PDA

View Full Version : FanSide: Lore

NewSith
2012-09-08, 11:50 AM
Ok, I know this is not exaclty PS2 gameplay-realted question, but it's about the lore...

I was thinking - Terran Republic is obviously the iconic military force, which is basically a world-wide sanctioned police force. Internal Affairs for such would be MP (Military Police). But what about the VS and the NC. There should obviously be a branch in each of the Empires to deal with renegades and spies, and while it's MP for TR, I can't really imagine a semi-guerella group like NC having some sort of similar organization, because you can't really arrest a mercenary for taking up a better contract. Of course on the other hand, the faceless CEOs can hire hitmen for the matter, but wouldn't that be just even worse than the TR oppressive regime? Not to mention VS, who are just a bunch of scientists, wielding guns.

Hell, even more - who's TRAINING these scientists to wield weapons? It's all obvious for TR, NC have the "mercenaries" excuse, but what about VS? You can't just learn how to fight from the internet and theoretical data... This actually means, that according to the PlanetSide 2 lore (which claims that the immortality was obtained AFTER the conflict broke out, on contra to the original lore), VS would have been wiped out the second they entered the fray.

AThreatToYou
2012-09-08, 12:39 PM
Give a fanatical religious zealot a gun and he or she will have a chance to do just as good in war as a soldier who has trained for years under a much more powerful military force. History has put out numerous examples of this, from the American Revolution, to Japan in WWII, and to the recent conflicts in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. The difference here is the the Vanu also have fancy technology, making the TR not exactly more powerful.

NewSith
2012-09-08, 02:50 PM
Give a fanatical religious zealot a gun and he or she will have a chance to do just as good in war as a soldier who has trained for years under a much more powerful military force. History has put out numerous examples of this, from the American Revolution, to Japan in WWII, and to the recent conflicts in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. The difference here is the the Vanu also have fancy technology, making the TR not exactly more powerful.

Yeah, but Vanu are not zealots, just as TR are not opressors and NC are not criminals. The VS are educated and intelligent people. They are just a group of scientists, not people pushed over the edge... This may mean that they can do the "cold math" regarding eliminating people, but this doesn't make them batter. Especially if we base the lore on the actual game where plasma, energy and lasors don't really give much advantage over bullets.

Besides, the examples you bring can only be applied to NC. What I mean is - tactics, hand-to-hand combat, physical exercises... You can't just get this out of blue, you need ex-militiamen with proper training to pass this training on. In the TR case - it's in their blood, the NC hire mercs, the VS - ???.

Also the examples you bring are a bit flawed, because starting from Japan ending with Pakinstan, the natives are being fought and hometurf is ALWAYS a huge advantage, thet's why they fight decently. In PlanetSide 2 there IS no hometurf. It's just a whole new planet, that noone ever seen or stepped onto before. Aye, and mid-east extrimists are usually trained by guns for hire.

cBselfmonkey
2012-09-08, 05:52 PM
Besides, the examples you bring can only be applied to NC. What I mean is - tactics, hand-to-hand combat, physical exercises... You can't just get this out of blue, you need ex-militiamen with proper training to pass this training on. In the TR case - it's in their blood, the NC hire mercs, the VS - ???.

The VS are run by scientists but hardly everyone in the Sovereignty is holding a degree in particle physics. More then a few soldiers and military commanders that were assigned to watch over said scientists left the TR with them. Some because they were just as fed up with TR law as said scientists, some because they became 'believers' in Vanu. Others probably just because they saw the kinds of weapons and vehicles that the Sovereignty was making and figured those would be a significant advantage in any conflict. Better to be driving a hover tank then getting run over by one.

Point is VS scientists are no more on the frontlines then NC corporate presidents or TR high generals. The guys fighting on the ground floor are, and have always been, grunts.

Canadian Vanu
2012-09-08, 06:43 PM
I always imagined that before the soldier is sent out into combat, they go through virtual reality training, or have the skills implanted into their mind through mental augments.

Heck, for all we know, it could be like Gordon Freeman.

All workers are required to go through a weapons training course.

And if somehow north America was torn apart by war, and a religious figure that I would actually believe in was to arise with proper evidence supporting it's existence, with a faction revolved around it, AND had superior weaponry such as laser weaponry and hover vehicles, I'd immediately get my friends and join em asap.

AceofSpadesX
2012-09-09, 08:48 AM
The VS are run by scientists but hardly everyone in the Sovereignty is holding a degree in particle physics. More then a few soldiers and military commanders that were assigned to watch over said scientists left the TR with them. Some because they were just as fed up with TR law as said scientists, some because they became 'believers' in Vanu. Others probably just because they saw the kinds of weapons and vehicles that the Sovereignty was making and figured those would be a significant advantage in any conflict. Better to be driving a hover tank then getting run over by one.

Point is VS scientists are no more on the frontlines then NC corporate presidents or TR high generals. The guys fighting on the ground floor are, and have always been, grunts.
This seems like the most logical explanation to me.