PDA

View Full Version : The only thing that will keep me from investing in Planetside 2

artifice
2012-10-20, 10:32 PM
So far, I found Planetside 2 to be quite fun. In fact, the only thing that will be keeping me from investing my money into Planetside 2 is the same thing that has kept me from going back to Everquest 2 and Vanguard, the monthly subscription tier.

I will never pay a monthly fee for a game, ever, but I always spend money in the cash shops of games I enjoy. This extra tier of player SOE has created with the monthly fee in their games is repugnant to me.

At this point, I am just not sure about Planetside 2. As I said, I have completely written off Everquest 2 and Vanguard, as well as Everquest 1 because of their monthly fees giving access to things that should be available to everyone. No one should be limited to what gear they can equip and how much currency they can have.

I may play PS2 for a little while after release, but I doubt I will pay money. I just won't see myself sticking around. Especially if that involves sitting in a queue I normally wouldn't be sitting in. Right now there are just too many games competing for my time and money and many of those have better f2p models.

Shenyen
2012-10-21, 02:10 AM
You can't compare the F2P models of EQ2/Vanguard and Planetside 2.

In EQ2, without subscription you are unable to play more than 4 of the 20 races, you can play only 8 of the 25 classes, you can't use items or spells with a higher potency.

You can't form guilds or talk in serverwide chat channels.

The F2P-system of EQ2 is fake, to do anything beyond the most casual gameplay, you need the subscription or at least Silver level (one time payment of 5$).

With Planetside 2, without subscription, your experience gain/resource gain might be up to 33% slower (subscribers gain up to 150% exp, you gain 100% exp).

Oh, and if the server is full, subscribers get priority in the queues.

That's it...

In PS2, without being subscriber, you need more time to get X.

In EQ2 and Vanguard, without being subscriber, you are f***ed.
If you want to play a different healer besides Templar or Inquisitor - subscribe!
If you want to use spells with higher potency thant trash-drops - subscribe!
Dungeons? Pah, you won't be able to equipt anything you might get there, unless you - subscribe!

Don't compare F2P in EQ2/Vanguard and Planetside 2, they have nothing in common.

Monarch
2012-10-21, 12:45 PM
Personally, I find the F2P model of Planetside 2 to be one of the least restrictive I have ever encountered. There is nothing you can't do without paying a dime. I definitely see myself dropping some money on cool armor, but that's just me.

PClownPosse
2012-10-21, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I haven't fully immersed myself in how ps2's FTP model works, but from what I understand, money just allows people to obtain things quicker and, thankfully, is not a "pay to win" model. At least that's what it appears to be, which is good.

And if that's the case, and I find myself enjoying the game, I won't mind spending some money periodically.