PDA

View Full Version : Predator Compared to Infiltrator

Dominator
2012-08-18, 10:00 PM
You guys are probably going to say that I am crazy, but the Predator is comparable to the Vanu Infiltrator as in the way they look. Also I am not talking about the actual appearance of the Predator, but when it is cloaked, it has a slimmer body shape and in one scene from the first movie its eyes glow.

Predator
http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u400/dominator1000/predator.jpg

Vanu Sovereignty Infiltrator
http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u400/dominator1000/Infiltrator.jpg

Now granted in the pictures I have selected the Vanu is not cloaked, and like I said previously the Predator does not look like the Vanu when uncloaked, but when cloaked with the glowing eyes they look pretty similar. This was just something I thought while watching the movie today, and it also shows how excited I am for PS2 that I think of this on a totally unrelated movie.

So what do you guys think? Do they look similar or is it just me and sleep deprivation? ;)

Renegadeknight
2012-08-18, 10:02 PM
umm since when do vs visors glow. Also almost all cloaking devices in current games do that shimmer when close thing. Not sure if it originated from the predator however.

edit- I guess they do glow in the cinematic, the in game shots don't look so glowy to me though.

Dominator
2012-08-18, 10:11 PM
umm since when do vs visors glow. Also almost all cloaking devices in current games do that shimmer when close thing. Not sure if it originated from the predator however.

Hmm thought they did glow somewhat, also I was not claiming Predator to be the first or anything like that, although Predator was pretty accurate as in real cloaking technology would still be slightly visible as bent light still is a bit noticeable compared to things before that where some slips on a ring of invisibility and they disappear, not sure if the Predator was the first to depict cloaking that way though

Toppopia
2012-08-18, 10:20 PM
I hope infiltrators can be deadly like a predator. An infiltrator should be able to stab 1-2 people if they are skilled and quickly slink away while the enemy is confused/demoralized at the death of 2 people to an invisible enemy. I am guessing this won't happen, but it would have added to the infiltrators abilities.

Dominator
2012-08-18, 10:45 PM
I hope infiltrators can be deadly like a predator. An infiltrator should be able to stab 1-2 people if they are skilled and quickly slink away while the enemy is confused/demoralized at the death of 2 people to an invisible enemy. I am guessing this won't happen, but it would have added to the infiltrators abilities.

Well if you are cloaked with a knife in your hands and if there was a cert for a quicker knife jab then you could build your class to allow for this, guess we will find out when we are let into beta

Toppopia
2012-08-18, 10:52 PM
Well if you are cloaked with a knife in your hands and if there was a cert for a quicker knife jab then you could build your class to allow for this, guess we will find out when we are let into beta

I havn;t seen any 1 hit knife kills, i even saw Higby run up behind a TR at one point in one of his streams, and knifed him, and the enemy only took shield damage, so Higby then shot him. So i hope that gets changed to 1 hit kill from behind only and 2 at front or side.

Blackwolf
2012-08-18, 11:21 PM

I find it hard to believe that any human player could pull a stunt off like that with anything more then just sheer luck.

For one thing, players won't get demoralized quite so easily when comrades die like that, and as players in a game it's something we expect to happen, or at least it's within the realm of conceivable possibilities. We have a basic understanding that it is entirely possible for another player to cloak and go stabby stabby on people, and we have counter measures.

If you were on a commando team in the middle of the rain forest and you suddenly saw members of your squad just die to knife wounds and couldn't see what caused them... You would freak the eff out.

In other words, no infiltrators won't be deadly like Predator. They will be deadly, but taking out 2 guys and just "vanishing" with others still there will never happen intentionally. For one thing, it's way to easy to focus in on that shimmer and gun it down at close-moderate ranges. Things like freak out time and disorientation that would normally help a lone infiltrator control the fight like that wouldn't be a factor in this.

Dominator
2012-08-18, 11:50 PM
I find it hard to believe that any human player could pull a stunt off like that with anything more then just sheer luck.

For one thing, players won't get demoralized quite so easily when comrades die like that, and as players in a game it's something we expect to happen, or at least it's within the realm of conceivable possibilities. We have a basic understanding that it is entirely possible for another player to cloak and go stabby stabby on people, and we have counter measures.

If you were on a commando team in the middle of the rain forest and you suddenly saw members of your squad just die to knife wounds and couldn't see what caused them... You would freak the eff out.

In other words, no infiltrators won't be deadly like Predator. They will be deadly, but taking out 2 guys and just "vanishing" with others still there will never happen intentionally. For one thing, it's way to easy to focus in on that shimmer and gun it down at close-moderate ranges. Things like freak out time and disorientation that would normally help a lone infiltrator control the fight like that wouldn't be a factor in this.
Well said, still it would be fun to try and play the role of the Predator just to see if you could successfully do that just once so you can fell like you are a stealthy high tech ninja, but yeah as far as it playing out like Predator, no that would not happen, because u dont freak out when a computer animation gets killed from an unknown target. Another downside to trying to be the Predator is that if anyone puts mud on themselves your Infrared Helmet will apparently not detect their heat signal at all (if you have watched the movie you know what I am talking about).

Blackwolf
2012-08-19, 12:21 AM
Well said, still it would be fun to try and play the role of the Predator just to see if you could successfully do that just once so you can fell like you are a stealthy high tech ninja, but yeah as far as it playing out like Predator, no that would not happen, because u dont freak out when a computer animation gets killed from an unknown target. Another downside to trying to be the Predator is that if anyone puts mud on themselves your Infrared Helmet will apparently not detect their heat signal at all (if you have watched the movie you know what I am talking about).

The amazing thing is, that works... For about a minute and a half until your internal body heat heats up the mud to match it...

RoninOni
2012-08-19, 01:07 AM
so... because the transparent shimmer that's common to almost all recent cloak effects in all visual media is similiar in both PS2 as Predator...

Infiltrator = Predator?

Just makin sure I have this right :|

:groovy:

The amazing thing is, that works... For about a minute and a half until your internal body heat heats up the mud to match it...

Still a couple degrees cooler...

but yah, you still stand out in IR lol

It's not instant for sure, but I doubt you could finish covering your body before the first part you started with had started warming.

The craziest thing is... we're not to far from this type of tech. Certainly not tomorrow's army... but within our lifetime? Likely.

And the first stages won't be predator like, but more chameleon like.

Toppopia
2012-08-19, 01:13 AM
I had always had an idea about 'invisibility'. Get a suit with hundreds of mini cameras and monitors. And have what is seen on one side projected on the exact monitor on the opposite side of the suit. Sounds simple enough, no fancy bending light or anything like that. But it does make it sound very fragile and wouldn't work too well if you were moving.

RoninOni
2012-08-19, 01:14 AM
I had always had an idea about 'invisibility'. Get a suit with hundreds of mini cameras and monitors. And have what is seen on one side projected on the exact monitor on the opposite side of the suit. Sounds simple enough, no fancy bending light or anything like that. But it does make it sound very fragile and wouldn't work too well if you were moving.

that's pretty much how 1st versions will work.

They'll cover a tank in LCD's, and have cameras and make the tank blend in.

Expensive as hell... but fuq, wudda advantage.

Couple with IR masking and you'd be damn near invisible.

Blackwolf
2012-08-19, 01:29 AM

Advantage? Really?

Not to be a nay sayer or anything but think about that... Really think about it. You have to coat every inch of that tank for it to become viable because with a system like that in place, you can forget about armor. That tank has to be 100% invisible and first shot will probably break that invisibility.

In order for an invisible tank to have an advantage in combat, it's cloak system would have to be able to sustain tremendous shock and be applied over existing armor. Bending light is far more viable then cameras and LCDs because it is so much easier to accomplish over a surface.

Better to develop hologram technology and turn the tank into a rock or something that obstructs light in such a way as to break the silhouette of the tank rather then try to make a tank invisible.

Renegadeknight
2012-08-19, 02:48 AM
Advantage? Really?

Not to be a nay sayer or anything but think about that... Really think about it. You have to coat every inch of that tank for it to become viable because with a system like that in place, you can forget about armor. That tank has to be 100% invisible and first shot will probably break that invisibility.

In order for an invisible tank to have an advantage in combat, it's cloak system would have to be able to sustain tremendous shock and be applied over existing armor. Bending light is far more viable then cameras and LCDs because it is so much easier to accomplish over a surface.

Better to develop hologram technology and turn the tank into a rock or something that obstructs light in such a way as to break the silhouette of the tank rather then try to make a tank invisible.
Wouldn't dirt and such also give the tank away?(the LCD one not the light bending.)

Rivenshield
2012-08-19, 03:31 AM
*GET TO DA CHOPPAH*

I just wanted to say that.

RoninOni
2012-08-19, 04:08 AM
Advantage? Really?

??????

first hit would for sure destroy it's camoflage system but it would be placed on top of existing armor.

in any case, they already have prototypes more like I described... bending light itself is still beyond us

Dominator
2012-08-19, 06:11 AM
so... because the transparent shimmer that's common to almost all recent cloak effects in all visual media is similiar in both PS2 as Predator...

Infiltrator = Predator?

Just makin sure I have this right :|

:groovy:

Still a couple degrees cooler...

but yah, you still stand out in IR lol

It's not instant for sure, but I doubt you could finish covering your body before the first part you started with had started warming.

The craziest thing is... we're not to far from this type of tech. Certainly not tomorrow's army... but within our lifetime? Likely.

And the first stages won't be predator like, but more chameleon like.
Actually they already have been able to make small objects and certain still objects invisible, the way that invisibility could work is by bending light around the object to make it look like its not there however there would still be a shimmer as bent light could still be picked out from normal light. One of the ways to bend light is by using crystals to bend it, but I imagine there would be a more efficient way then that such because bending light with crystals would not very good for an object that needs to bend and move like a human for example, I imagine there will be some sort of electric device that bends the light around the user, but who knows maybe some day we will have full human invisibility.

Timujingeo
2012-08-19, 08:49 AM
Fibre-optics might work; in a simple scenario imagine a panel with thousands of fibre-optic bundles each bundle lining up perfectly front and back but in a 'U' configuration so that the object to be hidden sits in the U.
Bulky sure, but power usage zero and certainly effective from one direction at least.

VikingKong
2012-08-19, 10:51 AM
I havn;t seen any 1 hit knife kills, i even saw Higby run up behind a TR at one point in one of his streams, and knifed him, and the enemy only took shield damage, so Higby then shot him. So i hope that gets changed to 1 hit kill from behind only and 2 at front or side.
The Inf gets certs for melee, though. Hopefully a max-level melee skill won't be so useless for ninja-ing.

MaxDamage
2012-08-19, 01:34 PM
Wouldn't dirt and such also give the tank away?(the LCD one not the light bending.)

Not on a magrider.

Dominator
2012-08-19, 02:45 PM
Have they released to the public anything about whether or not IR scopes will pick up invisible people? I am not in beta so I don't know and if you are in beta don't violate your NDA

Sledgecrushr
2012-08-19, 02:56 PM
It would be bad assed to see an infiltrator just materialize out if thin air and wedge a knife in some dudes back

PredatorFour
2012-08-19, 04:27 PM
Being a vanu infiltrator myself, in reply to the OP .... "no comment" ;)

Masterr
2012-08-19, 05:21 PM
Nothing is cooler than a predator. Not even infiltrators.

Dominator
2012-08-19, 06:48 PM
Being a vanu infiltrator myself, in reply to the OP .... "no comment" ;)
So are you saying infiltrators are better or are comparable to a predator what are you saying?

Nothing is cooler than a predator. Not even infiltrators.

+1 to that, it is definitely better then those nasty little purple guys that worship likely extinct aliens ;) But disregarding my thoughts on the Vanu, the Predators are pretty cool, I mean they've got a wide range of gear including a cloak, IR vision, a couple of laser type guns mounted on its suit, it has a ton of gear in its suit too including a healing kit and Predator suits have the functionality of a quite large explosion so that even if the Predator is about to die, it still has a possibility of taking down its prey with them.

Rhasta
2012-08-20, 06:55 AM

Let me break that concept with one word: Shadows.

Sorry. :p

Dominator
2012-08-20, 03:21 PM
Let me break that concept with one word: Shadows.

Sorry. :p

Would bending light around someone or something still cause a shadow or no since light can still pass around them, hhmmm idk

Gugabalog
2012-08-20, 05:15 PM
Using refraction as active camo does not leave shadows. Wiki refraction.

Toppopia
2012-08-20, 05:30 PM
If you refracted light around an object then made sure it bent back to the direction it was heading before if got bent, then it would leave no shadows and an observer would just see the background.

This is all highschool physics people :lol:

RoninOni
2012-08-20, 05:40 PM
^Largely theoretical physics...

Actually creating light infraction in a functional manner is, I'd imagine, still several years out....

but then...

you never do know what they actually got and ain't tellin us :P

PredatorFour
2012-08-20, 05:51 PM
So are you saying infiltrators are better or are comparable to a predator what are you saying?

The clue is in my name lol. I loved knifing people in planetside as infiltrator, comparable to predator ..definately. The forceblade was badass and a challenge when you had to get 5,6,7 in a row killstreaks in a game with lasers, machine guns and shotguns. The idea of a knife v shotgun was a challenge i greatly admired;)

Dominator
2012-08-20, 07:28 PM
The clue is in my name lol. I loved knifing people in planetside as infiltrator, comparable to predator ..definately. The forceblade was badass and a challenge when you had to get 5,6,7 in a row killstreaks in a game with lasers, machine guns and shotguns. The idea of a knife v shotgun was a challenge i greatly admired;)

Can't believe i didn't look at your name, but i guess that going mostly knife kills would be pretty cool and challenging and it would be fun seeing your enemies reaction as u run up to them with a knife, plus if there were weapon stats if you got your knife to your most kill weapon people would think that is cool.

And to everyone else talking about invisibility, from what they have actually told the public there have been case of making small objects invisible by bending the light around the object and I believe they have also been able to make some larger objects that are always in one place invisible too, but don't quote me on that, I just remember seeing it on a news site before, but if such a technology did exist for portable human use i am guessing that the public would not know about it for a long time

VikingKong
2012-08-21, 09:11 AM
it would be fun seeing your enemies reaction as u run up to them with a knife
Yeah, it's just a shame you can't. :(

Dominator
2012-08-21, 03:23 PM
Yeah, it's just a shame you can't. :(

If by that you are saying that you can't have your knife drawn out at all times then I am pretty sure you are breaking the NDA if you are in beta or unless they released that info and I missed that, either that or you are saying that the enemy will gun you down or something like that

FortySe7en
2012-08-21, 04:17 PM

I'll take wrong for 2000 alex.

VikingKong
2012-08-21, 06:57 PM
If by that you are saying that you can't have your knife drawn out at all times then I am pretty sure you are breaking the NDA if you are in beta or unless they released that info and I missed that, either that or you are saying that the enemy will gun you down or something like that
Nah, we've seen Higgers quick knifing in his streams.
As for breaking the NDA, I wish.

Canadian Vanu
2012-08-21, 09:35 PM

At this point it really isn't practical.

How would the lcd the top of the tank display properly (the bottom is too dark with a tank over it), and how would it react to an enemy viewing from the wrong angle?

Toppopia
2012-08-21, 10:43 PM

How would the lcd the top of the tank display properly (the bottom is too dark with a tank over it), and how would it react to an enemy viewing from the wrong angle?

Thats the problem. But those kinks could be worked out by getting smaller and smaller screens thus having more and more cameras which lets more angles be done. But the bottom of the tank is a doozy. Use the brightness tool maybe :D

Edit: oh wait, if i stand at an angle to a screen, it would look distorted and a different object would be shown than the actual object. I see what you are saying now.

Dominator
2012-08-22, 03:24 PM
Nah, we've seen Higgers quick knifing in his streams.
As for breaking the NDA, I wish.
Yeah I wish I was in beta too, the wait is so boring.

Yeah that is another reason why bending light would work better,

Figment
2012-08-22, 06:07 PM
***39;Invisibility cloak***39; for tanks tested - YouTube