2 even though he really isn't for PvE*

RageMasterUK
2012-08-10, 07:13 PM
They should do Solar Eclipses!!!

Papscal
2012-08-10, 07:15 PM
Red names must go. Or are ya looking for an arcade style fps? If so theres hundreds out there.

ringring
2012-08-11, 07:10 AM
I really don't know why people are getting excited at not being able to see anything. It would make me more likely to log off tbh.

james
2012-08-11, 07:18 AM
I think its fine, i had many people walk right past me at night.

adddemon
2012-08-11, 07:20 AM
I really don't know why people are getting excited at not being able to see anything. It would make me more likely to log off tbh.

you mean it being really dark? it adds another dynamic to the game is all. however, not being able to see anything is probably not going to happen, i think there is going to be some sort of night vision scopes.

Ivam Akorahil
2012-08-11, 07:24 AM

:O awsome, for an assault you go lights out at night, and then you rape the defenders wiht uber nightvision and stuff

sounds brilliant