PDA

View Full Version : Drop pod chasing? A new sport!

Tobias
2002-11-20, 11:46 AM
I anyone else planing on waiting for drop pods, then when they come pointing the old bolt driver at the door and picking off the poor sod as he gets out? Sounds like great fun to me. Could also be fun doing it with a tank. Another question though: how long do dreop pods remain after you get out? do they like self destruct? it would be cool to use them as cover but having like 30 where your group just droped in would be gay and laggy.

xuur
2002-11-20, 11:59 AM
you mean spawn camping?

not my style thanks.

Tobias
2002-11-20, 12:05 PM
They dont have to spawn there, i am mearly keeping troops from reinfocing the NME while we are taking a base by killing them.

NapalmEnima
2002-11-20, 12:10 PM
I think "spawn camping" on drop pods will be quite different from what is meant in the traditional use of the phrase.

Killing someone who just spawned generally means b!tch-smacking someone who hasn't had a chance to collect armor and weapons.

Nailing someone fresh from a pod is a different matter. They're as geared up as much as they're going to get.

It's still gonna suck to wait a minute just to land, then die... but it's on even terms (not including vehicles).

That's the risk you take when you hop in a drop pod. I'm betting it will be fairly obvious to anyone near by that someone dropped... flaming re-entry and all that. If you're dropping in hostile territory, you can expect a welcoming commitee within 60 seconds of touching down. Or less.

So plugging a guy as he comes out of his pod seems LESS bad than toasting someone fresh out of the tube, but still a little uncool. But only a little.

And I wouldn't be suprised to find that the pods never hit the ground... breaking up to drop the player while still well above ground (100 ft?). Remeber, all armors have that parachute-ish techno-gizmo to avoid taking falling damage.

But it would be nice to have a pod around for some cover.

Time will tell.

Tobias
2002-11-20, 12:19 PM
what he said ^
|
|

sYn pHrEAk
2002-11-20, 01:19 PM
can't drop in hostile territory... only in neutral... i think pods are going to be more of an easy way to get around rather than an attack method... from what i've read that is... read the devchat its in there i think

CrazyMike
2002-11-20, 02:33 PM
Since you can't drop into enemy territory (whithin thier sphere of influence), sitting around waiting or hunting for drop pods is going to be pretty tough. First off I would imagine it would take a sizeable squad to do the damage you are picturing. Being that the pods only drop into neutral or friendly territory I highly doubt that sizeable squad is going to be left alone long enough to make a sport out of hunting pods.

CrazyMike

Hamma
2002-11-20, 03:10 PM
^ What Mike said

Who knows where its going to land? This land is vast.. it could come down anywhere. Sure you cna see them.. but the by the time you get to their location they probably will have already deployed.

NapalmEnima
2002-11-20, 03:40 PM
I suspect drop pod hunting will be yet another use for air patrols.

Buzz the location with a scout, s/he calls out what kind of support they need (if any), and then it's "A Time To Kill".

A few Lightenings toolin' around would be good too. 3-5 light tanks should be able to take on a full squad of infantry without too much trouble.

snipe
2002-11-20, 04:29 PM
you still take some damage when you fall from hights, even with the gravitiy reducing thing

Noxx
2002-11-20, 04:49 PM
Drop Pod huntin' won't be all that fun.

Do the words needle in a haystack mean anything?

The ph3r3t confers.

Incompetent
2002-11-20, 06:10 PM
i don't know about a sport but i would suspect there will be a few people riding around in harrasers waiting for fire to fall from the sky, hoping to keep the nme cap troopers from linking up, probably calling in a sunderer or two to make the problem go away for good.

CrazyMike
2002-11-20, 07:02 PM
I think it will probably end up more like a "target of opportunity". Say for instance you happen to be out and about.. looking for trouble.. and a drop pod comes down near your position. Yes indeed it will be fun to hustle your squad over there to pick off those barney's as the come out the door. :D

CrazyMike

xuur
2002-11-20, 09:23 PM
yeah, ok. that I can live with. fortunes of war and all that

hmm...this could really be a different kind of warfare
:clap:

Mtx
2002-11-20, 10:57 PM
Drop pods remind me of how the troops were deployed in the Quake 2 storyline. The Galaxy dropship also reminds me of the Copperhead from Final Fantasy movie.