PDA

View Full Version : NDA on GamesCom?

Nazzov
2012-08-16, 08:36 AM
Since GamesCom is a public event, things seen there aren't under NDA, right?

I'm wondering what I can and can not talk about after I've been to GamesCom?
I'm not in beta yet, so there quite a few certificate related questions I still have and would like to test, and if possible, discuss.
And then, can people under NDA join in on that discussion, or can only those that were actually at GamesCom talk about what they have seen? (Even though it is the same.)

Grimster
2012-08-16, 08:39 AM
People unde NDA can't discuss it if they haven't seen it at Gamescom.

That can be a bit tricky but in reality they have to sort out what they have seen at public events etc.

Syphus
2012-08-16, 08:46 AM
You're not in the beta, there is no NDA for you.

Anything at Gamescom should be considered public knowledge. It would take a pretty giant leap of logic to consider any of that under an NDA, especially since Gamescom already had press day. In addition, it would be really hard to prove that someone didn't see it at Gamescom and only in the beta.

This is kind of rambly, but I think the point might've been gotten across. You might as well just ask questions and then see.

Shogun
2012-08-16, 08:54 AM
no nda on the gamescom version!

but remember, the build shown there was an older build and nothing in the cert or weapon section shown there was in its final stages.

mostly placeholders, and the prices are also placeholders.

i wanted to take pictures of the cert trees to show here, but my cellphone has no flash, so the pics were too blurry to read anything.
and since the devs told me that this build was the old one from chinajoy and the cert stuff is work in progress, i didn´t care too much.

there even was a vehicle weapon named "planetside 2" and the description said "planetside 2", nothing more.
but it looked like they are planning to include specialized aa/av/ai versions of most vehicle weapons.
so the customisation possibilities are huge.

the cert system in the china build doesn´t even work. there are some certs unlocked for showing off the custo options, but i couldn´t unlock anything new, even when i had enough certpoints to unlock everything (most items were priced at 1 credit (auraxium or whatever ressource is the currency)

Nazzov
2012-08-16, 09:21 AM
I was wondering more about the fact that it was said that eventually you would be able to "learn" all certs.

But what I haven't seen yet, in any of the videos, is how these certs then affect your character/vehicle/weapon.

I've seen, in one of the videos, the screen where you select what offensive, defensive and support customizations you want for a vehicle; there was also a certificate tab there, but it wasn't opened.

On that tab, do you select which of your learned certs are active, in the same manner as you select which customizations are active, or does that just open the certificate options for that vehicle?

Syphus
2012-08-16, 09:28 AM
I was wondering more about the fact that it was said that eventually you would be able to "learn" all certs.

But what I haven't seen yet, in any of the videos, is how these certs then affect your character/vehicle/weapon.

I've seen, in one of the videos, the screen where you select what offensive, defensive and support customizations you want for a vehicle; there was also a certificate tab there, but it wasn't opened.

On that tab, do you select which of your learned certs are active, in the same manner as you select which customizations are active, or does that just open the certificate options for that vehicle?

If you watch in the Higby streams, at least in one of them he shows the screen that has all the stats and there's a cert button, you go in there and select the certs. Then that gives the option.

For example, Higby learns some of the scope certs and then he has the option to use the scope attachment.

I am pretty sure it is just like PS1 where you learn a cert and it always gives you the option to then use whatever thing you certed in to, but you can only equip / attach / whatever a certain amount of things.

Nazzov
2012-08-16, 09:39 AM
I am pretty sure it is just like PS1 where you learn a cert and it always gives you the option to then use whatever thing you certed in to, but you can only equip / attach / whatever a certain amount of things.

Well, it has been said that you can start with all vehicles and all classes available. (and I don't remember any weapons which have been said to not be available at BR1)
So that is allready different from PS1.

But my concerns are more about "CR" certs.
If you can learn everything eventually, then eventually everybody will have all CR certs like waypoints/squad spawning/OS (if they're in)

So what is to prevent everybody from using all those certs?
Do you (like with vehicle customizations) still have to choose to be able to either allow squad mates to spawn on you, to call an OS, or to carry a jammer for example?

Hamma
2012-08-16, 09:44 AM
Anything at Gamescom should be considered public knowledge. .

This.

Syphus
2012-08-16, 11:43 AM
Well, it has been said that you can start with all vehicles and all classes available. (and I don't remember any weapons which have been said to not be available at BR1)
So that is allready different from PS1.

But my concerns are more about "CR" certs.
If you can learn everything eventually, then eventually everybody will have all CR certs like waypoints/squad spawning/OS (if they're in)

So what is to prevent everybody from using all those certs?
Do you (like with vehicle customizations) still have to choose to be able to either allow squad mates to spawn on you, to call an OS, or to carry a jammer for example?

Yes, that's basically it. The limiting factor is that you can only have X number of things equipped at any given time.

Comet
2012-08-16, 12:06 PM
Nazzov, while I don't know the exact specifics of the answer to your question, it has been stated that it's not going to be like PS1 where everyone could do every task. Between the class system and the cert system, players will have to pick and choose their powers and not be able to do everything.

On top of that, it was mentioned that it would take years to get every cert so it's unlikely everyone is going to have OS, squad spawning ect. I am sure there will also be limitations on these powers to make it redundant to stack them with other squad mates.

EVILPIG
2012-08-16, 09:09 PM
1. Beta is not the only way to come under an NDA.

2. Unless you have signed, in real life or digitally agreed to one, you are not under NDA.

basti
2012-08-16, 09:14 PM

You start with a basic version of all Vehicles and Classes.

With Certs and Ingame ressources, you can then unlock different weapons and attachments for those weapons.

Shogun
2012-08-17, 03:48 AM
ok, i´l try to explain what i have seen how the cert system worked in the gamescom build.
remember everything may change till release!

you have a cert tree for every class. it consists of several class based things (think of different blueprints for engineers ACEs or cloaks for the infiltrator)

if you unlock a weapon, another branch in the appropriate class certs opens for this weapons attachments like scopes surpressors and things like that.

you can unlock these certs and are free to use the unlocked stuff from there on. (unlockable with certpoints)

to use the stuff, you open the customise menu on the weapon you want to customise and get a list of your fitting unlocked items to slap them on the gun. from there on you spawn with the weapon customised like this until you change this classes loadout. there are only a few slots on your weapon to put things on, so you cannot build an ueberweapon with all attatchments.
at gamescom it was 1 optics slot (scopes), 1 frontend slot (surpressor, laserpointer, forehandle) and one camo slot for the cosmetic stuff

i am not sure, if the weapons system for vehicles is totally the same, because of the resource costs involved. they didn´t seem to work in the chinajoy/gamescom build. but basicly you get your certs again and slap the weapons on the vehicles just like you do with the gun attachments.
same system applies. only limited weapon slots and slots for special stuff like cosmetics, utility stuff (better radar) and security stuff like countermeasures.

Papscal
2012-08-17, 01:24 PM
Anything at Gamescom should be considered public knowledge.

Hard to believe it these things need to be explained.

Nazzov
2012-08-17, 08:59 PM
Hard to believe it these things need to be explained.

It shouldn't, and if you'd read the rest of my posts you could have seen it was more of an attention grabber to start a discussion about my question about certs.

to use the stuff, you open the customise menu on the weapon you want to customise and get a list of your fitting unlocked items to slap them on the gun. from there on you spawn with the weapon customised like this until you change this classes loadout. there are only a few slots on your weapon to put things on, so you cannot build an ueberweapon with all attatchments.
at gamescom it was 1 optics slot (scopes), 1 frontend slot (surpressor, laserpointer, forehandle) and one camo slot for the cosmetic stuff

i am not sure, if the weapons system for vehicles is totally the same, because of the resource costs involved. they didn´t seem to work in the chinajoy/gamescom build. but basicly you get your certs again and slap the weapons on the vehicles just like you do with the gun attachments.
same system applies. only limited weapon slots and slots for special stuff like cosmetics, utility stuff (better radar) and security stuff like countermeasures.

That is correct, I looked at it today, but apart from those three tabs with customizations there is also a "certs" tab, but that one wasn't active.
So I still don't quite understand what kind of customizations go there? Do CR skills go there, or can eventually everybody have all CR skills active at the same time?
(Someone also replied that it was mentioned that learning all certs could take years; yes, that was said, but don't forget PS1 ran for 8 years.)

Kordoyn
2012-08-17, 09:41 PM
It seems that the Cert system will work in a similar fashion to the EvE skill system, with a bonus while you're logged in. It will be curious to see if the time frame for training is similar as well. In theory in EvE you can learn EVERY skill, but the sheer magnitude of skills and time consideration makes it impossible.

RoninOni
2012-08-17, 10:22 PM
That is correct, I looked at it today, but apart from those three tabs with customizations there is also a "certs" tab, but that one wasn't active.
So I still don't quite understand what kind of customizations go there? Do CR skills go there, or can eventually everybody have all CR skills active at the same time?
(Someone also replied that it was mentioned that learning all certs could take years; yes, that was said, but don't forget PS1 ran for 8 years.)

CR = command skills?

Some will only be active if your a squad leader (ie; Squad spawn beacon) others might even require Platoon leader or to be in an outfit.

There won't be an overwhelming amount of anything there shouldn't be in other words

Renegadeknight
2012-08-17, 11:13 PM
Isn't command rank experience only gained by being squad/platoon leader anyway? If so, I figure a lot of people who are either zerging or just following won't even touch the stuff.

Papscal
2012-08-17, 11:32 PM
It shouldn't, and if you'd read the rest of my posts you could have seen it was more of an attention grabber to start a discussion about my question about certs.

Your question was ignorant. Maybe use a better thought out "attention grabber"?

RoninOni
2012-08-18, 02:44 AM
Not really ignorant... maybe he just didn't wanna say something he shouldn't where he thought it might affect his beta eligibility and wasn't 100% positive.

That's why you often can't take video or pictures unless you have a media pass... because they don't want any visuals out that aren't approved or expected. You can talk about it, but without and video or pictures people can only take your word.

Nazzov
2012-08-18, 08:10 AM
Isn't command rank experience only gained by being squad/platoon leader anyway? If so, I figure a lot of people who are either zerging or just following won't even touch the stuff.

In PS2 CR experience doesn't exist anymore, anyone can level up their CR skills while playing (even if not a squad or platoon leader)

CR = command skills?

Yeah, but I don't really know what will be in game, so I just call them CR skills, but in PS1 this would be skills like painting on the map, setting waypoints, revealing enemies and OSs.
In PS2, I believe, only squad spawning is confirmed to be a "CR" cert skill.

Some will only be active if your a squad leader (ie; Squad spawn beacon) others might even require Platoon leader or to be in an outfit.

There won't be an overwhelming amount of anything there shouldn't be in other words

If those CR skills can only be used when you are a squad or platoon leader, that would probably balance it a bit. (unless everyone gets a 2 man squad?)

Shogun
2012-08-18, 09:12 AM
a lot of customisations and certs were still inactive in the chinajoy build.

so it´s hard to say more than i already did.

the main thing is, that in the cert menu you unlock all kind of customisation options and skills, and on the customise windows you slap the new things on your weapons.

and then there is the store where you can buy entire new weapons that will give you access to new cert unlocks for them.

i forgot to check the leader cert tree. but i think it´s a sure bet that it will consist of similar things the CR system in ps1 had. painting on map, setting squad waypoints, maybe some show friendlys and enemys on map things and orbital strikes.
in one of the last interviews matt said that the leader abilitys will only be accessable when actually leading a squad! that´s a major change from ps1. because most cr functions were always usable, no matter if you were leading a squad or not.