PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Assaults not Heavy Enough?

Steambot
2012-09-12, 04:44 PM
First of all, I'm LOVING the beta so far. Looking forward to further updates and eventual release. However, I'm having problems with the Heavy Assault, my favorite class.

This may or may not be me just not being a good player, but it seems as if I'm dying far too quickly. I'll be shot for three seconds, with overshield on, and full nano-weave armor certifications, and die? Is that normal? It just seems a tad fast to me.

Looopy
2012-09-12, 04:52 PM
playing tr by chance? the gun spray is totally f'ed right now

Conq
2012-09-12, 05:08 PM
Yeah, it's very hard to play a TR HA, the recoil is uncontrollable and burst fire is just too weak, The survivabillity is piss poor, getting one shot by bolt drivers is just silly.

TTK in general is just to fast, it doesn't matter that we have way better defense than other classes, surviving twice as long just means we'll die in one second instead of a half second. Medics are a FAR better Assault class atm, the only edge we have is the SKEP and at the rate people whine about it, I'm expecting a nerf any day.

EVILPIG
2012-09-12, 05:43 PM
"A tradition of whining"

Sifer2
2012-09-12, 06:59 PM
I have not played Beta in like 2 weeks or so. But from what I remember all Infantry class have the same health/shields. Even Infiltrators. HA only advantage is their activated shield thing but it doesn't do much from what I have seen. So yes currently the only class with any survivability is MAX. I hate to say it seems like they are trying to Call of Duty the game but it definitely feels like it with how fast even HA goes down. Infantry combat is very much who sees who first wins. And if both see each other at same time its down to lag who's shot register first the person near instant dies.

Since my FPS is crappy in big fights I had been pretty much exclusively playing MAX to compensate. Games that are that fast require butter smooth FPS/latency or its unplayable to me.

HorizonBound
2012-09-12, 07:27 PM
I play HA almost exclusively (i'm TR), and I have to say, it's not that bad. I'll typically win against anything other than another HA (unless Ihave the positioning advantage), but it IS a hard weapon to use. In order to truly be effective, you need to to cert into it, with your fist purchace being a scope, and learning to handle the recoil with that. The next thing is the Foward Grip, which is a MUST. It is expensive, but it makes you much more effective in combat than anything else.
I like to use the Laser 4x scope (it's the same thing as the 4x scope At The Moment, but it just sounds cooler) as it helps me scout things out a bit easier, allowing me to plan a bit better and to get a much cleaner shot in all areas and ranges than the reflex sight.

The NC HMG almost always gets the better of me though, because they generally have a higher DPS than either the TR or VS HMGs at their effective ranges.

It's not a bad weapon, it just takes a lot of skill to use, though the TR HMG could tone down the spread, even with the grip down a bit.

CrystalViolet
2012-09-12, 07:34 PM
yeah, they seem a bit flimsy at the moment. I'd like to see their health/shields buffed a bit and a speed buff given to the lighter classes to compensate. This would bring the light assault's run speed more in line with other modern shooters.

Shotokanguy
2012-09-12, 07:57 PM
NC heavy assault has to be worse than TR.

That Gauss LMG is damn near useless at any sort of range. What I would give for PS1's Gauss rifle, or even a Jackhammer. If I have to fight at close range, at least I'll be killing everything.

Raka Maru
2012-09-12, 07:59 PM
Something changed since a few weeks ago I think. Now fighting toe to toe with LA while I am HA means I die. May be shield, but don't know if it's the LMG.

Steambot
2012-09-12, 08:08 PM
I've been playing NC heavy assault exclusively for the most part. The problem isn't that I don't hit anything, that's just down to my bad aim, the problem is that it seems as if the overshield doesn't DO anything. I don't want to sound too whiny, but that just seems like a small problem.

Sunrock
2012-09-12, 09:12 PM
yeah, they seem a bit flimsy at the moment. I'd like to see their health/shields buffed a bit and a speed buff given to the lighter classes to compensate. This would bring the light assault's run speed more in line with other modern shooters.

There is allot of certifications that are locked at the moment for the HA that will do just this.

Enderlance
2012-09-12, 10:14 PM
i have nano armor 4 and i still lose to light assaults due to heavy amounts of recoil and such little damage on the HMG for TR

Sunrock
2012-09-12, 10:27 PM
i have nano armor 4 and i still lose to light assaults due to heavy amounts of recoil and such little damage on the HMG for TR

Read the description of Nanite Mesh Generators certifications. All those are locked right now but they will up your survivability allot when they are enabled in game.

However I some times wonder if damage in this game gets buged. I came up the stairs at some outpost and a VS HA was camping the corner that is above and behind the stares so he just killed me of course. However I only heard 1 bullet being fired and I swear I had full HP and shield. Maybe there was some lag isues there either by the sound or something else. And no it was not a sniper. I know how they look....

Raka Maru
2012-09-12, 10:34 PM
Read the description of Nanite Mesh Generators certifications. All those are locked right now but they will up your survivability allot when they are enabled in game.

HA getting killed regularly by LA that don't have these things unlocked either does not seem right. It was ok a few weeks ago. I even have my front grip.

I haven't tested this yet, but does the flash suppressor decrease my damage significantly?

Sunrock
2012-09-12, 10:47 PM
HA getting killed regularly by LA that don't have these things unlocked either does not seem right. It was ok a few weeks ago. I even have my front grip.

I don't understand. Are you saying that only way for LA to kill a HA is if he fires hit with 10-15 bullets before the HA even reacts? That is if the HA does not have any certifications? As I assume you mean "HA getting killed regularly by LA" means a 1 Vs 1 fight where both start to fire at the same time and stands still during the entire fire fight.

Well my experience from have played quite allot of LA and HA is that HA have a slight advantage over LA in a strait fire fight as described above. However the advantage is more like 2-3 bullets less in favor for the HA not 10-15.

But as the LA can use the jet packs at the same fight as he is fire I have notice that flying up a bit during the fight makes it easier to kill other infantry units. For some reason allot of players are unable to aim high ;) Are you sure this is not what is happening?

Raka Maru
2012-09-12, 11:03 PM
I play LA at times so I know how the good ones move. Don't mind getting owned when I'm out maneuvered.

For my HA, I have 2x reflex sight, flash suppressor, and forward grip. Will try to do some tests when I can get in game again. Even popping the shield doesn't seem to help in a toe to toe straight shot.

Sunrock
2012-09-13, 12:25 AM
I play LA at times so I know how the good ones move. Don't mind getting owned when I'm out maneuvered.

For my HA, I have 2x reflex sight, flash suppressor, and forward grip. Will try to do some tests when I can get in game again. Even popping the shield doesn't seem to help in a toe to toe straight shot.

I use IRNV and lacer dot. I would recomend that you use a lacer dot TBH. It reduces the cone of fire.

Stew
2012-09-13, 02:08 AM
First of all, I'm LOVING the beta so far. Looking forward to further updates and eventual release. However, I'm having problems with the Heavy Assault, my favorite class.

This may or may not be me just not being a good player, but it seems as if I'm dying far too quickly. I'll be shot for three seconds, with overshield on, and full nano-weave armor certifications, and die? Is that normal? It just seems a tad fast to me.

PS2 LMG NC vs TR vs VS - YouTube

Heavy assault is fine as it is , its the class ive play the most and seasm fair to me ... i dont want the class to be overpower ... in term of armor you have a decent advantage over others been heavy assault do not mean been a Tanks , the overshield provide a decent amount of protection but if the guy is skills enough to headshot you then you deserve to be kills like any others class

Heavy assault do have sligthly better protection but do not have a (( slower mooving )) unless you are using the Overshield wich give you a punishement in moovement speed but heavy assault is mostly heavy for one reason he use heavy weaponry , chainguns , LMG and Rockets and have a sligth armor bonus and overshield abilitys

The balance for the HA is in a sweet spot as it is .. but since the last patch all class die faster if you dont maxs out all the protection ! And even if you do so you die a little faster than pre patch but i got use to it now and feel fine to me !

Their is only one class thats can take and thats should take a lot of punishement and its the MAxs units if you want a heavy armored class then play maxs not HA ..

ANd for the others dudes who find the burst fire to be to (( slow on tr )) look at this video lol the bust fire on tr is by far one of the best and also look at the nc recoils and burst fire restriction and youll find your burst firering to be pretty easy and efficient to control

Raka Maru
2012-09-13, 02:52 AM
I use IRNV and lacer dot. I would recomend that you use a lacer dot TBH. It reduces the cone of fire.

Thanks, will try the laser and maybe remove the suppressor.

Raka Maru
2012-09-13, 02:54 AM
PS2 LMG NC vs TR vs VS - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4yRsXfp5tE)

Heavy assault is fine as it is , its the class ive play the most and seasm fair to me ... i dont want the class to be overpower ... in term of armor you have a decent advantage over others been heavy assault do not mean been a Tanks , the overshield provide a decent amount of protection but if the guy is skills enough to headshot you then you deserve to be kills like any others class

Heavy assault do have sligthly better protection but do not have a (( slower mooving )) unless you are using the Overshield wich give you a punishement in moovement speed but heavy assault is mostly heavy for one reason he use heavy weaponry , chainguns , LMG and Rockets and have a sligth armor bonus and overshield abilitys

The balance for the HA is in a sweet spot as it is .. but since the last patch all class die faster if you dont maxs out all the protection ! And even if you do so you die a little faster than pre patch but i got use to it now and feel fine to me !

Their is only one class thats can take and thats should take a lot of punishement and its the MAxs units if you want a heavy armored class then play maxs not HA ..

ANd for the others dudes who find the burst fire to be to (( slow on tr )) look at this video lol the bust fire on tr is by far one of the best and also look at the nc recoils and burst fire restriction and youll find your burst firering to be pretty easy and efficient to control

Thanks for the comparison vid for LMG's. I guess I'm remembering pre-patch, so if I have to get used to dying fast now as HA, Then so be it. Gotta practice more...

Ghoest9
2012-09-13, 02:18 PM
With equal unlocks and equal skill HA completely owns LA.

In a one on one situation the LA isnt much worse.

In a squad situation it isnt even a competition.

Sifer2
2012-09-13, 03:44 PM
With equal unlocks and equal skill HA completely owns LA.

In a one on one situation the LA isnt much worse.

In a squad situation it isnt even a competition.

And Medic is better than both. Especially in a squad situation. AR takes a dump all over the Carbine or LMG. And the difference in survivability of the overshield is barely noticeable. Probably the healing aura helps you more than that. HA is good for one thing an that's spamming rockets at vehicles. LA is only good for trolling with C4. Meanwhile Medic has same health as HA, a better gun, and can spam revive everyone.

Oryon22
2012-09-13, 08:10 PM
Totally hate that my Fission launcher has fucked up sights.

Revanmug
2012-09-14, 11:20 AM
And Medic is better than both. Especially in a squad situation. AR takes a dump all over the Carbine or LMG. And the difference in survivability of the overshield is barely noticeable. Probably the healing aura helps you more than that. HA is good for one thing an that's spamming rockets at vehicles. LA is only good for trolling with C4. Meanwhile Medic has same health as HA, a better gun, and can spam revive everyone.

You forget that the HA is the only one with a decent AV weapon... In a squad, a group of medic and HA can deal with pretty much anything.

Sifer2
2012-09-14, 10:07 PM
You forget that the HA is the only one with a decent AV weapon... In a squad, a group of medic and HA can deal with pretty much anything.

I didn't forget it. I said they are only good at spamming rockets at vehicles. I actually hate the way its set up like that. Where if people see a tank coming they all run to the nearest terminal to grab HA then spam the tank to death. Then switch back to a better class. But that's less a problem with the class itself an more with the new way they handle certs in Planetside 2 which is basically to just give everyone everything automatically. No reason to stick with a loadout that isn't optimal for the current situation when your a terminal visit away from being anything.

Timealude
2012-09-15, 02:18 PM

However I some times wonder if damage in this game gets buged. I came up the stairs at some outpost and a VS HA was camping the corner that is above and behind the stares so he just killed me of course. However I only heard 1 bullet being fired and I swear I had full HP and shield. Maybe there was some lag isues there either by the sound or something else. And no it was not a sniper. I know how they look....

Couldnt have been a VS sniper since they cant one shot you :P

AThreatToYou
2012-09-16, 08:02 AM
Need Striker and Lancer back. Phoenix can stay out though.
At the very least, differentiate the rocket launchers. All of them act like NC weapons right now.

Whiteagle
2012-09-16, 12:48 PM
PS2 LMG NC vs TR vs VS - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4yRsXfp5tE)
Wow, no wonder you see a bunch of Noob Conglomerate complaining their LMG sucks, it's the only weapon that behaves the way all their weapons should!